PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

I have never played or even heard of it. Is it on PS2 or only PC? Please tell me more.

I'm sure there is a Winning Eleven 2008 pc version too, but unfortunately it's based on the nefarious pc counterpart so it's no use. The version I'm talking about is Ps2 only, I've played it on Pcsx2 indeed. There are included more or less the whole european leagues/teams of Pes 2008, but it is mainly based on the J-League so it has the first and second japanese division and something ridiculous like a total of 60 stadiums (usual ones + Japan I guess). Unfortunately there aren't national teams (unless they are buried somewhere I couldn't find).

Seems practically like the japanese version of Pes 2008 to me, except that as I told you above their top level doesn't seem on par with the european one. I see (at least from the bunch of games I did) weaker goalkeepers and defenses, even if the cpu attack is still formidable. Hopefully the other level would put all things right :) ?

I would be really interested in exploring it more, but all the menus in japanese (even the players name!) are quite a barrier :( .

I'm still trying to find which file contains the 10, and 11th freekick animations , and the celebration animations (for example bebeto's baby) and replace in the pes6 or pes5, and test if works fine

Remember that I have advanced the next Classic Laziale 2.0, with many improvements over the previous version. I'll post it when it's done.
Talking about the stats of the classic laziale, something that has been discussed here, most are taken from pesmitidelcalcio.com,
most are taken from, it´s true that many are very high, specially the 40´s, 50´s, 60´s players, they have a disproportionate level of speed,
otherwise they have to be high since they are supposed to be legends stats at their best level.

does anyone have the Ps2 version of the game (on Pc)? i cannot find it anywhere. i have the pcsx2 emulator but i cannot download option files with that.

does anyone have the Ps2 version of the game (on Pc)? i cannot find it anywhere. i have the pcsx2 emulator but i cannot download option files with that.
I am not sure if i’m honest but i think @mattmid may know :)

PES 2008 on PS2 is the best PES game for PS2! It's improves the version of PES6.

I love reading posts like this. I think that makes about 5 of us that like the game :LOL:

thank you. i used mymc to open the PCSX2 memcard then imported an option files in MAX format from gamefaqs. the file seems ok.

does anyone have an option file from the 2007 season after the fall transfer window with the bundesliga?

Let's be clean ! PES 2008 on PC/Xbox 360/PS3 is one of the worst PES game ever! We talk about PES 2008 on PS2 ;) They are different games.
That's right. It's a such a shame that those versions have really stopped people giving the PS2 version a try. PES 5 and 6 are ok but PES2008 PS2 is far better in my opinion. It's just because of all the patches etc...that are available for those games which makes them more appealing.

I really wish there was a way to patch PES2008 in the same way.

I actually gave PES2014 PS2 a go today. Although it played ok, I just find it more arcadey compared to 2008. I was checking out the edit mode and it was really good to see 6 shades of skin colour rather than the usual 4. And seeing licensed faces for Bale etc... I wish I could use those faces in 2008 :(

That's right. It's a such a shame that those versions have really stopped people giving the PS2 version a try. PES 5 and 6 are ok but PES2008 PS2 is far better in my opinion. It's just because of all the patches etc...that are available for those games which makes them more appealing.

I really wish there was a way to patch PES2008 in the same way.

I actually gave PES2014 PS2 a go today. Although it played ok, I just find it more arcadey compared to 2008. I was checking out the edit mode and it was really good to see 6 shades of skin colour rather than the usual 4. And seeing licensed faces for Bale etc... I wish I could use those faces in 2008 :(
Yes , i have complete Disk Copy of PES 2014 for PS2 (PES 2008 too), the game is... really bad... like you say arcade fest. The running and dribbling animations are awful, the control and tricks mechanic is complete different, more like PES on Wii i think.
If there is any value, it will be a pure collector's game, since it is the last release game for PS2, ever !

Link Update

Last edited:
PES 2008 is also my favourite one.
I've spent hundreds of hours on it back in the days as I only moved to PS3 with PES 2009.

On top of the tweaked gameplay compared to PES 6, the nice extras for me were the community mode (very practical and also fun to see which friends you're always beating, ...) and the "Go to the goal" song. I've recently ordered the 2008 soundtrack from Japan as it's not available in my region iTunes store unfortunately.

What keeps me playing 6 is that it's online mode has been re-activated for the PS2 (see ps2online.com) as well as PES 5 in fact. If you have the English European version of PES 6, you don't even have to patch it or use a cheat code to disable DNAS to play online (just the original game with a different DNS in your network config is sufficient). If you have PES 5 or another version of the 6, it's still quite "easy" with the tool currently available (FreeMCBoot, ...) to just use the needed code to bypass DNAS and access the online feature.

I hope that one day PES 2008 will be back online too.

Last edited:
Btw, I've just ordered a copy of PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship.
Is a translation patch available somewhere and can the regular PES 2008 editor be used for that game too or it requires a specific editor ?

PES 2008 is also my favourite one.
I've spent hundreds of hours on it back in the days as I only moved to PS3 with PES 2009.

On top of the tweaked gameplay compared to PES 6, the nice extras for me were the community mode (very practical and also fun to see which friends you're always beating, ...) and the "Go to the goal" song. I've recently ordered the 2008 soundtrack from Japan as it's not available in my region iTunes store unfortunately.

What keeps me playing 6 is that it's online mode has been re-activated for the PS2 (see ps2online.com) as well as PES 5 in fact. If you have the English European version of PES 6, you don't even have to patch it or use a cheat code to disable DNAS to play online (just the original game with a different DNS in your network config is sufficient). If you have PES 5 or another version of the 6, it's still quite "easy" with the tool currently available (FreeMCBoot, ...) to just use the needed code to bypass DNAS and access the online feature.

I hope that one day PES 2008 will be back online too.
How do you play PES5n6 online? What's this ps2online.com ? As I tried and it's a dead site.

How do you play PES5n6 online? What's this ps2online.com ? As I tried and it's a dead site.

Hello, the site is not dead. I can reach it.
https://ps2online.com/

You should check the list of supported games here.

Then, if the game is playable and in green, you do not need any extra stuff. You just need to set the DNS in your PS2 network configuration.
If the game is yellow, you can't play it online with a "stock" PS2. You have 2 options :
- Be able to launch a game backup (ex. with FreeMCBoot, ...), patch your game and run the patch game or ;
- Be able to use cheat codes (ex. with action replay, FreeMCBoot, ...) and then introduce the cheat code to bypass DNAS.

If your plan is to play PES 6, then if you've the European English release, you'll be happy, the game is flagged as yellow.
You'll then just have to setup the proper DNS (see in the spreadsheet) to access the online feature of the game.

I should also be possible with an emulator.

To play PES 6 online with the PC, it's even easier. You 'just" need to update your hosts file.

I'll soon start a ML in PES 2008.

I'll run it as a kind of Super League.

I've picked all teams from Premier League, Ligue 1, Serie A, Eredivisie and Liga who got qualified for European competitions (Champions League, UEFA Cup or Intertoto) and all teams from "Other League A".

In order to have 4 balanced leagues, I've then formed hats based on their standings in their league and for the hats where there was not enough teams from a single country, I tried to compose them based on their geographical place.

2nd division is composed of the promoted teams from England, France, Italy, Holland and Spain + 2 remaining teams from Other League A.

PES 2008 Ligue des Masters Setup.png

Next phase will be to proceed to the random draw.
For each hat, I'll draw to which League (A, B, C and D) the teams will go as well as their position in their league.
At the end, I'll draw the positions for the 2nd division + the league (A, B, C and D) to which it'll be attached.

@Juventino32 i was about to answer in the morning to your question but i forgot i got to do something quickly not on PC lol.

Well, about my favourite between PES 2008 and PES5, i wouldn't say PES 2008... In fact there's some game where it depends what you're searching. More variety, the best PS2 ball physics, but a bit quick in reaction/agility even if it's not PES 6 level, a different approach to defend but to dribble too more: PES 2008. More solid and defensively more punitive but a very "squared" game without too much surprise i will take PES 5.

That's why if you read my previous post : i purposed J-League 2008, not PES 2008 but both will give you an immersive experience :) Also, as i got to restart to make every created players : i will do it on WE 2008. The difference? You can unlock the 6 stats level difficulty, and i like to play with big teams on league and that level of difficulty instead of always took small clubs or it's too easy.

But i don't think about all of it : i feel it, sometimes i got more fun with one game (also PES 14 PS2 and JL2007CC) than every others versions.

Well if i got to answer : my favourite gameplay PS2 is J.League 2008 CC : like a PES 2008 Final Evolution. Gameplay yes, database i miss Nationals selections... So i want the 3 to be honest. Also one big thing that captive me more than PES 5 that i know since 20 years.

So far, PES 2008 is also my preferred one.
Your comment about PS2 JLWE2008CC made me order one on eBay a couple of days ago. I'm very curious to try it out.
Do you know if there is a translation patch that only translates the menus ?

[EDIT]

I just made the draw for my Master League and here's the result :

Capture.PNG

Tomorrow, I'll setup my ML in game and create the kits, ... for my team.

[EDIT 2]

I've decided to go with AS Mohican.
I've choose the Delle Alpi as Stadium and here're the kits I've created.

Home
MHC_Home.jpg
MHC_Home 2.jpg

Away
MHC_Away.jpg

GK1 (first I wanted to make it GK2 but finally decided to use it as GK1)
MHC_GK1.jpg

GK2
MHC_GK2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

During my ML, I saw that even though I decided to exclude classic players, they appear as "non affiliated" during the first transfer window.

I remember reading about this bug back in the days.

Is the switch inverted ? Ex if I say "I want classic players" they will not appear ? I remember the default option was "classic players on" and I found it strange.

Also, if I start a ML with classic players off, would they appear later (in the next seasons) as I unlock them ?

Thank you for this thread, PES 2008 PS2 is a breath of fresh air after playing PES 5 and 6 for a very long time. I play on PCSX2 nowadays but I had a PS2 twenty years ago. It was when I fell in love with PES, both playing and also editing it. So I decided to do some editing work for PES 2008 as well, the classic old school editing with the editor of the game and Fan Editor. I have many ideas to cover football history in this game so I started some different projects, one of them is about World Cup and Euro history. The first part is a work in progress and covers 1982 until 2000. Stats and formations are done (99.9 %) but most teams still need kits and player appearance editing. I use the great Classic Laziale OF as a base as it has many player faces included in great quality. Stats and tactics come from various sources (Miti, PSD, some OF and patches that I collected, some own creations). Luckily there are the versions of PES Fan Editor with copy stats feature, this saved me a lot of time. I don't know when the whole OF will be finished as it is still a lot of work to do but it is a great journey through football history.

Here is a gameplay video that I recorded, a game between Argentina and England in 1982:

Maradona was the best player of the game with one assist and some other great passes and nice dribblings. I played regular level here, I tried higher levels but it is way too difficult for me. I enjoy learning the game from scratch, especially when defending I still have difficulties, I notice big differences between PES 6 that felt much easier to defend for me, especially since I played it for such a long time. Every game feels different, I already had a wild 3-3 with Brazil against Nigeria 1994, I lost as Argentina vs Brazil 1982 0-3 with all three goals in the last 20 minutes, but also some 0-0 or 0-1 with nearly no scoring chances at all. And I still need to try the stats modifications as suggested by geeeeee.

Hello,

During my ML, I saw that even though I decided to exclude classic players, they appear as "non affiliated" during the first transfer window.

I remember reading about this bug back in the days.

Is the switch inverted ? Ex if I say "I want classic players" they will not appear ? I remember the default option was "classic players on" and I found it strange.

Also, if I start a ML with classic players off, would they appear later (in the next seasons) as I unlock them ?

Answering myself for the 1st question : whatever the choosen setting (yes/no) it always enables the classic players.

No problem.
I'll have to test this now :

Thank you for this thread, PES 2008 PS2 is a breath of fresh air after playing PES 5 and 6 for a very long time. I play on PCSX2 nowadays but I had a PS2 twenty years ago. It was when I fell in love with PES, both playing and also editing it. So I decided to do some editing work for PES 2008 as well, the classic old school editing with the editor of the game and Fan Editor. I have many ideas to cover football history in this game so I started some different projects, one of them is about World Cup and Euro history. The first part is a work in progress and covers 1982 until 2000. Stats and formations are done (99.9 %) but most teams still need kits and player appearance editing. I use the great Classic Laziale OF as a base as it has many player faces included in great quality. Stats and tactics come from various sources (Miti, PSD, some OF and patches that I collected, some own creations). Luckily there are the versions of PES Fan Editor with copy stats feature, this saved me a lot of time. I don't know when the whole OF will be finished as it is still a lot of work to do but it is a great journey through football history.

Here is a gameplay video that I recorded, a game between Argentina and England in 1982:

Maradona was the best player of the game with one assist and some other great passes and nice dribblings. I played regular level here, I tried higher levels but it is way too difficult for me. I enjoy learning the game from scratch, especially when defending I still have difficulties, I notice big differences between PES 6 that felt much easier to defend for me, especially since I played it for such a long time. Every game feels different, I already had a wild 3-3 with Brazil against Nigeria 1994, I lost as Argentina vs Brazil 1982 0-3 with all three goals in the last 20 minutes, but also some 0-0 or 0-1 with nearly no scoring chances at all. And I still need to try the stats modifications as suggested by geeeeee.

Looks amazing, mate!

just in case you're interest i leave attached the official ball for wc 82, you have 2 files in there

españa_82.bin <- texture file
Beach_Ball_ps2.bin <- model file

open 0_text with ggs or dkz and import over the correct files, and just in case you need a small guide, unknown_00000 is the model and 00001 is the texture for one of the balls, this sequence apply to each ball, first model then texture :)

credits to hayate for the texture ball

ps you can find more variations of the ball in here https://mega.nz/folder/L9BUiQhQ#IkNltCtc3nssNtiNYdfisg/folder/GthWQYZC you can replace with ggs

Attachments

• españa_82.rar
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
No problem.
I'll have to test this now :

Sorry I am a bit confused, because they are unlocked regardless of the setting, they will appear anyway. ;)

Looks amazing, mate!

just in case you're interest i leave attached the official ball for wc 82, you have 2 files in there

españa_82.bin <- texture file
Beach_Ball_ps2.bin <- model file

open 0_text with ggs or dkz and import over the correct files, and just in case you need a small guide, unknown_00000 is the model and 00001 is the texture for one of the balls, this sequence apply to each ball, first model then texture :)

credits to hayate for the texture ball

ps you can find more variations of the ball in here https://mega.nz/folder/L9BUiQhQ#IkNltCtc3nssNtiNYdfisg/folder/GthWQYZC you can replace with ggs
Thanks a lot, I will try to finish the OF with the edit mode first and then look if I manage to add these things.

Is there a way to apply the classic kit style with shorter shorts from classic NT to other teams (also clubs) just using the edit mode or PES Fan Editor?

Thanks a lot, I will try to finish the OF with the edit mode first and then look if I manage to add these things.

Is there a way to apply the classic kit style with shorter shorts from classic NT to other teams (also clubs) just using the edit mode or PES Fan Editor?

you mean the kit model right?

i made a tool for editing option file of pes2008 ps2, the same as i did for pes5 with swap teams
here you can download it
https://pes5indie.com/tools/OF_Team_Editor/pes2008ps2/

in this version i added the option to change the kit model, not sure which kit model it is on pes2008 but you can try

1680779607136.png

you can also remove the license from a team ()

you mean the kit model right?

i made a tool for editing option file of pes2008 ps2, the same as i did for pes5 with swap teams
here you can download it
https://pes5indie.com/tools/OF_Team_Editor/pes2008ps2/

in this version i added the option to change the kit model, not sure which kit model it is on pes2008 but you can try

View attachment 210423

you can also remove the license from a team ()
That's great, it is exactly what I mean. I will check kit model of classic NT and try to apply for other teams.

What does license type do exactly? Is it possible to fully edit licensed teams like unlicensed ones? That would be great, too.
Because now I use Fan Editor, load OF2 and overwrite a licensed team with an unlicensed one, to be able to edit the kit of what is a licensed team in the original game. But it has a limit, when I want to give this team another logo I have to do it in Fan Editor because the option to change a logo is disabled in the game editor for these teams, and it is sad we can only add 60 logos in the editor in pes 2008

Back
Top Bottom