Sony PSP/Vita

Re: Sony PSP

matherto said:
Syphon Filter and Tekken are awesome, I've not put my PSP down since getting them

I have to agree: i've been playing

1) Syphon Filter
2) Metal Gear Acid 2
3) Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts
4) Tekken DR

I seriously think that the so called lack of quality games is based on a mindset problem or bad marketing. Or, perhaps ppl are just tired of replaying PS2 ports. Not sure, but i think that the recent batch of PSP games has been breathtaking. As games unto themselves, the above titles are of a very high quality and have great gameplay.

I used to have a DS as well, but found the games to be very gimmicky... this so called innovation tends to centre around gimmicky use of the touch screen which i found tiresome, e.g. Nintendogs... f**k i hate that game. Also, the number of rehashed ports or sequels did not get the same criticism from the mainstream gamers, e.g. Advance Wars DS, etc. Personally, I don't mind if sequels are the mainstay of game releases as long as the games PLAY well.

I'm not a fanboy...i've owned consoles from Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft... but i find that the current mindset of gamers is too anti-Sony and too pro-Nintendo.

You moan about the Konami fanboys saying "its shit" about FIFA and then you say exactly the same thing about something else? Excellent intelligent constructive criticism there DJ.

The PSP's games are just poorer versions of PS2 games you've already played and completed years and years ago (a few stand out but not a lot). The DS's games are new, and some the likes of which would never be seen on a PSP (Phoenix Wright is a good, innovative game where you've got to think before you jump in with something - maybe that's not a good one to recommend then).

If you're going to slate something DJ, do it properly (and if you do it without saying "the graphics are shit" or "it's only for kids" then I'll give you a star).

oo...oo.....can I get a star if I say it without the two things you mentioned?

I don't care for gimmicky internet style games, but I know tons who do, so
the DS must not be shit, its just something I don't care for.

Do I get a star?:D

The quality of the games is what I dont like.... ok New Super Mario Bros might be ok.. Nintendogs? what an earth is that meant to be? Mario Kart again the original on SNES is miles better they have ruined it.

PSP takes you into a sorta next generation of Hand Helds as its games represent the Quality of the PS2 both graphically and gameplay wise. The DS doesnt really do anything.

DJ

deftonesmx17 said:
I don't care for gimmicky internet style games, but I know tons who do, so
the DS must not be shit, its just something I don't care for.
I don't care for playing GTA 3 / Vice City for the seven hundredth time, except with worse graphics and fiddly controls, but I know tons who do, so the PSP must not be shit, it's just something I don't care for...

deftonesmx17 said:
Do I get a star?:D
Very good, but no star; you make intelligent posts so you'll have to suffice with the treats normal people get, such as cookies.

Phoenix Wright isn't an "internet game" though. Just because it's not 3D doesn't mean it's easy, gimmicky etc. You've got to be a detective and figure out what's going on. Anyone who only picks something up (or visits a gimmicky website for five minutes) wouldn't be able to get through it. You've got to be intelligent enough to follow somebody's story and figure out where the holes are.

There's naff-all I'd play on the PSP bar Football Manager, and without the 2D match engine it's no good (got too used to it on the PC now). I know zero happy PSP owners, but a fair few happy DS owners.

Seeing as I've got one here gathering enough dust to officially make it a relic, I'd love nothing more than for some fantastic games to come out on it. Bit of a waste of £300 on the Japanese day of launch otherwise...

djdoc360 said:
The quality of the games is what I dont like.... ok New Super Mario Bros might be ok.. Nintendogs? what an earth is that meant to be? Mario Kart again the original on SNES is miles better they have ruined it.
Agreed with Nintendogs, can't stand that game myself - but the Japs love it and so we've got it as well. Mario Kart is excellent in my eyes, but I never played the original ("snakers" ruin the game online, but then cheats do in most of the games I play on the 360 now, the developers need to sell their games to cheats so they don't really care). New Super Mario Bros is fab, FIFA is a good laugh (although FIFA 07 now has players called "#99" in lower league teams where they couldn't be arsed doing more research), Phoenix Wright is so satisfying when you nail a scumbag, Trauma Center makes you shake a bit...

djdoc360 said:
PSP takes you into a sorta next generation of Hand Helds as its games represent the Quality of the PS2 both graphically and gameplay wise. The DS doesnt really do anything.
How is the exact same gameplay as 2-5 years ago "sorta next generation"? Using a stylus is genuinely something new, when the clock's ticking on Trauma Center and you've got to get that spleen out of there you get a bit shakey if you're into it - that's more next gen than a console you've already played for years in a bigger package!

Last edited:

Its more next generation of Hand Helds compared to the N64 and Super NES Driven DS!!

DJ

...both of which have nothing to do with the DS...?

Or are you referring to one N64 conversion and one SNES complete-remake?

In which case, "the DS is more next generation compared to the PSone!!"

Jack Bauer said:
I don't care for playing GTA 3 / Vice City for the seven hundredth time, except with worse graphics and fiddly controls, but I know tons who do, so the PSP must not be shit, it's just something I don't care for...
At least you gathered the point I was making, its just about personal preference.

Very good, but no star; you make intelligent posts so you'll have to suffice with the treats normal people get, such as cookies.
But you said it just couldnt contain "the graphics are shit" or "it's only for kids", which it didn't and I want my star :freak:

Phoenix Wright isn't an "internet game" though. Just because it's not 3D doesn't mean it's easy, gimmicky etc. You've got to be a detective and figure out what's going on. Anyone who only picks something up (or visits a gimmicky website for five minutes) wouldn't be able to get through it. You've got to be intelligent enough to follow somebody's story and figure out where the holes are.
Woah, if this is because I made a generalization about most DS games being more or less internet style games, then I think I should go on about the PSP games that are not PS2 ports(the PSP generalization you have). And since when did I say the games were easy on the DS or anything about a game not being 3D making it easy. Heck, if I remember, most of the games on the NES(2D games) were some of the most difficult games I have ever played. 8)
I know zero happy PSP owners, but a fair few happy DS owners.
Hey, you sorta know me right? I'm a happy PSP owner. I take it with me everywhere.........but I will admit it has almost nothing to do with playing PSP games......and everything to do with playing NES, SNES, and Genesis games.:D

But dont the other games look like they are using some kind of N64 chip? Certainly looks that way to me having played a few games on it.

Agree about the Dual Screens and Stylus though thats about the only good thing I can think of about the DS.

DJ

Im also a happy PSP owner :) yes for Homebrew like deftones but also there are some cool proper PSP games which I have stored on my Memorystick that I play. Its also cool to Dump video's to it and watch them.

DJ

deftonesmx17 said:
At least you gathered the point I was making, its just about personal preference.
I do try! :) And I agree about it being a personal preference, as with everything. Only one console would sell, otherwise! Personally I've never liked the look of the Wii but I can see why people would, now holding a torch and moving it around seems like next-gen gameplay to me (rather than GTA Clone 5 - French Connection).

deftonesmx17 said:
But you said it just couldnt contain "the graphics are shit" or "it's only for kids", which it didn't and I want my star :freak:
Oh pffft... It was supposed to be a one-time limited offer especially for Evo-Web's most prolific poster, but alright. It's in the post. I'd already put corks on the corners so he couldn't hurt himself, you'll have to take them off yourself (or pass it off as an ozzie-star).

deftonesmx17 said:
Woah, if this is because I made a generalization about most DS games being more or less internet style games, then I think I should go on about the PSP games that are not PS2 ports(the PSP generalization you have). And since when did I say the games were easy on the DS or anything about a game not being 3D making it easy. Heck, if I remember, most of the games on the NES(2D games) were some of the most difficult games I have ever played. 8)
Good point, actually. There's a few games on the NES I couldn't finish even when coming back to them on an emulator years later...[/QUOTE]

deftonesmx17 said:
Hey, you sorta know me right? I'm a happy PSP owner. I take it with me everywhere.........but I will admit it has almost nothing to do with playing PSP games......and everything to do with playing NES, SNES, and Genesis games.:D
Emulation, great, even more games I've completed an even longer time ago than the PS2 games!! ;) Haha, joking, I did the same thing. That's all I was using it for in the end, but then it got to the point where I wanted to play GBA games and couldn't because the emulator was too slow. So I decided to splash out on a DS seeing as it could play GBA games, got Phoenix Wright from a recommendation, and that was me hooked. I loved that the PSP is a lot of things in one - I didn't need an iPod to listen to MP3s, for a start. But then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I'd paid £300 for a bulky 1GB MP3 player and a set of emulators (including the PSP titles which, sorry, are PS2 emulations - bar Loco Roco and the like).

djdoc360 said:
But dont the other games look like they are using some kind of N64 chip? Certainly looks that way to me having played a few games on it.
Maybe so, but the PSP graphics are only like PSone graphics so I don't see how that makes any difference really.

Last edited:

Jack Bauer said:
Maybe so, but the PSP graphics are only like PSone graphics so I don't see how that makes any difference really.
Ummm.........this is the only problem I have with your post(everything else was just us talking as there never really seemed to be a disagreement).

You seem to forget what early PS2 games looked like, about on par with PSP games. Now, do you even remember what a PSX game looked like? They looked like utter crap. I'm sorry, but the PSX would never be able to run a port of the GTA3 for PS2 engine and still have it look like GTA 3(let alone look almost identical like it did on the PSP). And don't forget about PES/WE on the PSP, looks miles better than the last PSX ISS/WE. :)

Last edited:

deftonesmx17 said:
You seem to forget what early PS2 games looked like, about on par with PSP games. Now, do you even remember what a PSX game looked like? They looked like utter crap. I'm sorry, but the PSX would never be able to run a port of the GTA3 for PS2 engine and still have it look like GTA 3(let alone look almost identical like it did on the PSP). And don't forget about PES/WE on the PSP, looks miles better than the last PSX ISS/WE. :)
Similar, then - the poly count can't be too far away from PSone to PSP, surely. If so, you can't really notice it (or my eyes are in a bad way - saying that, it's hard enough looking at the size of the DS screen, so maybe it is just my eyes - there's a guy around here who plays the mini-GBA, whatever it's called, and when he offered me a go all I could see was a little square of light with dots on, Christ knows how anybody plays on one of those). To my eyes, the quality of graphics on the PSP is closer to PSone than PS2. Although saying that, graphics mean naff-all anyway. Loco Roco was one of the few games that convinced me not to part with the PSP and that's as 2D as they come.

But in truth, I'd forgotten about PES's graphics actually. When I saw the graphics on that I wasn't too bothered that there was only one stadium. Shame I couldn't play it though, the gameplay is miles apart from the PS2 version (whether it's due to the controls or the physical limitations I don't know). I can't wait to play WE on the DS though - ISS Pro Evolution 2 from the PSone (with up-to-date teams), YES!!

(Any mods watching this, apologies for the off-topicness - I'll go and sup some Vimto for a few hours now)

Last edited:

ISS Pro Evolution 2 on PSX
ME0000045088_2.jpg

PES5/WE9 on PSP
world-soccer-winning-eleven-9-20060921105744157.jpg

I'm going to say that the PSP has a much higher poly count (than the PSX) just by looking at this PSX game next to a PSP game.

That aside, the PSX could only do 360,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second, while the PSP can do 33,000,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second.;)

Last edited:

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it was that big a difference in the stats! :| You can clearly see the difference, though. Must get myself down to Specsavers!

Nah, people just seem to forget how bad the PSX really looked. :(

Think of the PSP as half of a PS2(thats why its not as good as the PS2). When it comes to specs, the PS2 can do 66m while the PSP does 33m. There is other things...........like how some hardware graphical effects done on the PS2 must be done in software on the PSP, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying by now. :)

deftonesmx the thing is compared to MegaDrive and SNES the PSX (all be it very square and blocky) was a big step upwards and ill never forget that.

DJ

I have a running PSX Emulator ePSXe and yes you need a PS1 Bios File SCPH1001 USA Bios is one thats recommended.

DJ

deftonesmx17 said:
ISS Pro Evolution 2 on PSX
ME0000045088_2.jpg

PES5/WE9 on PSP
world-soccer-winning-eleven-9-20060921105744157.jpg

I'm going to say that the PSP has a much higher poly count (than the PSX) just by looking at this PSX game next to a PSP game.

That aside, the PSX could only do 360,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second, while the PSP can do 33,000,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second.;)

imagine what it would look like if Sony hadn't capped the PSP to 2/3 of its power

You mean the fact it runs at 222MHZ and it could run at 333mhz? there are times during WE9 that I notice the game appears to 'struggle along' so you are right.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Cant stand the DS personally I think its shit.

DJ

now that is the truth.

thing is, with Syphon Filter and Tekken being out, it shows more developers are concentrating on bringing great games out for PSP, so the future looks bright. We don't have to do with walking dogs or thinking what 2+2 is either, pah....DS, P.O.S more like

deftones trouble is that drinks the battery power like anything. When I play emulators on my PSP (DGEN for PSP) because it runs at 333mhz the battery runs flat a lot quicker (or at least seems to) so GT4 will drain the battery a lot.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom