Sony PlayStation 3

Crazy, after everyone getting on MS's back to start using 65nm chips for MONTHS (years?), Sony go and do it first :lol:

I am not a fan of either system ahead of the other and the only reason i was on here was to post the good news about the chip-sets.

But anyone who compares games on the systems right now for quantity which also includes quality is a complete blind Fanboy of the PS3 or a complete idiot and the furthest thing from a true Gamer.

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend who works for the Financial Times.

Basically he was saying that PS3 owners should be worried about the lack of progress it has made since launching last year. Although it is early in it's life cycle he said that Sony Executives were growing increasingly concerned. The big problem is that the gaming division is the most heavily resourced part of Sony and it is not giving any sort of return compared to other divisions such as HDTV's, Portable Music and Mobile Phones. He said that if things continued in the same trend after the recent price cuts then 6-8 months down the line he could see the resourcing for the Gaming Division being cut.

He also said that he expects Microsoft to announce 3rd generation Xbox in Summer 2008, it will launch in Summer 2009. He said the 360 had achieved it's aim of being first to market, establishing Microsoft as a serious player and eroding Sony market share.

I think the final Statement about MS launching another one in 2009 is BS to be honest. I think more like 2010 upwards. Whats the point of Launching another Console only 4 years after the 360? The 360 will just be hitting its peak by that time (in terms of developers getting it by the scruff of the neck). If they do that then they are as bad as Sega with the Saturn and Dreamcast Fiasco!

That is exactly what I said to him, but he was adament that this would happen. He said the 360 had achieved what it set out to do and that Microsoft would launch the new console which will use high def discs etc. He also said the Microsoft very had a PC "mentality" and that hardware refreshes taking place every 4/5 years.

360 hasnt really achieved what it set out to do.... The WII kicks its arse in Japan as does the PS3. If this is what they call winning the so called war and shutting up shop they will NEVER lead the market. They should see the 360 out till the bitter end. Not just abandon it like SEGA did with the Saturn!

I expect MS to release a new console but I highly doubt it will be 2009.

Not just abandon it like SEGA did with the Saturn!

Where does he say they are gonna abandon it?! Dont go into drama queen mode. It will be 4/5 years since its release, 5 years being the normal cycle for consoles and they are likely seeing that the dvd is showing its limits, while at the same time they are recognising that they will need something new to get anywhere in japan, while at the same time put another generation between them and nintendo. Tbh i find it very logical, especially when you look at sony's position and how their "development" is going.

The Wii is seen by most people as the "fun" console for the latest generation. Which it is, however its really an old gen console with movement tacked on. After all its really just a gamecube. Now atm the graphics that it lacks are being compensated by its "new" gaming style and giving it the possiblity to still be considered part of the new generation of 360/ps3/wii. So releasing a new generation(x720) in a couple of years makes sense to put some distance between itself and the WII further highlighting the technical difference. So with this in mind it makes sense as nintendo will then be resigned to having a old gen fun console that does nothing else. It barely has any serious games as it is. It will no longer be part of the latest generation.

Now on to the ps3. Everybody knows the ps3 is stuck in limbo atm, it doesnt have enough games to sell itself, the multiformat games are just as good, if not better on the 360 and even more importantly, the ps2 is still the main console when it comes to sales of both hardware and software. This xmas and next year could possibly be the period where the ps3 takes off and that the transition period from ps2 to ps3 will diminish with the focus being put on ps3. They are already trying to tell the public this with the 40gb no BC console. So this coming period, especially xmas 08 will probably be the period the ps3 enters its best moment and could possibly start to show its extra power over the 360 with exclusive games.

What better time then to announce a new generation console?! That will likely give people who are looking at a nextgen console food for thought knowing that a nextnextgen console is on its way while also giving people doubts whether to buy the ps3. Sony's whole argument/selling point of being the bestest console is gone and a lot of us will know they will need to do something, ps4?, to stay with it. Meaning the ps3 could potentially become the original xbox. A console thats more powerfull but suffers from a lack of games using its power [read: 360 games now being ported to ps3] meaning they end up inbetween both sets of customers to aim for, the hardcore who want the best/latest console and the large scale consumers who can buy the cheaper 360 with its relatively "large" library of games to instead of the ps3 with its poor ports and little exclusive content. Its also seen, from what ive read, as the easier console to program for meaning its cheaper to continue making games for it and saving developers money while also giving them a reason to not make a relative expensive ps3 port. Giving the 360 even more possibility to have the ps2 effect of good games for a cheap price for a large market. The ps3, if it what kami heard is true, becomes a "nothing" console and means the potential for a ps4 is even harder to financially argue. Then giving the 720 an even better chance, and longer period of sole compitition, of becoming the nr one nextnextgen console.

Looking at it from that perspective I find it very possible.

Yes it is true and people easily forget it.

Since the price cut n 40GB in Europe its been outselling the 360.

Next Thursday > CoD4, Ratchet n Smackdown > £115

Uncharted demo next week and its gonna have 4 levels - their so kind!

New PS3 TV Ads (US)

Click

Very nice

:cool:

Last edited:
The better store got a big update including Timeshift n NFS demos, Burnout trailers, Twisted Metal 2 and EA trying to steal your money with The Godfather add ons.

Heads to PS3...

Yes it is true and people easily forget it.

Since the price cut n 40GB in Europe its been outselling the 360.

So is noone gonna discuss kami's comments any further? I thought they were really interesting.

As for the 40gb model outselling the 360, I wouldnt have expected anything less. It will be interesting to see what happens when ms release the arcade pack. What are the software sales like for the ps3? After all sony only loses money on the hardware so thats another interesting stat to be found.

I'm slightly surprised the PS3 has been outselling the 360, but then most people who want a 360 have already got one by now. The people wanting the PS3 now are people who waited for a price drop, hence the increase in sales. 360 sales are bound to slow down as time goes on.

I order Blu Ray movies from Movietyme and they take up to 14 days to arrive. If you ordered it now you should get it on release which is Nov 19 in America.

14 days?! Damn! VGP get to me in about 4-5 days. Sod waiting two weeks for a game, crazy!

If I buy any of the following in the USA, would I be able to play them on my European PS3 ?

PS3 Games ?
Blue Ray Films ?
DVD Films ?

If I buy any of the following in the USA, would I be able to play them on my European PS3 ?

PS3 Games ?
Blue Ray Films ?
DVD Films ?
ALL PS3 games will work.
Blu-Ray depends on the film studio, some are region free, some aren't
DVDs no, due to different regions.

I need your advice on selling my PS3 with regards to how much I should ask for?

Hardware:

PS3 60gb fully boxed
Extra un-official Logitech wireless controller

PS3 Games

Warhawk installed on HDD
Calling All Cars installed on HDD
Super Stardust installed on HDD
All-Pro Football 2k8 (Blu-Ray)
The Bigs (Blu-Ray)
Oblivion (Blu-Ray)

PS2 Games

Canis Canem Edit
Eye Toy Play (with camera)

--------------------------

How much do you think I should be asking for it all?

Back
Top Bottom