Red Dead Redemption [PC/PS3/360]

yeah it does advance 6 hours i just tried it

I had to come on here and post about how good the thunder sounds on this game and just the sound in general. The makers of games are really stepping up in terms of how good games sound these days, if you aint got 5.1 you dont know what your missing

I have a question, I'm trying to get the bollard twins outfit and the first thing is to search Thieves Landing. I have been there and nothing happened is there something i need to find?

Oh and i played a second game of poker and it told me about the dice and card cheat suits but when i went to the tailors it told me he had just been shot and the shop wont be open for another 5 days :LOL:

Great game this is, i can't see me going back to finish Alan Wake now

At the start, you can shoot a guy in the leg to capture him or shoot to kill, the marshal then takes care of the rest.

So how come I can't shoot people in the leg after that mission to wound them? Mainly with regards to bounty missions, is it only possible to capture them alive with the lasso?

Well bounty missions require you to take him back to the jail, without lassoing and hogtying them there's no way to subdue them so thus you need the lasso, one guy I captured by first shooting the rifle out of his hand by shooting him in the right shoulder and then just went closer and lassoed him.

How does the quick draw work because it seems hit and miss for me, do you have to time it or something or do you just keep pressing shoot until the bar on the right fills up and how do you cheat at poker?

I have the suit and i pressed cheat and this bar came up at the bottom but they caught me before i even had chance to do anything

Quick draw? As in a duel? You just wait until it says draw or goes into Emissary mode, then push up and your crosshair moves up and you pick where you want to shoot, my first duel I didn't know that so lost, 2nd duel I hit him 5 times with the bullets starting at his groin and going up in a line to his head, 3rd and 4th duels I won by shooting his gun out of his hand, which is very cool and also earns you extra honour/fame :)

How does the quick draw work because it seems hit and miss for me, do you have to time it or something or do you just keep pressing shoot until the bar on the right fills up and how do you cheat at poker?

I have the suit and i pressed cheat and this bar came up at the bottom but they caught me before i even had chance to do anything

As far as cheating goes, you have an arrow swinging from left to right on the bottom left corner, and you have to use the left stick to keep it as centered as possible.

What happens when you die in this then? Do you warp to a safe house like in GTA or do you just have to load an old save or checkpoint?

and how does dying during a duel work (specifically a story based one)? do you just have to keep retrying over and over?

If you die on a mission, you go back to the last checkpoint. If you die during free-roaming, you go to the nearesr safehouse, but you can also use a campfire and jump straight to a location you've visited previously, or use a stagecoach.

On a lighter note that woman gave me a horse for doing some shit with her. So I ride out of town and got into a fight with a gang, I draw my pistol and shoot my poor horse right in the face.

On a lighter note that woman gave me a horse for doing some shit with her. So I ride out of town and got into a fight with a gang, I draw my pistol and shoot my poor horse right in the face.

LOL! You should have taken the lady for a ride instead! You get me blud.

Played this for about 3 hours yesterday. Agree with you lot, cracking game, very deep story with plenty to do. Love playing poker/fingers game and have done quite a few side missions i.e bounty hunts, races and guard missions. Great voice acting and dialogue and they've definitely improved upon their old GTA engine. Fast travelling is a bonus as is building camp fires to save your progress. It all feels refined. I also like how you have random battles in the wilderness and bandits that come into town. It makes the game very unpredictable at times and adds to the overall objective/story. Superb gameplay physics and the AI are quite smart, flanking you when there's a gang of them, or surrounding you and forcing you off the beaten track as they attack.

I must say I'm having problems controlling my character/riding the horse at times especially when they get stuck between a rock or on the decking. I'm sure I'll get used to it though, like I did with GTA, but sometimes I just wish it was a little more sensitive and easier to turn your character around.

Last edited:
View distance is massive, you can see towns from miles away, loving it, it's great at night when you're riding your horse and then you slowly start to see the lights appear of the town off in the distance, do very little fast travel, just love riding my horse around and reacting to whatever little randomness is thrown at me :)

If I'm forced to pick some faults, sometimes it can be frustrating to react to wolves and such attacking you from all sides at once, occasional glitch such as I fell through the world once, occasional framerate dips but only very slight and considering how massively detailed the world is I'm shocked there's no screen tearing at all.

View distance is massive, you can see towns from miles away, loving it, it's great at night when you're riding your horse and then you slowly start to see the lights appear of the town off in the distance, do very little fast travel, just love riding my horse around and reacting to whatever little randomness is thrown at me :)

Yep, this is one of the highlights of the game for me too. Have you seen the dawn break on the game? Beautiful.

I forgot to add, the music/soundtrack is incredible.

Last edited:
Yup I've seen every time of day plus the immense thunder storms (wonder if we'll get snow falls on the map?) because the game world's just too beautiful to fast travel in right now, of course as I play more there'll be times I feel like fast travelling but right now I'm just enjoying the world too much, dawn with the parallax lighting of the sun's rays is just fantastic :)

Far Cry2 created a beautiful game world but ruined it with exceptionally boring, unimaginative gameplay and exceptionally weak story telling, RDR has created a beautiful game world, filled it with fantastic characters, wonderful animal kingdom that works as an animal kingdom (anyone seen a cougar deer hunting? That's some great shit there!), there's loads of different things to do, loads of places to go, the horse riding and shooting dynamics are especially strong, duelling also works really well, GOTY for me and a clear 10/10.

Ive got the game, but heard theres 3 distinct territories.

I take it it is all the map I can see when I click map in the pause menu?

Or are there another 2 "maps" that open up during the game?

Yup I've seen every time of day plus the immense thunder storms (wonder if we'll get snow falls on the map?) because the game world's just too beautiful to fast travel in right now, of course as I play more there'll be times I feel like fast travelling but right now I'm just enjoying the world too much, dawn with the parallax lighting of the sun's rays is just fantastic :)

Far Cry2 created a beautiful game world but ruined it with exceptionally boring, unimaginative gameplay and exceptionally weak story telling, RDR has created a beautiful game world, filled it with fantastic characters, wonderful animal kingdom that works as an animal kingdom (anyone seen a cougar deer hunting? That's some great shit there!), there's loads of different things to do, loads of places to go, the horse riding and shooting dynamics are especially strong, duelling also works really well, GOTY for me and a clear 10/10.

Sounds awesome, will be picking up this on Friday.

How long do you think it would take to complete the single player? Due to work commitments I really only have about 10 hours of "gaming time" each week, I loved GTA but it took my around about 60 hours to complete, don't know if I have that kind of time to invest at the moment.

Well if you ignore all side missions, fast travel to locations, 20-30 hours max I'd have thought, IMO you've then raped the game cos of all the wondrous things you miss out on but of course not all of us are lucky enough to be able to game 10 hours per day + weekends ;)

Ive got the game, but heard theres 3 distinct territories.

I take it it is all the map I can see when I click map in the pause menu?

Or are there another 2 "maps" that open up during the game?

Pretty sure that map is the map, you start in New Austin, south of the river is North Mexico, top right is the great plains.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/features/thefrontier
http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/features/thenorth
http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/features/mexico

Can't believe I still need to wait till the end of the week to play this game...

+++ Sits in a corner and cries like a baby +++

Back
Top Bottom