Sony PlayStation 3

It doesn't matter with HDMI cables as the signal is digital and you can't lose signal through the quality of the cable. Whether you get a £30 cable or a £1.75 cable the picture quality will still be the same as the signal is still the same. The only real difference is the build quality, so you'll probably get a tougher cable with better materials. I'm still using the free cheap cable I got from Amazon when I originally bought the PS3.

Make sure the cable is 1.3

From Sony's press conference at IFA

sony-press-10dsc_0026.jpg

This is for the Bravia TV's, coming to a PS3 soon...

I hope that when it does, its an actual app like Vidzone, iPlayer is boring in the browser.

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Store Update (3rd September 2009)

From the EU Playstation blog

As I mentioned in last week’s update, I’m not actually here this week, so this is being posted in my absence and I won’t be around to monitor the comments this week.

There’s another varied batch of content this week, with an updated demo for Fight Night Round 4 available (now you can try the punch button layout, rather than the sticks), all the Disgaea 3 additional content has been collected into one monstrous collection, and we also have extra content available for F.E.A.R.2, Pain and High Velocity Bowling. We also have the third Buzz! Junior title available on the store for those who are looking for something for all the family to enjoy.

PSP owners can look forward to Fate/Unlimited Codes and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, as well as the demo for the upcoming Holy Invasion Of Privacy Badman!, and the first pack available for Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?

I’ll be back as usual next week, so for any burning questions I’d leave them for next week’s comments section. Have a good week all.
Downloadable Games

Buzz! Junior: Monster Rumble (£3.99/€4.99)

PEGI 3+
Demos (free)

Fight Night Round 4 (updated version)

PEGI 16+
Add-On Game Content

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin – Reborn Pack (£6.29/€7.99)

PEGI 18+

Disgaea 3 – Complete DLC Pack (£39.99/€49.99)

PEGI 12+

Pain

* Fannie, Le Toot and Ivan Tojakov Character Pack (combines all three individual character packs below) (£1.59/€1.99)
* Fannie Character Pack (£0.79/€0.99)
* Le Toot Character Pack (£0.79/€0.99)
* Ivan Tojakov Character Pack (£0.79/€0.99)

PEGI 16+

High Velocity Bowling

* Back To School Ball Pack (£0.79/€0.99)
* Graphic Pattern Ball Pack (£0.79/€0.99)
* Heather Haughtfer Pack (£0.79/€0.99)

PEGI 3+

Rock Band

* Talking Heads Pack 01 (this pack contains the five Talking Heads tracks listed below) (£5.25/€6.59)
* And She Was by Talking Heads (£0.99/€1.49)
* Crosseyed and Painless by Talking Heads (£0.99/€1.49)
* Girlfriend Is Better by Talking Heads (£0.99/€1.49)
* Once In a Lifetime by Talking Heads (£0.99/€1.49)
* Take me to the River by Talking Heads (£0.99/€1.49)
* Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold (£0.99/€1.49)
* Going Underground by The Jam (£0.99/€1.49)
* Guerilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine (£0.99/€1.49)
* Supersonic (Live) by Oasis (£0.99/€1.49)
* Town Called Malice by The Jam (£0.99/€1.49)

PEGI 12+
Videos (free)

* Batman: Arkham Asylum Gadgets Trailer
* WET Video Short 1

Blu-ray Trailers (free)

* Fast and Furious Trailer

Wallpapers (free)

* The Punisher: No Mercy Wallpapers x2
* Zen Pinball Wallpapers x2

Premium Themes

* Burn Zombie Burn! Theme (£1.19/€1.49)

PlayStation Store via PSP and Media Go
Downloadable Games

Fate/Unlimited Codes (£23.99/€29.99)

PEGI 12+

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (£23.99/€29.99)

PEGI 12+
Demos (free)

Holy Invasion Of Privacy Badman!

PEGI 12+
Add-On Game Content (also available via the PS3 store)

Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? – Marona Of Phantom Island (£2.99/€3.99)

PEGI 7+

Rock Band Unplugged

* Lucid Dreams by Franz Ferdinand (£0.99/€1.49)
* Riad N’ The Bedouins by Guns N’ Roses (£0.99/€1.49)

PEGI 12+
Themes (free)

* DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY THEME 12, 13 and 14

I hated it, then again I am a Burnout Paradise lover so I would say that!

I enjoyed it but it took a while for me to get used to the handling again especially on the 2nd race where the car zooms along like a bullet. I'll definitely be picking it up on release.

MAG BETA CODE GIVEAWAY ON TWITTER! (US Codes so dnt forget to change your location on twitter)

http://twitter.com/SonyPlayStation/statuses/3736767637

Contest Instructions:

* Follow us on Twitter!
* The PlayStation Twitter account will tweet out 4 MAG-related questions throughout the day (9/3/2009). That’s TODAY.
* The first 6 people to @reply the @SonyPlayStation account with the correct answer for each question will win a MAG beta code.
* There will be 6 winners for each question – 24 winners total.
* PlayStation will direct message the codes to the winners by the end of the day.

It doesn't matter with HDMI cables as the signal is digital and you can't lose signal through the quality of the cable. Whether you get a £30 cable or a £1.75 cable the picture quality will still be the same as the signal is still the same. The only real difference is the build quality, so you'll probably get a tougher cable with better materials. I'm still using the free cheap cable I got from Amazon when I originally bought the PS3.

Thanks for the explanation, I am a hardware noob..

Sales of the PlayStation 3 have rocketed 999 per cent over the past week, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

Sony introduced the new, slimmer SKU last Tuesday, and although Chart-Track does not reveal actual sales numbers, Dorian Bloch, director of the firm called the growth "a huge increase".

"The uplift on week 36 on week 35 is plus 999 per cent," revealed Bloch. "We don't give out the hardware numbers, but never-the-less it's a very large increase."

The boost in sales will be a pleasing early start to the Christmas season for Sony, which told GamesIndustry.bizlast month that it expected the redesign to pull in new consumers.

"I think what I've heard anecdotally is that this is the point people were waiting for - a redesigned model and, in Euros, a significant price reduction," said Andrew House, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. "That's people's cue to jump into the business."

The PlayStation 3 has been remodelled earlier in the its lifecycle than the PlayStation 2. The PS2 slim, released in the 24th week of 2004, helped sales jump 310 per cent.

The news follows a climb in Xbox 360 sales of 43 per cent last week, due to the price cut for the Elite model to GBP 199.

This week, sales for the Elite were still up in the region, said Chart-Track, an increase of 29 per cent over last week's growth.

wowza

More high five's in Japan.

According to Enterbrain's weekly sales data, Japanese consumers purchased 152,530 PlayStation 3 units last week, which represents a 7,350 percent increase from about 2,000 units the previous week. This is the highest number of PS3 systems sold in a single week in Japan, ever. Its launch week (which was, admittedly, two days long) garnered totals of 88,000 units.

I rented 'Tools of Destruction' from lovefilm and it's alright but the checkpoints are frustrating and I keep forgetting about all the weapons I have and just use the bog standard wrench and gun so I keep dying. It's pretty good stuff but It's not grabbed me as I thought it would. Could be because Ratchet is a dick though.

The space gameplay has been improved a ton though for the new game:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/ratchets-rocket-a-crack-in-times-new-sapce-gameplay/

Yeah, slight spoilers from Tools of Destruction but he does things like when Clanks trying to tell him that the planet they have the co ordinates to is dead he tells him 'theres no time for that' and then they leave and then after they find its dead he's like 'oh'. Or right at the start his spaceships on the blink and clank tells him its not safe or something and Ratchet ignores him telling him 'oh you worry too much' and then obviously as soon as they take off it fails and they crash.

He's a dick

Is a PS3 worth getting if I already have a 360? I can't see myself getting rid of the 360 as I have a lot of DLC, accessories (these first two are mainly Rock Band related), and games.

Is a PS3 worth getting if I already have a 360? I can't see myself getting rid of the 360 as I have a lot of DLC, accessories (these first two are mainly Rock Band related), and games.
I have both. I go weeks at a time without switching on the PS3.

Some of the exclusives are good - games like inFamous, Killzone 2 etc. - but some aren't (people rave about LittleBigPlanet and I absolutely hate it). Personally I wish I'd never bought one because it was something like £300 when I bought it and I've not been wowed by it. In-fact I think my favourite game on it so far has been Fat Princess!

But it's all down to personal opinion and how much you love the exclusives I suppose, as well as the fact that it's a Blu-Ray player and if you're a film buff (which I'm not unfortunately) it's undeniably value for money.

Depends if there are games on it you'd love to play. There are enough exclusives to keep you happy leaving you free to buy multiplat games on the 360 and boost your gamerpoints. I think unless there are a couple of games you're gagging to play right now I'd leave it for a few weeks until they release some more exclusives like Gran Turismo and Uncharted 2.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks guys. I've been seeing some people on different forums calling it the best thing since sliced bread and was wondering if I was missing out on something big.

I don't know about that. It has some good games so far and has some even better looking games coming (GT5, God of War, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, MAG) but nothing out yet really that I can think of that sets it way above everything else.

I think overall I might've preferred buying a PS3 instead of a 360 since it looks like it'll have a longer lifespan, but now that I've invested so much into my 360 it doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah, when I got my ps3 I traded all of my 360 things and thankfully the DLC i had bought i was fed up of and wasn't using and i didnt have that many peripherals so it didn't hurt to see it all go and have to start fresh. I was also lucky that my gold subscription was in its last months.

If my 360 had lasted longer and I'd have bought rockband on it and more dlc I don't know if I could have parted ways as easily.

I think DLC is a now a very large part of it all, if you have invested in a large amount of DLC, it's going to cost a shed load to get that all back on another platform. The PS3 has alot of strings to it's bow in terms of versatility, I think PlayTV is very good, the fact it upscales normal TV is something even SkyHD doesnt do.

I still think how you get on with the joypad is one of the biggest factors that alot of people dont take into consideration, they just say, oh you get x in this machine but y in that. I have RB and GH on my 360, and have a few exclusives on my PS3, but I also have a number of the same game on both machines, crazy yes, but they are games I know I would always play, so if one machine failed, I can play the game on the other!

Looks good , one thing i'd like to see in the profiles is what games they own so i can delete people that only have one game the same as me.

Back
Top Bottom