The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Gonna take advantage of o2 early upgrade offer and get an iPhone 4.

Will cost me £220... Anyone know how much I'll get for the desire? It's unlocked, boxed and in excellent condition...?

Yea one is up there now for 300 and people are saying it's a great price.

Will stick it on tonight I reckon. Gonna have a think about it at darts!

Same here Pbb, will cost me about £240. I'm guessing we'll have to pay more on top of that? Yeah, about another £250 at a guess... And change back to an iPhone tariff. But I think that's the best option really.

Same here Pbb, will cost me about £240. I'm guessing we'll have to pay more on top of that? Yeah, about another £250 at a guess... And change back to an iPhone tariff. But I think that's the best option really.

Why don't you just buy one on PAYG then? Your considering paying £500 and you'll have to start a new contract?

PAYG prices will probably be £450 for 16GB / £500 for 32GB

Why don't you just buy one on PAYG then? Your considering paying £500 and you'll have to start a new contract?

PAYG prices will probably be £450 for 16GB / £500 for 32GB

Thats what im going to do. Im selling my 3GS 32GB and buying the iPhone 4 32GB on PAYG. Will cost me less in the long run and im not stuck a more pricier monthly tariff for another 18 months.

Nah, don't think so? I am on a iPhone contract with o2 anyway, but it doesn't say anything about paying more. Just £20 a month for the remaining months of the contract. They even have a calculator for it online now and it just says to get the iPhone 4, i need to pay £220.

I am gong to go up to the store tomorrow and get some definite answers...

Nah, don't think so? I am on a iPhone contract with o2 anyway, but it doesn't say anything about paying more. Just £20 a month for the remaining months of the contract. They even have a calculator for it online now and it just says to get the iPhone 4, i need to pay £220.

I am gong to go up to the store tomorrow and get some definite answers...

You'll definately have to pay for the phone too!

You'll definately have to pay for the phone too!

Eh? Really? On a PAYG 18mth contract? Surely its subsidised isnt it? £35 x 18months = £630...

O2 Website said:
...You can pay a reduced one-off charge and upgrade straight away to an iPhone 4. To find out more about your charge and the rules have a look our Early Upgrade Offer.

Cannot remember if I paid for the original iPhone on this contract.

Could be in all sorts of trouble now as I've listed my Desire for sale! :LOL:

But if I keep my current tariff I wont have a micro sim card.

O2 have said they'll send out replacement Micro-sims.

I can't see O2 sending out a micro SIM to people who aren't on an iPhone tariff?

I'm hoping to do the early upgrade offer, pay £240 to buy out my current contract, then pay about £200-250 to get the iPhone 4, 32GB, on the £30 p/m tariff.

I can't see O2 sending out a micro SIM to people who aren't on an iPhone tariff?

I'm hoping to do the early upgrade offer, pay £240 to buy out my current contract, then pay about £200-250 to get the iPhone 4, 32GB, on the £30 p/m tariff.

Ah right, I'm already on the iPhone tarrif.

Looks like there WILL be a charge for the phone on the 'lower' *cough* £35 tarrif.

Arse biscuits!!!!

Looking at US prices, its going to be around £150 for the lower spec one.

Really? You honestly think the iPhone 4 is worth £500+ and being tied into a 2-year contract for?

£500 just to cancel your contract, buy the new phone and start a new contract while for 2 years you're paying £35 per month? That's £840 just on mobile bills over the 2 years, plus you add on the £500 and you're talking £1140. For a phone.

As Flawless says, if you're going to be spending £500 to cancel and get the new phone anyway, why are you signing a new 2 year contract and paying a crazy monthly charge for 2 years? You can just buy it PAYG and pay £10-£20 a month for a 30-day sim and get the same mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? You honestly think the iPhone 4 is worth £500+ and being tied into a 2-year contract for?

£500 just to cancel your contract, buy the new phone and start a new contract while for 2 years you're paying £35 per month? That's £840 just on mobile bills over the 2 years, plus you add on the £500 and you're talking £1140. For a phone.

As Flawless says, if you're going to be spending £500 to cancel and get the new phone anyway, why are you signing a new 2 year contract and paying a crazy monthly charge for 2 years? You can just buy it PAYG and pay £10-£20 a month for a 30-day sim and get the same mins.

Nah, definitely not!

But its an 18mth contract, rather than 2 years.

This was my original question, if I'm paying out that much, I wouldnt expect to pay 'again' for the new phone.

But when I thought about it, I am hung up on the £220 that I have to pay.

If someone else only has 1 month left and pays £20, I dont think O2 would give them the iPhone4 for free on the lowest £35 tarrif - makes sense.

I'm not paying out all that, so i've withdrawn my Desire sale... at least until I know more :)

===

Also, I dont think they are going to let you pay £20 a month to cancel the current contract without you taking out a new deal, so thats not really an option (cancelling at £220 and buying PAYG).

Part of the early upgrade deal is that you take out a new contract on an iPhone tariff, and that you cannot switch back to your old tariff.

I'm going to do it because having used an iPhone in the past for over 2 years and then switched to try something new, that I'll be happy with an iPhone 4 for at least 12 months until the iPhone 5 comes out.

Be interesting to see the iPhone 4 tariffs when they are released.

Part of the early upgrade deal is that you take out a new contract on an iPhone tariff, and that you cannot switch back to your old tariff.

I'm going to do it because having used an iPhone in the past for over 2 years and then switched to try something new, that I'll be happy with an iPhone 4 for at least 12 months until the iPhone 5 comes out.

Be interesting to see the iPhone 4 tariffs when they are released.

Apparently all the handset pricing is announced on the 15th.

I'm loathed now to sell my Desire for £285-300 knowing I'll have to pay out another £100-£200 on top of that and sign up for another 18mths at £35.

May just stick it out till May 2011 if I can and then go PAYG and wait for iPhone5 :(

O2 said:
A few rules before you can take advantage of the offer. You have to:
- Have paid your Early Upgrade Offer charge
- Sign up for a new 18 or 24 month minimum term Pay Monthly or 24 month Business airtime contract with O2 with an iPhone at the normal price for that phone and on our iPhone tariffs
- Agree that you won't have a change of mind period and won't be able to go back to your old tariff.

Last edited:
If you can afford to buy the iPhone 4 outright on PAYG, it makes sense. Sell the Desire for £300, put another £200 or so towards the iPhone and you can just carry on in your contract until it finishes and then go to a cheaper 30-day sim.

It just doesn't make sense for you guys to start a new contract when you already have good phones to sell which will raise more than half the money to buy the iPhone outright anyway.

Need a micro SIM though Dags. I'm not too keen on cutting my current SIM down to size, although it apparantly would work...

If you can afford to buy the iPhone 4 outright on PAYG, it makes sense. Sell the Desire for £300, put another £200 or so towards the iPhone and you can just carry on in your contract until it finishes and then go to a cheaper 30-day sim.

It just doesn't make sense for you guys to start a new contract when you already have good phones to sell which will raise more than half the money to buy the iPhone outright anyway.

Yea, see what you mean now.

Just paid out £400 for the Desire though in April - plus £500 for the iPad a few weeks later. Dont know if I can justify another £200+ now to get another phone.

I should just stop being so impatient and wait for my contract to end, then go PAYG. I know if I take out another 18mth contract, then I'll be looking at ways to get out if it in 6 months when something else new and shiny comes along.

Need a micro SIM though Dags. I'm not too keen on cutting my current SIM down to size, although it apparantly would work...

If you've get the iPhone PAYG the call O2 and ask for a replacement sim, I'm sure they'll send you a Micro sim. Even if they say you need to pay £10 or whatever, surely it's better than paying WAY over the odds.

It's like when 3G was just coming out, I'd just got my N95 but had an old sim. I only had to call O2 and ask them for a 3G sim and it was out in the post the same day. If they value you as a customer, they'll get the micro sim out if you ask for it as you're still an O2 customer whichever way they want to look at it.

If they don't, tell them you want to pay the remainder and cancel so to put you through to Retentions to sort out cancellation. I'm 99% sure that Retentions will offer you the Micro sim.

In fact, it could be possible that if they don't give you a micro sim, they're not keeping to the terms of the contract as they're not offering you the service that you're paying for due to them not supplying the necessary equipment that you're paying for.

Seems to me that you're O2's perfect customer. They can charge whatever they want and you'll pay up regardless because they know you want the new shiny and you'll do what they ask. That's the reason that phone companies are so rich really, and if you use your head a little then you can get a MUCH better deal out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
After realising I probably want to go back to iPhone and not wanting to pay out top whack for the '4', I'm now wondering about selling the Desire and getting a 3GS! :)

How much better in terms of performance and spec is a 3GS compared to a Desire? Anyone had both?

I'm after a phone thats quick, has good apps, a good camera (important) and video capabilities - preferably with flash. Will have to check if the 3GS has a flash?

No flash on the 3GS.

I much prefer my N1 over my 3GS. Apart from games, the Desire is better is pretty much every other way. The N1/Desire feels a fair bit faster than the 3GS did.

And with the N1 now able to record 720p video, as well as 5MP camera compared to the 3GS's 3MP, it's a no-brainer.

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.a...C-Desire-vs-_Nexus_One-iphone_3gs-Comparision

Gagh! I dunno what it is about the Desire, its just feeling fragmented.

Like things dont work 100% and its frustrating. The keyboard is the biggest bug-bear, unregistered taps or over-sensitive taps also a problem, obviously the lack of apps too.

Do you think I'm better to root this and install the standard android OS (rather than the Sense UI)? Would that make things easier? Can you even do that?

At the moment, I think the phone feels more of a mess due to the Sense UI as there are a lot of duplicated apps (i.e. "SMS Android, SMS Sense and then I have Handcent installed).

I am someone who likes things simple and uncluttered - part of the reason for going back to iPhone.

And that 720p upgrade, how is that possible - through a software update only?

Thanks Dags, I'll give O2 a ring :)).

Pbb, I've had Desire and a 3Gs. The desire is better specced and has a better camera, with a flash. But I'd go for the iPhone, because it will be reliable and stable. They are both great phones, it's just about what each person prefers and wants from their phone. They both do exactly the same things, but in different ways which will please different people.

I love that I can root Android phones and switch roms. It might be worth giving the standard Android a go before ditching your Desire, I prefer stock Android to Sense UI myself.

720p is software related. You need to have a custom rom installed, then flash some files over that rom.

Also if you install a custom rom like a Cyanogen mod, you can delete whichever apps you don't like so it's as cluttered as you want it to be.

But this all belongs in the HTC thread really ;)

Check out the XDA Developers forum, and especially the Modaco forum, you'll find info on rooting the Desire there.

I reckon I'd miss flash for sure, but the res of the pics doesnt bother me too much as I rarely export them - only to FB occassionally. Just nice to have a camera there if you need it.

With OS4 being a free upgrade too, that adds some things that the Desire has over the iPhone currently, so that brings them a bit closer.

Someone on AVF wants to do a straight swap - a 16gb 3GS with a dock for my Desire. He has priced his at £330, where I initally priced my Desire at £300 and then dropped to £285 to make it stand out amongst all the other £300 Desires that were being listed.

Dunno what to do for the best :(

I love that I can root Android phones and switch roms. It might be worth giving the standard Android a go before ditching your Desire, I prefer stock Android to Sense UI myself.

720p is software related. You need to have a custom rom installed, then flash some files over that rom.

Also if you install a custom rom like a Cyanogen mod, you can delete whichever apps you don't like so it's as cluttered as you want it to be.

But this all belongs in the HTC thread really ;)

Check out the XDA Developers forum, and especially the Modaco forum, you'll find info on rooting the Desire there.

Cheers Dags, good advice - you talk a lot of sense! :)

I dont think from looking round Google that you can remove Sense per-se, just install the stock Android launcher, but I'll check out that forum anyways.

Cheers Dags, good advice - you talk a lot of sense! :)

I dont think from looking round Google that you can remove Sense per-se, just install the stock Android launcher, but I'll check out that forum anyways.

I'm sure you flash a whole new rom over?

Or you could just buy a Nexus One, run FroYo on it and have 720p video recording ;)

Back
Top Bottom