PES5 ML Thread (see new PES6 thread)

Re: The All New PES5 Master League Thread.

lol, it's a good point, I always thought he did have long hair before when I say the other picture.

November '09
Calcio Update...

bjelceleb.jpg

Bjelanovic helps Ascoli back on track

Sasa Bjelanovic netted his sixth goal of the season to defeat Lazio in the Stadio Del Duca, enabling Ascoli to quickly recover their footing and shake off some mid-week disappointment.

"We were disappointed to go out in the first round", admitted the tall Croatian, speaking of his side's early exit from the Coppa Italia at the hands of struggling Chievo. "We thought we could have a better run this time. But it is only a stumble. It was important to make sure we carry on picking up points in the league and we've done that again today."

Ascoli are now veritably steaming along in third position, hot on the heels of in-form Roma. Asked about his aims for the rest of the season, Bjelanovic's targets are two-fold. "Our aim is to get back into Europe again, and personally I want make sure I retain my place in the squad for the World Cup. But for now I'm focussed on keeping Ascoli high up the table. Everyone is feeling confident and playing well together and hopefully we can keep up the pace."

denirobob said:
If Konami pull their weight up maybe they can add this strong weather condition to PES6 (for the PS3)!

Would really love to play in conditions like that. :)

-

Nice win against Lazio nerf!

Ligue 1, Fixture 16

strike2yf.jpg

Cheyrou with a clinical strike for Auxerre

AJ Auxerre 1 - 1 FC Nantes
68’ Diallo
79’ B. Cheyrou

Okay. I’m not doing well as I should be in the league. I’ve have been languishing around the bottom four for much of the first half of the season. Too many draws and I’m not scoring enough goals!

Anyways I was hoping to revive my season by beating Nantes who were top of the table with top scorer Diallo. I was playing with my strongest line-up with a 4-5-1 formation with target man, Pieroni, as my goal-getter.

The first half was a dire one with my team and Nantes just flirting with the ball. And I wasn’t surprised to see after the break the COM managing to pick out one highlight of the first half!

Onto the second half, things started moving and there wasn’t much of the liaison with ball. Nantes were having much of the possession and were dangerous I found myself chasing the game. So it wasn’t a surprise they took the lead on the 68th minute with a long through ball by Toulalan to setup Diallo to score his 9th goal of the season!

Okay 0-1 down I decided to bring on Luyindula for Kahlenberg; and put him as a CF to play behind Pieroni…and then subbed Violeau off for Lachuer to have an AMF with Cheyrou playing as the CMF. I went all out in attack to get a goal, while Nantes were keeping possession very, which got a bit frustrating! But I managed to get the equalizer in the 79th minute with a neat one-two by Cheyrou and Lachuer; for Cheyrou to receive the past back to score a goal from 19 meters out, NICE! Cheyrou’s left-foot saved me again for the 3rd time in the season.

The match finished 1-1, which was disappointing since I wanted to win the match. But could have been worse!

The result moves me down to 14th; four points above of Marseille who are 15th…lucky I’m only 3 points away from 10th place. Nantes stay top with now 36 points, four points ahead of St.-Etienne in second.

MOM: Lachuer

Hahah great stuff SB!! :applause:

I'm glad Benoit Cheyrou's powerful left-foot has helped you again cuz I made that foot that strong :p :lol:

I'm wondering how many matches are you into this season as I've got some questions to ask you about some player cuz I want to follow them to see how they're doing and what your impressions of them are so far but I'd prefer to do that when you're at least half-way through season so you've got a good first look at most.

Thanks

I' just been through the negotiation stage so i'm in the second half of the season. Nantes was my 16th match of the season.

And about Cheyrou...he can unleash shots from out of nowhere!

Yeah thanks to great shot power/good accuracy and "middle shoot"! :D

Alright seeing as how you're in half seaosn, I suppose it's a decent amount of time spent and although you'll not have very good impression of few player as they probably still haven't played a game or just one or two as sub (I'm talking youngsters who aren't good enough yet), I'll get some questions later and ask you anyway.

see ya and best of luck in achieving your goals with AJ Auxerre.

Last edited:

WITH A LITLE HELP FROM THE MESSINA FRIENDS...

Juventus - US PALERMO 1-1

38' Cavenaghi
66' Mutu

MOTM: Mutu

Palermo was the better team until the equaliser from Mutu, from then on they were outplayed by Juventus.

They were quite lucky to hold on the draw in the end.

Meanwhile relegation battlers Messina held Milan to a 1-1 draw at San Siro.

Milan and Palermo both have 63 points, Milan leading by a better goal average.

SEMI-FINAL WEFA MASTERS CUP FIRST LEG

Deportivo La Coruna - US PALERMO 0-0

MOTM: Duscher

Palermo clearly was the better team but a superb second half of Molina denied them of the deserved goals.
Still, Palermo are in a good position for the home match.

PS: were the CPU got Duscher as MOTM beats me

US PALERMO - Chievo 2-0

6' Caraciolo
46' D'Agostino

MOTM: Bonnani

Sloppy play by the home team but this was enough to beat Chievo. US PALERMO never were in trouble.

Meanwhile AC MILAN lost inFiorentina (1-0).

Palermo are leaders with 66 points.
Milan have 63 points.

4 matches to go:

Inter Milan
AC MILAN(away)
Panathinaikos
Sampdoria Genua

and one or maybe two WEFA MASTERS CUP matches

(other semi-final: Internazionale - Newcastle Utd)

Ligue 1, Fixture 23

2441.jpg

Yepes is saluted by team mates after his performance against Auxerre

Paris St.-Germain 1 - 1 AJ Auxerre
11’ Pieroni
70’ Yepes

Since after the Nantes match I managed to play eight games including this tie against PSG.

Here is the match round up:

French Cup Quarter-finals, 2nd Leg: Auxerre 2-2 PSG (PSG go through 2-3 on agg.)
Ligue 1: FC Sochaux 3-2 Auxerre
Ligue 1: O. Lyon 0-2 Auxerre
Ligue 1: Auxerre 2-1 St.-Etienne
Ligue 1: O. Marseille 0-0 Auxerre
Ligue 1: Toulouse 0-2 Auxerre
Ligue 1: Auxerre 0-0 Le Mans UC

I went to the Parc des Princes in some decent form having gone five games unbeaten.

I started with a different line-up. I went with Luyindula & Pieroni starting upfront, Kahlenberg replaced Violeau to play behind the two CF, Cheyrou was my on form CMF with five goals to his name and Sagna replaced Radet as my pacey, attacking fullback to support Mathis on the right. So I was looking to grab three points here.

Okay first half started nicely in the 11 minute I managed to get a goal by Pieroni in a little scramble in the penalty area, where the PSG defense failed to clear the ball. Pieroni scored his 5th goal of the season with a simple tap in from about 2 metres out after coming off a defender,1-0. Dominated the whole of the first half but failed to score a second goal!

Onto the second half where PSG got back to their senses and replaced Bueno for the dangerous Pauleta! The game switched around from there and it was PSG dominating play. So late on the game my opponents got the equalizer from a sweet finish by the Colombian defender, Yepes…he just curled it into the top net to give Cool no chance…Not sure how Yepes got to that position in the first place!! I could of possible lost the match after Pauleta broke free from my defense and released a low strong shot aiming for the far post but my keeper managed to pull a great save! The match ended 1-1.

PSG move to 10th place in the table. My team are in 12th with 29 points but I’m just 7 points away from 6th place, which hopefully I can reach with seven games to go.

MOM: Yepes

-WATCH MATCH HIGHLIGHTS-

Last edited:

Week 3, Season 1 - Division 2
Romanian leads the way in all-Spanish clash
Villareal 0-1 Getafe

Getafe headed into the weekend's trip to bottom-placed Villareal in confident mood after two good results, despite lacking some cutting edge up front to date. However as their opponents had only conceded 2 goals in their 2 games, things looked set for a very long 90 minutes at El Madrigal. Getafe named an unchanged side from the one that brought back a point from the Stadio Olimpico, Pablo Redondo continuing to deputise in midfield for Gavilan.

A promising break early on down the right from Redondo resulted in a dangerous cut back, only for Vivar Dorado to completely mistime his header straight up in the air, Villareal clearing the ball when it came down. Getafe continued to keep control of the ball and try and work openings, but their final ball was not quite enough to break down a determined home defence. However the pressure told as in the 38th minute veteran striker Gica Craioveanu finally broke the deadlock, latching on to a through ball from Nano and tucking away a simple right foot finish for the visitors. See Gica's goal here (XVid, 968K).

007de08e.jpg
3ce1213c.jpg
ac8af085.jpg
c80ab443.jpg

Gica moves on to the through ball and finishes neatly to break the deadlock

Villareal began to step on the gas but Matalan managed to cut out a dangerous high ball before it could drop to Riquleme, hammering it high into the stand. Getafe reached the interval leading 1-0.

But it was a nervous looking away side who came out for the second forty five minutes, getting caught in possession a couple of times and generally looking worried in all areas of the pitch. Villareal were increasingly looking to put star striker Forlan in from wide areas and were beginning to have some success, forcing Catalayud to come racing from his goal to clear on the hour mark. Ten minutes later the Uruguyan left two players in his wake with a neat turn but Matalan threw himself at the striker's shot and deflected it wide. The resulting corner was almost turned home by Forlán but a captain's intervention from Belenguer scrambled the ball away.

The visitors were under real pressure and it was no surprise when manager Leigh Butler made a double change with twenty minutes to go, Cotelo and Paredes coming on for the beleagured Contra and Pernía. The fresh legs at the back seemed to ease the pressure and the away side saw out the remaining minutes with only minor scares. The win cements Getafe's third place, only two points behind leaders Parma. Next week they face another Spanish opponent in Deportivo La Coruna.

Man of the Match: Nano (Getafe)

Villareal (4-3-1-2): Barbosa / Peña, G. Rodríguez, Javi Venta, Arruabarrena / Senna, Tacchinardi, Sorín / Riquelme / Forlán, Franco

Getafe (4-5-1): Catalayud / Matellan, Belenguer (c), Contra (sub 73 Cotelo), Pernía (sub 73 Paredes) / Celestini, Cubillo, Redondo, Nano, Vivar Dorado / Craioveanu

Quality post again SB. This time highlights are much more watchable and it's not too dark or anything ;)

That goal by Luigi Pieroni was indeed real scrappy but hey it doesn't count how pretty they go in, just that they go in! :)

A typical great reflexion save from Fabien Cool (what a name 8) ) in last min from Pauleta as well.

Good to see you now having picked up some sorta form now 6 matches unbeaten although some draws in there as well.

Well I just finished my first season in Div 2 with Feyenoord. Ended the season on a dissapointing 5th place with promotion far away.

I did however notice during the pre-seasonal matches against better teams (e.g. Chelsea) that my players were starting to improve very rapidly. De Guzman, Kuyt, Hofs and Matthieu are developing at a spectacular rate. Immediately after noticing this I managed to renew the contracts with my main two strikes Kuyt and Kalou with 5 extra years for both. However I did release Van Hooijdonk at the end of the season, even if he was my topscorer with 7 goals during season 1. But his age (36) and his salary (719) jut weren't in balance.

At this moment season 2 is underway. I've been knocked out in the first round of the cup on penalties (second year in a row!) but I am tied for first place in the League right now after 7 games played (W 6 - D 2 - L 0). So I've been doing quite well actually.

During the first games of the season I noticed that I was lacking a big man up front. Someone not so much capable of shooting from a distance or dribbling, but just a big guy who can pass and score a ball and has good stamina, a good condition and who is consistent. So after careful consideration and tough negotiations I managed to draft J. Roberts. A 1.85 m tall CF with excellent stats. He didn't come cheap (4300 pts with a 539 salary) but he has made a difference already, scoring the equalizer in his first game and being man of the match with 7.5. A good signing I think. Since I've lost Van Hooijdonk (719 pts) and Pauwe (539 pts) I did have some budget left, so it should be no problem with the finances.

This is the team I've been playing with for a while now:
GK Lee Woon Jae (33 yrs) or Ekramy (23)
RB Collen (26) or Bandalovsky (22)
CB Vlaar (21)
CB Bahia (23) or Greene (24)
LB Bosschaart (25) or Mtiliga (24)
DMF Matthieu (22) - very very good free kicks with the left foot!
CMF De Guzman (19)
AMF Hofs (23) - very very good free kicks with the right foot!
SS Kalou (21)
CF J. Roberts (26)
RWF/CF Kuyt (26)

As you can see my team is quite young. Even more so when you consider that my main other subs are quite young as well: Castelen (23), Biseswar (19), Boussaboun (26) and Vincken (20)! A lot of development still projected on this team so you can see why I'm not looking for any further reinforcements at the moment. I am keeping my eyes open for a new GK since Lee is 33 already and his contract will expire within 1 year. Don't know yet if Ekramy is getting his chances or if I will bring a veteran keeper who I can put in the goal immediately. Lee has proven to be a good signing by the way. He might be over the hill, he still gets a lot of points for me. Keeper skills have even increased to 86!

Transfers IN:
Lee Woon Jae GK - 7.0
Matthieu DMF - 7.0
J. Roberts - n/a

Transfers OUT:
Schreuder DMF - Real Madrid
Gyan RB - unknown
Van Hooijdonk CF - unknown
Pauwe DMF - AC Milan

I'll keep you posted!

Stan said:
US PALERMO - Chievo 2-0

6' Caraciolo
46' D'Agostino

MOTM: Bonnani

Sloppy play by the home team but this was enough to beat Chievo. US PALERMO never were in trouble.

Meanwhile AC MILAN lost inFiorentina (1-0).

Palermo are leaders with 66 points.
Milan have 63 points.

4 matches to go:

Inter Milan
AC MILAN(away)
Panathinaikos
Sampdoria Genua

and one or maybe two WEFA MASTERS CUP matches

(other semi-final: Internazionale - Newcastle Utd)

Hi gerd, are u playing on 5* ?

What does your Palermo team look like at the moment?

db

lechampionnat2007_rennesmetz.gif

rennes_metz_s2.jpg

Rennes 1 (Frei 19') | Metz 1 (Djiba 6')

A pulsating first half saw all the goals, as the newly relegated side conceded their first of the season inside just 5 minutes.

Herve Tum threaded a perfect ball down the line to Algerian Ouadah, who looked up and picked out Dino Djiba steaming in. The big midfielder, using his height and power to full effect, hammered home the header from 10 yards.

It wasn't long before the impressive red and black outfit was back on level terms though, as John Utaka, playing out wider than he is normally accustomed delivered a tasty pull back to the edge of the box. Swiss star Alexander Frei met the ball with an exquisite volley that the striker knew was in, from the moment it left his boot.

The second period continued in a similar vein, with the home side dominating possession, but unable to break down a sterling Metz rearguard. Wimbee pulling off an outstanding save to deny Hadji the winner, when it looked as if the Moroccan couldn't fail to ripple the net.

Other Ligue 2 Results

Strasbourg and Anderlecht both picked up impressive away wins, winning at Nancy 3-1 and Caen 3-0 respectively. Le Mans were held 1-1 by Bastia leaving the table looking like this... link

Last edited:

Db, i'm playing on 6*.

My team currently:

GK: Villar (Paraguayan) or Santoni

CB: Terlizzi- Barzagli
SB: Zaccardo - Grosso

Midfield: 4 players out of the following: Izmailov-Insua-D'Agostino-Moutinho-Corini-Bonnani or Mariano Gonzalez (ideally: Izmailov-Moutinho-D'Agostino-Bonnani; when i need to defend: Corrini replaces one of the aforementioned- Moutinho, D'Agostino and Insua can either play central or on the wings, Izmailov is the king of the dribble and Bonnani top assister)

Forwards: two out of Bouchouari (created him myself, Lokeren player in the Jupiler League), Cavenaghi (Pes Shop), Makinwa or Caraciolo (this one not often, he's supposed to be great but he's a player that does not suit me for one reason or another...)

PS Db didn't you made a mistake in your picture, Balaban and Lange are Club Brugge players and not Anderlecht who is in your division. Club Brugge got promoted last season if i'm not mistaken...

Stan said:
Db, i'm playing on 6*.

My team currently:

GK: Villar (Paraguayan) or Santoni

CB: Terlizzi- Barzagli
SB: Zaccardo - Grosso

Midfield: 4 players out of the following: Izmailov-Insua-D'Agostino-Moutinho-Corini-Bonnani or Mariano Gonzalez (ideally: Izmailov-Moutinho-D'Agostino-Bonnani; when i need to defend: Corrini replaces one of the aforementioned- Moutinho, D'Agostino and Insua can either play central or on the wings, Izmailov is the king of the dribble and Bonnani top assister)

Forwards: two out of Bouchouari (created him myself, Lokeren player in the Jupiler League), Cavenaghi (Pes Shop), Makinwa or Caraciolo (this one not often, he's supposed to be great but he's a player that does not suit me for one reason or another...)

PS Db didn't you made a mistake in your picture, Balaban and Lange are Club Brugge players and not Anderlecht who is in your division. Club Brugge got promoted last season if i'm not mistaken...

you're absolutely right!!

I bought Caracciolo when i was a Stuttgart from Brescia, he wasnt much good then, and crap in the air which was one of the reasons i'd bought him!

Stan said:

Gerd, your surname isn't Poirot is it? :-k :mrgreen:

Well, Prof they play in Belgium so i would have to know...otherwise i'm not sure at all....

US PALERMO REACH FINAL OF WEFA MASTERS CUP:

US PALERMO - Deportivo La Coruna 2-0

66' Bouchouari
78' Bouchouari

MOTM: Bouchouari 7,5

Yesterday Palermo coach Gerd Dk had a touch of genius in the second half, when he brought in Mariano Gonzalez and Hakim Bouchouari for Bonnani and Makinwa (who both were playing a great match) in 65' of the match.
Both players first ball contact proved decisive: after a corner for Deportivo, the ball came to Mariano Gonzalez who started a long run on the right side, centered to Bouchouari who scored with a sensational volley.

Afterwards the same Bouchouari doubled the score.

PALERMO play Inter Milan in the final.

A bizar calendar for the rest of the season.
Palermo are top of the Serie A followed by AC Milan (who trail 3 points) and Inter.

Next matches:

Serie A: Inter - Palermo
Euro Cup: Inter - Palermo
Serie A: AC Milan - Palermo
Serie A: Palermo - Panathinaikos
Serie A: Sampdoria - Palermo.

We have to play five finals in a row was Gerd Dk's reaction...now we'll see if this team is able to play under big pressure...it promisses to be an intresting period.

Best of luck, Gerd :)

A double-header with Inter and then a very tasty fixture with Milan, could be the title decider...

Finally something to cheer about! Feyenoord are Div 2 champions in their second season, finishing 1 point above Toulouse whom they beat in the last game of the season to win the championship! Promotion to the first division is next!

Something not so cheerful; the AI has renewed 5 contracts on its own! Has anyone had this before? I am absolutely 100% sure I didn't do it myself, because I wanted to get rid of these players. I've got 4 goalies at the moment as a result of this!

Please can anyone help me? How can this have happened? Thnx!

It would only have happened, had you gone forward one week, after the last game of the season, as negotiations are set to accept as default.

lechampionnat2007_metzlemans.gif

metz_lemans_s2.jpg

Metz 1 (Walter 86') | Le Mans 1 (Tulio 36')

A woeful first half from the home side who failed to create a single scoring chance, and were punished on 36 minutes when Brazilian Tulio finished off a cross by Choplin. It was no more than the side deserved, as they always looked far more menacing and creative in their approach play.

As the minutes ticked by, it looked more and more like a second successive home defeat, only for two young substitutes to combine and save a point for Svensson's men.

Young Dutch winger Denissen making only his second appearance in the maroon and white got himself to the byline and drove a low ball back into the box. Walter an up and coming attacking midfielder, on for the ineffectual N'Diaye reached the ball before Pele and knocked it over the line for a barely deserved equaliser.

LINK

Other Ligue 2 results...

Bastia 2
Caen 1
-
Strasbourg 1
Anderlecht 2
-
Rennes 1
Nancy 0

Anderlecht vs Real Zaragoza - Division 2, Matchday 8

Match Highlights - 13.7mb, fast download ... http://www.sendspace.com/file/hmm2pt

After bringing in four new players in the transfer window, it was some surprise that Victor Munoz didn't introduce any of his new players, with Arca, Seitaridis, Schwarz and Huber all having to be content with a place on the bench. The league leaders looked to play a similar formation as their opponents, with Mbo Mpenza looking to expose Toledo, and Clayton Zane being the focal point for the team's attack. Young starlet Vincent Kompany wasn't in the starting line up for the Belgians, with Juhasz in his place next to Tihinen.

After 12 minutes of Zaragoza dominance, the away side fashioned their first chance. A ball in from Ponzio was headed out by Baseggio, but the clearance only fell to Zapater, who unleashed a swerving right-footed drive which brought out a decent save from Proto. From the corner which Savio curled outward from the left-side, Diego Milito beat everyone to the ball with a brave diving header that hit the bar. Whilst the Anderlecht defenders played the role of statues, Oscar reacted well, and lifted a high ball from just outside the 6-yard box onto Milito's head, and this time the striker made no mistake from 4 yards out, heading into the corner of the goal. The league leaders were down at home, much to the despair of the home side.

Milito peels away to celebrate after opening the scoring

Immediately after taking the lead, Zaragoza went close again. Ewerthon beat Juhasz down the right flank, and looked to whip in a cross to Diego Milito, but a mishit cross nearly beat Proto, who did well to avoid being embarrassed. It was almost deja-vu from the corner. Savio whipped in the cross from the same side, straight to Milito who wasn't properly marked. The striker took his goal tally in the league to 7, as he reacted first and nodded the ball past Proto, who had no chance. The header was well taken and had great pace on it. It was looking grim for the home side - after just 16 minutes, they were 2 down.

The second goal seemed to spur Anderlecht on. Mpenza did well to get a cross in from the right, but it was a shame that Zane's downward header just beat the post. But, this was all Anderlecht managed to put together, with Gabi Milito and Alvaro proving a solid partnership at the back.

With 5 minutes left in the first half, and Zaragoza firmly in control, Oscar had to go off with what looked like a hamstring pull for Corona. Munoz must be hoping that his influential midfield playmaker isn't out for too long.

The injury curse strikes again

It seemed that the injury had a bad effect on the team - Anderlecht split apart the defence, with Mpenza getting in behind Toledo. The Belgian forwards shot brought out Cesar, who made an awesome save. But at half time, it was Zaragoza who were well ahead.

The second half was only three minutes old when Anderlecht made their first change - Zane came off for Iachtchouk, who scored in the first game of the season against Zaragoza.

With nothing much happening, Zaragoza brought on Arca for his debut, in place of Savio.

Straight after this, a ball in from the right from Pujol to Lovre created another chance - Lovre took the ball down well and fired a fearsome shot from the edge of the box, which was destined for the goal, had it not been for Cesar, who did magnificently well to divert the ball over with a one-handed save.

Arca was looking to make an impression on the game, and he nearly did. He received the ball inside the Anderlecht half, ran past a weak challenge, and hit a low, left-footed drive across the face of goal, forcing Proto to make a good save. Shortly after, goalscorer Diego Milito was brought off for Schwarz, making his debut too.

The second half was largely disappointing, with few chances. Pujol probably missed the best chance - Iachtchouk won the ball, passed the ball to an open Pujol, but the winger smashed his low half-volley wide. With the game coming to an end, Corona hit a long through ball to Ewerthon, who laid the ball off to Schwarz. The big German striker's first touch beat Tihinen, a great shot fake beat Juhasz, but when under-pressure by both centre-backs, the striker hit his shot at Proto from inside the area.

In the dying minutes of stoppage time, Iachtchouk again put Pujol in on goal, but again Anderlecht failed to beat Cesar. The away side move to within three points of the Belgians, who remain top as Porto failed to capitalise on their slip up. For the visitors, this win represents a continuation of the rich form that they've found, and with plenty of matches left from now until the end of the season, Zaragoza are proving to be the betting man's tip for promotion.

The team were clearly delighted with the result - after the final whistle, they went over and celebrated with their fans who made the long trip to Belgium.

Final Score
Anderlecht 0
Real Zaragoza 2 (Diego Milito x2)

Last edited:

Cheers mate - I'm actually at Matchday 13 right now with just that and the final game to go at home to Porto. I won't spoil the rest of the season for anyone though.

December '09
Calcio Update...

roma2.jpg

Shock leaders stun Roma

Ascoli have emerged as the surprising new leaders of Serie A thanks to a double blow by Francileudo Dos Santos, downing Roma in the Stadio Olimpico.

The Tunisian international pounced on a first-half mix-up between Dacourt and Kuffour to finish clinically past Pelizzoli, then with nine minutes remaining he struck a second time to put the game beyond Roma's reach.

Click to WATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Roma should have known what to expect after Ascoli had ambushed Juventus last week, but instead became the latest side to succumb to their hard-working, frustrating gameplan. These two unexpected wins, the latest in a run of seven unbeaten and seven consecutive clean sheets, have enabled in-form Ascoli to leapfrog suddenly to the top of the table by one point.

roma1.jpg

The past fortnight has epitomised the basis of the Ascoli approach. Take the chances when presented, nick an early goal, then sit back with ten behind the ball and five congesting the midfield. Sasa Bjelanovic, scorer of the only goal against Juventus, already has a league tally of eight - one more than his entire account last season and one behind Udinese's Iaquinta in the current marcatori chart.

It is Udinese who will encounter Ascoli next, one team standing between Ascoli and a chance to go into the winter break as leaders. "The hard part will be to stay there", admitted captain Domenico Cristiano after the Roma win. "We're on a good run of form and we want to finish as high up the table as possible."

Serie A standings

1. 30pts Ascoli
2. 29pts Roma
3. 26pts Milan
4. 25pts Juventus
5. 22pts Inter

Prof Nutmeg, do you know how to turn the default setting off for the contract renewals? I'm pretty much screwed now btw. Far too much players, and most that I don't want/need anymore. Do you think releasing them and accepting the fine might me a good idea? I don't get transfer-requests for them anyway...

Thnx for your reaction!

Back
Top Bottom