Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2008/2009 Season

mate fiore was a pure trequartista those days. a constant offensive threat.
Once again, I'm going to have to disagre with you (bet you didn't see that coming:COOL:). First, let me confirm something, what the hell is trequartista? I always thought a trequartista is a postion employed by the playmaker of the team, who operates in the "hole" behind the stikers, and between the defence and midfield of the opposition. His role is essentially to create goal scoring opportunities with deft passing, nifty moves, and smart positional play in the final 1/3. Thus, he shouldn't be bogged with defensive work, instead dedicating his time and efforts on 'creating' and pulling the strings from his position in the hole. Using this description I would consider players like Deco, Riquelme, Zidane, Totti, Aimar, Hleb, Rui Costa, Joe Cole and Kaka pure trequartistas. Then you get players like Roberto Baggio, Maradona, Cassano Cantona and Bergkamp who played along side the main striker but had no defined role, instead their only responsibility was to use their genius to create scoring chances. Then you have players like Veron, Sneijder, Xavi, Inesta, Seedorf, Pizarro, Gerrard, Ballack, Lampard, and De Rossi who on occasion operate in the hole and are comfortable playing in the postion, but are not born trequartista. They commit a good percentage of their time and effort into defending, marking, tracking, pressing, ball retention and other defensive duties. For me Fiore falls in the latter category. Is my description incorrect?

in the end, mate, there are some facts we just can't get away from. that team began every match with at least 3 attackers, and almost always ended with 4 attackers on the pitch.
Consider if Milan paired Inzaghi and Kaka as their front pairing and then employed Seedorf as the trequartista? To me that is a defensive line up. Another thing is Totti at the time wasn't as much of threat in the penalty area as he currently is with Roma. The fact that Italy entered the pitch with this mindset/lineup implies their defenisve intent. What game other than the final (when they needed a goal -- and for that I applaud Zoff for taking the initative) did they play with 4 attackers (I don't like that word 'attackers' -- it wasn't anything close to a 4-2-4)? Whenever an attacking player come on, it was like for like i.e. Del Piero for Totti, Delvecchio for Inzaghi.

i disagree on that. it's not about pace. it's about stamina, movement without the ball and spirit of sacrifice.
I agree. But think how slow pokes like De Rossi and Palombo will be over run in midfield by quicker, more pacier players. They would be forced to sit back close to the defence or risk leaving gaps if they ventured too far forward to support the forward players. Italy would need a quick physical and quick player Yaya Toure or Essien or Mascherano to cover the gaps and contest well in 1v1 situations.

and finally u need 2 offensive players on the flanks, with a high work ratio, with the guts and the skill to go on 1 on 1 situations. offensive players who could "attack the depth" like quagliarella iaquinta or balotelli..... or players who could provide a link between mdfield and attack, like foggia or giovinco or pepe. so i'd say we're damn well covered in that area too.
Agree completely, but i would prefer players how can provide a link between midfield and attack. Iaquinta and Quagiarella play too far forward. Pepe isn't good enough, Foggia is too hot and cold. That leaves Balotelli, an 18 yr old, and Giovinco who is currently struggling for minutes with Juve. IMO ITaly is wasting its time with this formation. They don't have the right players at the moment and WC 2010 is right round the corner. I think counter-attacking 4-4-2 diamond midfield (like how Roma played for a while this season) would suffice. Pirlo as metodista, De Rossi on the left, Gattuso on the right (Palombo would be nice but he's too similar to Pirlo) and Brighi playing further ahead. Then Cassano as the creative fulcrum. A very defensive Italy but better to work with what you have:)).

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Well pre season starts soon for most teams and some teams are already shaping up for the new season. Some incredibly strong signings by Napoli, Genoa and Atalanta. I'm expecting a strong season by these three. I also feel Parma and Catania will do very well this year, as will Fiorentina (as usual). I feel that Lazio and Cagliari will disappoint with Palermo climbing up the standings.

Anyway here's the new ball:

picture2zxz.jpg

Nice, Don't all the top leagues' use the same ball with a different colour code?

I think so. EPL is blue while La Liga is yellow.

What's happening with Rosina?
he's trying to understand why people tell him " pass this fucking ball" ....he still believes that football is an individual game and that the other 10 players with the shirt of the same colour of his one are some guys who are trying to imitate him

he's trying to understand why people tell him " pass this fucking ball" ....he still believes that football is an individual game and that the other 10 players with the shirt of the same colour of his one are some guys who are trying to imitate him

A bit harsh there. I think he's Italy's most talented attacker after Cassano. Haven't watched last season at all, but he was rather brilliant before that.

Hopefully, someone like Roma try to get him, Italy could do well with a player like him.

A bit harsh there. I think he's Italy's most talented attacker after Cassano. Haven't watched last season at all, but he was rather brilliant before that.
Hopefully, someone like Roma try to get him, Italy could do well with a player like him.
I'd love to see Rosina back to Parma if I could choose.. In my opinion he's not shown enough to join a "top team" (well, he's not consistent enough in my opinion even if he's skilled) bu in a team like Parma he can surely do well..
The only thing he misses, apart from consistency, indeed is a bit of altruism.
He always tended to "play by himself" a little too much, but in this last season at Torino he's been often unlucky (he wasn't even in his best form, if this can be used as excuse)..
This explains why fans are not really happy about his way of playing anymore..

You know how fans are made: if you succeed, everything's forgiven.. If you fail, they're all against you (I see how Weah would have been criticized for being selfish if he hadn't scored that wonder goal against Verona for example)..

Well Ben, it seems like Dossena will stay and have another season to prove himself.

He probably will, Dossena lacks that belief after his first season.

today is a sad day for italian football: Vincenzo Montella has decided that he won't play anymore. He's been one of the greatest strikers of the last 15 years of Serie A with his fantatic left foot...

-almost 150 goals scored even if he didn't play very much since Roma's last scudetto
-4 goals scored in a single derby against lazio (record)
-28 matches played and 22 goals scored in his first serie A year (best debut in our league's history)
-he scored for 4 matches in a row 2 goals (italian record)

we'll miss you aeroplanino :(

here's a good video of his career,sorry if it's in italian...

YouTube - I Signori del Calcio - Vincenzo Montella

Yup Montella and his clinical ability in the box and in front of goal will be missed. Then again, haven't seen much of him in the past few years anyway so at least it's not a sudden shock and we've gotten used to not seeing this talented player which makes this departure a little easier to handle.

abhi said:

2nd most talented italian player? that's a bit of a stretch. fantastic player though. his main problem is he's a torino player. torino kinda reminds me of what inter used to be years ago. a consistent underachiever. 10 years ago inter (i'd say for the entire past decade) had an amazing team (in theory). an unbelievable roster loaded with world class players in every role... and i'm not talking about a "galacticos-like" team. moratti bought world class players in every role and i'm not talking about divas with huge ego.. i'm talking about great selfless professionals.

great players, great coaches (on this concern, rfu, i'll pretend i didn't read what u wrote about peruzzi a couple of days ago :BLINK: :D ).... and yet, year after year, it was an endless disappointment.

this torino is not a poor team. roster-wise it could be on par with palermo (and much better than, say, atalanta, catania, chievo annd bologna).
nontheless football-wise in the last 3 years torino has been one of the poorests teams in italy (i'd say in europe too). and it's not like they didn't have great coaches (novellino and zaccheroni).
it's something that goes beyond my understanding, tbh. howeverr it's extremely hard to perform well in this torino.... and sometimes, watching the team playing i got the feeling rosina was the only one who did really care... who did really try to do something.
and that's probably the reason why this season he often tried to do everything by himself. he's not a selfish player... but when u realise that every time u pass the ball, trying to build a play, it turns into a possession loss.... well it must be quite frustrating.

abhi said:
Well Ben, it seems like Dossena will stay and have another season to prove himself.
there's hope, but to be honest, i'm not really optimist :((

PLF said:
Yup Montella and his clinical ability in the box and in front of goal will be missed. Then again, haven't seen much of him in the past few years anyway so at least it's not a sudden shock and we've gotten used to not seeing this talented player which makes this departure a little easier to handle.
yep :)
i got to admit i almost forgot he was still a football player.

changing topic, it looks like juve gave up on d'agostino.... and now they're after... melo?!?! :BLINK:
seriously secco and cobolli are probably the most clueless football managers in europe.... even don florentino and calderon look like genius compared to them.

rfu, your description of the trequartista is correct... and fiore (i mean the 1999/2000 fiore) perfectly fits into that description. ;))

Just a question, is Juve going to search for a new right back or will they stay with Grygera/Zebina?
I've heard that Udine is making things impossible for D'agostino, but moving to a newly contracted Melo how did he play this season? I can't see Violas games here (there are no Portuguese fellas there so our TV just says gtfo to any other team in Italy except for Inter, and sometimes Juve and Milan come up) but does he actually deserve the negotiations that are being made for him? money+player/s and stuff.
Just to end this question post, is Juve going to play 442 next season or 4312?

I don't understand all these rumors. Melo costs MORE than D'Agostino and is not as technically useful as D'Agostino.....

I don't understand all these rumors. Melo costs MORE than D'Agostino and is not as technically useful as D'Agostino.....

Actually not Stef, Pozzo wanted 20 mill for D'Ago and Melo is on for 17 mill + Marchionni....
But yeah, I agree Secco is clueless:RANT:

Juve need a regista, and D'Agostino fits it perfectly. Melo is certainly not that, and I don't think he'll ever be.

Juve need a regista, and D'Agostino fits it perfectly. Melo is certainly not that, and I don't think he'll ever be.

Not too impressed by neither D'Ago or Melo....I think it is time to splash out the cash and get possibly sign Xabi...Sweet dreams:YAWN:

Doesn't Sissoko have the same qualities as Melo?

Melo is a bit more technical and has good pass in him, but that's about it. I don't think Melo is a target however and seeing that Elkan declared today that several big signings will be made, I am very curious.....

Just a question, is Juve going to search for a new right back or will they stay with Grygera/Zebina?
I've heard that Udine is making things impossible for D'agostino, but moving to a newly contracted Melo how did he play this season? I can't see Violas games here (there are no Portuguese fellas there so our TV just says gtfo to any other team in Italy except for Inter, and sometimes Juve and Milan come up) but does he actually deserve the negotiations that are being made for him? money+player/s and stuff.

too bad u don't get a proper coverage. no wonder u didn't rate serie a. by missing the likes of udinese, genoa, fiorentina, napoli, lazio, sampdoria, palermo and atalanta... u're basically missing the best this league has to offer today. :)

however melo is some sort of a midfielder "in becoming". i believe he's going to be a hell of a player in a couple of seasons. but today he doesn't deserve such a high price tag. but then again, players market is badly effected by the hype, and at the moment felipe is one of the most hyped young midfielders in europe, so....

as fremm said melo is more gifted than sissoko in terms of technique and passing game. and this should make him a metodista, rather than a pure defensive midfielder, like sissoko.
a metodista is a defensive midfielder with a good sense of geometry and an above average passing game.
a metodista is something in between playmakers and defensive midfielders.
it's more than a simple defensive midfielder, coz he can give some "structure" to the plays.
but it's not even a proper deep lying playmaker, because he can also take care of a defensive midfielder's duties... and also because he doesn't have that creativity deep lying playmakers have (metodistas have "sense of geometry", while playmakers have "vision").
a good metodista is a great asset for any team.

however, at this point of his carreer, melo isn't a proper metodista yet. one of the main features of a good metodista is positioning.... and melo still has a lot to improve in that department (even though sometimes his physical attributes make up for his lack of positioning).
that's why i say he's a metodista "in becoming". if i had to describe him now, i'd use an english expression: box to box midfielder.
box to box midfielders are usually highly praised in england for their versatility.
here in italy it's different. italian football as a high specialization ratio: it's not that we don't like all around midfielders... if u're good at everything it's cool. but u must be more than good at something. u must have a main feature.

right now melo is a very good and versatile player, and he also has the potential to become a great player. if he'll improve his sense of position (and i reckon he will), then he'll become a hell of a metodista. but at the moment he's rather a box to box midfielder.....neither flesh nor fowl. :)

however the main point is juve doesn't need a metodista, neither a box to box midfielder. what they need now is a deep lying playmaker (a "regista", as abhi pointed out ;) ).

many people blamed ranieri last season for getting poulsen instead of xabi alonso..... now ranieri is gone, and yet it looks like they're about to make the same mistake once again..... i guess it wasn't ranieri's fault then... but secco's fault.

as for your rightback question and the formation question, i honestly don't know :)

Last edited:

I fear the words "I have a cunning plan" are rapidly marching towards this conversation with ill-deserved confidence.
FreMM, what Blackadder episode is this?
gooooooooooooooch to milan, shocker. Oguchi Onyewu(usa, standard liege) to ac.
This is what I meant when I stated Serie A is some kind of decline... while Madrid are buying the likes of CR9, Benzema and Kaka... Milan are buying Onyewu to fix their aging defence. Is Onyewu even good enough for a mid-level Serie A team?
right now melo is a very good and versatile player, and he also has the potential to become a great player. if he'll improve his sense of position (and i reckon he will), then he'll become a hell of a metodista. but at the moment he's rather a box to box midfielder
Well stated, he's also quite the physical player, often hurling his weight about in midfield. This is one reason why he emerged a linchpin player for Fiorentina, because of his imposing style of play. One other weakness aside from his positioning is his tackling and timing, Melo is quite the poor tackler and isn't very good at stifling attacks by intercepting forward passes or closing down the gaps in midfield. He's a complete midfielder, competent both in attack and defence, with strong/hard running, decent dribbling and shielding, above average shooting and passing skills.

They just sold Marchionni so my guess is 4-3-1-2 but I'm hearing Ferrara wants to play in a similar style to Barcelona, in a 4-3-3 formation but that would require too many player to readapt their style of play.

One thing I'd like to ask you Lo Zio is how do you rate Momo Sissoko in the Serie A?
If I can take a quick stab, Sissoko is tough tackling, hard running defensive midfielder, a dynamic player who runs box-to-box, equally comfortable at any end of the pitch. But his ball skills and passing are poor, and his tackling shoddy. I don't understand why he's such a fan favorite at Juve, sure he's hardworking but he gets dispossessed to easily, holding onto the ball too long, his passing is too slow/fast and wayward and his tackles are mistimed. He's improved vastly since he arrived, but Juve need more quality in their midfield... to think that Sissoko was once compared with Patrick Vieira earlier in his career...:TD:

I rate Sissoko highly now, I agree his passing and his first touch at times can be abysmal, but he is still such a hardworking player! With more practice during these summer holidays I'm sure issues like passing and first touch can be worked upon but his mentality towards the game is one of his strong points which I really admire. But he is a rock in the midfield and chases players down everywhere on the pitch. One of my favorite midfielders at Juve to be honest after Marchisio.

FreMM, what Blackadder episode is this?
This is what I meant when I stated Serie A is some kind of decline... while Madrid are buying the likes of CR9, Benzema and Kaka... Milan are buying Onyewu to fix their aging defence. Is Onyewu even good enough for a mid-level Serie A team?
Well stated, he's also quite the physical player, often hurling his weight about in midfield. This is one reason why he emerged a linchpin player for Fiorentina, because of his imposing style of play. One other weakness aside from his positioning is his tackling and timing, Melo is quite the poor tackler and isn't very good at stifling attacks by intercepting forward passes or closing down the gaps in midfield. He's a complete midfielder, competent both in attack and defence, with strong/hard running, decent dribbling and shielding, above average shooting and passing skills.

They just sold Marchionni so my guess is 4-3-1-2 but I'm hearing Ferrara wants to play in a similar style to Barcelona, in a 4-3-3 formation but that would require too many player to readapt their style of play.

If I can take a quick stab, Sissoko is tough tackling, hard running defensive midfielder, a dynamic player who runs box-to-box, equally comfortable at any end of the pitch. But his ball skills and passing are poor, and his tackling shoddy. I don't understand why he's such a fan favorite at Juve, sure he's hardworking but he gets dispossessed to easily, holding onto the ball too long, his passing is too slow/fast and wayward and his tackles are mistimed. He's improved vastly since he arrived, but Juve need more quality in their midfield... to think that Sissoko was once compared with Patrick Vieira earlier in his career...:TD:
time will tell with gooch but he could be similiar to vidic, you have to remember footballers from america develop later on in life.. i dont think he has hit his peak yet

financially yes, we are in a decline phase. some clubs (roma, fiorentina, lazio) can't afford the same expenses they used to (but then again, they couldn't affors those crazy expenses in the so called golden era too... it's just that those days they didn't care about their debts growing). other clubs, who could afford to keep up with the big ones (like milan) just don't want to anymore (and i can't honestly blame berlusconi for this).

but mate football is not all about financial power... hence is not all about stars.
in the last 5 years milan had plenty of stars (pirlo, kakà, pato, nesta, gattuso, etc...) and yet fiorentina (wich is nowhere near as rich and powerful as milan.... and wich has not such a "fancy roster") has been constantly better than them.
and when i say constantly, i mean it. fiorentina made more points than milan in 4 of the last 5 years at the end of the season.
fiorentina has done better than milan not for a single match, not for an entire season.... for 4 season!

money will always be an important factor, but in the end of the day, the players and not the bankers are the ones who decide the matches.
2 years ago real madrid came in roma to play against lazio..... during the pre-match press conference raul remarked the gap between a "good team" like lazio and a giant like real madrid.... he even admitted he didn't know many lazio players (wich makes me wonder, how did he know lazio was a "good team" then? :P ).
lazio OWNED real madrid for the whole match.... it was just embarassing..... and so was their loss against juventus this season.....at the santiago bernabeu.

lots of people today claim la liga became the best league in europe because of real madrid's signings.....
now i'm not arguing the "best league in europe" point. la liga is indeeed a great league.
what freaks me out is that people believe that 3 players (ronaldo, kakà and benzema), bought by 1 single club can raise the level of a league wich can count 20 clubs and +400 players. :LOL:
seriously, it makes u understand how insane is this thing fans have for football stars.

as for onyewu, i can't really talk about him as i didn't saw him playing enough. from what i've seen he didn't really impress me..... until this summer. he was pretty good during the confederations cup. who knows, he might turn out to be a good signing.

as for sissoko, he's a monster. he's not really technically gifted, that's for sure, but then again, he's not supposed to be. he's damn good at what he does.
he's no vieira of course, but that's an unfair comparison. u don't compare a regista to pirlo, or a goalkeeper to buffon... it's just not fair. vieira was in a league of his own, but that doesn't mean sissoko isn't a damn useful player. his presence, his work ratio, and his stamina often allowed him to hold the whole juventus midfield just by himself.
sure marchisio has a better timing, a better passing game, a better tactical education.... and in a few years he will probably become a better overall player.... but no matter how great marchisio will become, when it comes to pure phisycal presence, he won't ever be able to give the same contribution sissoko gives to the team. :))

Gomito mate, long time no talk! congrats for the great confederations cup campaign usa had. u lot were very very unlucky against italy :))

edit: breaking news: juve reached an agreament with fioretina for melo. 20 millions plus marchionni (wich was evauated 5 millions). 25 millions total, wich is the amount of melo's escape clause.
they could have got d'agostino for about 5 millions less..... i really can't understand....
anyhow corvino did it again... he bought him 12 months ago for 8 millions, and after one season he's selling the same player for 3 times the price he payed.....:WORSHIP:
if i were john elkann i would have payed those 25 millions to get corvino rather then melo :P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom