The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

i'm not sure if they can detect it, so in theory, you should never 'get caught'...

if you abuse it, ie. download files and the like, then your usage might raise a few eyebrows at o2, and you may get found out that way, but i'm fairly sure if you just use it for browsing and email, you should 'in theory' at least, not arouse any suspicion...

I would just use it for internet browsing and MSN, that should be OK?

i have to say, i am completely in love with my new 32gb white iphone 3gs.

i had the original iphone, bought from america 2 years ago, and had been using my orange sim card in it, but now i'm on o2, with their unlimited 3g data package, the phone really comes into its own...

as a phone, it is still pretty naff, but as a gadget, it is sescond to none...

i have well over 100 apps on there, and just can't seem to put it down!! the battery is my only gripe, cos it seems i am having to charge it twice daily...

Yeh I got the same phone as you and the battery is utter poo

Twice daily?! :CONFUSE: I charge mine every other night really and that's enough.

Make sure you turn WiFi off when you're not using it, and turn the brightness down too.

how does the auto-brightness work?

i would rather have it on maximum brightness all the time cos it's better for playing games and stuff...

How does this work.?

I already have an o2 contract.

So I just went to order an iPhone and they said I failed the credit check :RANT:

So I rang them and they said there hands were tied.

how does the auto-brightness work?

i would rather have it on maximum brightness all the time cos it's better for playing games and stuff...
It shags the battery though mate. Just turn auto brightness on and have the slider about a quarter of the way across.

How does this work.?

I already have an o2 contract.

So I just went to order an iPhone and they said I failed the credit check :RANT:

So I rang them and they said there hands were tied.

i almost failed it too!!

i had to go down the £100 deposit path, which i get back in 3 months time (well, credited to my account) just because i have moved house a few times in the last few years!

The battery life on the iPhone is the only really bad thing about it to be honest.

Mine's sound as Wi-Fi is off however I hate the auto-brightness its either too dim or too bright!

just wondering what you guys use to convert divx files to use on your iphones???

i've tried videora, which kept crashing, and then tried handbrake which gave an amazing video quality on the phone, but the sound was out of sync by about a second making it unwatchable...

any tips or settings that i should know about?

Videora iPhone 3G Converter works perfectly for me every time :)).

Hello!

Thinking of buying an Iphone outright now and then getting the Simplicity deal sim card for £20 a month with the Web bolt on.

Does the web bolt- on act exactly the same as the free internet if you bought an iphone on contract? so free Wi- Fi 3G and Edge?

Do I miss out on anything if I go this route? do you get more options etc through doing the proper monthly contract with O2?

Cheers :))

All you get is more inclusive texts and calls allowances. The Internet is the same and you have the same usage allowance.

The drawback is that you pay more for the phone, but for me the advantage is that i'm not tied to paying a monthly fee. Once you do the first top up your Internet is free for 12 months regardless of whether you top up after that.

All you get is more inclusive texts and calls allowances. The Internet is the same and you have the same usage allowance.

The drawback is that you pay more for the phone, but for me the advantage is that i'm not tied to paying a monthly fee. Once you do the first top up your Internet is free for 12 months regardless of whether you top up after that.

If I was getting a pay monthly contact it would be 24months - so I worked it all out.

It is 16 pounds cheaper over 2 years to pay for the phones outright and do the £20 a month simplicity. But you also can cancel your contract at anytime and are not stuck on such a huge contract. (Also is the simplicity classed as a pay as you go? or just a pay monthly Sim card?)

After 12 months of the free web bolt on, is there a way of extending it? or do you have to start paying for the internet? otherwise that could be a problem?

You can just get another SIM card with a fresh 12 months free internet on and transfer the number. Then you'll start again.

Otherwise it's £10 a month for the bolt on to get internet privileges.

EDIT: Simplicity isn't PAYG, it's something in between a contract and PAYG. You have monthly minutes/texts but you can cancel at any time after giving 30 days notice.

Last edited:

You can just get another SIM card with a fresh 12 months free internet on and transfer the number. Then you'll start again.

Otherwise it's £10 a month for the bolt on to get internet privileges.

Simplicity is PAYG.

cheers MJ for all the info :DD

EDIT TO MY POST ABOVE. I've just checked and my wires are crossed, sorry :BRICK:.

Simplicity is the monthly payment option. I'm on about PAYG where you get free internet for 12 months after topping up the first £10. If you top up regularly on PAYG you get free minutes and texts to others on the O2 network (not sure how many) and you have a 'favourite place', where you enter a postcode and you also get free minutes and texts to them. Once the 12 months is up you can (cheekily) buy a new SIM and transfer the number, then top up and get another 12 months for free.

Last edited:

People thinking of tethering, you could try this assuming you don't go overboard with it so O2 notice a big change:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/18/how-to-tether-your-iphone-running-os-3-0-without-jailbreaking/

Credit to Ash! :)
ARRRRGGGHHHH :RANT:. I can't get this working with my windows xp laptop. I do everything on the phone, and then turn on tethering and then connect the USB cable. But all my laptop does is say that my iPhone is connected and do I want to download the photos from it. No I fucking don't. I want to use the fucking Internet connection it's got you fucking retarded laptop :MAD:.

I am on firmware 3.0.1 and iPhone 3G 16GB. And as I said, I tried it with my windows 7 laptop and it worked perfectly.

Any ideas?

One thing to clear up here with the whole 'free internet' thing.

The 'free WiFi' is just free access to WiFi hotspots (such as The Cloud) in Wetherspoons and other places. The web bolt on that you have with Simplicity does not include this and is just unlimited web access via GPRS / Edge / 3G.

The free WiFi is pointless to me as you'll more than likely be in a 3G area anyway (in my experience), so your not really missing out there.

So with Simplicity you don't actually get the free WiFi. The only way you can use that is to carry the PAYG sim card around with you that comes with the iPhone as the free WiFi is done using that number.

I did what your planning to do Bobby. I bought the iPhone 3G the day it came out on PAYG and have been on Simplicity since. So much better than those awful iPhone contracts!

Last edited:

One thing to clear up here with the whole 'free internet' thing.

The 'free WiFi' is just free access to WiFi hotspots (such as The Cloud) in Wetherspoons and other places. The web bolt on that you have with Simplicity does not include this and is just unlimited web access via GPRS / Edge / 3G.

The free WiFi is pointless to me as you'll more than likely be in a 3G area anyway (in my experience), so your not really missing out there.

So with Simplicity you don't actually get the free WiFi. The only way you can use that is to carry the PAYG sim card around with you that comes with the iPhone as the free WiFi is done using that number.

I did what your planning to do Bobby. I bought the iPhone 3G the day it came out on PAYG and have been on Simplicity since. So much better than those awful iPhone contracts!

Ah...cheers for that.

But I can still use Wi-Fi in my house broadband and anywhere else can't I? I just can't use the Cloud etc?

Yeah that's right Bob.

With the proper contract you don't just have to use your iPhone on the free wifi from the cloud, you can use any device. So for example I've used my laptop on it before :)).

Thats cheaper - everybody was predicting just over £100.

The only problem with it, I have heard is that you can't use your phone while using it? is that true?

So you can't take a call while it is on? if that is the case then that is ridiculous!

Yes, you can

From the TomTom website:

TomTom has made navigation available for your iPhone 3G. All you need is:

* the TomTom app including the latest maps
(coming soon to the iTunes App Store)
* the TomTom car kit that offers secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions and hands-free calling, while charging your iPhone at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom