The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Thanks Dags, I'll give O2 a ring :)).

Pbb, I've had Desire and a 3Gs. The desire is better specced and has a better camera, with a flash. But I'd go for the iPhone, because it will be reliable and stable. They are both great phones, it's just about what each person prefers and wants from their phone. They both do exactly the same things, but in different ways which will please different people.

Thanks Tim. So given the choice right now, if you could only have the Desire, or a 3GS, what would you go for?

Is the 3GS too much of a speed drop compared to the Desire?

Though at the moment, I'd take speed over comfort... by which I mean I'd sacrifice some of the Desires speed, to have a phone I'm comfortable with.

How do you find the SatNav compared to the Desires (which I think is superb)

TomTom is fantastic on the iPhone, just real quality and better than Google Maps. Comes at a price though.

TomTom is fantastic on the iPhone, just real quality and better than Google Maps. Comes at a price though.

Dya mean Google Maps in general, or on just the 3GS?

I think Google Maps on the Desire is awesome with Navigation. The road name voice navigation is brilliant, as is being able to zoom instantly into street view to really get a feel for the surroundings if you are lost.

Used it a lot when finding my way to darts matches etc, so its become a valuable tool that I dont really want to lose if I go to the 3GS.

Dya mean Google Maps in general, or on just the 3GS?

I think Google Maps on the Desire is awesome with Navigation. The road name voice navigation is brilliant, as is being able to zoom instantly into street view to really get a feel for the surroundings if you are lost.

Used it a lot when finding my way to darts matches etc, so its become a valuable tool that I dont really want to lose if I go to the 3GS.

Navigation is really good on Android, but I would prefer TomTom if I could have both available. Although Maps for free, compared to TomTom for £80 or whatever it is, I'd go for Maps myself.

Navigation is really good on Android, but I would prefer TomTom if I could have both available. Although Maps for free, compared to TomTom for £80 or whatever it is, I'd go for Maps myself.

Does the 3GS have the better Google Maps on it than the old 3G? The navigation was still good on the 3G, but I like the Voice Nagivation and as the 3GS has a compass on it, I'd expect it to be more inline with the Desire?

The iPhone doesn't have Google Navigation though does it?

It has Maps but no Navigation AFAIK.

The iPhone doesn't have Google Navigation though does it?

It has Maps but no Navigation AFAIK.

It does stepped Navigation, but not (or didnt on the 3G) do the street voice navigation no, just text steps and the map.

It was ok and we used to use it a fair bit, but the Desire is much better.

The 3GS I may be getting is Jailbroken though, so... TomTom? :)

From memory I'm sure it does, it's pretty much the same as a standalone satnav in most respects. It's very good and I never found myself wanting a "proper" satnav at any point.

I can recommend Navigon too. I've used both Tom Tom and Navigon (Tom Tom was.. ahem.. free) but bought Navigon when I got my 3GS as it wasn't jailbroken and Navigon was on sale at £30 (normally I think £70).

There isn't much difference between them

Agreed, Navigon is also superb. Far better navigation in that it does Text To Voice as well, so reads out the street names. "Turn left onto Boreham Road" etc.

I really want to see what the iPhone 4 tariffs are going to be :LOL:. What are the chances that they'll have the same tariffs as the 3Gs?

Back to iPhones ey traitor :)

According to the reviews Navigon is the best sat nav for the iPhones

I really want to see what the iPhone 4 tariffs are going to be :LOL:. What are the chances that they'll have the same tariffs as the 3Gs?

Pretty high. I personally think everything will be identical to that of the 3GS (same tarriffs, same iPhone price on a Pay Monthly, same PAYG prices).

AFAIK, thats how its gone down in the States with AT&T and thats how it went down when the 3GS came out, I think? Everything just moves down one step i.e. 3GS becomes 3G price in terms of tariffs and PAYG and iPhone 4 becomes 3GS price in terms of tariffs and PAYG.

I could be totally wrong, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Saying all of that though, the iPhone 4 does come across like it'll be more expensive to produce than the 3GS was, so that could push the prices of everything up.

Last edited:
Need a micro SIM though Dags. I'm not too keen on cutting my current SIM down to size, although it apparantly would work...

I just spoke to an O2 manager and a Carphone Warehouse advisor and they both said that they will send out a Micro SIM for my O2 Palm Pre £30 p/m 18 month contract when I order the iPhone 4 on PAYG on June 15th. So i'm all set. Just need to know the price for the 32GB one. Definitely getting it in white after seeing all the hands on videos over at Youtube! Cant wait! :)

Yep. AT&T have done something similar in the States and turned all of their unlimited data tariffs and put caps on them. 500MB is woeful!

Obviously O2 thought that unlimited data was fucking them over.

Another reason to buy the iPhone 4 on PAYG and stay on your current contract. Hopefully though, the other carriers won't follow suit and keep unlimited data, opening up the competition a bit.

Yep. AT&T have done something similar in the States and turned all of their unlimited data tariffs and put caps on them. 500MB is woeful!

Obviously O2 thought that unlimited data was fucking them over.

Another reason to buy the iPhone 4 on PAYG and stay on your current contract. Hopefully though, the other carriers won't follow suit and keep unlimited data, opening up the competition a bit.

Wow, thats bad. I heard about AT&T doing it and they released all sorts of stats to back it up (i.e. 95% of people dont use much in the way of data), but think their cap is 2gb.

I'm gonna find out what this means then. I'm pretty sure they cannot change my existing account terms if I dont upgrade...

GiffGaff, which uses the O2 backbone, actually does say it is unlimited properly.

There are some brilliant Sim only deals out now so it makes most sense to buy one on PAYG and stick another sim in it

I'm going on Vodafone and for £20 i get 600 minutes, 3000 texts, 1gb internet and 1GB wi-fi with BT Openzone

Can't fault that :)

Does anyone actually send that many texts? I checked my Vodafone account and I sent 99 last month :LOL:

Nope i send around 200 but if i get 3000 i will be bombarding people with pointless texts :LOL:

Wow, thats bad. I heard about AT&T doing it and they released all sorts of stats to back it up (i.e. 95% of people dont use much in the way of data), but think their cap is 2gb.

I'm gonna find out what this means then. I'm pretty sure they cannot change my existing account terms if I dont upgrade...

Oh yeah they definately can't change your contract to this 500MB cap. If they did, all hell would break loose and people would be cancelling left right and centre.

Just means stick it out with your current contract then jump on a SIM only one at the end of it like the guys above have said.

Thats what I'm gonna do :)

Does anyone know of any program that can find album names so i can get covers in itunes?

So, buy the iPhone 4 sim free direct from Apple when it's released, and ask O2 for a micro SIM card on our current tariff?

Back
Top Bottom