Sony PlayStation 3

why not wait until the features are ready before releasing a firmware update then?

this update is pointless for the user. what can a user do with foundations layed out for the feature they asked for? users WANT the feature not some hidden Class object that just lay out the framework to use these features. create the framework, code the features and then release it has a x. feature.

imagine in fifa 10 they created just the framework for 360 dribbling and not the actual feature.

They can't release the features without doing a firmware update earlier. These updates tweak the background to allow a future feature to work. They tweak things about to the point everything works then test the new upcoming feature with those parameters. They have to continually tweak as new games are released to make sure everything still runs perfectly.

We've just been given a bunch of extras along with the usual tweaked firmware that people can play with if they choose to and a slight XMB update with things people have asked for.

-

EA do do the same thing with Fifa - we get BAP as a one off friendly game one year, the following year they use that to build the 4 season long BAP as in fifa 09 and now they've built on that to give us this virtual pro BAP mode.

ahh it makes a little sense. im still not impressed with this new fw though but i will wait anxiously for the real deal.

cheers

God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation Available This Holiday Season! with Trophies yo!

The fans spoke and we listened.

For those that recall the God of War survey conducted earlier this year, an overwhelming amount of the community suggested the PlayStation 2 experiences of Kratos be brought forth to the PlayStation 3.

3873410524_7df72a8c6e.jpg

Thanks to your feedback, we are excited to announce the God of War Collection for this Holiday Season. Now fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic journey of God of War and God of War II in 720p HD form. Both titles have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics, running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience, only on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring the PlayStation Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the very first time.

This is your chance to experience God of War is its true form before the chaos of God of War III hits store shelves come March 2010.

Here’s the full press release: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ion-available-this-holiday-season/#more-15448

:APPLAUD::APPLAUD:

The only noticeable difference in fw 3.0 is the animated themes

Being a bit conveniently selective here Jonneyboy!

BBC iPlayer added to the Video bar for one and the new information board should be very useful.

All in all, its a decent update, its free and it makes the system better - where is there anything wrong with that?

Stop ya moaning!

BBC iPlayer added to the Video bar for one and the new information board should be very useful.

All in all, its a decent update, its free and it makes the system better - where is there anything wrong with that?

Stop ya moaning!

Hasn't it always been free? I hope they don't start charging for fucking Firmware updates?! :CONFUSE:

I don't have a PS3 but iPlayer would be good to have, being able to watch stuff on your TV rather than your PC monitor.

I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 Slim - £229.99 for a 120GB Slim seems like a great deal, I might wait a few months to see if there are any hardware problems though.
Is there anything the Slim really lacks compared to the fat version? It seems the same feature-wise from what i've read.

Stop ya moaning!
shut it, you dont even use your ps3 anymore you traitor ;)

3.0 is live.

iPlayer is VERY nicely done - just watching some Reading Festival highlights.

Friends list is changed a bit, but not a big thing. The new 'Whats new' is cool though and one of my fave features is the new clock/friends info on the XMB screen - very useful.

Worst thing is the new boot up logo, wonder how much the designer who made that gets paid? So amateur.

Is there anything the Slim really lacks compared to the fat version? It seems the same feature-wise from what i've read.

Compared to the 40, 80 and 160 Gb v2 PS3's out there not alot. You cant put a different OS on it like Linux, and there is no big off button sat on the back of it now. Compared to the 60Gb launch machines, no BC at all for PS2, no card readers' and 2 less USB ports.

I think that's it, I sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the EU release was cancelled but they're releasing it soon in the USA and they're still releasing it as a PAL region game in other countries like Australia.

I think they've stalled releasing this game because it had no trophies on launch and they will of had to add them to release it now.

--

BBC iPlayer
You have to reboot your PS3 after downloading and installing the update to get the BBC iPlayer to shpow up - it appears under it's own 'video' tab next to the music tab.

I checked the US store and the LBP theme is $2.99, rubbish.

Premium avatars...its a tiny box for goodness sake.

But you were always able to use the iplayer way before this update

Via the web browser yeah but I read that the application version has some tweaks and features specifically added for the PS3. I can't remember what they were but something about the video size so it's not pixelated or something.

The new friends list looks horrible, also the text in general is far too big. Everything else is fine with me.

The new friends list looks horrible, also the text in general is far too big. Everything else is fine with me.
Agreed, what were they thinking? Especially with the friends list, it's so clunky.

The BBC iPlayer application needs some work though. It's a bit jerky, there's been some picture breakup in the show I'm watching now, and there's no rewind/fast forward options that I can see. Can't see a normal definition/high definition switch either. EDIT: And it keeps doing that bloody screensaver fade after ten minutes! Pain in the bloody arse!

The dynamic themes look great though, the Afrika one that you can get from the Japanese PSN is fab (thanks for the heads-up Rad).

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not keen on the huge text. It's as if the XMB is running at 540p.
The friends list with the boxes is supposed to be part of the new trophies system where you'll be eventually able to display your favourite trophies in the box to brag and if you compare trophies the box will expand and show you a list of games and trophies and list the games they've got platinum on etc right away.

The EU PS3 forums are going a little crazy with people complaining about this update as usual. Most are crying that cross game chat didn't come despite it never being mentioned and the rest are hating the new features like the animated XMB themes (calling them pointless) and the BBC iPlayer (again saying it's pointless as you could do it already via the browser). Then you have the ones posting about how great Microsoft and 360 use your XBL subscription fee are they'd never let the customers down with an update.

So basically what always happens with updates.

Via the web browser yeah but I read that the application version has some tweaks and features specifically added for the PS3. I can't remember what they were but something about the video size so it's not pixelated or something.
It's still done via the browser, its exactly the same

I don't know the answer to this as I'm not home yet but can you switch the screensaver thingy off?
Even if you can, the PS3 has the intelligence not to allow screensavers during normal video playback.

Otherwise you'd be fiddling about with the options of your PS3 every time you turn it off and on again...

Back
Top Bottom