Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread (Inter crowned champions)

He used to look really like Nedved too, but I don't think he's ours anymore. I think we sold him a season or two ago. Giovinco is the future anyway :).

:lmao: Guidolin is the palermo coach once again.

at this point, nothing surprise me anymore :(
btw last 2 matches clearely showed that palermo's problems weren't (just) Guidolin's responsibility.

no need to say he'll leave after the end of the season.
for next year palermo's coach could be.... mazzarri, colantuomo, ranieri, novellino.
i like them all, so no matter who will come i will be pleased :mrgreen:

about boudianski, sure he's got some talent, but i don't think juve will call him back next year... probably they'll send him in another team like ascoli, to make some experience.
anyway, against THIS palermo, everybody could look like nedved :roll: :( :(

agree with u Don about giovinco. he's really special ;) :applause:

Last edited:

Maybe Zamparini should take over as coach himself :mrgreen:.

I just checked about Boudianski, and he is still co-owned by juventus. I don't see a future in Turin for him though. Probably used for makeweight in a tranfser deal or sent to another club for experience, like you wrote.

I hope Giovinco will NOT be loaned out, these loan deals usually end badly for the player where juve is concerned. Giovinco is too talented a player to waste.

touchè, mate. i'm sure he would love to be palermo's coach (like many italian football club presidents ;) ).......

nontheless, i'm sure he would fire himself in less that a week :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

just one information that can give u an idea of what palermo did this season.
till the half of the season (19 matches) we were 3rd (even if u don't consider fiorentina, milan and lazio's handicaps :shock: ), with 38 points (just 4points behind roma).
but if we just consider the 2nd half of the season (the remaining 17 matches) then we would be 18th, with just 14 points. so if u just consider the 2nd half of the season (like in the argentinian championship) we would be in the "relegation zone"......... :shock: :(

Last edited:

I just checked about Boudianski, and he is still co-owned by juventus. I don't see a future in Turin for him though. Probably used for makeweight in a tranfser deal or sent to another club for experience, like you wrote.

I hope Giovinco will NOT be loaned out, these loan deals usually end badly for the player where juve is concerned. Giovinco is too talented a player to waste.
They've got 15 players out on loan this season! :eek:

touchè, mate. i'm sure he would love to be palermo's coach (like many italian football club presidents ;) ).......

Aluding to Berlusconi are you :D?

nontheless, i'm sure he would fire himself in less that a week :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

just one information that can give u an idea of what palermo did this season.
till the half of the season (19 matches) we were 3rd (even if u don't consider fiorentina, milan and lazio's handicaps :shock: ), with 38 points (just 4points behind roma).
but if we just consider the 2nd half of the season (the remaining 17 matches) then we would be 18th, with just 14 points. so if u just consider the 2nd half of the season (like in the argentinian championship) we would be in the "relegation zone"......... :shock: :(

That is dire.. Well your squad still has a lot of potential, especially if you can hang on to the likes of Amauri and Simplicio etc. I expect Palermo to compete for 4th place next season against Lazio, Fiorentina and Juventus.

They've got 15 players out on loan this season! :eek:

Yeah, and many more co-owned players spread around Serie A and B. With less than a handful, who'll probably make it back to Turin to stay. Juventus' youth team is very very good every year, hence a lot of their youngsters are in the Serie A squads, but somehow they rarely make it back. The new management and Deschamps seem more interested in using the youth players as their respective predecessors, Which is good news. Though of course, had we not been relegated, youth players like Marchisio, Palladino and let alone Giovinco would probably never have seen a minute of juventus playing time this season.

I hope i'm not boring you with this info :mrgreen:.

Loved the slide pass to Trez for the 3rd goal against Bologna. He looks like a very promising player!

I think he is the next best thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFK_cmTTY4 - Be amazed by more Giovinco brilliance (he doesn't miss a single pass!). Juventus youth team vs Pescara youth.

Aluding to Berlusconi are you :D?

;)
yep. he..... and spinelli..... and cellino....and pozzo... here in italy, we all pretend to be football experts :lmao:
thanks god here in italy u have to get a license to coach a professional team:mrgreen:

That is dire.. Well your squad still has a lot of potential, especially if you can hang on to the likes of Amauri and Simplicio etc. I expect Palermo to compete for 4th place next season against Lazio, Fiorentina and Juventus.

well, we're a good team. we have some talented players like simplicio, amauri, di michele, guana, corini (the genius)and our brand new star cavani.
but i have to admit that fiorentina is on another level (and this is really hard for me to say, as there's a huuuuuge rivalry between us and fiorentina). They're almost a top team. they've got some world class players and many potential world class players. they have a great coach and a munificent owner.... in 3 years fiorentina will fight for the scudetto with milan juve and inter imo.

about lazio, i think that champions league incomes will help them to build a very strong team.... and with rossi as a coach, they can only improve themselves.

i think that in the next years we will fight with sampdoria and udinese for a uefa qualification placement :roll:

just consider that next year we'll also sell barzagli :(

....but afterall is not so bad, if u think that we spent 32 years in serie b..... and c :D

Last edited:

I hope Palermo regain their strength. They showed everyone how solid they've been in the last 3 years. Strong fan support too. I hope Palermo manage to find the right system to adapt to, I think theres too much happening with the management and morale that needs to be sorted before next season starts. The team needs stability.

GRAZIE BILLY!!!! 27 seasons as a footballer and 23 trophies won. Costacurta scored in his last ever San Siro game today! Was always a clean and fair player and was amongst Italy's best defenders at one point!

7153_big.jpg

Last edited:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

sooner or later it had to happen..... thank God at least Paolino decided to continue for 1 more year :)

Last edited:

To the regular's in this thread, how is Mudingayi doing at in Serie A???
ILHO he is seriously underestimated here in Belgium.
He was unknown when he got his first cap fot the national team and became somewhat of a laughing stock...but i think he must be good if he plays regularly in a team which finished high in the Serie A...i don't think there are many Brlgian players who could do the same...

There seems to be a young Belgian (defensive???) midfielder at Inter too???? Anybody know who it is???

Thanks...

To the regular's in this thread, how is Mudingayi doing at in Serie A???
ILHO he is seriously underestimated here in Belgium.
He was unknown when he got his first cap fot the national team and became somewhat of a laughing stock...but i think he must be good if he plays regularly in a team which finished high in the Serie A...i don't think there are many Brlgian players who could do the same...

Thanks...

Mudingayi is a very good player, a consistant defensive midfielder, he became an important factor (he and mutarelli too) in lazio gameplay. maybe he hasn't "sweet foot" but still he knows how to get the job done, talking about his duties on the pitch (helping the defence, keeping the distance between midfield and defence always short, receovering dangerous balls from opponents foot).

There seems to be a young Belgian (defensive???) midfielder at Inter too???? Anybody know who it is???

i guess u're talking about MAAROUFI IBRAHIM. He's a inter youth theam player (but i guess he already played in the first squad sometimes).
i never saw him playing, but i heard nice comments about him :)

Yes, like lo zio says, Mudingayi is quite a solid player. Physical as well. He can also play in many positions which is useful.

Thanks my friends...

Cant wait for the new season already! Fiorentina will be a strong force, and Napoli, Genoa and Juve are back. The new season will be very competitive with no more point deductions and possibly some big signings to come.

Ughhh 3 months to go still.

Serie A back on terrestrial TV! Tuesday 12 June, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fans in Britain will be able to see Serie A action on terrestrial television next season after Channel Five picked up the TV rights.

Reports in Italy made the claim this morning and the news seems to have been confirmed this afternoon.

Production will be carried out by Sunset+Vine, a subsidiary of Tinopolis, who already provide Five with their cricket package.

Ron Jones, the executive chairman of Tinopolis, said: "The main deal is for a highlights programme – although Five do have the rights for live matches as well.”

Serie A football was first shown on UK television in 1992 when Channel 4 made their move following Paul Gascoigne’s switch to Lazio.

The coverage moved to British Eurosport in 2002, before Bravo and Setanta agreed a joint deal in 2005.

Bravo dropped their coverage at the end of 2006, though, due to a lack of decent audience figures.

Gooooooooooal Lazio

actually its Golaccio but lazio sounds better

Last edited:

I'm happy for Adonis, JB and other UK-based Serie A fans. :)

Good news!

Was always a clean and fair player and was amongst Italy's best defenders at one point!

7153_big.jpg

Well, he wasn't clean on the international stage. In the 1994 World Cup semi against Bulgaria, Costacurta had a clear handball in the area which the ref did not give. The match finished 2-1 to Italy. I'm gonna be bitter about not getting that penalty till the day I die. And it'll forever colour my perception of Costacurta, who is by all accounts a pretty decent defender.

who is by all accounts a pretty decent defender.

honestly mate, saying he was pretty decent, it's like saying Stoichkov was a pretty decent offensive player :roll:
both of them unagreeable statements, imo.
i saw billy playing for more than 15 years, almost every week, and i can say that in the last 15 years i saw 15, maybe 16 central backs better then him, wich means that he can be considered as one of the best cbs of the last 20 years.
he went trough 2 (almost 3) generations of defenders... and till a cuple of weeks ago, he was still playing for the most winning team in europe.
of course he wasn't a baresi, he wasn't a beckhembauer....but he was as close to them as nesta, wich is enough to say that he was a world class player.

about that italia - bulgaria, i remember that match mate. And honestly there's nothing to be bitter for. italy really outplayed bulgaria that day.. at the end of the first half the score could easily have been 4 - 0 for italy. that was one of the best italy's game i ever saw.
and talking about costacurta, it's unfair to judge a central back (who made the history of the italian football in the past 20 years) just by a handball, u really can't say that he "wasn't clean" just coz once he made a handball, don't u think? ;) .... i'm pretty sure each central back in this world made at least 2 or 3 handball in his carreer :)

Last edited:

No, I can't agree.

Billy is a legend for staying with such a successful AC milan side all these years and playing at such a high level even at 40 years old!

He's a club legend and been a great servant to Milan and Italian football.

But never was this guy truly one of the very best defenders in the world in my opinion. So I can't agree with the Stoichkov comment at all because Hristo had the word 'S-p-e-c-i-a-l' written all over his talent and ability and while Costacurta is a legend in his own ways, his talent or ability was never THAT great or jaw-dropping or pure awesome like it is with some world-class defenders.

Neither was Billy ever as good as Nesta in his peak in my opinion or someone truly world-class like Nesta. I feel that even, during his peak years, he was always one level below true world-class defenders like Nesta or his own friend and another legend in shape of Paolo Maldini among others who were better than him.

For me, he should get all the respect in the world and I have that respect for him myself for being such a great servant to the club. Not whining about lack of playing time when he wasn't a regular and just being a good professional and helping the club when he can. Being influential and helping the club's youngsters (many of whom are old players now) develop and be applauded for so much of the great things he's done.

But I'm personally not gonna make TOO BIG of a deal out of him now and say he was better than he really was simply because he's a club legend and retiring. Because I feel, even in his peak, while he was a pretty good defender, he was not truly one of the very best.

No, I can't agree.

well mate, it can be nice to disagree sometimes.. i mean, what's the point in having conversations if we always share the same opinions ;)

talking about billy, first i got to say 1 thing. By comparing him to nesta, honestly i went too far, that's true. there was also a big contradiction in my statements, as i also said billy is among my 20 favourites italian cb of the last 20 years..... while if he would have been on the same level of nesta.... he would have been among my favourites "5" cbs :mrgreen: ).

nontheless, i really can't consider him just a decent player. a "decent" cb wouldn't have played regular for milan for 8 years. Costacurta was one the "Sacchi's Immortals". he was part (an important part) of the most famous defensive line in history (maldini, costacurta, tassotti, baresi). it's hard to remember what a great player he was, coz we're talking about a lot of time ago...... and the fact he continued to play since last year doesn't help.... coz when we try to think to billy, our mind goes to the player we saw in the past few years (wich is a natural reaction). but the player we saw in the last 8 years is very, very, very distant from the "real" costacurta (from 26 to 31 years old)..just like the maldini we see today is not even the shadow of the maldini we were use to see till 8 years ago.

he was also a member of capello's defensive line. And Capello is not the kind of guy who adapt himself.. if capello wouldn't have consider billy as a defender worthy to play with maldini, tassotti and baresi, u can be sure he would have written him off.

moreover he played 60 matches (if i do remember well) with the italian national team...... u don't play as a cb for italy if you're not special. let me do a simple, silly, but effective comparison: if u play regular for brazil as advanced midfielder, then u're probably among the greatests in the world in your position, coz brazil has a great "school" in that role. the same way, if u play as cb for italy......:)

last year i heard a zaccheroni interview. he said costacurta was the most underestimated player he ever trained.
well i really agreed with him.
i think he was underestimated coz he always played with some of the greatest defenders in history. Nobody could deny maldini, baresi and tassotti had something more than billy...... but afterall, they had something (better saying "a lot") more than anybody else :mrgreen: . it must be hard to rise from the ranks, when u play with the greatests ;)

and there's also one other reason imo why is was so underestimated. his phisique. he looked everything but a central back :mrgreen: . he isn't tall, he isnt' strong, he isn't fast.... he doesn't even look like a football player :lmao: .

but he had an unbelieavable timing and position. i never saw billy running..... but actually he never needed to run (at least when he played as cb), coz he was always in the right spot at the right time (and that's the most important thing for a cb).

bringing to an end this looong (and maybe boring) post, i'd say that is hard, when we're not talking about pure legends (like maldini, nesta, baresi, tassotti or cannavaro) to "classify" a player, and probably personal likes become an important factor in ours judgements. we could say that, if we consider the whole continental scenario, billy was a "border-line" player. he was one step behind the greatests..... but sure he was "something special" (as i said before, u can't play at that level, with his phisique, if u're not something special).
And if we consider just the italian scenario, then he can be truly considered a top class defender

so clearely he wasn't just a "decent cb"..... at least according to my personal likes ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom