The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

So what exactly does the iPad offer that I couldn't already get from an iPhone and a laptop?

Nothing. But then thats not what the iPad is about. Its a luxury item.

Preordered the iPhone 4 for store pickup next week :) Apple have sold out of preorders already and from what I'm hearing, the mobile carriers won't be doing preorders. So it could well be a scramble to get one come June 24th if you're not buying from Apple.

Yep, that's my point. It's not really useful in any way that I can't do its functions on my current gadgets really.

As Flawless says, besides being a luxury, on the surface there isnt much difference.

The absolute differences if you are ignoring the 'luxury' side of things...

1) Smaller and lighter than a laptop - so easier to carry around for holidays, meetings etc.

2) Superb battery life - talking 12hrs+, so no need to carry a charger if you are out for the day.

3) Web Browsing is better than both the iPhone and a Laptop. I dont need (or like!) Flash, so it doesnt bother me. If you want Flash games, then its not much cop.

4) Multitouch increase, meaning its a great multiplayer gaming tool - you couldnt play the multiplayer games on an iPhone or as nice on a laptop (thinking Foosball, Air Hockey, Cards etc)

I'd say thats at least what its better than the other devices at.

Of course an iPhone will do things better (take pics and make calls for a start!) and a laptop will allow you to install pretty much anything on it, where the iPad you are limited to apps (though I say again, there pretty much is an 'app for everything', so most things you can do on a laptop, I'd say would be possible on an iPad in some way).

Its all about personal preference though. I had £500, I wanted one and now its a superb compliment to my main PC and laptop. I'd say during the day I use my main PC 80% and iPad 20% and in the evening, iPad 95% and laptop 5%, so you can see its not something that I've got as a 'luxury' and never use. It fits right into your lifestyle!

When I grow up, I wanna be Steve Jobs.

Pretty much all I do on my little netbook is surf the internet and chat on msn. Could I do both things on the iPad at the same time?

With iOS4 you can.

----

See, I've just thought of another thing. I bring my laptop into work everyday, and it's pretty bulky and heavy being a 17" Dell. So I wondered if I'd be better suited having a thin, light iPad instead to listen to my music throughout the day. But the iPad doesn't have removable storage and I wouldn't get anywhere near my MP3 collection on the iPad. Another disadvantage when compared to a laptop.

I know I can copy over 32GB of music and change as and when but it's more hassle than just having all of my collection with me regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
With iOS4 you can.

----

See, I've just thought of another thing. I bring my laptop into work everyday, and it's pretty bulky and heavy being a 17" Dell. So I wondered if I'd be better suited having a thin, light iPad instead to listen to my music throughout the day. But the iPad doesn't have removable storage and I wouldn't get anywhere near my MP3 collection on the iPad. Another disadvantage when compared to a laptop.

I know I can copy over 32GB of music and change as and when but it's more hassle than just having all of my collection with me regardless.

Use 'AirVideo' and you can stream as much as you want from your home PC - and video too.

With iOS4 you can.

----

You cannot listen to that much music in the day!

What I do is have a 16gb playlist of songs not listened to in the last 5 days that has 'live updating'.

Then when I sync it, it changes all the songs around with fresh stuff :)

Has anyone ever done a firmware update on a jailbroken iPhone?

When you update with itunes i know it will fuck up the jailbreak but does it remove all your apps and settings as well?

Here's a quick question: If I buy an app on iTunes, can I use it on my iPhone and iPad? (if I had an iPad), or do you need to buy the app twice?

No when you download it says you have already paid and lets you download it again for free

Orange’s iPhone 4 tariffs are up on its website, with the 16GB device only free on a 24 month, £75 contract. The device will cost £29 on a £45 per month, 24 month contract. It will cost £89 on a £40 deal, £119 on a £35 contract, and £169 on a £30 per month deal. For £30, customers will get just 150 minutes and 250 texts. 18 month deals start at £229 for the £35 per month tie in. The phone can be bought on the network’s prepay animal tariffs for £480. Meanwhile, the 3GS is available for free on a £35 per month contract.

£75 a month for a free Phone :LOL:

Fuck the iPhone 4! I just bought a 64GB iPad! I'm typing from it as I speak. Damn you Apple!

Pretty much all I do on my little netbook is surf the internet and chat on msn. Could I do both things on the iPad at the same time?

you can do it on the ipad now with IM+. chat on one side of the screen and browse the web at the same time on the other...

Back
Top Bottom