PES5 ML Thread (see new PES6 thread)

Re: The All New PES5 Master League Thread.

Alaves vs Real Zaragoza - Division 2 Cup, Quarter Final Leg 2 (1-0 to Zaragoza in Leg 1)

Match Highlights - http://www.sendspace.com/file/h6rt6x

La Blanquillos travelled to the Basque country looking to protect their slender home lead in order to progress to the cup semi final. They'd have to do it without Movilla, who was still injured from the match against Malaga. Generelo came into the side, along with Valbuena, Cuartero and Cesar Jimenez, in for Cesar, Ponzio and Alvaro respectively. Alaves, for their part, lined up pretty strong in this match, showing that they didn't at all think they were out the cup. Pape Thiaw and Antchouet were selected by Juan Carlos Oliva, as he sent out his side to entertain the crowd in front of a packed Estadio Mendizorroza.

Very early on, and it was the home side who looked like going down another goal. Coromina had pressed forward on the overlap, but his cross was poorly delivered, and a great through ball by his opposite number, Cuartero, had Ewerthon, the returning Brazilian, away free down the Alaves left. Whilst Ewerthon easily beat Pellegrino down the left with a stepover, his cross failed to meet the target of Diego Milito, the leading goalscorer in the league.

Zaragoza, in the first 15 minutes, were more than content to hold on to possession, and knock the ball around the back. However, when they did get forward, a slick turn by Oscar helped him beat Astudillo, but the creative midfielder screwed his shot high and wide. Whilst Zaragoza carried on this trend, and threatened through Ewerthon, the final delivery wasn't always there. Gabi Milito was drawn out to the left hand side to cover for Toledo, but the left full back failed to close down Antchouet, who was screaming for Wesley to square it to him. It looked like the striker had beaten Valbuena with a low drive, but the flat-footed keeper was saved by his right-hand post.

Alaves weren't to be denied though. They drove forward relentlessly after this, with Zaragoza unable to clear the ball. Poli worked some space down the left, and whipped in a great ball from the left byline. The high pull back was met by a leaping Antchouet, who this time had better luck - the unmarked header thundered into the goal off the underside of the crossbar. Alaves were back on level terms in the tie.

The away goal that Zaragoza were now so desperate for was in their reach. Actually, it was in Oscar's reach. The midfield maestro was controlling the attacking Blanquillos flow, and a well worked one-two with Ewerthon released him. It was therefore a massive shame that his first time shot was taken rashly, and it trickled past the right hand post. It was a badly squandered opportunity, as Oscar was clean through, one on one with Costanzo.

Was the luck going to swing back in Zaragoza's favour? Oscar was felled in the box around the hour mark, after a long period of sustained pressure from the away side. The referee had no hesitations at pointing to the spot, much to the dismay of the home fans and the Alaves players.

Easy fellas.

Diego Milito stepped up, and from 12 yards, rolled the ball gently down the middle past Costanzo. La Blanquillos now had the crucial away goal.

Milito gets some love

After the goal, Zaragoza made a substitution - Oscar, who had played very well but looked jaded, for Corona.

It would be the sub who would fashion the next chance for Ewerthon - a good one-two released the winger, but his shot across the face of goal was tame, and Costanzo parried it away easily. Corona would link up well with Generelo, who would play a delightful through pass to Savio, but the midfielder lashed his shot well wide from just outside the box.

Chus came on for a very weary Cuartero.

Immediately after the delay, Ewerthon raced down the right side, and whipped in a decent cross, but Generelo saw his header just go over. Chus would have a hand in the next attack - his strong challenge on De Lucas helped release Ewerthon, whose accurate pass reached frontman Milito. The striker turned on the ball, and waited for the late run of Corona, who was not picked up. A smart first touch drew Costanzo out and helped to make it hard for Sarriegi. The next touch guaranteed Zaragoza's place in the last four - A precise left-foot finish from inside the box propelled the ball into the top left of Costanzo's goal, who stood no chance.

It was a fantastic away triumph for Zaragoza, who now face Malaga in the next round.

Victor Munoz: "We are delighted to progress in the cup. I think the format suits us a lot more compared to the league, because we have struggled to turn draws into victories. The atmosphere generated by the fans in cup games is special, and my players rise to the occasion. Of course, we know that there is a lot to do in the next round. However, we must concentrate on the league for now as we have a very tough game in Portugal next week."

Final Score
Alaves - 1 (Antchouet)
Real Zaragoza - 2 (D. Milito pen, Corona)

Zaragoza win 3-1 on aggregate.

chr_5438968.mittel.jpg

Christiansen draws level

Buffel Baffles Duisburg

Hannover 3
Christiansen 25'
Buffel 78' 89'

Duisburg 1
Ahanfouf 15'

Thomas Buffel came off the bench to earn 3 points for his new club with a masterful solo display. The Belgian forward who signed from Rangers FC this summer, struck two well executed left footed goals after Thomas Christiansen had put the home side on level terms. Duisburg had gone infront on 15 minutes through some good link up play between Kurth and Ahanfouf, the latter picking his spot perfectly in the left corner of the net.
On only day two of the new campaign and Professor Nutmeg has registered his first loss.

6428-media.jpg

Ahanfouf celebrates his opener

denirobob said:
5 mil, that's quite a hefty amount for Ascoli isnt it ?
It's about £3.5m. Two years of Champions League participation has helped swell the coffers a little. I think with the closure of the transfer window fast approaching, Sampdoria were able to play a little hardball.

did you know Chiumiento in italian means 'biscuit' and in german means 'man' ;)
I didn't, but I'm glad I do now! ;)

preseasongames2006.gif

hansdennsigns.jpg

21 year old Dutch winger Hans Denissen officially completed his move from Willem II today - link

Putting pen to paper on a 3 year deal, the young right midfielder spoke of his excitement at a chance in the "limelight of Ligue 2", but also of his sadness at leaving behind his childhood club.

hansdennsigns2.jpg

"It is a wrench for me, for sure. I grew up just a few minutes walk from the club, and all my best memories are associated with the red white and blue." He continued, "Tilburg is my home, where my family and friends are, and I'll always keep them in my heart. But today is the first day of an amazing opportunity, and I'll grasp it with both hands to repay Metz faith in my abilities".

It is possible the youngster will be given some game time either tonight against tournament hosts HSV or tomorrow against Villarreal, but Svensson will be keen to allow him to settle in his own time, as the transition from the Netherlands to France won't be an easy one.

That picture of the 5 lads looks a little suspect, lol. Looks like he'll be a good squad player though.

Empty that pm box of yours Robert De Niro ;)

And nice stuff as always Blurry! :)

denirobob said:
unlucky proff.

db

Indeed! and we were in a confident mood after a 2-0 season opener home win over Leverkusen. But that's football.
I think Hannover have made a good signing in master Buffel. If he shows more of the form that he did against us, Hannover could well be the league's most improved side this season.

So where is Hans Denissen going to fit onto your 4-4-2 diamond formation - as a striker?

ground2bs.jpg

A new day for Stringer Bell

Okay decided to play with Auxerre to try something different. I wanted to start in Div1 for the first time and manage a relative good team. Not only that but I’ll be challenging for the title from the get go! Or at least a finish in a top 4 place, which is one of my two main goals for the season. This might work for me or against me, but I just hope it last me at least 4 to 5 seasons before I find it unchallenging…or tedious!

Okay now to the squad. Good team, first thing I noticed is there’s more defenders than midfielders. But anyways there are some good players in the squad, in attack I’ve got Luyindula and Pieroni who I can choose upfront plus two young players, Lejeune and Poyet, who I can give a run in the team. Midfielders, I’ve got some solid ones like B. Cheyrou (who’s got some crazy left foot)…Kahlenberg who’s my AMF along with the veteran Lachuer (who can also play on the right and has a mean freekick) and youngster Vadócz...Violeau my captain and DMF, former Villa player Berson (can play DMF/CMF if needed), I’ve got the restless Mathis, who can play a number of positions, and pacey left winger Akale! There are 12 defenders in total in the team; the key ones are Bolf, Mignot, Jaurès and Radet…there is also young players like Kalabane and Kaboul, who are both tall CBT, the Swiss Grichting (can play CBT/LB), Sagna a quick RB, Coulibaly (strong CBT who I can use as a DMF) and other players like Martin, Vignaud and Suriano. Cool is my main Goalkeeper while Hamel will be challenging for the shirt and Chabert is the young in.

I play a 4-5-1 formation with either Luyindula or Pieroni my lone strikers. The five in midfield are Violeau (DMF), Cheyrou (CMF)...Mathis on the right side of Midfield and Akale on the left...with Kahlenberg as my playmaker to feed the loan strike. And Cool the goalkeeper.

auxerre9eb.png

I sorted out Div1 like this:

AJ Auxerre
Toulouse FC
AS Monaco
Bordeaux
O. Lyon
Lille OSC
Le Mans
FC Nantes
OGC Nice
O. Marseille
St. Etienne
Stade Rennais
RC Lens
PSG
FC Sochaux
RC Strasbourg

Div2 consists of French teams FC Metz, AS Nancy, ES Troyes and AC Ajaccio...with the Belgium RSC Anderlecht and Club Brugge...plus the Dutch RBC Roosendaal and FC Groningen.

Manage to sort out the other league in a different way. I put a total of 16 different European nations (including French teams) into the ML, hoping at least 10 of them can get into Europe, so I can play in the CL or UEFA Cup with different teams in the group stages and knockout rounds.

Professor Nutmeg said:
Indeed! and we were in a confident mood after a 2-0 season opener home win over Leverkusen. But that's football.
I think Hannover have made a good signing in master Buffel. If he shows more of the form that he did against us, Hannover could well be the league's most improved side this season.

So where is Hans Denissen going to fit onto your 4-4-2 diamond formation - as a striker?

Nope, right wing - hopefully!! he'll be able to put some decent balls in for tum & gueye.

db

Stringer Bell said:
ground2bs.jpg

A new day for Stringer Bell

Okay decided to play with Auxerre to try something different. I wanted to start in Div1 for the first time and manage a relative good team. Not only that but I’ll be challenging for the title from the get go! Or at least a finish in a top 4 place, which is one of my two main goals for the season. This might work for me or against me, but I just hope it last me at least 4 to 5 seasons before I find it unchallenging…or tedious!

Okay now to the squad. Good team, first thing I noticed is there’s more defenders than midfielders. But anyways there are some good players in the squad, in attack I’ve got Luyindula and Pieroni who I can choose upfront plus two young players, Lejeune and Poyet, who I can give a run in the team. Midfielders, I’ve got some solid ones like B. Cheyrou (who’s got some crazy left foot)…Kahlenberg who’s my AMF along with the veteran Lachuer (who can also play on the right and has a mean freekick) and youngster Vadócz...Violeau my captain and DMF, former Villa player Berson (can play DMF/CMF if needed), I’ve got the restless Mathis, who can play a number of positions, and pacey left winger Akale! There are 12 defenders in total in the team; the key ones are Bolf, Mignot, Jaurès and Radet…there is also young players like Kalabane and Kaboul, who are both tall CBT, the Swiss Grichting (can play CBT/LB), Sagna a quick RB, Coulibaly (strong CBT who I can use as a DMF) and other players like Martin, Vignaud and Suriano. Cool is my main Goalkeeper while Hamel will be challenging for the shirt and Chabert is the young in.

I play a 4-5-1 formation with either Luyindula or Pieroni my lone strikers. The five in midfield are Violeau (DMF), Cheyrou (CMF)...Mathis on the right side of Midfield and Akale on the left...with Kahlenberg as my playmaker to feed the loan strike. And Cool the goalkeeper.

auxerre9eb.png

I sorted out Div1 like this:

AJ Auxerre
Toulouse FC
AS Monaco
Bordeaux
O. Lyon
Lille OSC
Le Mans
FC Nantes
OGC Nice
O. Marseille
St. Etienne
Stade Rennais
RC Lens
PSG
FC Sochaux
RC Strasbourg

Div2 consists of French teams FC Metz, AS Nancy, ES Troyes and AC Ajaccio...with the Belgium RSC Anderlecht and Club Brugge...plus the Dutch RBC Roosendaal and FC Groningen.

Manage to sort out the other league in a different way. I put a total of 16 different European nations (including French teams) into the ML, hoping at least 10 of them can get into Europe, so I can play in the CL or UEFA Cup with different teams in the group stages and knockout rounds.

Kahlenberg has looked great when i've seen him on Eurosport mate, how are you gonna cope, if a bigger side comes in with a decent offer ?

db

Stringer Bell said:
former Villa player Berson
Soon to be! ;) He's still on loan, but he doesn't want to come back and I can't blame him. I expect they'll probably sort out a deal to keep him there.

It's a shame because he impressed the Villa fans on the rare occasions that he was given a chance to play, but either O'Leary wasn't impressed or he just failed to settle in England (both, I assume).

Hope he does better for you, SB.

Looks like a very interesting decision SB. Auxerre are a good choice I think. They have some quality players too. I look forward to your reports mate.

denirobob said:
Kahlenberg has looked great when i've seen him on Eurosport mate, how are you gonna cope, if a bigger side comes in with a decent offer ?

db
Hopefuly i can hold on to him...since i'm trying to turn Auxerre into a bigger club here :)

But there's always the Hungarian Vadcoz who can possibly take his place if he goes...think he came in during the transfer window or maybe at the start of the season, since he wasn't in my original OF. I'm using PLF OF here.

But yeah i'll like to hold on to him as long as possible :)

nerf said:
Soon to be! ;) He's still on loan, but he doesn't want to come back and I can't blame him. I expect they'll probably sort out a deal to keep him there.

It's a shame because he impressed the Villa fans on the rare occasions that he was given a chance to play, but either O'Leary wasn't impressed or he just failed to settle in England (both, I assume).

Hope he does better for you, SB.
Oh never knew that, thought Auxerre bought him of Villa!

Hardly ever seen him play once last season, if i did it was probably some highlights.

Anyways he should be one of my key players in the future, when Violeau decides to retire.

theblurry1 said:
Looks like a very interesting decision SB. Auxerre are a good choice I think. They have some quality players too. I look forward to your reports mate.
Thanks mate :)

Last edited:

Sounds good SB, I just don't know why you put Anderlecht and Brugge there in Div2 since there is a good chance one of them at least will get promoted over the ones we want promoted (the 4 French teams) or maybe I should say I want. That's why I put the 4 French teams plus 4 weakest teams in game (4 lowest Dutch teams). So unless you have no prob with one of those Belgian sides coming into Div 1 next season and killing a bit of realism for you there in Ligue 1, I think it's not a good decision but maybe you don't mind I don't know..

Looks like you've already gotten to know your squad players quite well I must say and I'm sure you'll be enjoying this immensely! ;)

Oh yeah and just a note, Yann Lachuer is your primary captain since he's been Auxerre captain for many years but only reason Violeau is in the file you got is because Lacheur is now often not in first team but gets rotated, so if you are to start both in a match, perhaps you should give back the armband to Lacheur as it happens in real life but of course keeping it on Violeau is no harm since he's the oldest and most experienced player and Ex-Lyon captain! Only advantage Lacheur has in terms of captaincy over him is that he's been at Auxerre much longer and was captain even before Violeau joins Auxerre a little while ago.

PLF said:
Sounds good SB, I just don't know why you put Anderlecht and Brugge there in Div2 since there is a good chance one of them at least will get promoted over the ones we want promoted (the 4 French teams) or maybe I should say I want. That's why I put the 4 French teams plus 4 weakest teams in game (4 lowest Dutch teams). So unless you have no prob with one of those Belgian sides coming into Div 1 next season and killing a bit of realism for you there in Ligue 1, I think it's not a good decision but maybe you don't mind I don't know..

Looks like you've already gotten to know your squad players quite well I must say and I'm sure you'll be enjoying this immensely! ;)

Oh yeah and just a note, Yann Lachuer is your primary captain since he's been Auxerre captain for many years but only reason Violeau is in the file you got is because Lacheur is now often not in first team but gets rotated, so if you are to start both in a match, perhaps you should give back the armband to Lacheur as it happens in real life but of course keeping it on Violeau is no harm since he's the oldest and most experienced player and Ex-Lyon captain! Only advantage Lacheur has in terms of captaincy over him is that he's been at Auxerre much longer and was captain even before Violeau joins Auxerre a little while ago.
Thanks.

Nah, i have no problems with the two Belgian sides getting promoted.

Also about the captain, i do give it to Lacheur when his in the side and Violeau is not playing.

Ligue 1, Fixture 12

1.jpg

Thomert speaks on his performance against Auxerre

RC Lens 6 - AJ Auxerre 0
Thomert 15’ 54’ 88’
Frau 17’
Dindane 61’
Jussie 81’

DAMN! I really got an arse whooping against Lens today!

I woke up around 11:45am today, thought to myself I’ll play one ML game before I get washed & dressed, eat something and go to College...sinceI’ll be starting lessons today at 1pm.

Anyways I was going away to Lens coming of a back of a 1-0 defeat to Nice, which was won in the 90 minute by a B. Kone freekick! I started this game with a weak squad, due to fatigue so inexperienced Vadócz was playing as AMF, the two CB were young Kaboul and Martin…and I had to play some players who were fatigued since I had no choice! Lens were playing an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

Anyways I couldn’t remember how all of the goals were scored but what I did remember was the two SS (Thomert & Dindane) were ripping my back four apart…S. Keita and Jussiê kept on delivering long balls, through ball and all sorts to the wings, which really fucked me up! The Lens defense, especially with A. Diarra protecting it, was hard to break down.

I never really got going in the match. Luyindula was really disappointing, kept on getting offside...while 20 year old Lejeune was knackered on the left and Vadócz couldn’t do much. Tired Violeau, Mathis and Berson were kept quiet by S. Keita and A. Diarra.

This loss puts me 12th and Lens move up to 9th.

Man of the Match: Dindane

Re: Ligue 1, Fixture 12

Stringer Bell said:
1.jpg

Thomert speaks on his performance against Auxerre

RC Lens 6 - AJ Auxerre 0
Thomert 15’ 54’ 88’
Frau 17’
Dindane 61’
Jussie 81’

DAMN! I really got an arse whooping against Lens today!

I woke up around 11:45am today, thought to myself I’ll play one ML game before I get washed & dressed, eat something and go to College...sinceI’ll be starting lessons today at 1pm.

Anyways I was going away to Lens coming of a back of a 1-0 defeat to Nice, which was won in the 90 minute by a B. Kone freekick! I started this game with a weak squad, due to fatigue so inexperienced Vadócz was playing as AMF, the two CB were young Kaboul and Martin…and I had to play some players who were fatigued since I had no choice! Lens were playing an attacking 4-3-3 formation.

Anyways I couldn’t remember how all of the goals were scored but what I did remember was the two SS (Thomert & Dindane) were ripping my back four apart…S. Keita and Jussiê kept on delivering long balls, through ball and all sorts to the wings, which really fucked me up! The Lens defense, especially with A. Diarra protecting it, was hard to break down.

I never really got going in the match. Luyindula was really disappointing, kept on getting offside...while 20 year old Lejeune was knackered on the left and Vadócz couldn’t do much. Tired Violeau, Mathis and Berson were kept quiet by S. Keita and A. Diarra.

This loss puts me 12th and Lens move up to 9th.

Man of the Match: Dindane

SIX NIL! bloody hell, i think the worst i've got is a 4 or 5 at Maritimo.

Read the riot act to them mate!!

db

Funny thing is in real life Auxerre lost this fixture 7-0!!! :D

Re: Ligue 1, Fixture 12

denirobob said:
SIX NIL! bloody hell, i think the worst i've got is a 4 or 5 at Maritimo.

Read the riot act to them mate!!

db
Yup they just kept putting in longballs and these long through balls that kept catching out my defense!

Anyways in the next game i managed to hold Strasbourg (sp) to a 0-0 draw, to go through to the next round of the cup. YAY :)

September '09
Calcio Update...

group.jpg

Back to basics for Ascoli

The motto at the stadio Del Duca these days must be "stick to what you know". Two seasons of heady Champions League participation had given Ascoli ideas above their station, and while their heads were in the clouds their Serie A form plunged desperately. But for a recovery over the latter part of last season, mostly coinciding - through no coincidence - with an exit from Europe, their neglect of the domestic campaign could have had further reaching consequences.

Changes occurred over the summer. Out went some of the dead wood with the departures of Cudini (36) and Morales (34), along with the notable and controversial sale of highly-rated Mexican wingback Jaime Lozano. Ascoli's technical staff had a masterplan in mind, preaching a return to the team ethic and Italian values that had earned their rise in the first place. Clearly no individual was sacred.

In came the enthusiastic Andrea Gasbarroni from Sampdoria's bench, eager to prove himself even if Davide Chiumiento had reputedly been Ascoli's first-choice target ahead of him. The notion was clear; the club was seeking a largely native squad in preparation for getting back to basics and promoting togetherness, an approach that has been tangible throughout the opening three weeks with Ascoli claiming victories over Chievo, Inter and Palermo.

huntingpack.jpg
Ascoli's midfield goes hunting in packs

A shift from the old 4-1-3-2 formation to a new 4-2-3-1 is looking like an astute move. Ascoli's five smothering and hard-working midfielders contract the centre of the park and allow their opponents no time or space on the ball, while simultaneously offering support to the lone striker, either Dos Santos or Bjelanovic. For the moment the effective Croat has the nod and has responded with three goals in three games.

"We're working hard for each other and the team unit is tighter again", confirms midfielder Mattia Biso, a much more regular starter in the current system. "We needed to get back to doing the fundamentals right."

No longer distracted by European flights of fancy amongst UEFA's elite, Ascoli can focus on trying to re-discover the knack that made them a dangerous opponent in Serie A two years ago.

PLF said:
@Gerd/Stan check your pm's.

PLF, you have sent it to the adress of my laptop, i canread the incoming mails from this PC (my wife's) but i left my laptop att work...so unlees you sentthis PM to Stan, i will only beable to read it tomorrow....
Thanks anyway....

US PALERMO - Juventus 1-2
(13' Trezeguet, 31 Bouchouari, 89' Ibrahimovic)
MOTM: Buffon

Shots on goal:

Palermo: 22
Juventus: 2

Ball possession:

Palermo 54%
Juventus 46%

The holders eliminated in the semi-finals of the Coppa.
Juventus are playing the coppa final for the second consecutive time...
US PALERMO were enormously disappointed

hello guys! well ive not folowed this thread, but wanna start coming here :p so who shall i start a ML with? i wanna be a not so amazing team (ie. Man utd Barcelona, Ac M, Juventus, Lyon, Bayern,) and a not so poor team, a team that cud challenge for 3rd/4th/5th in there league? what u guys think? :p

How about you just pick your Lens team that perfectly matches your description and you picked originally but this time not ruin the authenticy of actually BEING Lens by buying 9 players (7 of them which are unrealistic) during first transfer window in middle of season ;)

p.s. Stan/I could pm you but doesn't matter I assume you're going back to work tomorrow anyway so you'll see it then, there's no rush ;)

take care

A big thank you to all the posters for their excellent stories in this thread, reading through them is a real pleasure!

I have just started a new Master League playing as Spanish side Getafe C.F., based in southern Madrid. I am playing on 6* (which should be a real challenge for me but might as well do things properly) and am starting with 5,000 points. This season's salary bill weighs in at about 11,000 so there's plenty of work to do but fingers crossed!

Week 1, Season 1 - Division 2
Getafe take the spoils in home opener
Getafe 1-0 Panathinaikos (Pernía 77)

Leigh Butler's reign as Getafe manager got off to a winning start as they came out on top by a single goal against the Greek side Panathinaikos. The crucial goal came late in the second half, as Gica Craioveanu was fouled in the penalty box and Mariano Pernía stepped up to hammer home the resulting spot kick.

Getafe lined up in a cautious 4-5-1 formation for this opening league game and controlled the early stages without really fashioning a clear cut chance. Home keeper Catalayud was called into action with 20 minutes gone as he palmed away a sharp shot from Gekas, the home defence reacting very slowly to a cute through ball. Craioveanu wasted a good chance shortly afterwards for Getafe as he could only fire a snap shot wide in a good deal of space in the box.

Half time came and went goalless, but with play being broken up by numerous Panathinaikos fouls, Getafe found it difficult to get any sort of rhythm going. Greek forward Papadopoulos went on a good run from midfield on the hour but screwed his shot well wide as the visitors started to get into the game more, and Gekas wasted another opportunity, scooping a tame shot into the hands of Catalayud.

The crucial moment came in the 77th minute, as Getafe worked a neat interplay of passes in midfield before captain David Belenguer found Craioveanu with his back to goal in the penalty box. Before he could turn and work an opening, Panathinaikos centre back Kotsios dived in with a scything challenge to bring him down. Pernía made no mistake from the spot, smashing the penalty into the top left corner of the net.

1_1_penalty.jpg

Pernía scores the opener for Getafe

Getafe proceeded to shut up shop, and despite some threatening passes in and around the penalty box, the Greeks could not find a way through.

One point of concern to home supporters is a potential injury to midfielder Jaime Gavilán, who had his heels clipped midway through the first half and required some treatment. Despite completing 80 minutes, he looked in some difficulty in the second half and might be a doubt for next week's trip to Italian giants Lazio.

Man of the Match: Pernía (Getafe)
Getafe (4-5-1):
Catalayud / Matellan, Belenguer (c), Contra, Pernía / Celestini, Cubillo, Gavilan, Nano, Vivar Dorado / Craioveanu

Week 2, Season 1 - Division 2
Bore draw earns Getafe away point
Lazio 0-0 Getafe

Getafe named almost an unchanged lineup for their trip to the mighty Lazio, the only enforced change being Pablo Redondo's inclusion in place of the injured Gavilan. Lazio had destroyed Sporting Lisbon 3-1 away the previous week, making the small Spanish club's task seem even more daunting. However the Biancocelesti surprisingly opted to go like for like and switch to a 4-5-1 formation. Getafe wore their change strip of red and white quarters, as they faced the cauldron of the Stadio Olimpico.

The first half passed without very much action at all and without a single shot in anger, Lazio looking the more threatening going forward but Belenguer in particular standing firm in Getafe's back line, clearing two dangerous crosses before they could be pounced upon.

The second half followed the pattern established in the first 45 minutes, long bouts of ineffective possession punctuated by a succession of fouls. Perhaps the brightest chance of the game came with about 10 minutes to go, when Gica Craioveanu conceded a needless free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Liverani however could only smash his shot into the wall, which summed up the lack of guile and craft evident in the game.

The full time whistle blew and put a frustrated set of home fans out of their misery, the score ending 0-0. Getafe will probably take more from the game despite not managing a single effort on goal.

pes52006-04-0219-07-28-70.jpg
pes52006-04-0219-13-16-25.jpg

Getafe's defence stands strong / Belenguer enjoys some post-match banter

Man of the Match: C. Keller (Lazio)

Getafe (4-5-1): Catalayud / Matellan, Belenguer (c), Contra, Pernía / Celestini (sub 67 Aguilar), Cubillo, Redondo, Nano (sub 67 Cotelo), Vivar Dorado / Craioveanu

Lazio (4-5-1): Peruzzi / Cribari, Stendardo, Oddo, Giallombardo / Mea Vitali, Liverani, Mauri (sub 70 Mudingayi), C.Keller (sub 89 Manfredini), Bonnani (sub 89 Zauri) / Rocchi

The result keeps Getafe in 3rd place in Division 2. (I was intending to try and grab some highlights, but the match was so bad that PES didn't show any :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom