The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

i managed to get out of my orange contract!! took all of about 30 seconds with customer rep!

me: i wanna cancel my contract due to your new t&cs...
him: ok, do you want to keep your number...
me: no, thanks...
him: (20 seconds later), ok, that's done for you, it will end on monday...

now, i'm off to buy my 32gb white 3gs...

btw, FlawlessCowboy - is yours a 3gs that you jailbroke with redsn0w 0.8?

edit: sorry mate, just read a few posts up, and you don't have it...

as far as i can tell by reading through the forums on modmyi.com, the 3gs CANNOT be jailbroken from 3.01 firmware?? is that correct?

i managed to get out of my orange contract!! took all of about 30 seconds with customer rep!

now, i'm off to buy my 32gb white 3gs...

btw, FlawlessCowboy - is yours a 3gs that you jailbroke with redsn0w 0.8?

edit: sorry mate, just read a few posts up, and you don't have it...

as far as i can tell by reading through the forums on modmyi.com, the 3gs CANNOT be jailbroken from 3.01 firmware?? is that correct?

You can jailbreak the 3.01 on 3GS, looking at the white n black iphones I prefer the Black one as its flawless!

Glad I could help you mj didn't I over the Orange contract ;)

Flawless what theme are you running on that screenshot there?

Can somebody helpe me got an Iphone 3G with 2.2.1 (5H11) firmware that I wanna jailbreak?

You can jailbreak the 3.01 on 3GS, looking at the white n black iphones I prefer the Black one as its flawless!

Glad I could help you mj didn't I over the Orange contract ;)

Flawless what theme are you running on that screenshot there?

I'm using LockInfo with the LockInfo Matte Theme. To get them you have to add a couple of sources in Cydia.

Details about it can be found in this thread.

I'm still on the old firmware (jailbroken) and havent gone to 3.0 yet. Is there anything I need to do before I upgrade to avoid bricking? Or do I just do the official update and then do the 3.0 jailbrake?
Pretty much. But make sure you restore / update rather than just update.
What do you mean by restore? Does the phone have to be reset to factory settings before I update? I mean, seeing how I have an "illegal" jailbroken firmware on the handset currently, wouldnt I need to get rid of it before I do the official 3.0 update to avoid them knowing about the jailbroken firmware from before?
And another thing, during this whole process, will I lose any apps I've downloaded via torrents or whatever or anything else I currently have on the phone?

What do you mean by restore? Does the phone have to be reset to factory settings before I update? I mean, seeing how I have an "illegal" jailbroken firmware on the handset currently, wouldnt I need to get rid of it before I do the official 3.0 update to avoid them knowing about the jailbroken firmware from before?
And another thing, during this whole process, will I lose any apps I've downloaded via torrents or whatever or anything else I currently have on the phone?

Restore basically wipes the phone before updating it, whereas just updating it does just that. Updates it, leaving all your Apps and what not intact.

So if your currently running on a jailbroken firmware, you should restore and update rather than just update. Updating to 3.0 on a jailbroken phone can mess things up.

If you restore, you will lose the apps. But then you can just sync your phone once its been updated and they'll be put back on.

Plugged into iTunes this morning and downloaded and popped up with new carrier settings available so I downloaded and installed :BLINK:.

I am probably going to order an iphone this week. Want to know what the best cover is for it? or ones that you think are good? or are using?

I was thinking of getting this one, looks good and doesn't make it bulky?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iFrogz-iPho...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249887907&sr=1-2

I was also going to get a 16GB one. A the moment on my ipod I have around 7GB of music. How much do apps and games take up? also can I choose what apps and games I can sync over? so if I do start running out of space, I can just take stuff off and leave it on Itunes? then I can keep swapping around apps and games on itunes depending on what I want on my actual iphone?

Cheers :DD

Yep you can choose which Apps you want on at any one time mate. I'm not sure if they still do the new iPhone in 16GB or not? Someone said the new 3GS is only 8 or 32? As for a cover I'd go for the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD™.

YouTube - invisibleSHIELDâ„¢ - iPhone 3G Scratch Test

cheers mate :DD

I looked on the O2 and the carphone warehouse sites and they both state that the 3Gs is only in 16GB and 32GB.

The old 3G can only be in 8GB now.

Ahh OK, I got it the wrong way round then! :DOH:

Anyone know where I can buy the ZAGG full body invisibleSHIELD in the UK? Cheers.

Does the screen scratch then? I was told before it was almost impossible to scratch the screen....

With the shield it looks almost impossible to scratch it. But without the shield? I guess it is very possible, otherwise why would people buy it? unless they have tricked everybody into thinking it does scratch?!.....cheeky people.

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of extra protection though. Also I think the back of it scratches quite bad, so it would be best to get that.

Restore basically wipes the phone before updating it, whereas just updating it does just that. Updates it, leaving all your Apps and what not intact.

So if your currently running on a jailbroken firmware, you should restore and update rather than just update. Updating to 3.0 on a jailbroken phone can mess things up.

If you restore, you will lose the apps. But then you can just sync your phone once its been updated and they'll be put back on.
Does restore wipe all your other settings and stuff like contacts, SMSs stored on the phone, the music on the iPod, etc?

With the shield it looks almost impossible to scratch it. But without the shield? I guess it is very possible, otherwise why would people buy it? unless they have tricked everybody into thinking it does scratch?!.....cheeky people.

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of extra protection though. Also I think the back of it scratches quite bad, so it would be best to get that.

If its anything like my Nokia touch screen they are very very hard to scratch so buying one would be a waste of money

iPhones are very easy to scratch. I wouldn't risk it, especially if you plan on selling it at a later date. Screen protectors aren't that expensive either, I bought a pack of 3 on eBay for £1, so you might aswell have one on. It doesn't make the screen less sensitive either and just gives you that piece of mind.

Does restore wipe all your other settings and stuff like contacts, SMSs stored on the phone, the music on the iPod, etc?

As long as you sync your phone before restoring it, it will back up all your SMSs, settings etc.

Once restored, when you next plug your iPhone in, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore it from backup. Click yes and all your SMSs and settings are put back on your phone :)

I bought the ZAGG invisible shield for around £15 off ebay a couple of days ago. Add to this my silicone case and the iPhone is completely protected.

:CURSE: Orange won't let me cancel my contract. They said because I ain't went over my minutes in recent months they don't have to cancel. What if I go over my minutes in the coming months? Gonna try again today. :PRAY:

Keep trying. My girlfriend rang and got told the same thing. She tried again and then was told she had been over her minutes and was allowed to cancel. It sounds like a bit of a lottery!

:CURSE: Orange won't let me cancel my contract. They said because I ain't went over my minutes in recent months they don't have to cancel. What if I go over my minutes in the coming months? Gonna try again today. :PRAY:

Yeah it shouldn't matter what happened in the past. Because they are changing the terms and conditions in the future and you can use any of the things they have put the prices up at any time. So you can cancel and if they don't let you, you can and should take it further.

I love Installous!!!!!!! Just trying hard to get The Secret Of Monkey Island!

btw, just wondering if anyone is using the 'tethering hack', instead of paying for the bolt-on, and if so how often do you use it, and has there been any repersussions?

seems highly unlikely to get 'found out', provided you use it in moderation and don't download anything... seems good to go for general surfing and email kind of stuff...

I'm not. Might use it next week though at my Nan's again. What are the chances of being caught? Quite low?

Back
Top Bottom