Sony PlayStation 3

Names, Addresses, email addresses.......spammers paradise.

Sony should have 'fessed-up when PSN was first shit-canned, therefore giving users a chance to inform banks, change passwords etc.

Incompetent fuckers.

Shit a brick, that's totally unacceptable that they've taken a whole week to tell people. I'm not sure if I'll need to go to the bank or anything, there's no evidence apparently so far to show that card details have actually been taken, and if they have, I don't think they include the three digit security number on the back needed to make purchases online nowadays. I'm fairly sure that number wasn't stored in the card details online. But yeah, I think we can all expect some more spam emails from all and sundry.

Nevertheless, screw Sony. After the PS3 cycle has finished, so am I with Sony. They screwed me with my PS3's breaking down due to a known fault that they refused to admit to (yellow light of death) and now they don't tell people that their info has been stolen until a week after the event. I just hope none of us get that email from Sony warning certain people that their info has been stolen. I think Sony said they're doing the rounds with those who they know for sure had their info taken.

Last edited:
I think it's even worse that a lot of people wouldn't have even seen that, I nearly didn't bother clicking the link. So how many people don't know their bank details are being stolen?

Honestly i'm worried about the whole card thing but let's be honest though, if i left my back window open slightly ajar, or shut completely but unlocked, and some burglars came in and took all my stuff i would only slightly blame myself. Most of the blame would completely be aimed at the people who came into my house and willingly took my possessions.

I don't really know what to make of all this between rumour and fact enough to judge fully but if Sony failed with their security then wow, good luck to them and their integrity as a major company........and everybody who put their details on PSN (inc. me).

Seriously though i want to know the full truth behind this rather than making accusations at either side, though Sony have been useless at keeping the public aware of proceedings and that shouldn't be understated at all.

Last edited:
Although I deleted my card details a couple of months back how do I know they're not still in some database on the PSN servers? I'm none too happy to have my name, address and email address floating around out there, plus the other personal details Sony ask for when signing-up.

Sony's handling of this has been nothing short of appalling. They've dithered and kept 70 million people in the dark.

This has the potential to be a shit-storm of epic proportions.

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Clarifying a Few PSN Points

We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a point and answer one of the most frequently asked questions today.

There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion 19th April and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly yesterday evening.

---

Like I said before though, surely any credit or debit cards are
reasonably safe though because they don't have the three digit security code number. You pretty much universally need to use that these days to make any online purchases. Perhaps more concerning though is potential identity theft.

Smeg...

Hacker Breaks Into Sony PlayStation Network
8:14am UK, Wednesday April 27, 2011

The Japanese electronics giant Sony has admitted millions of PlayStation network gamers may have had their personal details stolen.

A hacker broke into the PlayStation video game online network and stole names, addresses and possibly credit card data belonging to 77 million people.
It is believed to be one of the biggest-ever internet security breaches of its kind.
Sony learned of the breach on April 19 and immediately shut down the PlayStation network, but kept quiet about it for a whole week.
In a statement the company said an "illegal and unauthorised person" obtained people's names, addresses, email address, birthdates, usernames, passwords, logins, security questions and more.
The shutdown of the PlayStation network prevented owners of the video game console from buying and downloading games as well as playing with rivals over the internet.
The breach is a major setback for Sony. Although video game hardware and software sales have declined globally, the PlayStation franchise has been a steady seller and is one of its key products.

They never kept quiet about it.
They said Thursday there had been a security breach from an external source. They've had updates on the ps blog every day since then and finally came out about the personal info problem the same day they found out.

They said Thursday there had been a security breach from an external source. They've had updates on the ps blog every day since then and finally came out about the personal info problem the same day they found out.

Hmm I know they had been hacked but I had not seen anything about admitting info had been taken.. Glad my details aren't on there...

They had found there had been attempts at hacking the system wednesday/thursday and took it offline right away then set about determining what damage had been done.
They didn't know info had been taken until yesterday and as soon as they found out, they let the world know.

Yeah but what about people that don't read that shit.

They had found there had been attempts at hacking the system wednesday/thursday and took it offline right away then set about determining what damage had been done.
They didn't know info had been taken until yesterday and as soon as they found out, they let the world know.

And you believe them? I certainly don't. Of course they are going to say that! They're just covering their arses. I refuse to believe that it took Sony, a billion dollar corporation, over a week to figure out users details had been compromised when they were hacked. Surely that was the FIRST thing they checked?

Well It didn't take them over a week. It took them from Thursday when it went offline during the attacks until Tuesday. I'm not sure how your calendar is set out but thats not 'over a week' on mine. Do I believe them? I don't really know. I dibt wirk for sony, i have no insider knowledge. so I'm not going to defend them and say they're faultless, nor am I going to attack them with silly insults and claim they're incompetent and pathetic. Clearly just as Sony could easily be lying here, so can random websites who report they knew this Wednesday and kept quiet.

Until the facts are out I can't form a real opinion on this

Everything a man can encrypt, another man can decrypt sooner or later. There's no 100% protection from hackers in this world, and the ones to blame are the bloody hackers. Really, for all the hate I DO have for big corporations, I DO have a greater hate for all the people who go against the collective.

There's no other motivation to hackers than money or other selfish objectives, which makes them worse than any corporation, no matter how big.

Now, if they were hacking a bank and returning money to the people from the street thas has funded the last "banking crysis" I would applaud them. But really, that's far from it.

This is quite an interesting read in Sony's defence;

http://forums.sarcasticgamer.com/showpost.php?p=645846

It basically argues that Sony have done stuff by the book. They completely shut down PSN immediately when they detected the hack, brought in external experts to rifle through everything, and claim they didn't realise the extent of the hack until just before announcing. Kind of makes sense to me. As the blog above says, it's like trying to find a trojan virus on your computer times a billion. Multi-million dollar company or not, it looks like this even took a firm of outside experts the best part of a week to get to the bottom of it. It's a lengthy exercise.

And besides, I'm not panicking just yet, and I'm not cancelling my credit and/or debit card. Sony actually came out and stated that so far there is absolutely no evidence that card details have been taken, but they state that to err on the side of extreme caution people should basically be vigilant of their details until it becomes clear whether or not such details were also stolen. Even if they were, like I said, those details exclude the three digit security numbers, so it's not like people can use your card to buy stuff. The best they could do was start spamming your email address trying to get more card details off you. Yet I've noticed that Facebook today is awash with people stating that card details HAVE been hacked and that they're cancelling all sorts of bank cards etc.

I'm being cautious but don't feel the need to run to the bank just yet. Sony will tell us if card details were stolen, but for now people have taken their cautionary recommendation and treated it as fact. It's a kind of mass panic.

Last edited:
Now, if they were hacking a bank and returning money to the people from the street thas has funded the last "banking crysis" I would applaud them. But really, that's far from it.

images

:))

Internally, Sony may have done things by the book but I think their PR handling of the situation has been nothing short of appalling. When PSN was first shut down they should have taken the over-cautious approach and warned users that their data *may* be at risk, even if it was just a precaution.

They've kept us all the dark for a week.

The hysteria over card details is a little excessive if you ask me. Surely you need the security code to make purchases and a security password quite often.

all i know is sony will have to come up with something special for people to forgive them on this

True, it's a massive, massive PR disaster. I bet Microsoft are going over their own security checks now, while gleefully rubbing their hands together at all this.

Whether Sony have any blame in this at all, people won't get anything out of this. I think maybe Playstation Plus users will get refunded, but apart from that, my own experiences with Sony over the yellow light of death bricking two consoles, seem to indicate that, on a one-to-one basis with the customer, they simply don't give a shit.

i bet microsoft are loving this.

They probably are, but people in glass houses and all that. They were subject to hacked and hijacked accounts a couple of years ago.

Removing card details from XBL used to be a bloody nightmare, not sure if it's better now. All I know is I'm using prepaid cards on both systems from now on.

Internally, Sony may have done things by the book but I think their PR handling of the situation has been nothing short of appalling. When PSN was first shut down they should have taken the over-cautious approach and warned users that their data *may* be at risk, even if it was just a precaution.

They've kept us all the dark for a week.

The hysteria over card details is a little excessive if you ask me. Surely you need the security code to make purchases and a security password quite often.

Yeah I do agree that Sony should have offered some warning that data could have been stolen, though I suppose Sony would argue that without concrete facts, all sorts of stories would be quickly in circulation. That said, this is basically the worst case scenario that Sony could have announced to be honest.

I've mentioned the three digit number for card purchases, but now that I think about it, didn't Sony already have that number stored too? I don't recall ever having to re-enter any information when making subsequent purchases. Sony do say in their announcement that card info could potentially have been taken but emphasise that the three digit number is excluded. Would that be encryped seperately or more securely or something?

Yeah I do agree that Sony should have offered some warning that data could have been stolen, though I suppose Sony would argue that without concrete facts, all sorts of stories would be quickly in circulation. That said, this is basically the worst case scenario that Sony could have announced to be honest.

I've mentioned the three digit number for card purchases, but now that I think about it, didn't Sony already have that number stored too? I don't recall ever having to re-enter any information when making subsequent purchases. Sony do say in their announcement that card info could potentially have been taken but emphasise that the three digit number is excluded. Would that be encryped seperately or more securely or something?

You could be right regarding the three digit number as purchasing is a case of click 'buy' and that's it. I really want to know if my debit card details will still be buried in their system somewhere even though I deleted them from PSN earlier this year?

I wont be cancelling the card but I will be watching it like a hawk. I normally check my account every day thanks to online banking.

There should be an option to make one-off transactions on PSN in future, rather than storing card data on the account. Never again will I trust PSN.

Back
Top Bottom