Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread "PlayStation HUB - Online service"

Sony: PS3 'On Track'

David Reeves, head of Sony's European PlayStation operation, has this week insisted that production of PlayStation 3 is "on track". He also suggested that the machine's European and U.S launches could be closer to one another than many observers have hitherto predicted.
Speaking to European trade newspaper MCV, Reeves said, "There are so many rumors out there but no-one really knows the facts. I know what's going to happen and I am honestly very, very confident about it."

He spoke about the timing of PS3's European launch. "It is my job to match day and date with the U.S launch," he said. "I am doing my very best to make that happen." This is interesting in that most observers believe the European launch will come some time after the U.S launch. Sony has traditionally waited on Europe, and Microsoft's recent experience won't have persuaded the firm of the merits of simultaneous roll-out.

Reeves also talked about the fight with Xbox 360. "Most of the first million people who buy an Xbox 360 in PAL territories will also buy a PS3," he predicted.

Despite this positive outlook from Reeves, it's still highly unlikely that PS3 will launch any time soon. Our best guess is that an announcement will be made in the near future outlining the company's overall strategy in detail - games, Blu-ray, online, manufacturing - with a promise to deliver a launch some time this year. It may be that there are still too many unknowns for Sony to give a firm release date or detailed territory-by-territory plans.

Reports are suggesting that Sony's suppliers, such as Compeq in Taiwan, have scheduled component manufacturing plans for June, which would suggest a late 2006 launch. But a hardware launch, especially one this complicated, hinges on more than having a few components ready and waiting in a bucket.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2450&Itemid=2

quick update...

Some of you might of heard that there is some sort of Sony conference on Weds 15th March. Many more of you will know that GDC starts on the 20th March. Apparently there are gonna be some big announcements at these events.

Our regional Sony rep came in today and he was totally quiet about the PS3 for once, leading me to ask him loads more questions. He laughed off loads and told me straight that he knows much more now than he did before so cant say nuffin. Obviously I pestered him some more, but realised I wasnt gonna get any more info out of him.

He did say though that the world will know as much as him by the end of March! So like I said expect some big news coming out of the shows.

Oh and he mentioned a new Sony PSP thinner version coming out with a 4gb hard drive soon. anyone heard anything about this?

More from Reuters about the meeting on 15th March:

Sony to brief on PlayStation business Wednesday

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:18 AM IST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Tuesday it would hold a briefing on its PlayStation video game business on Wednesday, but declined to give details.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi will attend the briefing to be held in Tokyo at 3:00 p.m. (0600 GMT), the company said in a statement.

Sony said in late February it was still aiming to launch the next-generation PlayStation 3 (PS3) game console in spring, but added the launch could be delayed if industry specifications for some of the technology were not finalised soon.

A spokesman for Sony's game unit declined to comment on whether it will announce a delay to the launch of PS3.

PS3 will be competing with Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, which went on sale last November, and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Revolution, which is expected later this year.

Shares in Sony were up 1.08 percent by midday. The Nikkei share average was up 0.11 percent.

Breaking News: PS3 delayed until November!

Posted Mar 14th 2006 3:45PM by Christopher Grant
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3
Just before it reached the point of comic absurdity (alright, it might have already hit that point) Sony has acquiesced: the PlayStation 3 isn't shipping in the next three months, despite what their website says to the contrary. The Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper is reporting that the PlayStation 3 is being delayed until "early November" in Japan due to complications with the AACS copy protection system being implemented into the Blu-ray specification.

The unsourced story broke in Japan this morning, hours ahead of the 3pm (1am EST) Sony conference where we imagine this--and other--PS3 unknowns will be eliminated. With a November release in Japan, Sony would need to coordinate a simultaneous launch in the US in order to capitalize on the lucrative--and strategic--holiday shopping season. A simultaneous launch would be a first for Sony, who have historically launched in Japan first, with US and European launches following.

We're sure you're all as shocked as we were to hear the news. Seriously, we're just glad that soon, maybe by this time tomorrow, we won't have to bring you daily updates about the PS3 being delayed, not delayed, definitely delayed, still on track, not in manufacturing...

source: http://www.joystiq.com/category/sony-playstation-3/

well fuck that....

the_thing, wait tomorrow for official news from Sony conference

Fantastic news!

Its gonna be another crazy christmas again!

Yes it's the perfect news for Europeen !!!

OH no!!!
"due to complications with the AACS copy protection system being implemented into the Blu-ray specification."

no more patches... as we cant burn..

Well, if no Pro Evo Soccer comes out for PS3 we can play PES6 in high def... :)

Can we have the title changed please. The service is now called "PlayStation Network"

NickSCFC said:
Can we have the title changed please. The service is now called "PlayStation Network"

I change for another info :)

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread "Worldwide Launch November 2006"

Personally I can't see us getting units before xmas, Japan will get all the available units and more, but by saying November everyone will have it down on their xmas list so will probably wait that little bit longer and not go for the 360 at that time.

Us Europeans will be ripped off as usual. It will most likely cost abit more than the 360 premium.

NickSCFC said:
http://www.gamersreports.com/news/1746/

"As for price, Sony has said the unit will not cost less than 50,000.00 JP YEN. This equates to $425.607 USD"

I'm guessing this is around £300? Not bad for a PS3, controller and HDD package.

"WILL NOT COST LESS THAN $425" . So £300 is the minimum it could be which means we will pay a lot more than that.

two big points jayD there is no chance of a) us seeing it this year or b) the price being under £350-400

seeing the price roof is a big relief for me... dont get me wrong... im saving for the SCREEN, and a HD-ready one

Well the us dollar flucuates around 1.7035-1.720 so that works out around £250 approx, add on charges for us being in europe and you are probably looking at £300 maybe less.

slasher said:
Well the us dollar flucuates around 1.7035-1.720 so that works out around £250 approx, add on charges for us being in europe and you are probably looking at £300 maybe less.

Add on general European electronics mark up and we're looking at £400 pretty much minimum.

Wonderful.....

why would they add on an additional £150, thats just nonsense. the 360 in the US retails at around $500 and thats without a hard drive, but with 3 games http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020259D , this is around the same for what Sony said they would retail at. If microsoft didnt add on an additional £150 to their prices here then I dont see why Sony would. I would imagine that they would trade for around the same the 360 debuted at. By Nov/Xmas time the 360 will have gone down, I dont think that Sony wants to price themselves out of the market at such a crucial launch period.

slasher said:
why would they add on an additional £150, thats just nonsense. the 360 in the US retails at around $500 and thats without a hard drive, but with 3 games http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020259D , this is around the same for what Sony said they would retail at. If microsoft didnt add on an additional £150 to their prices here then I dont see why Sony would. I would imagine that they would trade for around the same the 360 debuted at. By Nov/Xmas time the 360 will have gone down, I dont think that Sony wants to price themselves out of the market at such a crucial launch period.

Here In the US, the 360 Premium (i.e. with the hard drive) is $400! Where on earth did you get $500 without a hard drive from????? Ebay?

maybe if you read my post you would see where i got that from.

My guess will be yes as SONY said the games will require the HDD to play. and also apparently the've said to the game developers to develop the games in conjunction with the HDD (so develop games as if the HDD is present in the console).

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775
Sony held its PlayStation Business conference in Tokyo today and 1UP's correspondents were on hand to report back all of the details.
Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, took center stage and delivered the big news: PlayStation 3 will not release until November 2006, as previously reported earlier today.

However, he also revealed that Sony plans to release the system in Japan, North America, and Europe simultaneously this November. That's right, the PS3 will be in stores before the end of the year - within the first 10 days of November, to be exact. According to the company, it will have a production capacity of 1 million units a month to attempt to keep up with the demand. 6 million units are estimated to be shipped by the end of March 2007.

Kutaragi stated that the purpose of today's meeting was not to show any new hardware or games, it was to offer an apology. He wanted to give the world an update since it was now Spring. He stated issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to the Blu-ray disc drive were the cause for the delay. But Kutaragi also mentioned that the delay would allow for the latest HDMI (high-definition connection, essentially) support.

He did offer some tantalizing new details about the system, though. PS3 will include a 60GB hard drive (which is upgradeable) with Linux preinstalled. According to Kutaragi, developers should create games for the PS3 with assumption the hard drive will be present in the system (his slide was titled "HDD is required!"). He also revealed that the system will be backwards compatible with the entire PS1 and PS2 libraries, and that games will be displayed in high-definition resolutions when played on the PS3 (similar to what the Xbox 360 does with compatible Xbox 1 titles).

Kutaragi described the shift to the PS3 as a move into the 4D world. The 8/16 bit era with 2D sprites was refered to as "Plane", the PS1/PS2 era with 3D graphics was described as "Space", and the PS3 era was with its, according to him, 4D worlds, was described as "Live" (Space + Time). Some of this concept is surely lost in translation.

(Images courtesy of Watch Impress)
Kutaragi also revealed details on the online service Sony is planning for the PS3 called the "PlayStation Network Platform". Beginning at the system's November launch, the service will feature such functions as matchmaking, messaging, rankings, friends lists, voice/video chat, in-game shopping, and game downloads to the hard drive. Best of all, the service will be free (as of right now, it isn't clear on whether there will also be a paid tier of service similar to Xbox Live Gold). The service will also allow for publishers to connect their own game servers. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), makers of such online games as EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies, is provided the infrastructure and GameSpy is providing tools and middleware. Kutaragi also mentioned that the PS3 can serve as a wireless access point for the PSP.

Final PS3 controllers and development kits are going to be sent to the development community by May. This will include the final specs for Cell, the final RSX graphics chip, the final Blu-ray specs, and will be at a cost close to that of a PS2 development kit.

Kutaragi also had a few big announcements that pertained to the PSP, the most immediate being a price drop to $199 for the basic pack at the end of March in the U.S. This spring will also see a browser upgrade that will include Macromedia Flash 6.0 support. Kutaragi gave details on some later technology enhancements to look forward to this fall as well: RSS support, video and voice-over-IP, and a USB GPS receiver that will interface with new games (a version of Hot Shots Golf was mentioned for this). A PSP EyeToy camera will release in September and will feature a version of EyeToy Play and video chat.

Interestingly, Kutaragi also discussed an "E-Distribution" strategy for the PSP which will include downloading classic PS1 games to a PSP's Memory Stick. Users will be able to boot games directly off of the Memory Stick and the games will play under emulation.

Back
Top Bottom