The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

I agree with pbb. The desire has great hardware but buggy software, and it's pissing me off. I had an iPhone for about 2 and a half years, and I can't remember it crashing more than about 5 times.

I'm definitely sold on the iPhone 4 :)).

iphone 4 does look nice. if i had the money I would get one.

Iphone just operates alot nicer and does look and operates 'cleaner'.

Now it has a decent camera with flash etc it is definately much more appealing to me anyway.

Saying all that though, I am very happy with my Hero at the moment and I wont have any money for a while. so it doesn't really matter :))

O2 have said that "customers still in contract will get a limited time special upgrade offer".

O2 have said that "customers still in contract will get a limited time special upgrade offer".

I'm guessing it'll be the same as what AT&T have said in that States that where anyone who's contract expires within 2010 will be eligible to upgrade, rather than having to be in their last month.

standardised apps? what standardised apps you after? i agree the htc desire keyboard is a bit flakey but overal the device is the best device out their at the moment.

There is not a single phone out their thats "perfect" you just have to ask yourself what do you want from a phone.

Theirs a saying as well, Your room is only messy because you yourself dont clean it, not because of the amount of stuff you have on your room. This is true with the desire. if you just install the apps and widgets you are likely to use then i cant see how a desire can be labeled messy.

It just feels 'better' - you have developed Apple Apps havent you? You know about the standards, the UI that they advise, the APIs that they make you stick too.

I may be way off the mark here, but I believe anyone can develop an Android app and use any APIs? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So you know more or less with an Apple App, that at the very least it should work without crashing/lockups and you know how it will work - i.e. options in the settings menu of the iPhone, the layout will be familiar etc. All because they go through each app to approve it before it gets to the store.

Android apps - well, I'll be absolutely honest, I've not found one I'd give more than 6 or 7/10 at the very most. They feel like cheap ports and just not much has gone into standardising the procedures.

Even things like having all the apps in different currencies... just feels a bit tacky.

You cannot deny the App store is probably not going to be bettered. Which is annoying as it could actually do with improving from a UI point of view!

Apparantly Apple said they were going with MicroUSB in June 2009 to fit in with a standard that's being brought in to make mobiles more accessible.

Looks like they were lying then? Another reason for me to keep away from Apple I think. No need to pay extortionate prices for extra USB leads and car chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I sound like such a Fan-Boy! :D

If you are spending that much on a phone dags, does another £2 or so for a cheap Apple cable from ebay matter?

The Desire isnt MicroUSB is it? Its a weird flat connector, but then again, my car has a USB port, so I can just take the USB charger that came with the Desire and stick that in the car, so its not a problem for me.

For my Nexus One, I can buy £1.50 cables from eBay. To get official Apple cables, it's £15 or so. It's definately MicroUSB though, standard fitting the same as a Blackberry.

The only thing I'm missing from Apple is the App Store and the games. Being forced to use iTunes, the specific Apple cables and expensive docks etc, being locked down so much with regards to apps and customisation and real multi-tasking.

The iPhone is ridiculously restricted after using Android. I can see how it's nice to have a standard UI but I also really appreciate that Android lets the devs create the app how they want it. I agree that it does need some kind of suggested guideline though, to try and create an Android look and feel. But I don't like being told what I can and can't do with my phone.

If Android had the games, it'd be perfect really.

One of the advantages of iPad...

Same device Multi-Player.

YouTube - Foosball HD

Like Air-Hockey too I suppose!

That and board games. Me an my missus are loving Carcassone at the moment (iPhone 2x only, iPad coming soon)

Foosball looks quality :LOL:

Carcassone is on XBLA, my gf loves that game as well as Catan.

For my Nexus One, I can buy £1.50 cables from eBay. To get official Apple cables, it's £15 or so. It's definately MicroUSB though, standard fitting the same as a Blackberry.

The only thing I'm missing from Apple is the App Store and the games. Being forced to use iTunes, the specific Apple cables and expensive docks etc, being locked down so much with regards to apps and customisation and real multi-tasking.

The iPhone is ridiculously restricted after using Android. I can see how it's nice to have a standard UI but I also really appreciate that Android lets the devs create the app how they want it. I agree that it does need some kind of suggested guideline though, to try and create an Android look and feel. But I don't like being told what I can and can't do with my phone.

If Android had the games, it'd be perfect really.

Ah right, I thought MicroUSB is smaller and fatter - is that MiniUSB then?

I still agree about the restrictions, but as I say, after experiencing something else, I dont know if its such a bad thing you know...

To balance things up, there is a LOT I like about the Desire. The satnav is amazing as is the Google integration of maps etc.

The screen and camera are also about the best out there currently too (until someone gets hands on with IP4 and says otherwise!).

I dont want to be too down on the Desire as it is a super phone, no question!

Foosball looks well good :LOL:. I'm still impressed with playing Scrabble on the iPad and having your tiles on your iPhone. Genius.

Foosball looks well good :LOL:. I'm still impressed with playing Scrabble on the iPad and having your tiles on your iPhone. Genius.

A few apps do similar things now... one allows you to take pics on the iPhone and they automatically load up on iPad and of course the Jailbreak app, which is a SNES emulator on iPad, controlled by a controller on the iPhone.

Man, I sound like such a Fan-Boy! :D

If you are spending that much on a phone dags, does another £2 or so for a cheap Apple cable from ebay matter?

The Desire isnt MicroUSB is it? Its a weird flat connector, but then again, my car has a USB port, so I can just take the USB charger that came with the Desire and stick that in the car, so its not a problem for me.

<snip> already answered.

Last edited:
Fuck paying £400 to £500 for a 4G

I can get a 3GS for £50 if i sell my 3G so was just wondering if its worth doing

Thanks Dags

Yeah mine is kinda pissing me off with all pauses when doing pretty much anything

I had a look at my mates 3GS and all his stuff was near enough instant and that's what i want

things like this do my nut in and that how mine is with most thing i open or close

YouTube - My iPhone 3G is marvelous #2

Last edited:
Does anyone here know anything about jailbreaking and basebands?

I have unlocked and jailbroke a few phones but this phone i have needs to be restored to default so i can get rid. Its on baseband 5.11.7 so it can still be unlocked hence the reason i'm not upgrading to 3.1.3

Can i go back to Apples 3.1.2 firmware keeping the old baseband so i can jailbreak and unlock again?

I dont want to resore it back to 3.1.2 to find its changed the baseband to a non unlockable 5.12.1

I use that saying all the time.

Bloody hell I want that phone and a ipad now the bastards.

:LOL:

Yeah my nan (god rest her soul) used that saying quite abit aswell ;))

aren't sayings meant to be short and catchy and actually mean something?

You cant use it yet anyway without iTunes 9.2

Paul this is for you :)

ipad-arcade.jpg

http://vimeo.com/12333858

Back
Top Bottom