The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

wifi would be free with your own network or any open networks

3g will be free with my bolton so i will have guaranteed free internet wherever.. so will do me fine..

anyone know of any sites so i can read up on, on how to jailbreak this or wotever. so i can open it up to do pretty much everything?

also anyone know of the new iphones due out, how much they are likely to be....?

You won't get a 3G connection wherever you go Bitter, just most Towns/Cities, so be careful you don't get charged loads of money...

I have a 16GB one :)).

You won't get a 3G connection wherever you go Bitter, just most Towns/Cities, so be careful you don't get charged loads of money...

I have a 16GB one :)).

how do you know if its a 3G your connecting with or not, will it tell you..

Yeah it tells you in the top left corner of the screen, it'll either be "o" which is just a basic gprs connection, "E" which is EDGE, "3G" which is 3G, or the WiFi symbol.

I mean if Bitter has paid for unlimited 3G, but uses Safari when he's in a "o" connection then it'll cost him money.

Well Bitter said he's only paid for unlimited 3G...

the free bolton was web..

not sure what it covers exactly, but i know it covers 3G

Last edited:

Its covers 3G and GPRS just like any i would guess

and free 3G isn't as wide spread as many people think, most of the time the connections you find are locked

GPS is free though but that's nothing to do with t'internet :LOL:

fwiw, i have an unlimited data plan with orange (i know it's not O2) but that gets me unlimtited GPRS and 3G data - it doesn't differentiate between the two...

The free web bolt on is 3G/Edge/GPRS I think? It includes them all

The free web bolt on is 3G/Edge/GPRS I think? It includes them all

Yes it does. I have been on Simplicity for about 6 months now with my iPhone and have paid the same amount every month, no matter how much I use the internet.

Coopz said:
and free 3G isn't as wide spread as many people think, most of the time the connections you find are locked

Don't really know what you mean by this. There's no such thing as a 'locked' 3G connection on your particular carrier.

probably thinking of WLAN or wifi whatever its called

Yes it does. I have been on Simplicity for about 6 months now with my iPhone and have paid the same amount every month, no matter how much I use the internet.

Cool sounds good...now to get a phone to match the excellent tarif...

Any plans for a 32GB iPhone yet btw?

Apparently so. There were some articles a while back posting how Apple were 'gobbling' up all of Samsung's flash memory in preparation for the manufacture of a 32GB iPhone. It seems pretty logical.

But you know Apple. Nothing is confirmed till the day of the conference ;)

EDIT:

Here's the article: Click me

Last edited:

Don't really know what you mean by this. There's no such thing as a 'locked' 3G connection on your particular carrier.

Yeah i meant free WiFi, for if you don't have unlimited 3G/GPRS

Last edited:

I got a call from Carphonewarehouse about my upgrade and I asked about whether I can upgrade my iPhone to a newer model mid way through a contract and they tell me they arent sure about it and that I should contact O2 for more info.
I was planning on going out on Monday to get the iPhone but I'm not so sure anymore. Does anyone know how the upgrading works and who I should do it through? Do O2 upgrade the iPhone for you or do you do it through your phone dealer (eg. CarphoneWarehouse, Phones4U, etc)?

I got my iPhone from the apple store when it first came out, then when the 16GB 3G one came out I went into the O2 shop at Bluewater and upgraded in store.

I got my iPhone from the apple store when it first came out, then when the 16GB 3G one came out I went into the O2 shop at Bluewater and upgraded in store.

Do the apple store do O2 contracts?

Erm, don't think so no. What happened was I bought it from apple, then when I got home and plugged it into my computer it all came up with the tariff's to choose from etc. So I guess in a way they do actually...

I guess my best bet is to go to the O2 store then. My current contract which expired is on O2 so I'd like that number transfered over but I would have thought going to Carphonewarehouse would have been the best place to go seeing how thats where I got the phone from in the first place.

Looking at buying Ipod Touch this site seems to suggest dont buy one now due to updates coming soon any ideas. ?

[url]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_touch[/URL]

I'd hold off. Apple are expected to announce changes to the iPod Touch / iPhone in the next month or two. I'm guessing mid-May, as the 3.0 software will probably drop in June so they'll want to really push that.

Just picked up the iPhone today but having a few problems with it.
First of all, how come I cant drag my mp3s onto the iPhone like I can with my Nanos and Classics? For some reason, the only way I can get tunes on there is if I add songs to my library and then sync the library to my iPhone. And once I manage to get them on there, they're greyed out so I cant delete or edit the info or anything. I thought it was just something wrong with the new iTunes version but my Classic and Nano still work fine.
Secondly, I upgraded from my current O2 contract onto the new iPhone which meant I was supposed to be keeping the same number. They gave me a new SIM with the iPhone but for some reason its doesnt get any network. I'm assuming its still not activated yet (the iPhone is though). The strange thing is that my old SIM which has the same number, still works on my old phone. And when I tried it out on the iPhone, it worked on that too. So now what do I do with the new SIM I got with the iPhone? Throw it away?

On the main page with your iPhone info in itunes, theres a box you can tick to allow you to manually put songs into your iPhone.

LMAO. Thanks for that.
Feel like a bit of an idiot now.

Back
Top Bottom