PES2010 discussion thread

Re: PES2010 News & Rumours thread

If manual controls were made right, I believe they would be for everyone indeed. But the thing is in FIFA09 it killed individualism, with all players in all teams suddenly having the same accuracy, passing and shooting attributes.

Manual is the best way to play but some people just cant use it to play because they arent good enough or just because its not for them, just because some people use semi or fully assisted doesnt mean that they are are better or worse than a fully manual player

If manual controls were made right, I believe they would be for everyone indeed. But the thing is in FIFA09 it killed individualism, with all players in all teams suddenly having the same accuracy, passing and shooting attributes.

Still not sure about that. If you want to pass at a certain angle but the player passes way off because of poor passing stats how is that fully manual control? I play football games to feel like the real-life players, so I'm happy with the CPU assisting in some way to achieve this. Player stats are brought to life via CPU assists. I think that is just the nature of sports games.

Anyway, the problem with Fifa is that the players have very little individualism (apart from strength and pace) to begin with. It's an inherent problem with the game that manual controls only make worse.

Fantastic Friday?
Looks like the big news is hitting tomorrow, with no press release sent through today. Been scouring the internet and it seems no one is too clued up on the day Konami will release the megaton, so it's a case of sitting and waiting.

Also, no idea if the news will be put back until Gamescom. We'll know if thats the case if it doesn't come tomorrow, although I'm still positive it hits this week.

Stay tuned.

[url]http://welovepes.blogspot.com/2009/08/fantastic-friday.html[/URL]

Adam in misleading information shocker!:SHOCK:

Still not sure about that. If you want to pass at a certain angle but the player passes way off because of poor passing stats how is that fully manual control?.

Well it's "fully manual" in that you are fully capable of choosing where you "want" to pass the ball. The execution of the pass would depend on the player doing the pass in the direction that you want.

It would't be "way off", as you fear. It will just be as realistic as it is in real soccer. Any soccer player, no matter how bad, can still perform basic close range passes with high fidelity and accuracy. Hell I play soccer (ex-semi-professionally), and I can direct a smooth through lob pass to a running attacker in a direction that I want with some accuracy.

But I imagine that with pressure, fatigue and when pinpoint passing to far players positioned between other players, the ball won't go exactly the way I want it... and the same applies for shooting.

Last edited:

No matter if it has super next-gen graphics, no matter if it has ultra-realistic licenses even for the ankle tapes, and no matter whether it has sandbags or not.

For me, the game would be perfect with these additions:

- It finally seems they have managed to sort animations out.. Good news I must say but I won't say a word about that until I see also how GKs react. And well, if motion capture is necessary for fixing also those broken GK animations, I welcome also motion capture

- More freedom of control: if I decide to put the ball there, you cpu HAVE to put it there (at least, near there depending on the player's skills) unless I do something wrong with the controls. I'm tired of those cpu-driven passes that always go nowhere near the place I wanted them to go. They feel broken!!
The new control scheme includes also a new FK system: come on, a power bar should measure how powerful a shot is, not how high it is (and bear in mind it was implemented in ISS98 for N64)!!
Why can't I fire a powerful FK at the bottom corner for example? Using the "circle plus down arrow" thing (like I used to do in PES6) is weird!! Also, I would like to have more control on the wall and be able to move the keeper maybe when I defend against a FK..

- This leads to a better IA (especially when it comes to player running in the empty spaces): if I put a perfect pass but no one is there to reach it, it's useless that you let me play a pass exactly where I want..

- And well, if I'm allowed to make another request, I'd say a deeper edit mode. I'd like to add some lower division teams for example to play ML and BAL against, and they'll have to be as realistic as possible.
I don't ask KONAMI to add lower leagues for the 4 "big" championships, but at least a "blank" list where you can add, let me say, from 1 to 50 teams of your choice being able either to edit kits from the editor or to load them from a png image.

Then, once fixed these key areas of the game (notice I'm not asking for 360° movement at least at this stage) we can concentrate on details such having realistic nets behaviour or good menus or more licenses..

Cant agree more!!!
And people still thinks that northen italians and south italians cant agree on anything lol

Still not sure about that. If you want to pass at a certain angle but the player passes way off because of poor passing stats how is that fully manual control? I play football games to feel like the real-life players, so I'm happy with the CPU assisting in some way to achieve this. Player stats are brought to life via CPU assists. I think that is just the nature of sports games.

Anyway, the problem with Fifa is that the players have very little individualism (apart from strength and pace) to begin with. It's an inherent problem with the game that manual controls only make worse.

You make a good point but, What I like about Manual controls is the ability to put the pass exactly where "I" want it & not where the cpu wants the pass, now I can handle semi-assisted as it is pretty much the medium between Fully assisted (which is mainly for button smasher:that you find online mostly) & Manual, manual does have its draw backs but much more minimal......for example playing Fif 09 on fully asssisted feels like I am playing NBA 09 or any other basketball type game, where the ball always finds the player regardless (not realistic)My brother actually closed his eyes once & made 16 passes in a row without looking at the screen just smashing the buttons???? in semi its good but in manual it actually feels like soccer where sometimes your pass goes behind the guy etc. (Human error) In soccer no goal is scored without the other team commitiing an error such as not picking up a player running through, diving in, letting a shot off etc. mistakes = goals. just my opinion on the matter but like someone said on this thread Manual its not for everyone & fully assisted is not for everyone, but its "NICE" to have the option??????;)Konami hahaha

IBut the thing is in FIFA09 it killed individualism, with all players in all teams suddenly having the same accuracy, passing and shooting attributes.

Oh you really haven't played FIFA09 on manual have you? Saying that shooting attributes doesn't matter is like saying John Terry is better at free kicks than David Beckham.

I agree with your post, they tried it in the past and seabass didn't like it, so they didn't developed it from scratch just now. I was talking about ADDING IT at this moment of development and blending it with mocap info (done in june, as it seems). It seems a bit late to me to test it well enough. I'm not saying it will be a flop, simply put it's a great feature and the impact must be thoroughly balanced.

About being a reaction to Fifa having 360º, it really is, no matter how you look at it. It doesn't make it worse, it ssimply that if they had this planned from the beggining, they would have said something about it in april-may instead of showing that horrible tactics-oriented video. But considering how bad they are at PR, they may as well have it planned and thought it wouldn't be nice for the fans to know about it.

Anyway, the fact that it's late in the development cycle to test 360 degrees of movement is a FACT. That doesn't mean it's going to be bad, worse or better. It simply points out they are having a lot of work and implementing a lot of things.

Personally, I think it's very good news and, as I said, makes me interested again in the game, as Konami are doing the things we expected to be done at least 3 years ago. And as I said earlier, 360 degrees MUST imply 360 passing and shooting in some "manual" way and forget about scripted passing a little, because if not, it will be really odd having the freedom to move at any degree and having the pass go scripted to another degree.

It's a lot of changes, at the beggining I didn't give much credit to the information because of the chain of improvements it implies, but if it's true, then Konami are changing, finally, the fundamentals of the game, and that would be the best news I've heard in years.

Oh, and even if they rush the game, at least they're doing something remarkable.

SPOT ON!!!!:) I totally agree, lets give Konami some credit & hope (I know, I have been dissapointed/outraged too with Konami these past 2 years) but Remember these are not some new kids on the block creating there 1st ever soccer game, these are the people who brought us great soccer games from Pes6 & past, so they have shown us they are capable of doing these type of improvements??!! (Especially with a 200 person staff as could be seen that they are real and not a figment of Seabasses imagination or a lie)
What I think konami has done since the move to Next gen consoles is trying to make improvements on an current gen system script (LAZY LAZY LAZY Seabass:R1)and after many failures they woke up & realized they have to start from scratch! maybe not the AI as much, but especially in Animations (As they have shown that they are doing it), Visual Improvements, Master League etc.
So I as sit & wait with hope, lets see what konami has to offer thi sgo around, in no way will it be the definitive soccer game but at least make as enjoyable & have the over & over playability as Pes6 & prior titles cuz if not then Seabass will have to be looking for a new job soon (Ex: remeber fifa sucked until they fired there old director & brought David Rutter who seems to have his stuff together, execept for AI, still not good enough)

My opinion during th elong wait until gamescon

Oh you really haven't played FIFA09 on manual have you? Saying that shooting attributes doesn't matter is like saying John Terry is better at free kicks than David Beckham.

hahaha John Terry.... totally right though, I play FIFA 09 on fully manual & I can totally notice a difference between Villa & Torres, some people just don't give things a chance or don't like a challenge, but its there loss

I tried it, found it a dull, soulless experience and quickly went back to semi-assisted. For the reasons Jimmy said:

Why can't some people accept that manual controls aren't for everyone and those that use them are in a small minority?
try posting that in the fifa thread and watch rob, tim, jumbo and others slaughter you

Damn The_Knight your posts now are great (really). I remember you in the past bashing the game and acting like an id... but your posts now deserves a lot of respect and add to the discussion...

IS it true that movement can only be controlled with the analogue stick. That is pretty gay, I can't use the analogue stick, I've tried and i can't use it.

Only DPad.

The D-pad feels so antiquated to me.

You've essentially got 4 directions of movement, to move in diagonals you have to mash your thumb into plastic. That doesn't sound too much fun, especially for me as I do tend to mash the buttons something fierce.

It is a bit of a weird issue though, you old fogeys are holding us back. It's like choosing to watch telly in black and white when HD is available.

Hi chaps little old me again sorry too break up the convo again but just found this vid on gaming access 2010 proper gameplay video of j league match.I am not sure what to think really but does anybody think it looks kinda ps2 ish? maybe the quality of the video? what do you think? :THINK: http://www.gamingaccess.com/index.php?news_id=21616 p.s .would be good if they could just for once show these early vids of two decent players playing it properly :LOL:

Looked to play smoothly for ps2 nice one two i thought as well for henrys goal.Also its a friendly not j league as they posted on ga, what with henry and that.

Last edited:

Manual is the best way to play but some people just cant use it to play because they arent good enough or just because its not for them, just because some people use semi or fully assisted doesnt mean that they are are better or worse than a fully manual player

Agreed 100% mate.

Sick of manual players thinking they are above everyone else.

Its only a game ffs.

:OOOH:

Iv played a few matches in manual, and i will admit its better.

its looking like that guy on his brand new site is only using this "exclusive news" to launch that site,a very crude way to get attention

its looking like that guy on his brand new site is only using this "exclusive news" to launch that site,a very crude way to get attention

Yeah that's really bad...but don't worry, if we don't get the news today (he said it would be this week) I think many people will just leave his site.

I'm really fed up with waiting, waiting and waiting, again and again, for a thing that maybe won't come until Gamescom that just one guy said it would hit this week...

But it's konami's fault, the more the time runs, the more I'm getting angry with them for many things, and especially their lack of communication about crucial points such as licensed teams...:RANT:

Yeah that's really bad...but don't worry, if we don't get the news today (he said it would be this week) I think many people will just leave his site.

I'm really fed up with waiting, waiting and waiting, again and again, for a thing that maybe won't come until Gamescom that just one guy said it would hit this week...

But it's konami's fault, the more the time runs, the more I'm getting angry with them for many things, and especially their lack of communication about crucial points such as licensed teams...:RANT:

It's not just one guy

even Mr Tanaka in his last blog post spoke about

Another 'secret' information... There are some surprises which we have implemented following your extremely helpful comments and opinions. With these, the new game will more than meet your expectations. The only downside is that our hours have got very long and I often use a taxi to go home at midnight!

Please explain to me how adding stats will work on manual control
Well it's me that started the conversation about manual passes and shots being subject to player stats, so I'll try explaining better what I thought.

Do you remember the training challenge mode in PES6, when you had to perform long passes that had to drop in a defined area of the pitch to get points? Well, there was a target with 3 different coloured areas. A red one (the inner one), then a yellow one just outside and finally a blue one (the outer one).

Well, imagine you're performing a long pass with Kakà: if you handle the controls right (assuming Kakà has the ball on his right foot and he's not disturbed by an opponent while passing) it will always be in the red circle.
If you perform the exact same pass with, let me say, Molinaro (being the conditions the same: his foot, no pressure, you do it right on the controller) it would sometimes drop in the red circle, and sometimes in the yellow one.
If you play the exact same pass with, let me say again, Kalambay (being again the conditions the same: his foot, no pressure, you do it right on the controller) it would sometimes drop in the red circle, sometimes in the yellow, but often in the blue one.

I'm not saying that the blue circle has to have a radius of 10 metres (that will be excessive) but I guess that if Kakà plays a perfect long ball, Kalambay will likely miss it by 3 metres. Again, it doesn't mean that he will always miss it by 3 metres, it just means that if you play the same pass 10 times with Kalambay, it may be perfect once, quite perfect (<1 metres distant from the centre of the target) 3 times, and in the range of 1 - 3m the remaining 6 times..

Very true, there must be a way to combine both stats and manual controls because this fully 100% control makes players when it comes to passing, crossing and shooting.
A middle ground should be found

Very true, there must be a way to combine both stats and manual controls because this fully 100% control makes players when it comes to passing, crossing and shooting.
A middle ground should be found

Couldn't agree more...

It's, what made PES different, the abilities based on stats, and how they influence gameplay.

For me 360 dribbling, analog control, manual passes and shots based on stats as described above would be a dream..

If they add on the fly strategy control on d-pad, cross media bar style..

It would be a dream come true...

For me it would be enough this year, but I'm not against a properly implemented real time physics engine :I)

I would love it if they supposedly fake list comes true. Specially the ML part :...

Back
Top Bottom