The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

yea thought so... lovely phone but so many cons...
although the pros outway the cons right now

anyone managed to get hold of that new app.. sccope, looks good but i begrudge paying £1.19 for it :P

Any Idea where i can get ibluetooth for 3GS? Cheers

It's only 3G at the moment. They are working on a version for 3.1.2 firmware and the 3GS though, just no solid release date yet.

Have you tried AirSharing? It's quite a good app for transferring files over wifi, which saves you having to use bluetooth.

I've figured out the Categories missing icon issue. It's when an app is updated, it adds the icon to the springboard while it updates and installs, then the icon disappears from the SB as well as inside Categories.

If you go into Categories and delete the app and re-add it, it appears again. Just a heads up if ever you update apps :)

148apps and TouchArcade are my main sites for news and reviews :)

How come you don't have 3.1.2?

reading only bad things about upgrading a jailbroken 3.0 to 3.1.2 somehow

don't want to lose my data either (2500 pics, loads of messages)

OS 4.0 features?

- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- "A few new ways" to run applications in the background -- multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven't had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will "put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers" more than any other phone to date. Everyone is "really excited."
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.

Seems there might be something in this, being reported on quite a few sites.

Sounds good, guess we will wait and see whats actually announced next week

The 3GS supports 7.2Mbps HSDPA connectivity already. The 3G model supports 3.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
My N95 supported HSDPA as well, I don't think it ever picked up a signal from that once. Could be an O2 thing maybe?

Edit: Just read that HSDPA is effectively 3.5g and the icon stays as 3G anyway. I'm pretty sure I did see my N95 show 3.5G at times, not very often at all. Googling around, it seems O2's coverage is shit. I can't get 3G in work for example, my workmate can on Vodafone though.

Looking at the Vodafone website, they're offer is pretty close to what I get with O2 anyway. Might give O2 my 30 days notice tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you asked why it doesn't have a H instead so I guess you thought you weren't getting HSDPA.

How can I stop iTunes automatically selecting all of my apps when I'm trying to sync? It seems random where it'll just have the apps already installed selected, then go and highlight them all the next time.

Bit of a pain in the ass to deselect 140+ apps :(

Plug you iPhone in, open iTunes, click iPhone, then on the tabs at the top, click Apps, then you should be able to tick which ones you want on there.

I can do that bit, manually selecting apps etc. What I mean is it's already selected every app in my iTunes so if I click "Sync" then it'll sync every app.

Sometimes it just has apps ticked that I have on my phone and I can select any extra apps that I want to install (which is how it should be really), but it also has times when it's already ticked every app and I have to manually go through and deselect a load of apps so they dont sync.

updated my 3gs to 3.1.2 tonight (was bored), way easier than expected. kept all my pictures, text messages etc.

awesome. :)

No suprise but still, the Apple tablet has been officially confirmed.

http://bit.ly/aZs6LN

Don't like the sound of it running the iPhone OS. Was hoping for an altered version of Leopard. I don't want a big iPhone! I'm sure it'll be much more though

After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, 802.11n WiFi and optional 3G, as well as an accelerometer and a compass.

There's also a keyboard dock, which connects underneath in the portrait orientation, support for up to 1024x768 VGA out and 480p composite out through new dock adapter cables, and a camera attachment kit that lets you import photos from your camera over USB or directly through an SD reader. The device is managed by iTunes, just like the iPhone -- you sync everything over to your Mac. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today.

The 3G version runs on AT&T and comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month contract-free. Activations are handled on the iPad, so you can activate and cancel whenever you want. Every iPad is unlocked and comes with a GSM "micro-SIM," so you can use it abroad, but there aren't any international deals in place right now -- Steve says they'll be back "this summer" with news on that front.

It starts at $499 for 16GB, 32GB for $599, and $699 64GB. Adding 3G costs a $130 per model, so the most expensive model (64GB / 3G) is $829. The WiFi-only model will ship in 60 days, and the 3G models will come in 90.
Very, very underwhelming. I knew this would be a 'bridge the gap' type of device, but the bridge only reaches half way for me. I wanted something that ran a hybrid of Leopard, not the iPhone OS. If I'm at home, I'd use my Macbook and out and about I'd use my iPhone. The iPad doesn't seem to fit in anywhere at its current state.

An extra $130 for 3G capabilities too, whats that all about? If the 16GB is £399 over here, then I think that's quite a decent price for a new product of this type launched from Apple. I imagine we'll get bummed though and it'll be £499.

As I said in the chatbox, I don't see why they bothered with this. Where's the place in the market for a big iPod?

It's too big for use as a portable music/gaming device, and it's not got enough capacity (even 64gb is small for a computer) or features to be a laptop alternative.
The battery life is good, which would make it good to watch movies on, but $499-699 for a portable media player is a bit much... especially when the iPod/iPhone have a pretty decent battery life (6 hours of video, 30 hours of music, 300 hours standby) and a very good quality (albeit small) screen to watch movies on.

It just seems like something for Apple fanboys and people with more money than sense, you can imagine people getting it just to show off.

Back
Top Bottom