PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

They still stuck to the older generation of stats don't they? Attack, defense, balance, stamina, speed etc
When I get my ps2 back I might have a look.

I find anything after 2008 is not as good. The pitch seems not as wide, no midfield battles, no fouls, CPU just passes forward. Most times when you tackle the CPU he gets up and gets the ball back again.

The main problem for me is the CPU being too direct, not passing backwards. It is such a shame as the potential is there with Champions League and Europa League license. There are also more teams in Div 1 and 2. Even writing about it now makes me want to give the newer ones a go again but i have tried numerous times and the gameplay is not good compared to PES2008.

I just played a cup match against Fulham in my ML tester in PES2008 and it was so good. Quite a few goal mouth scrambkes and also a lot of fouls. It finished 4-3 to me (QPR). Interestingly when we played them earlier on in the season we were 3-1 down and came back to draw 3-3. This time they were 3-1 down and pulled it back to 3-3. But then Mitrovic scored the winner for us against his old club.

I love scenarios like that :)

Wow thanks!
I'm going through each version to see which one had the most teams. Great to make contemporary classic OFs too.

I really wish i could import more than 60 emblems into the option file. Because i am including 18 Championship teams and with other teams added it means i have already used 60 slots. This means that i am sacrificing the Bundesliga :(

I could add the Bundesliga but i want to keep real emblems to add to the realism. The only German team is Bayern Munich :(

So they added more teams but you could create less emblems? :THINK:
It's a shame 2008 on PC didn't use the old engine. Would have been great for editors!

So they added more teams but you could create less emblems? :THINK:
It's a shame 2008 on PC didn't use the old engine. Would have been great for editors!

Yeh its a bit stupid really. I know that in PESeditor you can use lower quality emblems and that increases the amount you can use. I may try that if they still look ok in the game.

Heh, i thought i would use 16 bit emblems instead of 128 bit ones. But i noticed i am already using 16bit. That means with 128bit emblems you can import 30, with 16bit ones you can import 60. In PES5 it was 100.

That’s annoying. I may have to sacrifice 4 Championship teams for 4 German teams. :(

I prefer to keep all Championship with Bayern only.
or
Would you create 2 version, one have all Championship, other have 4 german team?

Hey geeeeee. Long time no talk man !

See you're liking 2008 for PS2 now. Don't think I've ever tried that one. Are there any updated squads for it available ?
With the WC coming up, I was wondering if there was any updated option files for PES5, but I've seen you've moved on to 2008 because 5 got too easy for you. (I'm not as good, so I've never had that problem with 5...anything from 3* up gave me a challenge)

I prefer to keep all Championship with Bayern only.
or
Would you create 2 version, one have all Championship, other have 4 german team?

I also want to have teams like Shalke and Dortmund, and Shakhtar as they got through the CL group stage.

I have 2 options, i can either add 3 German teams plus Shakhtar. Which means removing 4 Championship teams which would leave the top 14 in that league.

Or, i could give all Championship teams the same Emblem (probably the Championship one). Then i could keep them but that will take away from the realism.

I wont be doing 2 option files as it takes more time.

Hey geeeeee. Long time no talk man !

See you're liking 2008 for PS2 now. Don't think I've ever tried that one. Are there any updated squads for it available ?
With the WC coming up, I was wondering if there was any updated option files for PES5, but I've seen you've moved on to 2008 because 5 got too easy for you. (I'm not as good, so I've never had that problem with 5...anything from 3* up gave me a challenge)

Hi bussin! Hope you are well. Heh you must have done a lot of forum reading to catch up. :)

Yep for me it’s PES2008 PS2 version which is the best now. I am updating my option file but it won’t be ready until probably the end of the year. It will include updated National squads but it may be too late for you to enjoy playing it along with watching the ‘real’ World Cup.

I wil upload an incomplete version of the OF soon as some have requested it.

Good to see you back :)

I suggest Top Championship teams are using their own emblems. The last 4 teams (replaced by 3 german & Shakhtar) use same Championship emblems

Never edited PES2008 so I don't know if you can, but can't you add them in the bin files (535,536 from earlier pes's) and put them in the relevant kitserver/dat folder?

Never edited PES2008 so I don't know if you can, but can't you add them in the bin files (535,536 from earlier pes's) and put them in the relevant kitserver/dat folder?

Thanks matt. I think on pc you can but this is for the PS2. :)

I suggest Top Championship teams are using their own emblems. The last 4 teams (replaced by 3 german & Shakhtar) use same Championship emblems

Yeh i think i will go with this. It will also depend on who gets promoted and relegated from the French, Italian leagues etc....

If a team with a default emblem gets relegated and a team that needs an imported emblem gets promoted then that will cause the numbers to change.

Yo @geeeeee i'm checking this topic constantly. Despite i know that every PES in PS2 in 2008~2014 is a PES6 with tweaks up or down, i was avoiding to check the PES2008/ps2, cause i still have the big psychological trauma that the PC and PS3 versions caused to me, to be significant PC/PS3 was my biggest disappointment in my video-gaming history. Even only re-watching the main menu UI awakes bad memories inside me. Despite all these i replayed today PES 2008/ps2 and it is really very good quality game. Nice mechanics i think they have implemented a little bit R2 close dribbling to the main L stick movement without pushing R2 at random moments.I would stick with the default OF since i don't have time for further editing and i'll just make some transfer to create some nice mixed original teams, like making ARSENAL great again by moving Henry back, or taking Arshavin etc. I would like to ask you since i trust your opinion. Are you pretty sure that next versions have gotten worse? Cause i was wondering to search for a PES 2014 the last pes for ps2.

Yo @geeeeee i'm checking this topic constantly. Despite i know that every PES in PS2 in 2008~2014 is a PES6 with tweaks up or down, i was avoiding to check the PES2008/ps2, cause i still have the big psychological trauma that the PC and PS3 versions caused to me, to be significant PC/PS3 was my biggest disappointment in my video-gaming history. Even only re-watching the main menu UI awakes bad memories inside me. Despite all these i replayed today PES 2008/ps2 and it is really very good quality game. Nice mechanics i think they have implemented a little bit R2 close dribbling to the main L stick movement without pushing R2 at random moments.I would stick with the default OF since i don't have time for further editing and i'll just make some transfer to create some nice mixed original teams, like making ARSENAL great again by moving Henry back, or taking Arshavin etc. I would like to ask you since i trust your opinion. Are you pretty sure that next versions have gotten worse? Cause i was wondering to search for a PES 2014 the last pes for ps2.

Hi slamsoze, heh heh yes i heard that PES2008 on pc and ps3 was bad. I never played it on that format thankfully. But yes the ps2 version is excellent. I think that it is too fast though so i make some edits to slow it down.

Regarding later PES’, for me personally i did not like them. As i find that the CPU is one dimentional as it mostly dribbles and just passes forward all the time. Also, it seems that when the difficulty is increased, when you slide tackle the cpu he mostly gets back up and gets the ball back before you. There are also a lack of fouls which is a big no no for me. One last thing is that the pitch seems narrow and long compared to older PES’.

It is a shame because the newer ones have the Champions League and Europa league license. Also the ML is more realistic because there are more teams and you cannot see other players stats until you have scouted them.

I tried many times to get into 2009-2013 on PS2 but i couldnt even with stat adjustments. But don’t take my word for it. If you read the ‘retro pes corner’ thread you will see that some still play and enjoy the newer ones. It is best to try for yourself if you can get it cheap.

I have sent you a private message regarding my unfinished option file.

I dug out my pes2008 cd (PC version) the other day to give it another try after reading this thread having not installed it in years. Unfortunately my feelings with it were exactly as they were at the time. A huge disappointment. I wonder why it was so bad on the pc but totally different on the PS2? I remember getting it after enjoying 5 and 6 so much and being completely deflated and going back to 6 within a couple of weeks. I was hoping time would have made me look at it differently and find something I hadn't found in it before but sadly not.

I dug out my pes2008 cd (PC version) the other day to give it another try after reading this thread having not installed it in years. Unfortunately my feelings with it were exactly as they were at the time. A huge disappointment. I wonder why it was so bad on the pc but totally different on the PS2? I remember getting it after enjoying 5 and 6 so much and being completely deflated and going back to 6 within a couple of weeks. I was hoping time would have made me look at it differently and find something I hadn't found in it before but sadly not.

I never played the PC or the PS3 version. But the PS2 version imo is the best one. That is why i always stress that it is PES2008 PS2 that i play because i dont want anyone to think it is the other versions. I believe that if the PC version was as good as the PS2 one then it would have had a bigger following than PES6 with the kitserver etc...

Yeah if only things had progressed from there rather than regressed imagine how good the game could be by now. I think it's come on massively in superficial ways, graphics, realism etc but backwards in the most important part, the gameplay and essentially the only part that really matters. Actually having played 2017 (not bad to be far but still nowhere as good as the retro's) the menu's were also appallingly set up and cumbersome and I think 2008 started that road. Setting up a custom cup or league is a nightmare of going backwards and forwards.

Speaking of settings up custom competitions the biggest revolution of retro games after pes 6 in ps2 , was the offline community mode. Loved it like crazy back at the days.Keeping track of couch tournaments,friendly matches ,local leagues etc.

But yes the ps2 version is excellent. I think that it is too fast though so i make some edits to slow it down.
What global edits did you make, btw ?

The only games I remember playing on PS2 after 5 was 6 and WE 10 and we didn't like them nearly as much because it was too easy to dribble through players & create chances on goal. (we mainly played human vs human back then)

Didn't like the way any of the PS3 ones felt that I've tried and they didn't even have the camera I like to play with anymore either.

Does 2008 have the vertical long camera angle ?

@bussinrounds sorry for the delayed reply. The adjustments i made are...

Stamina +5
Top Speed -15
Acceleration -15
Dribble Speed -15
Short Pass Speed -10
Long Pass Speed -10
Header +5

And yes it does have the vertical camera. But not sure if it is the long camera as it only has one setting.

Remember it’s the PS2 version.

Also i am very happy because i managed to find out how to give players higher salary in ML.

So in my option file not only are Messi and Ronaldo top of the salary chart but also Bale, Neymar, Salah, De Bryne, Hazard, Kane etc...

Hopefully i will get it complete just after the new season starts. I’m really looking forward to starting a realistic ML :)

Geeeee, i'm given 2008 a test run tonight. So far i like, from best to less 5,6,3. Old PES is much better than new.... I can't even get into 2018 at all....

Back
Top Bottom