Sony PlayStation 3

No me neither. I'm removing my card from my xbox live too, though like you say, it raises the question whether deleted info is retained in some way.

No me neither. I'm removing my card from my xbox live too, though like you say, it raises the question whether deleted info is retained in some way.

Good luck with that. Can you now remove details online or do you have to speak to the tedious XBL call centre?

It took me about 3 months and several calls to achieve this, but that was a couple of years ago.

I just booted up MLB 09 The Show for the first time in a very long time and successfully downloaded a patch.

about credit cards you could fight it and get ur funds back, no biggie. Chase bank is good about that sorts and I believe it takes 2 days to get a new card and debit is like a walk-in.

only if it is a credit card though. if it is a debit and your money has been took the bank don't give a shit. been there, done that

Just had a phone call from TSB - automated. Just to let me know they're aware of the situation, they're monitoring accounts and there is no need to cancel cards etc etc

only if it is a credit card though. if it is a debit and your money has been took the bank don't give a shit. been there, done that

Bollocks. I have been defrauded twice on a VISA debit card provided by NatWest. Once by some twats at a corner shop who cloned my card and then went on a Lebara Mobile Top-Up shopping spree and then again by some other people most likely at a petrol station. On both counts NatWest immediately contacted me and went through all my transactions. They drew up a lost of fraudulent transactions and after two weeks refunded all my lost money directly into my account. Brilliant service. I don't know who you bank with but what you stated is clearly not the case for everyone out there.

funny that. as i am with natwest and they didn't refund me

however i see the difference, you had a visa debit, which you are covered with a standard debit which natwest used to do before the visa debit, it was tough

so shove that next to your bollocks

funny that. as i am with natwest and they didn't refund me

however i see the difference, you had a visa debit, which you are covered with a standard debit which natwest used to do before the visa debit, it was tough

so shove that next to your bollocks

Ha! You mean the old Switch/Solo cards? Same happened to a relative with a Solo card. Natwest refunded them after a month.

Maybe the bank just hate you?

My bank gives the same level of anti-fraud protection to their debit cards as they do credit cards. Some cunt at Ikea skimmed my credit card and went on an £800 spending spree a few weeks later.....at Ikea! The Nationwide refunded it there and then, they were brilliant about it. I remember receiving information from them saying that this level of protection is now available for debit cards too. So I'm not too worried about it, just need to be vigilant.

To make up for this they should issue a price drop for PSN...................oh

Perhaps Sony should start paying us to use their fucking service.

Fans of Sony Online Entertainment games can breathe a sigh of relief - the great PlayStation Network identity theft hasn't affected them.

"We wanted to update you on the status of our examination of the SOE system intrusion we announced last week," SOE director of community relations Linda Carlson wrote on the DC Universe forum.

"We have been conducting a thorough investigation and, to the best of our knowledge, no customer personal information got out to any unauthorized person or persons. We are continuing that investigation and monitoring the situation carefully; should the situation change, we will of course promptly notify you."

Accounts may not have been jeopardised, but DC Universe Online and Free Realms have been unplayable on PS3 since PlayStation Network went down.

Carlson, hours later, added:

"We apologise for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages.

"To thank players for their patience, and we will be hosting special events this weekend across our game portfolio, including a Double Station Cash day on Saturday, April 30th.

"We are also working on a 'make good' plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms."

Details on that "make good plan", she added, will be available "soon".

Eurogamer - for anybody who didn't read the link somebody posted above.

Could be worse - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

Last edited:
RE: That guy in the video

Hilarious. Ban him once, shame on you. Ban the guy 15 times, shame on him.

2:02 - So many sunglasses.

PSN data leak cost could top $24 billion - Report

Data-research firm tells Forbes price tag of PlayStation Network outage could be catastrophic; Sony offers FAQ, timeline as UK gov't readies enquiries.

Soon, the ongoing PlayStation Network outage will enter its eighth day. The past 24 hours of downtime have seen some dramatic developments, as yesterday Sony revealed that the "external intrusion" that prompted the crisis also resulted in PSN users' information being compromised. Since an estimated 77 million people have signed up for the service, the scope of the data leak is huge.

The PSN outage could prove extremely pricey for Sony.

Even larger could be the cost from the potential information theft. In an article today, Forbes cites data-security research firm The Ponemon Institute as estimating the "cost of a data breach involving a malicious or criminal act" was, on average, $318 per compromised account. Given the most recent PSN population estimate, that formula puts the potential cost as being over $24 billion.

The 2009 Ponemon Institute study that determined the figure, available here, "takes into account a wide range of business costs, including expense outlays for detection, escalation, notification, and after the fact (ex-post) response. [Ponemon] also analyze the economic impact of lost or diminished customer trust and confidence, measured by customer churn or turnover rates."

On the bright side, Sony did say that some PSN services should be restored within a week. Then, late yesterday, it offered some answers as to why it took so long for the company to announce that users' personal data may have been accessed by an outside party.

"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised," said senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold in a statement on the PlayStation Blog.

He continued, "We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until [April 25] to understand the scope of the breach."

Sony also made a further attempt to answers PSN users' questions by posting an FAQ on the official PlayStation website. Though it often declines detailed comment, the FAQ answers a variety of questions, including steps to avoid phishing scams. It also said that Sony was "reviewing options" about potentially refunding customers due to the downtime, which could potentially add to the cost of the outage.

Meanwhile, Eurogamer reports that the British government is launching an inquiry into the PlayStation Network data breach. The site quotes the Information Commissioner's Office as saying, "We have recently been informed of an incident, which appears to involve Sony. We are contacting Sony and will be making further enquiries to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office."

The move comes one day after US Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) called on Sony to offer full disclosure to PSN users if their information was compromised. He also demanded the company offer two years of free access to credit reporting services to check if their credit was adversely affected, raising the prospect of still more expenses for the company.

Source

Looks to me like someone is seizing the moment and trying to put their firm on the map by coming up with this headline grabbing $24 billion figure.

And won´t even happen :P

But the true is that sony is loosing all the credibility that they still had and that will be a key factor when people choose which console they will buy in the future. I honestly don´t trust sony and sony products anymore.

INT. DAY. A BOY IS READING A FORUM.

Self-proclaimed protagonist (soliloquising) - I hope Sony goes under because having a Microsoft monopoly for power driven games consoles would be sweet.

COMMON SENSE ENTERS.

Self-proclaimed protagonist - Oh no it wouldn't actually.

Back
Top Bottom