The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

iPhone OS 3.0 - RELEASED JUNE 17th (Free iPhone, $9.99 for Touch)

* MMS
* Cut/Copy/Paste
* Shake to Undo
* Landscape Keyboard
* Buy/Rent movies from iTunes direct on Phone
* Internet 'Tethering' (connect to PC/Mac as internet connection)

(AT&T getting slammed by the crowd - not offering tethering and no MMS until later in year. Crowd boo-ing!)...

* Javascript running 3x faster in Safari
* Autofill on form fields (info taken from contacts)
* 30 new languages supported in keyboard (woopey-doo)
* "Find My iPhone" - MobileMe customers can log onto website and see their phone location via Google Map (meh... where's the good stuff?)
* Remote data wipe using the 'Find my iPhone' as well as sending an alarm to it.

* In game DLC for apps
* Bluetooth gaming
* Opening support for new hardware accessories
* Google Maps can now be imbedded in apps (good!) and other support for maps (like Geocoding etc) increased
* Enhanced 'push' notifications in apps (good for things like sports update apps etc)
* Access to iTunes library in game for custom soundtracks
* Pretty cool app demoed showing the new 'Push' capabilities - medical data from a live patient being pushed to an app so medical staff can monitor them from anywhere...
* Using new microtransactions, you can buy Magazines/Books/Newspapers from within a new app being developed (maybe US only?)
* Demo'd copy/paste and then email all from within the book app above.
* TomTom GPS app using new Google Map integration - finally have a turn-by-turn Sat-Nav on iPhone!
* New in-car mount to be released to use with new TomTom voice sat-nav!

===

Some nice bits, but nothing ground breaking really. Guess we'll see how devs take to the new APIs and what they can make from it.

Last edited:

New iPhone 3.0 Handset - "iPhone 3Gs" (s stands for 'speed') - RELEASED JUNE 19th

* NO front camera
* Same outer shell
* OS speed increases (i.e. 2.9x faster to load web, 2.4x faster loading SimCity)
* New camera (3MP auto-focus)
* 7.2Mbps HSPDA
* Tap sensitive focus - tap on the area of the screen you want to focus on before shooting.
* Macro Camera
* Takes video (:() @ 30fps
* Video editor on the phone - and then send to YouTube, Email etc from phone.
* Coool - voice control. Hold down 'home' and tell the phone what you want to do - i.e. "CALL TERRY SMITH", or "PLAY AC/DC" etc and it will do it.
* You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you. Or say "play more songs like this" and a genius playlist will be built.
* Native Nike+ support
* Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.
* $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB 3G's' (on AT&T contract by the sound of it - 3G 8gb will be $99)

Last edited:

Eh? There is a 32gb?!

All prices now on O2 site and its not pretty. No upgrade option for existing customers (unless you buy out your current deal at £35 x months left) and then the 16gb is £180 and the 32gb £275.

PAYG (look away now).

* iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
* iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
* iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

I'm more than happy with my (now apparantly) 'slow' 8gb 3G. Not enough features for me to even consider upgrading, so I'm not too miffed!

===

Other price changes;

1 x MMS Message = 4 x Text messages
Tethering = £15 a month for 3gb data!! Should have seen that coming otherwise it will put their mobile broadband out of business.

Really unimpressed with the 3GS. Definately not worth selling my current 3G for anyway, its a mere upgrade. The only thing that I liked was improved battery life and faster phone speed overall.

Not interested in capturing video really. Voice control is available near enough now with apps like Vlingo. Compass is well.. a compass, hardly exciting haha.

The prices are a joke. Shame on you Apple!

Although they will be selling Snow Leopard for an astonishing $30 so I can't moan really.

Oh fuck. What a cuntish price for the 32GB, and no fucking upgrade option? That's bullshit.

:SHAKE:

Welcome to the real world of Apple. ;)

Fairly annoying that we can't opt to upgrade from our current phones till the contract finishes, but hopefully by the time February comes around they'll have a 12-Month contract.

i fucking hate these prices, what is it in us? $199 - with the old 3g 8b now at $99

Free MMS's for me as I'm on Simplicity and have an unlimited text bolt on and 1 MMS = 4 SMSs.

Whoo! :D

:SNACK:

Here too!

All you guys going to get 3GS, I would just stick it out until this time next year. The iPhone mk4 is surely going to be different, i'm expecting a body-form change. I'm sticking to my 3G... though 8GB isn't enough capacity!!

Here too!

All you guys going to get 3GS, I would just stick it out until this time next year. The iPhone mk4 is surely going to be different, i'm expecting a body-form change. I'm sticking to my 3G... though 8GB isn't enough capacity!!

That may be so but I can't wait that long!! I'll take the risk....

I read this morning that they are already manufacturing a new phone for release next year with dual core processors.

Glad I didnt do anything silly to upgrade to the 3GS this year!

Oh yeah btw Ash, did you say last night on MSN that you can't forward messages (something about having to do it manually by copying and pasting)? You can! If your on SMS you press edit then you get the option to forward / delete individual messages.

Oh yeah btw Ash, did you say last night on MSN that you can't forward messages (something about having to do it manually by copying and pasting)? You can! If your on SMS you press edit then you get the option to forward / delete individual messages.

Now just need the jailbreak, TomTom and a syncable To Do List app and iPhone is perfect, oh and GMail push.

The new iPhone looks amazing, I'll probably have to sell a kidney or something to be able to afford it on PAYG though.

I've just tried that tethering thing and it didn't work Ash, I'm guessing because I'm on Simplicity rather than an iPhone based contract?

Can you give it a go and see if it works?

When I go to tethering it still says I need to set it up!

That cheeky tethering thing looks alright. I might try it next week as I'm away at my nans.

I've just tried that tethering thing and it didn't work Ash, I'm guessing because I'm on Simplicity rather than an iPhone based contract?

Can you give it a go and see if it works?

When I go to tethering it still says I need to set it up!

Will try tomorrow. Just jailbreaked my 3.0, so getting some apps ;)

I am now posting from my laptop which is tethered to my iPhone :)). That free internet tethering works a treat!

I've concluded I'm not sure whether to bother risking tethering again. You can do all the stuff I've done on the iPhone anyway, Internet, MSN, YouTube, Facebook etc. So don't really see the point in risking it just to have it on a bigger screen...

How do I get the original profile back on my iPhone now?

Man they really should make it more obvious that you CAN drag and drop music to your iphone. I just saw that checkbox yesterday. They should make it so if you try to drag music to your iphone it should bring up a dialogue box telling you to activate the feature to use it. I always thought it wasn't possible because of this shit, doubt I'm the only one out there that have totally missed it.

Unless they added this in 3.0 but this has been there for years right?

Back
Top Bottom