PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

This game is still way too easy compared to PES 3. I love the attack variety though but still a bit predictable. If they are attempting a long shot, put your body on the line by sliding in. If they are passing around, cut their passing line. And then when you intercept the ball, pass to your striker and then pass to your winger, go to the wide, cutback, pass to the unmarked striker and hit shoot.

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I'm discovering more and more interesting things in pes 3, like the defenders actually coming into the box for corners (why did they remove that after, konami logic !!!), the ability to edit salary, all the new settings for the ML, etc...

This game is still way too easy compared to PES 3. I love the attack variety though but still a bit predictable. If they are attempting a long shot, put your body on the line by sliding in. If they are passing around, cut their passing line. And then when you intercept the ball, pass to your striker and then pass to your winger, go to the wide, cutback, pass to the unmarked striker and hit shoot.

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I'm discovering more and more interesting things in pes 3, like the defenders actually coming into the box for corners (why did they remove that after, konami logic !!!), the ability to edit salary, all the new settings for the ML, etc...

I think this is a case of ‘we all play differently’. So our experiences are different.

At the moment i have dropped down to Prof because i was finding it too difficult on Top Player.

Its strange because I dont experience the high scoring games and poor GK’s. And i dont find the AI predictable, only when they do the ‘middle dribble’.

Maybe it’s because i am playing with Championship teams so they are very average.

Haven't even used Messi yet so not experienced the easy dribbling. And if i do begin to find it easier i will just edit Dribble Accuracy and Ability like i did with PES5 ;)

Just out of interest @fmicablues7, did you manage to find out if the CPU changes the starting line up in PES3? If so, that’s good. But if not, that would be a game breaker right there. And another example of Konami always putting one step forward and two steps back. :(

The CPU does change his starting lineup in ML. Otherwise, they keep the same lineup. I don't mind, because i mostly play ML. Even in league/cup, i don't find it annoying anymore, the cpu auto lineup could lead to really stupid lineup in pes 5/6/2008 anyway and could break tactics.

I just finished editing Southampton and used @Chenghis.Khan 4-3-3 formation with 2 SS and 1 CF.

I tested them by playing as Man City (with Chenghis formation) against them. On Top Player with 15 mins game on full span wide camera and it was excellent.

Southampton won 0-1 (maybe unrealistic scoreline) but it was so tough.
Stats were...

Man City first.

Shots 9 (3 on target) - 10 (6)
Free Kicks 1 -2
Corners 2 - 5
Possession 43 - 57

What was the most impressive thing is that Southampton did not do the ‘middle dribble’ once through out the game. They mixed it up a lot.

One thing that i make sure i do is always use my team’s default formation. I know for me i can easily use 4-3-3 with wide wingers and try to exploit the opposite side. But i would leave that for ML when controlling my own team. But using Man City with their default formation made it such a challenge and more realistc in my opinion.

Sorry @fmicablues7, i know you have mentioned it from the start, but i am really not getting these high scoring games or those keeper flaps. Some games are exciting and some are really boring just like PES (footy) should be. It must be the way that we play differently along with @Topaz too as i find it difficult to break down the opposite teams and i dont find the game easy. But it could be that, as i said, i use the team’s default formation to experiment a bit. :)

I just finished editing Southampton and used @Chenghis.Khan 4-3-3 formation with 2 SS and 1 CF.

I tested them by playing as Man City (with Chenghis formation) against them. On Top Player with 15 mins game on full span wide camera and it was excellent.

Southampton won 0-1 (maybe unrealistic scoreline) but it was so tough.
Stats were...

Man City first.

Shots 9 (3 on target) - 10 (6)
Free Kicks 1 -2
Corners 2 - 5
Possession 43 - 57

What was the most impressive thing is that Southampton did not do the ‘middle dribble’ once through out the game. They mixed it up a lot.

One thing that i make sure i do is always use my team’s default formation. I know for me i can easily use 4-3-3 with wide wingers and try to exploit the opposite side. But i would leave that for ML when controlling my own team. But using Man City with their default formation made it such a challenge and more realistc in my opinion.

Sorry @fmicablues7, i know you have mentioned it from the start, but i am really not getting these high scoring games or those keeper flaps. Some games are exciting and some are really boring just like PES (footy) should be. It must be the way that we play differently along with @Topaz too as i find it difficult to break down the opposite teams and i dont find the game easy. But it could be that, as i said, i use the team’s default formation to experiment a bit. :)

Like you said earlier, it might be a case of "we all play differently".
If we take the exemple of pes 5 vs pes 6. You find pes 5 more difficult and i find pes 6 more difficult. I almost never concede on pes 5, and thus i feel it is too easy, in the same time i score maybe more goals on pes 6, but i actually feel cpu can attack well, and it feels to me more difficult. But for you it is different.

I mean in general there are other players which prefer pes 2018 or fifa 18 or other footie title, fair enough to them, i can't say they're wrong, because everyone look for something different in football games, it might be difficulty, fun, stats, realism, tactics, graphics, editing, etc... In the end, we should play the one we enjoy the most.

I played a few games with PES3 and, I don't know man..
Everything is clunky, but also kinda smooth if that makes sense.
It runs much better than 2008 on emulator and it's harder to keep the ball away from defenders, which is good.
Difficulty is really high right now for me. I guess a lot of that comes from team tactics being set up horribly so far. In PES5 and on they went overboard on attacking arrows and everybody had them but in PES3 they haven't given any in the teams I've tried and there's hardly any good movement off the ball. Teammates also seem a bit stupid in terms of recognizing when I've drawn their defender to me and they should make a run into the thus opened space, especially SBs.

The one thing that might be game breaking for me is passing. Passing aim is horrible, as it quite often goes to the wrong player. Players also play wrong passes and refuse to play some passes that are easy to execute in later titles. And you can't perform long ground passes WTF?! :CURSE: I hold down X and only ever get short passes to the nearest player. It's going to get better when I get used to the game, but I don't know if I can play without this.

Defenders are also interception gods, I can't handle passing at all. Will try some more games.

And you can't perform long ground passes WTF?! :CURSE: I hold down X and only ever get short passes to the nearest player. It's going to get better when I get used to the game, but I don't know if I can play without this.

Yeah, the long ground pass thing is annoying (they introduced that in PES 4) but you can do it with manual passing.

I played a few games with PES3 and, I don't know man..
Everything is clunky, but also kinda smooth if that makes sense.
It runs much better than 2008 on emulator and it's harder to keep the ball away from defenders, which is good.
Difficulty is really high right now for me. I guess a lot of that comes from team tactics being set up horribly so far. In PES5 and on they went overboard on attacking arrows and everybody had them but in PES3 they haven't given any in the teams I've tried and there's hardly any good movement off the ball. Teammates also seem a bit stupid in terms of recognizing when I've drawn their defender to me and they should make a run into the thus opened space, especially SBs.

The one thing that might be game breaking for me is passing. Passing aim is horrible, as it quite often goes to the wrong player. Players also play wrong passes and refuse to play some passes that are easy to execute in later titles. And you can't perform long ground passes WTF?! :CURSE: I hold down X and only ever get short passes to the nearest player. It's going to get better when I get used to the game, but I don't know if I can play without this.

Defenders are also interception gods, I can't handle passing at all. Will try some more games.

Pes 3 animations can be really clunky sometimes, but as you said the game flows smoothly in the same time. Passing is less pick-up-and-play than pes 5/6/2008, it was also really frustrating for me at the beginning, but now i'm kinda accustomed to it. Possession tactic is less rewarding than in pes 5/6/2008. Maybe you're right about the long grounded passes, i didn't notice it myself though. About the stupid runs from teammates, you should take it with a pinch of salt, because default stats for the players are horribly done in pes 3. With PSD stats it should work a lot better.

I played a few games today on pes 2008 and i enjoy it again. I haven't play it since 3 weeks though, been busy playing pes 3/4/5/6/2010/2011/2013. Are you still playing your championship, geeee ?

Heh heh my problem is i keep going from one game to the next. I was away for a couple of weeks and was seriously considering starting a new ML with PES2017.

I played a game on 2017 which was ok then played a game on 2018 which i didnt like because ping pongy passing. And then this morning i saw @goalgerd slider settings for FIFA18. He said it was for old school PES fans so I gave it a go today and i had a fantastic match.

I havent given up on PES2008 as i will continue to edit it because i play it with my brother. I think people like you and me will continue to be playing the old games and going from different ones, maybe new ones, backwards and forwards trying to find the perfect game.

Old PES does lack so much regarding ML but gameplay is still good. Against my brother it is the best game. But havent continued my Championship League, maybe if i get fed up with FIFA again ;)

Wow, CPU AI in 2008 is full of surprises. I was under no pressure and suddenly the guy smashes an unstoppable Zlatan style overhead bicycle kick into the top corner out of absolutely nothing from outside the penalty area lol. Loving the unpredictability and challenge. Still prefer the overall balance of we9le but this is definitely shaping up to be my second favorite PES. It's easily better than 6. Been playing 4 a lot recently too, really good game also.

Wow, CPU AI in 2008 is full of surprises. I was under no pressure and suddenly the guy smashes an unstoppable Zlatan style overhead bicycle kick into the top corner out of absolutely nothing from outside the penalty area lol. Loving the unpredictability and challenge. Still prefer the overall balance of we9le but this is definitely shaping up to be my second favorite PES. It's easily better than 6. Been playing 4 a lot recently too, really good game also.

I wish pes5/we9/we9le had the offensive ai from pes 2008. Clean sheets are too easy in these games.

I wish pes5/we9/we9le had the offensive ai from pes 2008. Clean sheets are too easy in these games.
Yeah I know, that would be bordering on perfection. It's probably best in 2 player mode. It's a shame because the defensive aspect is brilliant in those games. It's one of the toughest games to score in and I love the challenge of breaking them down, but they seem to run out of ideas when they get into the final third. Funnily enough I got hammered 4-0 in the cup yesterday after keeping 5 clean sheets in the league. They can play offensive sometimes, just not enough, even on 6 stars. Still love the realistic flow and mechanics of those games though.

Last edited:
PES 2010 is also really worth trying for those who like stats-centric approach from ps2 era. Yes, the animations are bad, but the individuality is outstanding and team individuality (tactics sliders) is better than ps2 era pes. Really enjoying right now with smoke patch.

Yeah, Pes5/WE9 with a good offensive AI would be incredible to only think about. I wonder if somebody ever tried to heavy edit tactics or single players playstyles to see if something better could be done. I'm almost tempted to give it a shot myself..

PES 2010 is also really worth trying for those who like stats-centric approach from ps2 era. Yes, the animations are bad, but the individuality is outstanding and team individuality (tactics sliders) is better than ps2 era pes. Really enjoying right now with smoke patch.

Yes, I also agree. I remember, back at the times, making myself an enormous overslow on Pes 2010 with a global editor and the response was truly amazing, a game with a slow pace that felt really realistic.. I could't explore it as much as it would have deserved, because only a little time later Pes 2011 came out and that's one of the Pes I fell in love the most.. but all this whole discussion in making me want to delve into retrogaming..

Been playing PES 4 in the last few days I can't remember playing it on release back in 2004 I was a huge PES 3 fan back then I might have skipped it and waited till 5

So far im pretty impressed its a bit fast but it actually reminds me a lot of PS2 PES 2008 I might start a ML on it soon. What are peoples impressions of 4 on here? any annoyances you noticed? it rarely gets mentioned when people discuss the classics

Been playing PES 4 in the last few days I can't remember playing it on release back in 2004 I was a huge PES 3 fan back then I might have skipped it and waited till 5

So far im pretty impressed its a bit fast but it actually reminds me a lot of PS2 PES 2008 I might start a ML on it soon. What are peoples impressions of 4 on here? any annoyances you noticed? it rarely gets mentioned when people discuss the classics

I actually played it a bit last week and it felt a bit more arcadey, fast-paced than pes 5 but more difficult than pes 6.

Btw, on which plateform did you play pes4 ? I'm looking for a tool or something on pc to be able to play fullscreen, any ideas ?

wasnt PES 4 or 3 which had OP headers? I remember having a corner was like oh okay thats a goal.

Hm haven't noticed OP headers yet but still only played around 20 or so games so still discovering its issues if there are any

I actually played it a bit last week and it felt a bit more arcadey, fast-paced than pes 5 but more difficult than pes 6.

Btw, on which plateform did you play pes4 ? I'm looking for a tool or something on pc to be able to play fullscreen, any ideas ?

Im playing on PC I have it running fullscreen without any need for extra tool should run fullscreen using the settings? I am looking for a tool to up the resolution though make graphics look nicer if it exists

I rate 4 a lot. Definitely one of the more underrated ones. Off the ball movement is good and a step up from 3, CPU attacking AI is slightly more aggressive and unpredictable than 5 and I find it tougher and more realistic than 6. I personally don't find it too fast, especially compared to 2008 default speed. Playing with wrong aspect ratio can make it too fast so make sure you fix that. Overall it's very well balanced. Only slight downside for me is the shooting can occasionally be a little weak, but it's not a deal breaker.

There's currently no internal resolution tool to up the graphics. There's also no tool to force a specific fullscreen width and height so you can't max it past 1280/768. There's just a basic kitserver with speed adjustment and aspect ratio fix (just divide your monitor resolution to get it perfect). Better than nothing though. I've also been looking for a camera zoom tool but pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Here's the kitserver if anyone needs it. Kitserver 4 can be a little buggy so you sometimes have to remove and reattach before starting the game if game doesn't start up. If anyone has any extra tools, feel free to share.

https://files.fm/u/54fjbv89

Last edited:
I rate 4 a lot. Definitely one of the more underrated ones. Off the ball movement is good and a step up from 3, CPU AI is slightly more aggressive and unpredictable than 5 and I find it tougher and more realistic than 6. I personally don't find it too fast, especially compared to 2008 default speed. Playing with wrong aspect ratio can make it too fast so make sure you fix that. Overall it's very well balanced. Only slight downside for me is the shooting can occasionally be a little weak, but it's not a deal breaker.

There's currently no internal resolution tool to up the graphics. There's also no tool to force a specific fullscreen width and height so you can't max it past 1280/768. There's just a basic kitserver with speed adjustment and aspect ratio fix (just divide your monitor resolution to get it perfect). Better than nothing though. I've also been looking for a camera zoom tool but pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Here's the kitserver if anyone needs it. Kitserver 4 can be a little buggy so you sometimes have to remove and reattach before starting the game if game doesn't start up. If anyone has any extra tools, feel free to share.

https://files.fm/u/54fjbv89

thank you much appreciated its a shame about the resolution I mean it doesnt look terrible I just would prefer it to be a bit more clearer with a higher res agree about the shooting though and that doesnt bother me after coming from pes 2017/18 with it rocket shots its a nice change

EDIT - I found a resolution fix but the link is no longer valid :( its from pesserbia

Evo ako nekom treba (@darcoolio) .exe fajl, verzija 1.10 sa internal resolution fix-om (by kingsley813) i aplikovanim LOD-om preko lod mixera na maksimumu.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4iie90ifzowh5gm/PES4.rar

Last edited:
This is a fix for internal resolution, which is not the same. You can find a link for it though in kingsley's thread in pes 6 editing section.

I just checked on kingsley's thread, the link for pes 4 is not on his initial post, but is at page 19, but i saw that it was removed from mediafire. I still have the file so i'll upload it if you want.

I didn't know about this resolution fix for 4. What's the difference between this and his internal resolution tool for 5/6?

Back
Top Bottom