PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

@wildwind it is mostly related to Player Popularity in ML. If you go into Negotiations and select a player, for example John Terry, you will notice he has Player Popularity ‘A’. So i just edit the a player over him maybe Salah and change then change Salah to Terry. It is easier to use the PESeditor though.

@Bond!JamesBond! yep i have completely given up on new PES now. Just reading the retro thread has reminded me of how much soul is missing in the new ones.

I picked this up the other day for 50p from the local charity shop, played 1 games seems good, seems very fast though. also got PES3 for ps2 for 50p too, i have been streaming PES3 on twitch Via emulator (it looks so much better). Couldn't get 2008 to boot via the Emulator though. Need to pick up a memory card and good RGB cable for my PS2 next week.

Look me up on Twitch for vintage PES streams and pes2018 of course, my channel is grayperview, as is my twitter and steam.

@Orhainmalz: Bought PES2008 for the PSP? I don't know if you're aware of this but it has only one stadium available, also the gameplay lags a bit whenever any of the boxes is packed with players (PSP PES5, 6 and 2008 had this, after PES2009 it was fixed).

@Titch i hope you enjoy it as much as me.

@miguelfcp & @Orhainmalz i have been playing the psp version while not having access to my ps and yes it definitely lags when there are a lot of players on screen. It’s not really bad but can be slightly annoying. I prefer the ps version as i find the screen too small and i cannot see the ball :P

I find anything after 2008 lost its ‘soul’ a bit. I was playing 2013 the other day on psp but i found the dribbling a bit easy and players have lost their individuality. Not as many fouls too. It’s best to make your own mind up though Orhainmaiz rather than take my opinion as fact. ;)

One thing i would say about 2008 is that ML can be very frustrating to begin with even on Regular difficulty with the default team. But once your team improves then the game becomes more balanced and the CPU varies its attacks more.

Any of you guys played the ps3 version,if so,what’s your verdict on it?
I’m going backwards as well when it comes to Pes.
Playing 17 as my main game,but I’ve gotten bit by Pes 2011 recently,nice little game,and if 2008 holds its own on PS3 I’m there to.
Been thinking about getting a ps2,but can’t really deal with 4:3 setup

Nice seeing you’re still playing this one @geeeeee

Any of you guys played the ps3 version,if so,what’s your verdict on it?
I’m going backwards as well when it comes to Pes.
Playing 17 as my main game,but I’ve gotten bit by Pes 2011 recently,nice little game,and if 2008 holds its own on PS3 I’m there to.
Been thinking about getting a ps2,but can’t really deal with 4:3 setup

Nice seeing you’re still playing this one @geeeeee
I played the PC ,i don't think it has specific differences from PS3 version, as both were next-gen.
My personal opinion is it was the worst PES of the whole series.Except for the most obvious that it came after PES 6 and failed hard, the goalkeepers got worse with some silly bouncy-animations, the shoot variety got killed really for some reason 90% of the shots go low ,the passing was less stats-based, the footplanting went totally wrong, every minute you have the feeling that your player is sliding on ice and not stepping on grass field.

I don't want to mislead you. You can try for yourself, maybe as a retro trial it will taste better than back at 2007-2008 days. For me PEs 2008 (ps3/pc/xbox360) is persona-non-grata

I played the PC ,i don't think it has specific differences from PS3 version, as both were next-gen.
My personal opinion is it was the worst PES of the whole series.Except for the most obvious that it came after PES 6 and failed hard, the goalkeepers got worse with some silly bouncy-animations, the shoot variety got killed really for some reason 90% of the shots go low ,the passing was less stats-based, the footplanting went totally wrong, every minute you have the feeling that your player is sliding on ice and not stepping on grass field.

I don't want to mislead you. You can try for yourself, maybe as a retro trial it will taste better than back at 2007-2008 days. For me PEs 2008 (ps3/pc/xbox360) is persona-non-grata
Ha ha,thanks mate,one of the few games I've never tried,probably gonna pick it up for €3-4 just to try it out.
Even worse than 2009?
That game is rubbish

Yeah, always personal opinion but 2009 is a really improved 2008. Still broken from issues but better than 2008. I always wondered if there is someone on this earth that liked the 2008 next-gen. If there is, i would like to ask him many questions. :P :)

Hi @rockstrongo good to see you lurking here. I have been reading some of your posts in the 2018 thread and i can feel the frustration. For the first time since the beginning of PES i have no interest in the latest PES game. I read some posts and seen a couple of vids but it does nothing for me. :(

I never played PES2008 on PC, PS3, XBOX. As @slamsoze says i have heard that it was pretty poor. The PS2 version though for me now is better than PES5 and 6. It never used to be but after playing 5 for so long the CPU isnt challenging anymore. And 6 i have never liked.

I actually liked 2009 on PS3. I couldnt get the hang of it to start with but i bought Piggybank (something like that) guide book and it helped so much. I found it so satisfying once i got the hang of it.

I remember one of my first online experiences. I was playing as Tottenham probably against Real Madrid or something. It was 0-0 in injury time and we had a corner. I brought Bentley on and Pavlyuchenko, Bentley took the corner and Pava headed in the winner. Great stuff :)

Hi @rockstrongo good to see you lurking here. I have been reading some of your posts in the 2018 thread and i can feel the frustration. For the first time since the beginning of PES i have no interest in the latest PES game. I read some posts and seen a couple of vids but it does nothing for me. :(

I never played PES2008 on PC, PS3, XBOX. As @slamsoze says i have heard that it was pretty poor. The PS2 version though for me now is better than PES5 and 6. It never used to be but after playing 5 for so long the CPU isnt challenging anymore. And 6 i have never liked.

I actually liked 2009 on PS3. I couldnt get the hang of it to start with but i bought Piggybank (something like that) guide book and it helped so much. I found it so satisfying once i got the hang of it.

I remember one of my first online experiences. I was playing as Tottenham probably against Real Madrid or something. It was 0-0 in injury time and we had a corner. I brought Bentley on and Pavlyuchenko, Bentley took the corner and Pava headed in the winner. Great stuff :)
I'm always in here lurking around:)
Yeah,I'm heading down the same path as you when it comes to games,both FIFA and Pes.
Still enjoying my 17 ML though,18 has been like having a relationship with an abusive spouse,roses one day,the next day you'll get your ass kicked without an explanation.

I played 2009 on Xbox and it was 600 mph,couldn't cope with it.
Almost bought a 360 last week just so I could play Pes 6 again,until I read they made a mess of it on the 360.

I'm gonna give it a go anyways,I'm really liking my 11-12-13 right now,and I need to crack 14 as well,not really liking it,but it's got potential for sure.

Once you've gotten use to the crappier graphics,and in my case replacing my awfully PS3 controller (worst ever?) With a third party controller it's amazing gameplay with these old games.
I'm gonna see if I find it.
Nice hearing from you mate

@rockstrongo: If you're considering buying PES2008 on the PS3, I'd save the money and instead get the PS2 version either through a PC emulator or a PS2 (2nd-handed ones are far far too cheap for the amount of quality playing time you still get). You'll get used to the graphics and 4:3 resolution pretty fast if you stick to it, after a couple of weeks you won't even notice it. It's worth it, @geeeeee was and is absolutely right when he says that this version is the "lost game" of the series.

@rockstrongo: If you're considering buying PES2008 on the PS3, I'd save the money and instead get the PS2 version either through a PC emulator or a PS2 (2nd-handed ones are far far too cheap for the amount of quality playing time you still get). You'll get used to the graphics and 4:3 resolution pretty fast if you stick to it, after a couple of weeks you won't even notice it. It's worth it, @geeeeee was and is absolutely right when he says that this version is the "lost game" of the series.
Yeah I'm strongly leaning towards that mate,propably ending up getting a ps2.
Don't know why I gave that one up,cant even remember where it went!
I'd take your advice as well @miguelfcp
Thanks buddy

@rockstrongo i know why i gave it up initially is because i was so into PES5 and i found PES2008 too fast. But as @miguelfcp says you do get used to it.

What i would say is that i was finding ML with the default team annoying to begin with because it felt scripted and the AI was beating me with constant pressing and similar attacks. But once your players improve and you begin to break down the AI’s attacks then it mixes up its attacks more and you get some excellent games. You begin to realise that the reason your players were making mistakes before is because of their stats not the scripting.

Also there are fouls, there are times when the CPU will just run up and hack you down. It makes me laugh when i am winning and sometimes the CPU player gets the hump and tries to hack you down but misses. That also happens in exhibition mode too.

It takes patience rock but if you persevere hopefully you will enjoy it. If not, then try the earlier editions. The PES retro thread shows that we all like different ones for different reasons. But we are all enjoying the old better than the new ;)

@rockstrongo if you run the game in psx2 emu you can make it 16:9 and the result is a good working placebo .Far better than the 16:9 forced ratio for pes6 pc version .

@rockstrongo i know why i gave it up initially is because i was so into PES5 and i found PES2008 too fast. But as @miguelfcp says you do get used to it.

What i would say is that i was finding ML with the default team annoying to begin with because it felt scripted and the AI was beating me with constant pressing and similar attacks. But once your players improve and you begin to break down the AI’s attacks then it mixes up its attacks more and you get some excellent games. You begin to realise that the reason your players were making mistakes before is because of their stats not the scripting.

Also there are fouls, there are times when the CPU will just run up and hack you down. It makes me laugh when i am winning and sometimes the CPU player gets the hump and tries to hack you down but misses. That also happens in exhibition mode too.

It takes patience rock but if you persevere hopefully you will enjoy it. If not, then try the earlier editions. The PES retro thread shows that we all like different ones for different reasons. But we are all enjoying the old better than the new ;)
I’d been close to buying a ps2 for a long time @geeeeee only thing stopping me is,either they’ve had some issue,faulty controller etc,or the gf looks when I mention a new console or guitar,not exactly her favourite things:)
I’d probably buy one after the summer though.
I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of my ps3 lately,bought it two years ago and found Pes 10-11-12-13-14 for it.

Pes 11 was a game that I’ve started playing right after Pes 6,skipped 8/9/10,and I like it.
Same thing with Pes 12,went from 11 to 13
I must say that Pes 12 has tons of good gameplay and is really fun to play,trying to unlock some GP as we speak so I can start a ML on it (need GP for club players)
A very underrated game imo.

Skipped 14 when it came out to,13-15 for me back then,haven’t really got to grips with it yet though.
Long story short mate,I’d most def end up were you guys are,right now my rebound games are 11 and 12,kinda need those more modern retro games when coming from Pes 17 and 18.
Kinda tough going cold turkey from those and back to really old ones.
But advices from you and @miguelfcp are valued,guess I’ll see in here down the road

I updated 16 world cup teams with PSD stats, so at least you can do a post group stage knock out tournament with these. If anyone's interested I could upload the file.

Here's the file I worked off which was kinda recent, so it actually gave me the incentive to do it - https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2018/02/pes-2008-ps2-option-file-new-season.html

The 16 teams I updated - England, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Poland, Serbia, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil, Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia

Didn't apply any globals. Is there an editor for this where we can pop the file in and apply some quick globals ?

I updated 16 world cup teams with PSD stats, so at least you can do a post group stage knock out tournament with these. If anyone's interested I could upload the file.

Here's the file I worked off which was kinda recent, so it actually gave me the incentive to do it - https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2018/02/pes-2008-ps2-option-file-new-season.html

The 16 teams I updated - England, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Poland, Serbia, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil, Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia

Didn't apply any globals. Is there an editor for this where we can pop the file in and apply some quick globals ?

That’s great @bussinrounds, i’m doing my own OF so i dont really want to distract from it if i’m honest. ;)

Also, here is the link for the editor...http://www.purplehaze.eclipse.co.uk/downloads.html

How do you find the game buss?

I find it reall hard and frustrating on Professional but i think Top Player is more balanced. Havent won against the CPU for ages and its bugging me now.

That’s great @bussinrounds, i’m doing my own OF so i dont really want to distract from it if i’m honest. ;)

Also, here is the link for the editor...http://www.purplehaze.eclipse.co.uk/downloads.html

How do you find the game buss?

I find it reall hard and frustrating on Professional but i think Top Player is more balanced. Havent won against the CPU for ages and its bugging me now.
Thanks for the link. And to be honest, I only played a game or 2 of this but was surprised how much it felt like 5 to me. And it does have the vert cam I like, btw. (probably the last game to have it before they went to that swinging back and forth crap with the newer vert cams)

So going off that, your thumbs up and that pretty recent file I found, I decided to just start editing and I've been hammering out teams and watching WC games since. Now that I'm done editing for now, it's time to start playing though.

Hey.
What's the latest/best editor for this version? I want to mirror it on my server for backup reasons.

I'll also probably link to this thread when I get around to making a wiki article on this version.

@geeeeee what do you think about J League WE 2008 - Club Championship? Have you ever tried it? Since I've been having some J-League nostalgia lately, I downloaded it yesterday.. I saw it has a sixth difficult level locked, but from the few games I played the fifth one feels less challenging than Pes 2008 Top Player so maybe it's just that one "diluted".

@geeeeee what do you think about J League WE 2008 - Club Championship? Have you ever tried it? Since I've been having some J-League nostalgia lately, I downloaded it yesterday.. I saw it has a sixth difficult level locked, but from the few games I played the fifth one feels less challenging than Pes 2008 Top Player so maybe it's just that one "diluted".

I have never played or even heard of it. Is it on PS2 or only PC? Please tell me more.

Back
Top Bottom