Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

I don't completely understand this signing... so does this mean Sissoko will play on the bench? Or will it be Sissoko-Diego-Melo?

financially yes, we are in a decline phase. some clubs (roma, fiorentina, lazio) can't afford the same expenses they used to (but then again, they couldn't affors those crazy expenses in the so called golden era too... it's just that those days they didn't care about their debts growing). other clubs, who could afford to keep up with the big ones (like milan) just don't want to anymore (and i can't honestly blame berlusconi for this).
You're right, we don't need Italian clubs going bankrupt again. Better we're financially sound and live to compete another day. I just wish I didn't know so many La Liga and Premiership fans. I don't need to hear another 'serie A sucks because they're not competitive in Europe" diatribe :TTTH:

as for onyewu, i can't really talk about him as i didn't saw him playing enough. from what i've seen he didn't really impress me..... until this summer. he was pretty good during the confederations cup. who knows, he might turn out to be a good signing.
So was Tim Howard, Landon Donavan, De Meritt, the whole US national team and coach, and we all know how successful they are at club level. And I'm hearing Inter were close to signing Onyweu :BLINK: But what really made me hit the roof was finding out we signed Kerlon from Chievo :SHOCK: I had some time to deliberate on this... we did sing him on a free, but we do have to pay his wages, but maybe we can recoup those by selling him later on. Either way it seems a waste of our time and efforts

they could have got d'agostino for about 5 millions less..... i really can't understand.... anyhow corvino did it again... he bought him 12 months ago for 8 millions, and after one season he's selling the same player for 3 times the price he payed.....
Shrewd business man. But who will he replace De Melo with I wonder, such players don't just grow on trees. About D'Agostino, I agree, it makes no sense, he's a cheaper and more talented player, plus they already have a box-to-box midfielder in sissoko.

By the way Lo Zio how would you rate U21s in Euro championship? I was a bit disappointed considering they were by far the most experience group of players in the entire tournament... Cigarni didn't shine as I would've expected. I remember Pirlo in the U21s, guy was phenomenal every single game. It was good seeing Andreolli (former Inter) getting a run out, Bochetti impressed me, he's strong and comfortable on the ball. Giovinco was stand out for me. Since the beginning of the season I predicted he wouldn't last in Juve. I was htinking because he's so small, his markers would foul him every chance they got which would disrupt the flow of the game. I also believe he'd get injured too easily, (as most creative players tend to get through the course of their careers because they are targeted) because of his small stature. But I'm slowly being won over by his energetic displays, the little fella's a fighter. But he comes across as too brittle. Can Juventus/Italy build a team around such a player??

I don't completely understand this signing... so does this mean Sissoko will play on the bench? Or will it be Sissoko-Diego-Melo
:THINK: thats not neccesarily a bad line up. Like Conte and Davids.

Gooch Onyewu from Standard to Milan.
While i agree with lo zio that football is not about stars and while i like Gooch much (he's such a nice guy) and i am happy for him that he can go to Milan instead of Fehnerbahce or Birmingham (because he made the most of the Confederations Cup), i think Onyewu will not be good enough for AC Milan.
A couple of seasons ago he went to Newcastle and he returned to Standard afterwards. I think he simply isn't good enough. Even in the Jupiler League he had bad periods, he keeps getting unnecessary red or yellow cards and makes big mistakes regularly. But i hope i'm wrong, i really like the guy...

But one thing is certain, the Onyewu we saw in the Confederatios Cup is not the Onyewu we've seen playing for Standard...let's hope that he can continue playing on that high level...

I know it's a free transfer stef.
That's a pity for Standard, but that (and his outstanding performance in the Confederations Cup) also made Gooch very attractive for other clubs.

If there are much quick, litle and agile forwards in Italy, then Onyewu will suffer. If he has to play against big, strong forwards he will be good...

Yeah but the thing is Milan are not aiming high anymore. We were linked with the likes of Mexes and Agger but now we get Onyewu who is no where near. Being big doesn't make you a good defender. 15 mill for Cissokho was a good deal for a 21 year old highly rated LB which we need since we only have Favalli and Jankulovski, but apparently nothing is wrong with his teeth.

Our definition for a world class striker who will solve our problem upfront since Sheva left back in 2006 is Fabiano. Looking at his goal record, he is below average.

Cheap and Free is not gonna make it while Inter and Juve are spending to improve. Coming out of a regular season and hoping to improve after selling our best player who has been almost single handedly covering our problems is just mad. Situation is not looking good for me.

lots of people today claim la liga became the best league in europe because of real madrid's signings.....
now i'm not arguing the "best league in europe" point. la liga is indeeed a great league.
what freaks me out is that people believe that 3 players (ronaldo, kakà and benzema), bought by 1 single club can raise the level of a league wich can count 20 clubs and +400 players. :LOL:
seriously, it makes u understand how insane is this thing fans have for football stars.
P

But getting those players will turn a lot of attention to the league putting some highlight on a lot of the teams and players(Spain has some great youth) Real and Barca are going to face. 80,000 fans for 1 player is just amazing.

financially yes, we are in a decline phase. some clubs (roma, fiorentina, lazio) can't afford the same expenses they used to (but then again, they couldn't affors those crazy expenses in the so called golden era too... it's just that those days they didn't care about their debts growing). other clubs, who could afford to keep up with the big ones (like milan) just don't want to anymore (and i can't honestly blame berlusconi for this).

but mate football is not all about financial power... hence is not all about stars.
in the last 5 years milan had plenty of stars (pirlo, kakà, pato, nesta, gattuso, etc...) and yet fiorentina (wich is nowhere near as rich and powerful as milan.... and wich has not such a "fancy roster") has been constantly better than them.
and when i say constantly, i mean it. fiorentina made more points than milan in 4 of the last 5 years at the end of the season.
fiorentina has done better than milan not for a single match, not for an entire season.... for 4 season!

money will always be an important factor, but in the end of the day, the players and not the bankers are the ones who decide the matches.
2 years ago real madrid came in roma to play against lazio..... during the pre-match press conference raul remarked the gap between a "good team" like lazio and a giant like real madrid.... he even admitted he didn't know many lazio players (wich makes me wonder, how did he know lazio was a "good team" then? :P ).
lazio OWNED real madrid for the whole match.... it was just embarassing..... and so was their loss against juventus this season.....at the santiago bernabeu.

lots of people today claim la liga became the best league in europe because of real madrid's signings.....
now i'm not arguing the "best league in europe" point. la liga is indeeed a great league.
what freaks me out is that people believe that 3 players (ronaldo, kakà and benzema), bought by 1 single club can raise the level of a league wich can count 20 clubs and +400 players. :LOL:
seriously, it makes u understand how insane is this thing fans have for football stars.

as for onyewu, i can't really talk about him as i didn't saw him playing enough. from what i've seen he didn't really impress me..... until this summer. he was pretty good during the confederations cup. who knows, he might turn out to be a good signing.

as for sissoko, he's a monster. he's not really technically gifted, that's for sure, but then again, he's not supposed to be. he's damn good at what he does.
he's no vieira of course, but that's an unfair comparison. u don't compare a regista to pirlo, or a goalkeeper to buffon... it's just not fair. vieira was in a league of his own, but that doesn't mean sissoko isn't a damn useful player. his presence, his work ratio, and his stamina often allowed him to hold the whole juventus midfield just by himself.
sure marchisio has a better timing, a better passing game, a better tactical education.... and in a few years he will probably become a better overall player.... but no matter how great marchisio will become, when it comes to pure phisycal presence, he won't ever be able to give the same contribution sissoko gives to the team. :))

Gomito mate, long time no talk! congrats for the great confederations cup campaign usa had. u lot were very very unlucky against italy :))

edit: breaking news: juve reached an agreament with fioretina for melo. 20 millions plus marchionni (wich was evauated 5 millions). 25 millions total, wich is the amount of melo's escape clause.
they could have got d'agostino for about 5 millions less..... i really can't understand....
anyhow corvino did it again... he bought him 12 months ago for 8 millions, and after one season he's selling the same player for 3 times the price he payed.....:WORSHIP:
if i were john elkann i would have payed those 25 millions to get corvino rather then melo :P
yeah not sure if that was a red card vs clark, but the american born rossi scoring two goalazos against us was like seeing your ex girlfriend making out with some other dude

Gooch Onyewu from Standard to Milan.
While i agree with lo zio that football is not about stars and while i like Gooch much (he's such a nice guy) and i am happy for him that he can go to Milan instead of Fehnerbahce or Birmingham (because he made the most of the Confederations Cup), i think Onyewu will not be good enough for AC Milan.
A couple of seasons ago he went to Newcastle and he returned to Standard afterwards. I think he simply isn't good enough. Even in the Jupiler League he had bad periods, he keeps getting unnecessary red or yellow cards and makes big mistakes regularly. But i hope i'm wrong, i really like the guy...

But one thing is certain, the Onyewu we saw in the Confederatios Cup is not the Onyewu we've seen playing for Standard...let's hope that he can continue playing on that high level...

well newcastle is shit and didnt give him a chance, so i dont know if you can use that as an example. As far as the cards, i think a majority of his cards are crap, is because he is so big and the ref wouldn't give a smaller player the same card. Hopefully Gerd he plays better against better talent... and with better players around him.. having howard behind you(one of the best in the world) bocanergra to the left(solid left and center back) has to help as well.

Yeah but the thing is Milan are not aiming high anymore. We were linked with the likes of Mexes and Agger but now we get Onyewu who is no where near. Being big doesn't make you a good defender. 15 mill for Cissokho was a good deal for a 21 year old highly rated LB which we need since we only have Favalli and Jankulovski, but apparently nothing is wrong with his teeth.

Our definition for a world class striker who will solve our problem upfront since Sheva left back in 2006 is Fabiano. Looking at his goal record, he is below average.

Cheap and Free is not gonna make it while Inter and Juve are spending to improve. Coming out of a regular season and hoping to improve after selling our best player who has been almost single handedly covering our problems is just mad. Situation is not looking good for me.

I disagree with you I'm afraid. Spending doesn't mean you get quality. Quality can also come from for cheap or free. Pancaro was free, so was Cafu.... we won Serie A and got to a CL final.

Cissokho is not worht £15m considering he was signed for £275k in January, and has dodgy medical records (Lyon officially denied their interest as well). Its a suspicious situation and its obvious his agent would say he has no problems in order to fish more interest and to look better.

Over the years we've had high salaries and dead weight.. this year we've cleaned up a lot and are starting fresh. Abate had the most successful crosses in 08/09 (From the Lega Calcio stats) and is 22. Di Gennaro has been quite well rated over the last 3 years and is a utility player. We signed Zigoni (top scorer in under 20s league), Berretta (highly rated defender born 1991) and we have Abate back now. I think we're taking a new direction - a la Arsenal.

I don't particularly like Luis Fabiano but he never was a goal poacher. Leonardo said the reason why he wants him is because of his in-the-box movement, which is useful for a player of his size and technique - much like a John Carew figure. Very useful player. Is it worth splashing over £30m for Mexes when we had better defense than Roma in the last 2-3 years? Or invest in a Danish defender who might completely flop and is injury prone for £15+ million?

We need a new full back but it doesnt have to be so expensive or big name to be successful. Kaka, Pato and Gourcuff were relatively famous domestically... now they're worldwide names. I think we will sign someone like Santos from Corinthians.

I think the Onyewu transfer was very smart. Free contract, EU nationality, physical and has pretty solid composure. He will act as our 'rock' against less technical sides, and obviously wont be a starter with Silva and Nesta starting. He also has a very basic salary.

My point is that we need to scrap our 'hollywood' signings methods and focus on quality and in improving our balances or else we'd be much worse off next year. We've already saved something like £40m from salaries this summer.

I have a lot of faith in Leonardo so I believe our team will play a lot nicer football and effective football too.

We also have to accept that Milan isnt the giant rich club from 3 years ago, we have financial difficulties. Juve and Inter can spend what they want. Melo - completely overrated and overpriced. But imo Juve and Milan are on par in terms of quality. Inter have spent millions and millions in the last 20 years and now its paying off... we can't just keep winning stuff... we have to let them win once in a while too ;)

Edit - Also, Kaka leaving means we are able to finally change our play. Leonardo also said that we used to always rely on Kaka beating the man then creating play, or Pirlo sending it long... I remember how it frustrated the hell out of me - other teams just doubled up on Kaka. Now we can start playing wide and our focus will be on short passing. Pirlo will be repositioned. I see this as exciting and finally something new after 3 years of mediocre and predictable slow football.

Last edited:

rfu said:
Shrewd business man. But who will he replace De Melo with I wonder, such players don't just grow on trees.....
don't worry about that. that son of a b*** (i mean corvino) is always 3 steps ahead of anyone else.... i'm sure he already planned his next move (appearently he's already going for dzemaili).

concerning the euro under 21, i didn't get to see all the matches, but from what i saw, i can say we did pretty well.

sure the end result might be a bit disappointing, as to be honest, we have the best under 21 team out there (spain is the only nation whose under 21 team could match us, in terms of technique and quality, but some of their key players already joined the major national team, so...), but there are many factors other than "being the best" wich can effect the result of a tournament... and anyone who saw the semifinal against germany (wich was one of the most one sided match i've seen this season) knows what i mean.

i can't talk about cigarini's performance, but u have to consider the kid has been out for most of the season coz of that bad injury (wich messed up his whole athletic preparation).
but make no mistake: cigarini IS something special. he's gonna shine at napoli this season. and 2 years from now, he will be playing for a top club.
i usually don't do this kind of predictions..... mainly because usually time proves me wrong ( :P ).... but seriously i can't see this guy not stepping up.
usually with kids so unbelievably talented, the only things wich can mess up their carreers are lack of playtime and carachter issues.
well, cigarini clearely showed (with his transfer choices) he's smart enough to realise that, at this stage of his carreer, getting some starter playtime is much more important than wearing a top club shirt.
and as for the charachter factor, well i've never seen a 21 years old kid handling the pressure of playing as a regista (wich, talking about pressure, is the hardest role of them all) with such a strong personality. his confidence and composure are just unreal.
so, even though i know i'm crap at theese kind of predictions... yes, i believe this kid is gonna be a great player. we were talking about d'agostino theese days.... d'agostino has been among the 5 best deep-lying playmakers in europe this season.... well i reckon in 2 years luca will already be much, much better than him.

as for the rest of the team, well it's pretty much on the same standard of cigarini. i can't say i was impressed by the likes of giovinco, bocchetti, balotelli, acquafresca, abate, motta, criscito, pisano, marchisio, dessena, de ceglie.... we saw them playing this season so we already knew they were this good (well we didn't see much of giovinco this season, but we already know him quite well).
the ones who impressed me were andreolli and candreva.
we never saw andreolli playing this season, and i have to admit i forgot what a great prospect he is... he should really leave roma and find a club wich could guarrantee him the playtime he deserves.
as for candreva, he's praised as one of the best italian youngsters, but i didn't follow serie b this season, so i didn't get a chance to actually see how good he is. good news livorno reached serie a... now i'll have the chance to take a closer look at him.

the result against germany was the most unfair, undeserved result i witnessed this year... but that's football. sometimes u happen to loose even after outclassing your opponent... all in all that's a good thing, because this slap will keep this "wonderkids team" down to earth.... and that's extremely important for their growth process.
in the end, we already won more euro under 21 trophies than anyone else in europe... we're by far europe's best in this stage, so it's no big deal :P

Gomito said:
yeah not sure if that was a red card vs clark, but the american born rossi scoring two goalazos against us was like seeing your ex girlfriend making out with some other dude

that was not a red card. and it's not just about that. the ref should have sent off chiellini (wich he didn't) and should have given USA another penalty.
to be fair the ref destroyed the match.

as for rossi, yeah i understand what u mean.
u see in the international law, there are 2 main rules, concerning nationality; the jus soli rule and the jus sanguinis rule (every country still use the original latin formula, because, well, as almost every law principle in history, we invented them :COOL: )

most of the countries all around the world (USA included) apply the jus soli (litterally "the territory rule"). according to this "jus", if u were born in US, for instance, u get the american nationality, no matter where your parents are from.

italy instead applies the jus sanguinis (litterally "the blood rule"). according to this jus, what decides wheter u're getting the italian nationality or not is not your birthplace, but your parents nationality.

so, in rossi's case, according to the american law he's an american citizen (coz he was born in US).... and according to the italian law, he's an italian citizen (coz his parents are italians).... kinda weird, i know.... but that's not the weirdest thing that can happen.

because of the same "jurisdiction crossover" balotelli has been a stateless person right until his 18th birthday.
he was born in italy from ghanese parents. so he couldn't get the ghanese nationality (coz in ghana they apply the jus soli rule if i remember well)... but he couldn't even get the italian nationality (until his 18th year) coz despite being born and grown in italy, his parents weren't italians...
LOL!

however interesting conversation about milan's future.
while i agree with stefano (to build a great team u don't necessarily need to spend a fortune.... but then again, if u manage to build a great team, then u will still need that fortune in order to hold that team, when other top clubs will come knocking on your door for your most profitable assets), but the thing is, to build a great team without spending a fortune, u need a great team director.... not necessarily a God like Corvino, Monchi or Marino, but still a top class one, like leonardi (i mean the former udinese team director, who signed a few weeks ago for parma, not leonardo, the milan coach), baldini or marotta.
galliani and braida used to be great team directors.... but do they still got it???
to be honest i really don't think so :THINK:

Last edited:

From an article that I agree with:

Galliani is playing a clever card game here and as the end of the transfer window looms, those clubs who have ridiculed his offers and have not sold their players, will in all probability bring their prices down.

After Kaka was sold everyone knew Milan had money to spend and now with his clever strategy Galliani is looked on as a tightwad with nothing in his pockets. This has to be an advantage when looking to buy a player. The clever bit comes in knowing when to show your cards and open your wallet.

I think it is far too early to label Galliani as incompetent, an official who seemingly doesn’t know what he is doing. You only have to look to the past to rule that out. Enough greats at the club have been bought at reasonable prices under his stewardship. Judge his work at the end of August, not the start of July.

Gomito, Standard were a pretty strong team last year...IMHO Gooch was the weak link in their defense. Especially RB Marcos Cammozatto is a very good player.

From an article that I agree with: "Galliani is playing a clever card game here and as the end of the transfer window looms, those clubs who have ridiculed his offers and have not sold their players, will in all probability bring their prices down.

After Kaka was sold everyone knew Milan had money to spend and now with his clever strategy Galliani is looked on as a tightwad with nothing in his pockets. This has to be an advantage when looking to buy a player. The clever bit comes in knowing when to show your cards and open your wallet.

I think it is far too early to label Galliani as incompetent, an official who seemingly doesn’t know what he is doing. You only have to look to the past to rule that out. Enough greats at the club have been bought at reasonable prices under his stewardship. Judge his work at the end of August, not the start of July"

I read that article too, and thb I don't understand who they figured that out. Why should these teams be desperate to sell? Are they in any kind of financial trouble? In the end who is more desperate? For example Dzeko... Wolfsburg are not desperate to sell their player, but Milan are desperate for a stiker. Wolfsburg know this and if Milan fail to sign anyone by late August, Wolfsburg can inflate the price. The only team that may be desperate to sell is Real Madrid, they need to balance the books and selling Klaas-Jan Huntelaar for whatever price they can get seems sensible, but with Man U reportedly interested (and don't forget they just sold Ronaldo for mega bucks) things could get complicated. My point is, Milan needs to rebuild, other clubs know this, so why would they lower their prices? It should be the other way around.

About Fiorentina... I have to say I'm very impressed with Corvino's moves. Now I'm hearing he wants to bring in D'Ago which is funny because Juve wanted to him in the first place. Also players like Brighi and dzemaili are becoming available, if he manages to pick them up then Fiorentina will have a formidable midfield. I'm surprised up 'til now, no one has raided clubs like Torino and Reggina for players... the likes of Baretto, Rosina, Calderoni, Pisano, Carmona and Brienza would fit in well with any mid-level team and would come cheap.

In regards, Cigarini, I see a problem with him moving to Napoli. Napoli have a mdifield trident of Blasi and Gargano, with Hamsik playing further ahead. Gargano is partial to a more central midfield role with Blasi playing as a defensive midfielder. Now Blasi will undoubtedly be dropped, but a combination of Cigarini and Gargano is too lightweight. Add Hamsik to the equation and teams like Inter and Juve will steamroll through them like a freight train. Either Napoli change formation or Gargano is dropped I'll be interested to see what other players Napoli bring in over the next month.

One more thing lo zio, i've been watching a lot of old games, both Serie A and Italy NT games (seasons over so what else is there to do). I've just finished the Argentina - Italy from 1989 and I made an interesting observation. With Italy playing a back 4 consisting of Bergomi, Baresi, Ferrara and Maldini (I didn't recognize him and first, I spent ages trying to figure where he was), I noticed Bergomi would move from right back all the way to left back, on a routine basis. I think he was man-marking Maradona but it was difficult to tell because of the quality of the video. And Baresi was all over the place, playing furthest back, midfield, wing... it's incredible how such players are so positionally adept... they're so comfortable anywhere on the pitch (perhaps even in goal). It was a friendly, but they didn't play like it. It was a joy watching Maradona run past a slew of players and Burruchaga threading pass after pass through a congested midfield. And Ruggeri... i thought only Italy was famous for their defenders, guy was a rock, harrying players like Vialli (when he had hair, a ton of it:APPLAUD:). One has to wonder how succseful such players would be in todays game. The only proof we have is players like Maldini who grew up and played in that era and were able to compete today

Last edited:

Seccio's inexperience and incompetence has cost Juve AGAIN!:ROLL:

Hahaha! Say what you want about his past dealings, but if Secco can bring Melo+fullbacks we would have had an excellent mercato.

Diego, Canna, and soon Melo if that bastard Marchionni can settle on a contract with Fiorentina, and we would have had the best mercato so far, much better than Milan. So far, Secco>Galliani.

I don't completely understand this signing... so does this mean Sissoko will play on the bench? Or will it be Sissoko-Diego-Melo?

What's there to not understand?

------------Diego---------------

--Melo----Sissoko----Marchisio--

Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out how Juve's midfield will line up next season.

Gomito, Standard were a pretty strong team last year...IMHO Gooch was the weak link in their defense. Especially RB Marcos Cammozatto is a very good player.
Gerd everything i have read, and seen said that gooch was one of the best players in the entire league at center back, not only on his team, but in the league.. so im really confused, and how does the best team in the league have a weak link who plays so much..

But what about players like Giovinco and Camoranesi? Then you've also got Zanetti and Tiago to handle.

What about them? Giovinco will be sharing playing time with Del Piero in the secondary striker role, Camo is injury prone, and we don't need any wingers now that we have Diego, Zanetti is injury prone, although he will provide excellent cover. As for Tiago, I will completely dis-regard the fact you even mentioned the Ballerina.

The biggest problem with the midfield is that Juve still lack a player who can start attacks, and distribute the ball effectively.

Well probably Melo. Giovinco may benefit from this formation change a lot, Can see him being given the "Messi Role" from the right or left.

Gerd everything i have read, and seen said that gooch was one of the best players in the entire league at center back, not only on his team, but in the league.. so im really confused, and how does the best team in the league have a weak link who plays so much..

My mistake gomito, he was defensively the WEAKEST link in the defense (to be perfectly honest, until Dante went ot Monchengladbach) but he scored some very important goals.

He is a great guy and i hope he does well, but i've never before see him play like he played in the Confederations Cup...

Galliani is playing a clever card game here and as the end of the transfer window looms, those clubs who have ridiculed his offers and have not sold their players, will in all probability bring their prices down.

I think it is far too early to label Galliani as incompetent, an official who seemingly doesn’t know what he is doing. You only have to look to the past to rule that out. Enough greats at the club have been bought at reasonable prices under his stewardship. Judge his work at the end of August, not the start of July.

Doubt anything special will happen. We will probably get Fabiano. It is true that over the past we have signed in late August, but who were our signings? Senderos, Shevchenko,..

The thing is it is hard not to consider Milan not a financial power taking into consideration the sales over the past 5 years, the trophies especially international ones, and the international name the club has which is the best in Italy and among the best in the world, while seeing Inter improving and signings although salary wise they are not much better than us.

They continue to improve because they have a president that is willing to give a lot to the club, a thing that I don't see Milan doing anymore.

Last edited:

Doubt anything special will happen. We will probably get Fabiano. It is true that over the past we have signed in late August, but who were our signings? Senderos, Shevchenko,..

The thing is it is hard not to consider Milan not a financial power taking into consideration the sales over the past 5 years, the trophies especially international ones, and the international name the club has which is the best in Italy and among the best in the world, while seeing Inter improving and signings although salary wise they are not much better than us.

They continue to improve because they have a president that is willing to give a lot to the club, a thing that I don't see Milan doing anymore.

Galliani admitted luring Brazil international Fabiano to the San Siro will be no easy task, with the 28-year-old's buy-out clause set at 30million euros.

"Several million euros separate us from him,'' Galliani continued. "The difference is still there and there's little to say with the exception that we need to reach an agreement on the transfer figure.''

Fabiano, top goalscorer at the recent Confederations Cup in South Africa, is under contract at Sevilla for two further seasons.

Galliani confirmed that once Milan sign a striker, their summer transfer dealings will be completed. American defender Oguchi Onyewu has so far been the only new arrival at the club since the transfer window re-opened.

I thought Borriello would have been your striker this season? I actually think you have a very good team. I think a lot offensively will depend on Ronaldinho which is a bit of a worry but I do think you have a team which can win Serie A or the Champions League.

Rocky, there's no need to get on the defensive ;) . no one here is having a go at juventus. When Abhishek or Rfu or Milanista or i criticize juve's market strategies, we don't do it with a biased anti-juve intent. quite the opposite actually.
we would like to see juventus on top of europe again (and as soon as possible), hence we express our worries about those moves we don't agree with.
we have no "anti-juve" sentiments, i can guarrantee. :)

melo is a very good player (and he might well become a great player in a few years), but in my opinion (and also in abhishek's opinion and milanista's opinion) he's not the kind of player juve needs most right now. and spending such a high amount of money on a player who isn't even on top of your priorities doens't seem to me the smartest play.
but it's just a friendly football conversation, nothing else. no one here wants to have a go at juve just for the pleasure of bashing on juve fans.
i mean i often (very often) criticize palermo's management too.... but sure i'm not a palermo hater :P i express my worries about my team's strategies precisely because i care.
and milanista does the same with milan's strategies.

one of the best things about this thread is that there's no room in here for flamewars or silly anti-"put club name here" arguments... it's just a bunch of guys sharing their own opinions on serie a's main topics.
so to make it short, don't get on the defensive, coz no one here wants to "attack" juve ;) :BEER:

Younggun said:
I thought Borriello would have been your striker this season? I actually think you have a very good team. I think a lot offensively will depend on Ronaldinho which is a bit of a worry but I do think you have a team which can win Serie A or the Champions League.

yeah infact the situation is not that bad. i mean there are some issues, concerning milan's strategies, but when u look at the team u realise they're not really in shambles.
with ambrosini, pirlo, gattuso and flamini they have a great midfield and the same can be said about their attack (pato, borriello, abate).
they also have some very interesting youngsters.... pato is arguably "the next best thing" in world's football...abate is one of the most interesting youngsters in italy... then there's antonini, who is another very good player... and about thiago silva, well i can't say anything about him, but according to what they say, he must be pretty good.

the big question marks are nesta and ronaldinho. if they will be able to perform, milan might even be considered as a title contender.... (but to be honest i don't think they will). ronaldihno needs to find new motivations and nesta needs to recover from his injuries...
both things aren't really likely to happen, but hey, in 2002 inzaghi was labelled as a finished players... no one (me included) believed he would have been able to recover after those years of bad injuries.... and yet he proved us all wrong. :))

and however, even without nesta and ronaldinho, if leonardo will find the right tactical formula, this still remains a very good team (but not as good as inter and the other european top clubs).

rfu said:
In regards, Cigarini, I see a problem with him moving to Napoli. Napoli have a mdifield trident of Blasi and Gargano, with Hamsik playing further ahead. Gargano is partial to a more central midfield role with Blasi playing as a defensive midfielder. Now Blasi will undoubtedly be dropped, but a combination of Cigarini and Gargano is too lightweight. Add Hamsik to the equation and teams like Inter and Juve will steamroll through them like a freight train. Either Napoli change formation or Gargano is dropped I'll be interested to see what other players Napoli bring in over the next month.

well imo napoli has 2 options right now.
donadoni has to decide where to put the "center of mass" of the team: across the midfield line or in napoli's own midfield.
this means that he'll have to decide wheter to drop or not that 3 men defensive flat line napoli displayed last season.

if he will drop that defensive setup, then he will arguably move to a 4-3-1-2 formation.

------------------santacroce-----------cannavaro
maggio---------------------------------------------------vitale

------------blasi-----------cigarini-------------gargano

-----------------------------hamsik

------------------lavezzi-------------quagliarella

with this system he would guarrantee some protection to the defensive line (thanks to gargano and blasi) and free cigarini from any defensive duties.
there's an issue however. this 4 men defensive line would be "fake" as the 2 men on the flanks are wingbacks rather than fullbacks. maggio and vitale can't give a great contribution to the defensive phase, as they're both offensive players.....but then again blasi and gargano could help them with double markings.
afterall every good 4-3-1-2 need some offensive sidebacks to work properly.

otherwise donadoni might decide not to drop the 3 men flat line defence... but in this case he will sacrifice one between gargano and blasi.

--------------santacroce------cannavaro------campagnaro
maggio------------------------------------------------------------vitale

----------------------gargano----------cigarini

------------------------------hamsik

--------------------lavezzi------------quagliarella

in this case the goalkeeper will get the same protection he had this season and the wingbacks will be free to cause havoc upfront...... but the team will lose something in terms of midfield filtering. i don't think this would be a major issue for the defensive line as those 3 guys can handle a lot of stress.... but the team wouldn't be able to put a lot of pressure across the midfield line.
i lined up gargano along with cigarini.... but it might well be that donadoni will pick blasi instead..... gargano has more quality than blasi and is even more dynamic.... but his positioning isn't good at all... as a pure defensive midfielder blasi would be the best choice imo.... it will all depend by what kind of midfield donadoni wants.

both options have their good aspects and weaknesses.... we just have to wait and see what donadoni will decide. of course if napoli will make new moves on the market, some new different options might pop up..... but i can't see De laurentis buying any more players... i mean he already made lots of great moves: de sanctis, zuniga, campagnaro, cigarini, quagliarella.... :SHOCK: all fantastic signings... i'd say napoli till now has made the best market moves in europe.

however rfu don't underestimate cigarini's tackling skills... sure a gargano (or blasi) - cigarini midfield would be a bit lightweight (anyhow, as i said, that setup would allow donadoni to line up 3 cbs and those 3 guys are good enough to handle every kind of pressure).... but cigarini is a tackling machine!
i infact i've never seen a pure regista with such a great tackling technique and such a great timing
YouTube - Luca Cigarini - tackles, passes...
i'm not trying to prove my point with this video, as everybody could look great with a well done compilation..... but those tackles aren't something "unusual" for luca... they represent pretty much his standard tackling ability. :))

as usual, sorry gor the loong post :P

edit:
Martin my friend, it's been a while!! great to see ya in here. :)it's a shame we didn't have a chance to talk lately, but just 2 days ago i logged in messenger for the first time in months and unfortunately u weren't on line :(

2nd edit:
real madrid seems to be negotiating with udinese for d'agostino. both real madrid and udinese confirm the rumour to be true.

Last edited:

Your first Napoli formation is very Milan 2003. Pure 4-4-2 diamond with a creative defensive midfielder and a central playmaker.

I think we will alternate with Borriello and who ever comes in. I agree though, I don't think we're that bad off as people think, thats why I'm quite positive about our summer. I think we have a lot of talent - Pato, Abate, Di Gennaro (He was dubbed a wonderkid in our youth team ... some really good videos of him on youtube too). I also think Ronaldinho will improve a lot this year since he will start playing regularly and will have more support. My only concern for now is a fullback. If we play Zambrotta left and Flamini right, i'd be fine, but I think Jank will start, and I'm a little skeptical. I still think we need a Cissokho or Andre Santos.

Also, its been proven that a good mentality and confidence can get your team far, even with a squad that isn't too Galacticos.

Last edited:

My only concern for now is a fullback. If we play Zambrotta left and Flamini right, i'd be fine, but I think Jank will start, and I'm a little skeptical. I still think we need a Cissokho or Andre Santos.

imho it would be criminal to keep antonini out of the starting 11. seriously. :))

Back
Top Bottom