Red Dead Redemption [PC/PS3/360]

Thank you all for the info. I'm really hyped for this game. I'm going to play it on friday with my friend (since childhood we start together the BIG games of the season) in a 10 hour session with our projector, 5:1 and a box of cigars. Best way to start my personal goty.

Great to see the world feels really alive, I will be one of those travelling across the full map for the first weeks. Now I only hope missions are varied, fun and engaging.

Well if you ignore all side missions, fast travel to locations, 20-30 hours max I'd have thought, IMO you've then raped the game cos of all the wondrous things you miss out on but of course not all of us are lucky enough to be able to game 10 hours per day + weekends ;)

You are right, it is pointless buying it if I fast travel and ignore all of the side missions, I guess that i'll just play it few hours a week and view as a long term game which will take me 6 months or so to complete.

You are right, it is pointless buying it if I fast travel and ignore all of the side missions, I guess that i'll just play it few hours a week and view as a long term game which will take me 6 months or so to complete.

Well what you could do is focus completely on each area at a time, the place you start off in you can spend about 15-20 hours doing the main/side missions of that, then there reaches a natural point where you're encouraged to go to one of the previously closed off places and consider that the second chapter of the game, another 15-20 hours before heading off to the third location, of course you can spend more or less time in each location as you desire :)

Of course more important than completing RDR is Blackburn data feedback for Fifa11 as I received confirmation that I'll be editing Blackburn for this cycle ;)

Well what you could do is focus completely on each area at a time, the place you start off in you can spend about 15-20 hours doing the main/side missions of that, then there reaches a natural point where you're encouraged to go to one of the previously closed off places and consider that the second chapter of the game, another 15-20 hours before heading off to the third location, of course you can spend more or less time in each location as you desire :)

So there are new maps, not jsut the main one???

What about Arma 2 ;)? I personally thought that looked stunning on night-ops missions and in the early morning.

RDR is by far the best sandbox for visuals though.

Oblivion on console has aged very badly graphically, RDR is the best looking open world game IMO next being FC2.

Thanks for that. I actually liked the natural environment graphics in Oblivion. Sometimes I just sat there watching the sky. Or looking at the distance. So if this far surpasses that then I can't wait to play it. Called my local shop and its not in yet and said hopefully tomorrow.

Is it as good as oblivion? Because I thought it looked really good.

Oblivion was lovely at the time, but this has moved on so much. Wait till you get out on the desert plains, watch a sunrise or go hunting at night. Beautiful visuals, so authentic.

What about Arma 2 ;)? I personally thought that looked stunning on night-ops missions and in the early morning.

RDR is by far the best sandbox for visuals though.

A console* game done very well, can never compete visually with a PC game done well, but as mentioned I am shocked how much they managed to squeeze out of the old girl considering that the 360 has been showing its age for a couple of years now :)

*Of course I refer to the 360 as I don't own a PS3 nor have I spent any significant time with any PS3 exclusives to know how good a PS3 game can look visually compared to a 360 game ;)

Good to see people are enjoying this. I can't wait. I still have the GTAIV map as a poster on my wall, and hopefully will have the RDR one up too. So I take it the open world loading time is smoother than GTAIV?

How's the soundtrack by the way? Suitably Morricone-esque? I really like the track they've been using in the trailers. I might have to watch some Spaggy Westerns this week, interspersed by episodes of Deadwood. Unforgiven was on the other week, which is damn good too.

Looking forward to becoming notorious so (please God) the piano player stops when I walk through the saloon doors.

God, the Western is a real gold mine of cool material mostly left untouched by the games industry.

Music's good from what I heard of it, I really don't like music at all as a rule, never, ever listen to music, so all games get the music turned off right away, RDR's music I kept on for the first few hours but then at one point I was hunting wolves and it reminded me of a Criminal Intent interrogation so I turned it off :)

Thank you all for the info. I'm really hyped for this game. I'm going to play it on friday with my friend (since childhood we start together the BIG games of the season) in a 10 hour session with our projector, 5:1 and a box of cigars. Best way to start my personal goty.

Great to see the world feels really alive, I will be one of those travelling across the full map for the first weeks. Now I only hope missions are varied, fun and engaging.

That sounds awesome. BTW congrats on the well deserved 20th title...Forca Barca!!

How could they, it's bloody obvious it should have been a 9.85! Game journalism is a joke nowadays...

I hate IGN UK for reviews. They are even more worse than their US counterparts.

About the ratings, I think they should be more strict, with every number given an explanation. I see too many games given 9's and 10's. I don't think there should ever be a game with a rating of 10 unless it is PERFECT. I've never seen a game without flaws, not one.

About the ratings, I think they should be more strict, with every number given an explanation. I see too many games given 9's and 10's. I don't think there should ever be a game with a rating of 10 unless it is PERFECT. I've never seen a game without flaws, not one.

Horace Goes to Court was close.

Which by the sounds of it is a review of the SP story only.

A note about Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer: a free-roaming mode allows up to seven other players to join your game, saddle up as a posse and take on other player- or AI-controlled groups in a similar way to GTAIV's multiplayer modes. Additionally, a slew of deathmatch and capture the flag variations are available for up to 16 players, each opening with a Mexican stand-off, the survivors of which can then position themselves strategically ahead of their foes' respawning. Modern Warfare-style leveling overlays all multiplayer modes, gradually unlocking new guns, horses and costumes provided as added incentives. Unfortunately, we weren't able to test any of these modes in the version of the game supplied for review.

Quick draw? As in a duel? You just wait until it says draw or goes into Emissary mode, then push up and your crosshair moves up and you pick where you want to shoot, my first duel I didn't know that so lost, 2nd duel I hit him 5 times with the bullets starting at his groin and going up in a line to his head, 3rd and 4th duels I won by shooting his gun out of his hand, which is very cool and also earns you extra honour/fame :)

Yeah duel i forgot what it was called :LOL:

So what is the bar on the right for that fills up when you press shoot? Duelling is so hit and miss for me its unreal, i want to just fire one bullet as well not loads like i keep doing

As far as cheating goes, you have an arrow swinging from left to right on the bottom left corner, and you have to use the left stick to keep it as centered as possible.

I can't do this either, it starts on one side then i try and get it into the middle and it shoots to the other side and i'm accused of cheating

Heads-up to make sure th game does actually save when it says it is.

I've just loaded up my saved game and it's not saved a fair bit of progress and missions I've done, despite the autosave claiming it had saved :BRICK:

Back
Top Bottom