Sony PlayStation 3

i think that ad is more pretentious than anything else

its like Sony don't even give a shit about the console or games available (or not) and they think people are stupid enough to pay near to £450 for a console because of a blown over tree or some weirdos sat in a crappy motel with a grenade and a suitcase full of money... based ourely on the brand name SONY.

Hi guys, thinking about getting a PS3 over a 360. A few questions:

Is the PS3 region-free?
What's the biggest HD size, and which do you feel is the most cost-effective?
What's a good price these days?

Games are region free.

What do you mean by biggest HD size?

40GB with no backwards compatibilty, no memory card readers and 2 usb ports instead of 4 will cost you - £299

60GB (the better one) with 2 games and extras (depending on where you go) will cost you £349.

60GB for £299

Games are region free.

What do you mean by biggest HD size?

40GB with no backwards compatibilty, no memory card readers and 2 usb ports instead of 4 will cost you - £299

60GB (the better one) with 2 games and extras (depending on where you go) will cost you £349.

60GB for £299

HD size I meant how big is the biggest hard drive, but you answered that later. =)

Also since I'm in the states the prices will be a bit cheaper? I've heard about a price cut to $400 is there any truth in that?

So it seems nearly certain we will get a new model in UK/EU.

The 40GB is just to "core"... and I guess a 60/80GB+ model will come out with all the fancy card readers, USBs etc soon when 60GB models run dry.

HD size I meant how big is the biggest hard drive, but you answered that later. =)

Also since I'm in the states the prices will be a bit cheaper? I've heard about a price cut to $400 is there any truth in that?

November 2nd is rumored to be the date for the 40GB in the US.

I have a question, when I get my PS3 I am not going to store anything on the hard drive other than game saves and demos etc. How big would you say the average demo is in size? I know they vary so its a hard question to answer.

Target scan shows 40 GB PS3 coming Oct. 28 for $399
ps: thats 196.340 GBP
40gbps3.jpg

HMV Website said:
PlayStation 3 with 60GB HDD

This model of the PS3, featuring a 60GB Hard Drive has now sold out, and Sony have told us that they're not going to be making anymore of this version.

However, you can now buy a 40GB PlayStation 3 for just £299.99 - we'll even throw in 2 Blu-ray discs FREE!

So as the 60Gb is now dying out, what are Sony releasing in Europe an 80 with no BC or an 80 with BC? Will it be a 160Gb monster with all the stuff that dude posted a few pages back has? Has BC now be removed from ALL new PS3's? Does anyone knows the answers to my questions?

THIS IS NOT MY INFO. I FOUND IT AND WANTED TO SHOW YOU GUYS:

***LEAKED INFO ON NEW 160GB PLAYSTATION 3***

From inside Sony Computer Entertainment International's Japan offices I present to you leaked information on the new 160gb Playstation 3 model that will be appearing in the near future:

Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
Sony PlayStation 3
160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
PPU x1, SPE x8
RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
Digital
6x USB 2.0 ports
2x HDMI 1.3 ports
3x Gigabit ethernet ports
DUALSHOCK 3 controller

As you can see the major changes to the unit are the larger hard disc drive, the inclusion of dual HDMI ports, 6 USB ports, 3 ethernet ports and the new Dualshock 3 pad. On top of that the new unit has undergone the 65nm chip reduction process which reduces heat and energy consumption and reduces manufacturing costs.

At the moment the unit is only confirmed for release in Japan. A date has not been fully specified but is expected after November.

Source
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30444/t1013540-leaked-info-on-new-160gb-playstation-3/

I love you guys. :)

No mention of BC though..............

Last edited:
If they have removed BC they are pretty stupid! its one of the Biggest things MS have been criticized for....

Also I can remember when Sony Slagged off MS for having a Core system and a Premium System..... Look at what Sony is doing... 4 different versions in total!

Can someone explain the point in having 3 ethernet ports? I mean if you want to play lan you just connect with the wifi to the home network/other wifi point/ps3. You just have to make sure you can have enough bandwidth. Why would you have 3 connections on a ps3? Makes me sceptical about the info, the dual HDMI i can understand if connecting to two screens, but the ps3 is having problems keeping up with the 360 on 1 screen. And now they are backtracking and saying how BC isnt actually important and want to give better valua and more realistic prices/config for the market. How many people will have 2 hdtv's next to each other just for a games console?! And adding even usb more ports? How many ports do you need? Atleast at the same time? Seems very fake to me. BC will likely still be in the "upper" model. Otherwise they[sony] really are shooting themselves in the foot.

BC isn't that important anymore, at launch it was because there wasn't a big pool of games to choose from, that isn't the case anymore.

If one wants to play PS2 games then they should play them on their PS2.

Also I can remember when Sony Slagged off MS for having a Core system and a Premium System..... Look at what Sony is doing... 4 different versions in total!

But they all have hard drives, that's the main thing. Developers make games knowing for certain that the HDD can be used for whatever purpose they need.

BC isn't that important anymore, at launch it was because there wasn't a big pool of games to choose from, that isn't the case anymore.

If one wants to play PS2 games then they should play them on their PS2.

BC is an important factor to me, SingStar and Buzz etc are great games to play with friends, I dont want to have to lug out my PS2 everytime for that though, I just want to put the disc in an play right. Plus every now and again it is good to play an older title!

cheapest i have found so far is dvd.co.uk £17.99 + £3.99 post = £21.98 but I ordered and it's awaiting stock.

amazon has it for about £27.98, most shops like Game HMV and Virgin has it for £35 or £37

BC is an important factor to me, SingStar and Buzz etc are great games to play with friends, I dont want to have to lug out my PS2 everytime for that though, I just want to put the disc in an play right. Plus every now and again it is good to play an older title!

fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom