Sony PlayStation 3

As compensation, Sony are going to give PSN users 12 months free account protection ... so what happens after the 12 months? We're expected to pay for Sony to keep our data secure?

Amateurs.

As compensation, Sony are going to give PSN users 12 months free account protection ... so what happens after the 12 months? We're expected to pay for Sony to keep our data secure?

Amateurs.

Uhhh.. Shouldn't we have protection like... ALL the time?

This just doesn't make sense.

Isn't the protection regarding bank accounts and any possible fraud resulting in the PSN data loss? Sony will compensate people for a 12 month period if they are subject to loss relating to the hack, but this only applies in the US so I read.

If Sony announce making me pay for protecting my details then they can 100% go fuck themselves. Failing to make our details safe in the first place, then making us pay in the future for the service, probably with a nice little profit margin for themselves, will be one step too far.

What's most disturbing is that everyone's details might be made public knowledge after the next attack? Thinking that names, addresses, card info, everything could be freely available for ANYONE in the entire world to use sends a shudder down my spine to be honest.

But how can a third hack be on it's way when Sony are still rebuilding PSN from scratch?

Last edited:
But how can a third hack be on it's way when Sony are still rebuilding PSN from scratch?

It could be a straight-forward denial of service attack whereby the PSN servers are bombarded as soon as they are switched on again.

In reality this could happen naturally due to the sheer amount of users wanting to get back online all at once.

I don't think PSN will be back to any kind of normality for weeks yet.

What is Qriocity ? I mostly play FIFA 11 . I keep seeing this attach w/ psn .Well , I got the xbox now and will join the 360 boyz. FIFA11 on 360 is much better I just h8 the control. Takes too much room innit.

Last edited:
What is Qriocity ? I mostly play FIFA 11 . I keep seeing this attach w/ psn .Well , I got the xbox now and will join the 360 boyz. FIFA11 on 360 is much better I just h8 the control. Takes too much room innit.

Qriocity is Sony's new multimedia services such as Music Unlimited which works across a wide range of Sony devices including the PS3, PSP, Vaio computers, Sony TV's and soon Sony tablets and phones.

It could be a straight-forward denial of service attack whereby the PSN servers are bombarded as soon as they are switched on again.

In reality this could happen naturally due to the sheer amount of users wanting to get back online all at once.

I don't think PSN will be back to any kind of normality for weeks yet.

Nope, can't see PSN coming back for the rest of May to be honest. How will the PS3 brand recover from this? Anyone buying a new PS3 console from now on will be influenced by this, it'll be the first thing people think of when they walk into a shop and see Playstation on the shelves.

I personally dont see any issues with the credit card details. This was never the reason the PSN Network was breached. By all accounts it had nothing to do with money and fraud, it was simply a vendetta by the Jailbreak community. I'm not worried in the slightest to be honest.

I can see this running on and on.

I'm going to be buying most of my games on the 360 from now on. Live really is a service worth paying for, and 360 games in most cases look better, which is quite astonishing when you think about it.

Sony wanted a war with hackers, and is getting it. But they didn´t realize that the company is the only one that can be seriously hurt in that war, and it´s being...

I'm going to be buying most of my games on the 360 from now on. Live really is a service worth paying for, and 360 games in most cases look better, which is quite astonishing when you think about it.

In my eyes nothing where you play p2p is worth paying for. Dedicated servers, sure that's worth it, but £5 a month for the marketplace ain't my bag baby. I don't really mind paying either but it annoys me how you pay for XBOX Live to play games online that have nothing to do with microsoft, like you're paying to open up new areas of the disc. Is cross game chat, facebook, last.fm therefore worth the £5? Well that's up to the individual.

360 multiplats do look better though but PS3 exclusives look a lot better than xbox exclusives - kind of odd.

Last edited:
In my eyes nothing where you play p2p is worth paying for. Dedicated servers, sure that's worth it, but £5 a month for the marketplace ain't my bag baby. I don't really mind paying either but it annoys me how you pay for XBOX Live to play games online that have nothing to do with microsoft, like you're paying to open up new areas of the disc. Is cross game chat, facebook, last.fm therefore worth the £5? Well that's up to the individual.

360 multiplats do look better though but PS3 exclusives look a lot better than xbox exclusives - kind of odd.

My last 12 month subscription was about £28, which is only £2.50 a month. I don't begrudge paying that, especially when Live is a much more user-friendly experience. Also MS leave Sony in the shade when it comes to PR and keeping their customers informed.

I'm just glad I never paid for PSN, and feel sorry for those that do.

In other news:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34552/PSN_Return_Delayed_Hackers_Publish_Stolen_Data.php

While this has been a major event I think people are going way overboard by saying its a death knell for Sony or by jumping platform.

The PSN will be fixed, great games will come out both digitally and at retail and we will all soon forget about it especially after E3.

My trust with Sony has dropped somewhat. My level of confidence in them releasing high quality games has not dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about jumping platform as such. I've got both consoles yet hardly touched my 360 in the last year since I bought my PS3. During the PSN outage I've spent some time back on the 360 and its made me realise how good a console it is. Sure the PS3 exclusives look amazing but apart from GT5 none of them interest me at all. When it comes to multi-format games the 360 generally wins out.

I'm going to think very carefully about what games I buy for which console rather than just using the PS3 because the online is free (as I have been doing). You get what you pay for and where online gaming is concerned I think I'll be doing it mainly on the 360 in future.

I loved my Xbox 360 but both Sony and Microsoft are just as inept as each other when it comes to communicating with their customers during a major problem. If I remember correctly it took Microsoft close to a year to recognise the RROD/3RL as a major manufacturing error and then to finally give an additional warranty to the consumers.

For some reason the parents have had the router moved into the living room on top of the Sky box (something about Anytime+ ?) and since then I keep getting connection drops on my laptop.

When the router was in it's original place, I still got connection drops on the PS3 every so often, now I fear it's gonna be a whole lot worse when PSN comes back on.

Using an ethernet cable is absolutely not an option so what can I do if my fears are realised and the connection is crap/failing to the PS3?

They say this but why start offering us "PSN identity protection"?
If I buy a console I don't expect my card details to be stolen in the first place.

True Jay, cant argue with that. My point was that the general consensus within the media is all about the credit card fraud being the primary driver. When really, it's anything but.

My last 12 month subscription was about £28, which is only £2.50 a month. I don't begrudge paying that, especially when Live is a much more user-friendly experience. Also MS leave Sony in the shade when it comes to PR and keeping their customers informed.

I'm just glad I never paid for PSN, and feel sorry for those that do.

In other news:

The underlined part is the truth - If you feel it's worth it then it is it.

For the most part i never had any issue with paying for xbox live all the years that i had my xbox, as i used it online a lot. I only started to take issue when i began to play online sparingly and questioned whether paying for it was worth it anymore. By the end i just let my subscription run out. The main disadvantage for me, referring to xbox LIVE, is that i don't play online a lot, couple of times every few weeks maybe, so PSN is a lot easier because otherwise i probably wouldn't play online at all. I couldn't pay to use it for just a couple of times a month.

They say this but why start offering us "PSN identity protection"?
If I buy a console I don't expect my card details to be stolen in the first place.

Could just be an advertising slogan to induce peace of mind perhaps. I'm just thinking about normal people here who don't understand the situation (not like anybody really understands it though) and probably read, and perhaps believed, questionable reports about the PSN outage. Putting 'PSN identity protection' on the box after this whole episode just seems like a common marketing effort.

For some reason the parents have had the router moved into the living room on top of the Sky box (something about Anytime+ ?) and since then I keep getting connection drops on my laptop.

When the router was in it's original place, I still got connection drops on the PS3 every so often, now I fear it's gonna be a whole lot worse when PSN comes back on.

Using an ethernet cable is absolutely not an option so what can I do if my fears are realised and the connection is crap/failing to the PS3?
Get your own place you sponging f***er.;)

Back
Top Bottom