Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread "PlayStation HUB - Online service"

LemonJelly said:
All console manufacturers lose money on hardware, however the amount Sony may potentially lose is staggering and could literally cripple the company if it all goes pear shaped. I agree that the software and accessories will help gain more revenue but it would have to be ALOT of each in order to turn profit.

its exactly the same with Microsoft

matherto said:
its exactly the same with Microsoft

I completely agree mate, but they are only losing $130 per machine, even less for the core system. That is a big difference compared to what Sony may be losing. If the system really does cost $900-$1000 to make, then selling for even $500 (which by the way is too much for the average consumer) they will be making a $400-$500 loss, that is crazy.

Microsoft are way more cash rich than Sony. The Playstation portion of the company is practically keeping the rest of the company afloat, hence why I said it was a big risk.

At the moment its all predictions on cost etc etc, so I wouldn't worry just yet. However to say that that kind of loss can be absorbed is ridiculous.

We will have to see when the official word from Sony comes out :)

DJ

yeh like LemonJelly said every console manufacturer loses money on their hardware. They always make it up in the long run, but make profit during that time on software and add-ons.

But I think people should thing a bit more carefully about all these figures. Im sure, no, positive Sony wont lose so much money that they cant get back. Thats just not business sense.

I think the ps2 only just started making profit in 2005, and the original Xbox has never made profit. That tells its own story.

I think the bigger picture here though is blu-ray. Sony have put a hell of a lot into blu-ray. If that goes to pot I can see Sony being in deep shit. Through all the loses, if Sony loses the nextgen format war they will lose a hell of a lot of money. Thats why I think they are willing to take a massive hit on PS3, coz they know if they get as many machines into peoples homes blu-ray should win. And the royalties they'll recieve after that would more than cover any losses.

Theres also the 'get one over your enemy' factor. Can you imagine how smug Sony would be if Microsoft asked to buy the rights to make a blu-ray drive add-on for the 360?

even though I admire the PS more than xbox, for some reason I dont want blu-ray to win. Just feel like Sony are being all 'Microsoft' and trying to control everything. They shoudve just left it HD-DVD. I cant see any game using a dual layer blu-ray ever. Greedy barstewards.

The predicted drop in costs in 3 years is HUGE. So maybe making a big loss isnt such a bad thing if its only gonna be for 3 years. Cuz after that, they'll be making enough profit if they live up to their hype.

someone got their hands on the playstation 3 controller?! or just a good photoshop job. no one knows....
what7phps3contjoy.jpg

picture from joystiq.com

lol...I would believe it perhaps if the background was in a conference room showcasing the PS3. But its in some random's bedroom. Either he made a replica (looks v good btw) or its photoshopped.

I'll say its the latter as the lighting on the joypad (esp the top bit) looks disjointed from the rest of the photo.

Come to think about it...who cares? We still ain't seen the main thing.

Brilliant, cheers TG, I now have my PS3 controller!!!! ;) :D

:) I see the boomerang fits the hands well.... not lol

DJ

Just noticed that the dpad and the face buttons kinda tilt into the pad a little.
Must be comfortable if they went into that much detail.

SONY: STILL "AIMING FOR SPRING" WITH PS3

However, a big, brooding cloud of delay looms over the launch courtesy of the console's internal technology

12:47 Sony Computer Entertainment has admitted that it's still aiming for a spring launch for PS3, although the console's internal technology could force it to re-evaluate release plans.
According to a report on Reuters, SCE is still awaiting final specification - from industry consortiums - on hardware related to the likes of PS3s' Blu-ray drive and video and audio input and output.

A spokesperson for the company explained that SCE is waiting for the specifications "until the last possible minute" but confirmed that "the launch could be pushed back if they're not decided soon". The spokesperson apparently went on to say that, should the hardware specifications not be with SCE in time, it will go back to the drawing board with PS3 launch plans and determine a new 'best time' to hand us PS3.
It's a worrying picture being painted for fans, although bold comments from Sony Computer Entertainment's Kei Sakaguchi given around the same time do cast doubts on what's been said about the hardware specifications issue. According to Sakaguchi, you see, "There is no change in our original plan to release the console in spring 2006."
Anyway, even if Sony does launch PS3 in spring, it's likely we'll be waiting several months beyond on these shores.

While re-affirming a desire for a spring launch for the next-gen console, the SCE spokesperson talking to Reuters added that "we haven't announced specific regions" - it's widely expected however that the machine will debut in Japan, with North America and Europe following.

Recent reports have claimed to have stumbled across concrete info revealing Sony's plan to release PS3 over here in March 2007, but until we receive official word we'll continue to label that one 'pure rumour'.

I am liking the look of the new Limited Edition PS3 Controller

jeremybeadleplaystation.jpg

DVorak says Cell may rival X86

In a recent article on foxnews, John Dvorak (known for his commentary on IT related matters) has taken a fairly thorough look at the PC chip manufacturing business and sees the Cell as a possible alternative to the current monoculture in the industry.

So I'm looking for a new platform to arrive, and there is already talk about the new IBM/Sony/Toshiba Cell chip becoming a PC platform.

He goes on to describe the possibilities of the Cell coming to the desktop and other devices. With IBM recently making announcements of development of Cell based Blade servers, the application of the Cell is not going to be kept purely to the domain of the Playstation 3.

Additionally with technologies like the Octopiler from IBM, the Cell doesnt necessarily have to be an extremely difficult piece of hardware to develop on.

Dvorak contends that the newer technology may or may not see its way to the desktop in the future. The Cell has the potential to provide truly amazing performance, nearing super-computer type specifications. To see this CPU make its way to the desktop market would see a whole factor increase in the performance of desktop applications and games. Who knows, it may happen.

source : http://ps3.qj.net/DVorak-says-Cell-may-rival-X86/pg/49/aid/5181

thats the american version, lucky mo fo's ;)

I forget this big news :

PS3 launch this month ?

For PlayStation fans that are wanting to get a hold of a PlayStation 3 early, a US based auction site is putting up 10 of them later this month. Could this be a sign of the release of the PS3?

The auction site Uniqueauction.com could be a boon for gamers desperate to get their hands on a PlayStation 3. Unlike traditional auctions, the auctions at Uniqueauction.com are capped at 20% above retail price. The nearest bidder under this 20% cap wins the auction.

With this in mind, it means people will also be able to get an indication of the expected retail price of the PlayStation 3. From our other sources this seems to align itself with Sony launching later this month, or early April, which goes against the current general feeling of the media in the industry.

Some additional info has turned up, with an interview with Uniqueauctions spokesperson Scott Ledingham over at PS3News. The plot thickens

source : http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-launch-this-month-/pg/49/aid/5360

The statement is not accurate over at ps3.qj. The interview below says enough. They expect one advance ps3 and the rest of the sales will be sent out on the official release date.

Home
Sony PS3 Available At Unique Auction Middle Of March
Unique Auction to begin PS3 auctions within a few weeks

Last year UniiqueAuction were able to sell 100’s of Xbox 360’s at a fraction of the regular retail price. With the recent rumors of the Sony PS3 retailing for anywhere from $500-$700, Unique Auction are hoping to continue their success while at the same time offer gamers next gen console at an unbelievable price.

Earlier today we had the chance to talk with Unique Auction about their “unique” system and the launch of the PS3. UA spokesperson, Scott Ledingham believes that UA will have one PS3 within a few weeks, which of course will be available to the winner with the highest unique bid.

Below is the Interview

When do you expect to get the Sony PS3?
We expect to have at least one PS3 in hand by mid-march.

When will they go on auction?
In mid-march, the PS3 auctions will begin on UniqueAuction, with the console being available for under $10.00.

How many will go on auction?
Depending on the success of the auctions, we should have multiple auctions, one after the other, including one hour auctions. The auctions held before the official launch date will guarantee the winners a PS3 upon its release.

We will have one advanced copy of the PS3 that will be sent out to the winner, all other auctions won before the official launch date will guarantee the winners a PS3 upon its release.

Much like retailers that get an advanced console prior to release for display purposes, we will also get one in advance.

Will this be a one time deal?
As long as the PS3 is popular, we will continue to make it available on UniqueAuction for a fraction of the price. We continue to sell the Xbox 360 for no more than $4.34 and still get a tremendous response from those auctions.

How is this possible? Can a PS3 really be sold for under $10.00?
Unlike traditional auction sites, it's not the highest bid that wins; it's the most 'unique' bid that wins - a number that no other bidder has selected. For example, if the PS3 retails for $700.00, UA will have a ceiling price for the console for as low as $7.00. Users can pick numbers from anywhere between 0.01 and $7.00, at a cost of $2.00 for regular members, and $1.00 for Platinum per selection or “bid”

Let's say three people bid $7.00, two people bid $6.99 and one person bids $6.98, then the "most unique bid" would be $6.98. This means the winner will only pay $6.98 for the sought after system.

The small bidding fee that is charged per bid ($2.00 for regular members, $1.00 for platinum members) covers the cost of the PS3, allowing UA to auction it off for so low.

Will there by any games with the consoles?
When the games are released, we will make them available for auction. We currently have Xbox 360 games for under a dollar, and the same will be done for PS3 games.

How did you secure such a great opportunity?
During the Xbox 360 launch, we purchased hundreds of consoles, making a number of contacts within the gaming market during that time. These contacts are allowing us to pre-order and even get an advance copy of the PS3.

Do you have tentative plans to do the same with the Nintendo Revolution?

Absolutely. Anytime a hot new item is released, you�ll find it on UniqueAuction at one percent of the retail value. Currently on the site there's a $100,000 dream wedding, exotic vacations, 30 iPod videos, Xbox 360's, PSP's, a Hummer H2, cars, jewelry, televisions and much more ... all for a fraction of the price.

Any idea when?
I’m hearing rumors of an April - November 2006 launch with the console going for around $200.00. So, you can expect to see it on UA for $2.00 sometime in the spring time.

Is this a lottery or raffle site?
No. It's a game where winning depends on the user and their own strategy. Nothing is hidden from the user, all bids and the bid history can be scene, allowing them to cancel out others to enhance their winning strategy.

What happens if a product isn't sold?
Reserved auctions come with a reserve price, which means the total number of bids must equal to the retail price of the item before the winner is declared. If the reserve is not met, all bids are refunded.

This interview was conducted by Ron Swerdfiger for the GameIT Network. Please do not redistribute the article in part or in full without proper reference to this site

That's rubbish. They are just trying to make a lot of money on a phantom auction. PS3 specs aint even been finalised yet and they expect to have one in 2 weeks? Loads of people will bid numerous times which means lots of money and guess what there will be NO unique bid or the win will go to an insider.

The Darkness (Images from gameplay on PS3)

10082_darkness-ps3-1.jpg

10082_darkness-ps3-2.jpg

CWright said:
I am liking the look of the new Limited Edition PS3 Controller
jeremybeadleplaystation.jpg

Oh shit, :D

pics and rendered vids say shitt o my i need gameplay video thats the way to judge the game.

Back
Top Bottom