The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Can anyone recommend any more apps and games?

Dunno what you've got already, but my most played are:-

Bejewelled 2
Real Racing
Peggle
We Rule (like Farmville+)
Pinball Dreams
Skeeball
Words With Friends (Scrabble with better MPlayer options)
Baseball Slugger

Apps:

Sky News
Facebook
Echofon (for Twitter)
Amazon Kindle

Dunno what you've got already, but my most played are:-

Bejewelled 2
Real Racing
Peggle
We Rule (like Farmville+)
Pinball Dreams
Skeeball
Words With Friends (Scrabble with better MPlayer options)
Baseball Slugger

Apps:

Sky News
Facebook
Echofon (for Twitter)
Amazon Kindle

Thanks, ill check them out

If anyone has anymore post them here for me ;)

Probably missing something simple here but here we go anyway

Bought a new netbook today with Windows 7 and installed iTunes hoping to be able to just transfer all my songs from my main PC over using the program that was mentioned in this very thread on the last page but its not having it. So as an alternative I set up Home Sharing which though seemingly worked has not actually transferred all the songs to the netbook but kind of networked them so I can access them.

Is there any way that now I have the Home Sharing set up that I can disconnect Home Sharing from my main PC and use my netbook as the main hub for iTunes?

What netbook did you get I'm looking for one?

I bought a hp one from Currys, £250 quid with Windows 7 and a 250 Gig HDD

Cheers Bitter, will look at sorting that tonight

Last edited:
Yeah what Bitter posted got it sorted, why do apple make it so fucking difficult though?!

spilled cider over my 3gs today

most of it hit the screen protector i installed when i got it but still sucks

just knowing i did this feels like shit and i am frightened of it dying soon. dropped it a couple of times aswell. they seem very withstanding but still...hopefully it survives until the 4g hits the market...:(

iPhones are the nuts

Can't believe i didn't get one sooner its by far the best phone i have ever had

Omg - anyone seen the Commodore 64 app? Just installed it from the top 50 free apps - International Soccer is on there.

Brilliant!

How is it mjp?

well, emulation-wise, it's perfect. Bruce Lee is exactly how I remember it.

the joystick is hard to use though but certainly, its worth trying out as it's free (although i ended up downloading Microprose Soccer for 59p in a moment of nostalgic sentimentality last night).

well, emulation-wise, it's perfect. Bruce Lee is exactly how I remember it.

the joystick is hard to use though but certainly, its worth trying out as it's free (although i ended up downloading Microprose Soccer for 59p in a moment of nostalgic sentimentality last night).

I have it installed on my jailbroken 3GS. I have added loads of old roms directly into the C64 app folder. I now have old classics like 1942, Rainbow Islands, California Games, Winter Games, Bubble Bobble, IK +, Elite etc.

Are there any other emus you can put on the iPhone?

An Amiga one has oft been mooted, but nothing yet (its even on the UAE page as iUAE or something like that).

Think there is a version of MAME for Jail-broken phones.

---

In other news... am getting a bit pissed off with the iPhone to be honest. Pound for pound, other phones do most everything better beside the App Store and now the multi-tasking has been deliberatly disabled on 3G phones (what i have), its really annoyed me.

Stupid 2 year contract runs out in May 2011 and asked in O2 yesterday, but they will not upgrade me to a 3GS without me paying up the rest of the contract (about £450).

Will probably dump the iPhone in May next year (will be well out of date by then anyway) and if the 4G(S probably by then!) is no good, then I'll go with something that has a better camera, battery life, options etc and just use the iPad for the App Store.

Interesting, PB, I find myself bored on my iPhone (3GS) after two months and coming to a similar conclusion to you that if it wasn't for the apps then I'd be a bit "meh".

The phone signal (Vodafone) is so so poor it really does pee me off.

However, as a business user, the sync-ing of the e-mails is superior to anything else out there so perhaps I'm stuck with it.

I only had an iPhone for a couple of months and the novelty wore off quickly. Besides the apps and games, it just wasn't that great really.

Quite glad I moved over to Android but I'd love to have the App Store games library and better battery life.

Are there any other emus you can put on the iPhone?

If its jailbroken there are a fair few you can try:

Nes4iPhone - Nintendo emulator for the iPhone. Plays all games perfectly.
Snes4iPhone - Super Nintendo emulator for the iPhone. Runs nearly all games at 60fps on the 3GS.
Genesis4iPhone - Megadrive emulator for the iPhone. Good compatability.
gpSPhone - GBA emulator. Runs pretty much all games perfectly.
C64 - Commodore emulator. Already mentioned.
PSX4iPhone - PS One emulator. Only runs on 3GS I believe. Not really that good.
N64iPhone - Nintendo 64 emulator. Not very good at the moment.
iXpectrum - Spectrum emulator. Supposedly most games work. Not tried it.
Mame4iPhone - Arcade machine emulator for the iPhone. Working ROM sets are hard to get for me.
SCUMMVM - Lets you play the classic point and click adventures from the PC in the 1990's like Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max.

An Amiga one has oft been mooted, but nothing yet (its even on the UAE page as iUAE or something like that).

Think there is a version of MAME for Jail-broken phones.

---

In other news... am getting a bit pissed off with the iPhone to be honest. Pound for pound, other phones do most everything better beside the App Store and now the multi-tasking has been deliberatly disabled on 3G phones (what i have), its really annoyed me.

Stupid 2 year contract runs out in May 2011 and asked in O2 yesterday, but they will not upgrade me to a 3GS without me paying up the rest of the contract (about £450).

Will probably dump the iPhone in May next year (will be well out of date by then anyway) and if the 4G(S probably by then!) is no good, then I'll go with something that has a better camera, battery life, options etc and just use the iPad for the App Store.

Many of the 'fantastic new features' Steve Jobs likes to talk about are actually half broken. For example the multitasking feature is not a true, live multitasking system and it does not work with all applications. For example IM is not supported in the new OS 4.0 multitasking feature since it needs to be 'live' which it clearly isn't. All it does is pauses the program and keeps it in a hibernation type mode and jumps back on when the user selects it. VOIP works slightly differently. The actual background application is paused. All thats running is the actual voice call, but thats already doable now when you make a current call. This multitasking feature has been available for months on rival platforms such as Android, Maemo and WebOS. I have owned a Nexus One, Palm Pre and Nokia N900 and they all offer a proper live multitasking system.

I agree that the iPhone is a fantastic device but its certainly not the 'best'. The main reason im using mine is due to the applications and games especially. In terms of features, the Android operating system platform is far superior. In addition I am getting sick and tired of this stupid fiasco with Adobe regarding Flash. The excuse by Jobs that Flash is a 'buggy mess' is utter nonsense. Just recently Adobe have ported Flash 10.1 to the latest Android devices as well as the Palm Pre. The Nokia N900 currently runs a previous version of Flash and in my experience with it, I never had a problem. I will tell you why Apple dont want Flash and its very simple. With Flash support you get access to thousands of Flash based games via sites such as Miniclip for completely free of charge which would harm their aggressive push for gaming via the App Store distribution channel. Furthermore many video content sites would work again affecting the sales of video through iTunes. Not only that but Apple are trying to squeeze Adobe now by creating a new web standard with HTML5 which will form the basis of their iAd mobile advertising scheme.

If there are no major changes to the new iPhone hardware coming in June, I will most likely end up purchasing the HTC EVO 4G. With Android 2.2 (FroYo) stemming the fragmentation of the operating system its looking like a platform that will be entering a strong maturity phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only had an iPhone for a couple of months and the novelty wore off quickly. Besides the apps and games, it just wasn't that great really.

Quite glad I moved over to Android but I'd love to have the App Store games library and better battery life.

Battery life no good on the Android either then?

Back
Top Bottom