PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

Cool :D Doubt I will be getting the PC version, but its tempting for the patches and crap.

That's the one thing that bugs me about consoles you can't change anything.

The PC version looks better than the PS3 and XBOX if you've a decent system.

Check out that video. PES 2008 looks like it uses 1% of the PS3's power. How many people have bought a PS3 for PES 2008!? Poor buggers. :(

That is my MAJOR complaint. i HAD a PS# but once i saw the poor quality konami put out I got rid of my PS3 simple. I could get the same thing on the 360 and have less clutter in the lounge.

Are there any rumors that the final version of PES2008 will be slower because at the moment it's way too fast to be realistic. I have a feeling that the PS2 version of PES2008 will be the best soccer game of the year but for next-gen FIFA is way better.

Last edited:
If PES 2008 has been slowed to FIFA 08 speed, I might take a look. But playing the PES demo was horrible, FAR FAR too fast.

We all know that, just waiting for full game and for the first time this year im looking really forward to the release, as it looks slower and more like the PES gameplay I love :D

Wolf, there are suggestions (and WENB have said) that the final build is indeed slower. Apparently though the PS3 version is slower than the 360 version...

I hope so. Maybe by the time we get the full game here (Spring 2008) they will have slowed it down!

I'm expecting the PS2 version to be just about right though and thankfully I kept hold of my PS2 so I'll still be playing plenty of PES2008, just not the 360 version if the final build is a supersonic as the demo.

Well the AI may 'cheat' but player vs player, a player can definatelyoutsprint another, I was playing one, and I let vassel go by accident and he flew :( Luckily I brang the keeper out on a hard touch and slid him and got the ball won 3-0 :D As usual, I am neighbourhood champ haha!

I can outsprint the AI aswell though, so maybe I can counter cheat the AI! :D

PES gameplay? No thank you, arcade games might be fine for some people but not for me, and after I've shelled out the money for a next gen console I want my games to look and sound next gen, that's not PES either.

But then FIFA has lag issues and also your players DONT control the ball very well and take AGGGESSSSSSSS to get it under there control.. by that time your about to take a shot and the CPU takes the ball off you with an amazing tackle... happens EVERY time. Then at the other end the CPU can turn on a sixpence and go past you easily!

FIFA looks like football. PES feels like football.

Well said, that sums it up for me, too.

I still like playing FIFA08 (at least until PES2008 releases), but somehow the "feeling" is missing.

First I've though it's because I have to learn the controls and the game mechanics. After playing more game (on-/offline) I still have the same problems:
- one touch is not working well
- shooting is not satisfying
- 1-on-1 situations are almost impossible to master (vs defenders and goalies)
- behaviour of CPU controlled team mates is dumb (no running into open spaces, standing/walking on their positions only, hiding behind opponents when receiving a pass)
- 90% of my scored goals are unsatisfiying: results of faults, accidents
- too much play in the midfield: nice passing game, but the box is crowded all the time, shoots get blocked. No real "counter attacking" possible
- there are no noticeable differences for different players/teams/tactics

On the other hand FIFA "looks" real. That's why I still prefer it to the PES2008 demo.

Don't get me wrong: FIFA07 was (almost) unplayable -> referee, keepers, AI & physics, but it has been fixed in 08. So EA really develops into the right direction. If EA spends even more time into ironing out the points mentioned above, it will be the perfect game.

But at the moment it seems PES still has more "feeling". I cannot rate PES, as it's not even out yet, but FIFA's a solid 8/10 for me. PES will be in the same area, as there are other downsides.

I think I'll end up playing PES, as it's (still) more my way to play.

Well said, that sums it up for me, too.

I still like playing FIFA08 (at least until PES2008 releases), but somehow the "feeling" is missing.

First I've though it's because I have to learn the controls and the game mechanics. After playing more game (on-/offline) I still have the same problems:
- one touch is not working well
- shooting is not satisfying
- 1-on-1 situations are almost impossible to master (vs defenders and goalies)
- behaviour of CPU controlled team mates is dumb (no running into open spaces, standing/walking on their positions only, hiding behind opponents when receiving a pass)
- 90% of my scored goals are unsatisfiying: results of faults, accidents
- too much play in the midfield: nice passing game, but the box is crowded all the time, shoots get blocked. No real "counter attacking" possible
- there are no noticeable differences for different players/teams/tactics

On the other hand FIFA "looks" real. That's why I still prefer it to the PES2008 demo.

Don't get me wrong: FIFA07 was (almost) unplayable -> referee, keepers, AI & physics, but it has been fixed in 08. So EA really develops into the right direction. If EA spends even more time into ironing out the points mentioned above, it will be the perfect game.

But at the moment it seems PES still has more "feeling". I cannot rate PES, as it's not even out yet, but FIFA's a solid 8/10 for me. PES will be in the same area, as there are other downsides.

I think I'll end up playing PES, as it's (still) more my way to play.

A lot of those points are right. They could be fixed easily by EA though, it's just a shame the play-testers didn't notice these (HOW didn't they? Odd) and fix them before retail.

Snoop, I don't think that those points can be ironed out easily. This ain't just bugs, but an (still) unbalanced gameplay engine.
A lot of know how and passion (that's where's Konami still in front) is needed, to push the game to higher levels.

Unfortunally Joe Booth just left the team, because a strong genius/nerd is needed for a long term develpoment plan.

Seabass just follows his vision of football. The "real (western) football world" is not part of this. It would be easy to locate the WE J-League series to the European/American market, but he just didn't.

There are all international top stars with great appearances in the game, but the leagues and teams are missing. A japanese gamer seems to be happy to have a game with all the "famous" players to play with in a fantasy league...

Missing/expensive licenses are no excuse here. It's general knowledge that PES has a great editing community. They could give us the structures and tools needed and all would be fine. So they could turn their weakest point into the strongest:
- why release a crippled edit mode ? Let us import as many layers as wanted. Or even better: just let us import kits as with Juce's Kitserver
- give us more leagues. Why just some Swedish teams, not the whole league ? What about the second divisions ?

The thing with PES is ... well what's improved in the time they've spent developing PES 2008? And in between other versions? They have a lot of time in their hands and other companies can do a LOT in the time Konami had with PES 2008. Yet it doesn't feel like the huge improvement it should be.

Jeblo, you're right about edit mode and leagues. How hard can it be to add a FULL edit mode? And not adding leagues and teams is sloppy and lazy. The designers would need to add a few kits extra, a few faces. Research on a few more players (which wouldn't be hard if they reached out to the community like EA did) and there you go. It's not hard.

Or just give us loads of edit slots and let us create what we want.

I've alway been a huge PES fan , I have been playing both PES and Fifa Demos on the xbox 360 and find myself always coming back to the Fifa demo.

I havent played a Fifa game in years, because they have always been awful.
This years fifa demo has taken me by surprise, the build up play is great and it does feel like a real game of football.

Pro evo is still fun to play , but it no longer feels like a simulation after playing fifa. It seems like these two games have swapped places, each becoming the other game.

Granted i have only played the demos, but Fifa has at last become a contender to the closest thing to playing football without kicking a ball since Emile Heskey.

(posted in FIFA thread too, but quite PES comparative, so:
Mini-Review:

Finally have played enough FIFA to give a real ‘review’ of it. Should preface by saying I’ve loved PES right up til this time last year, when my excitement at purchasing PES6 lasted til 30 seconds after it installed, when I realised it’s still the same. To be honest I’ve probably just over-dosed on PES, and know every little annoyance, and therefore get that little bit more annoyed when no at Konami thinks to fix it. This is also my first FIFA since 98, which was awesome.

The good:

Presentation: Really good. Yippee, it’s nice but who cares really.

Sound: This does matter to me. Scored a goal with Tevez and the crowd chanted Argentina. Score the equaliser away from home at the stadium goes silent. Real chants, real atmosphere, makes a huge difference, is just more ‘next-gen’.

Commentary: Absolutely astounding. Coming from PES I had no idea that they could do such a system, saying things like Carrick has won over fans since his transfer, or describing the history of Fergie wanting to knock Pool off their perch might get old after a while, but it’s simply in another league from PES.

Graphics: Like Monet – from a distance it’s wonderful, up close, not so much. Which is fine with me, I could care less what replays look like.

Manager Mode: There’s so much to do! I love the upgrade system (tip: immediately pump funds into the fitness one, without none of your players will ever get back to top stamina), the player growth is fantastic, scouting is great. Injuries seem realistic (I’ve had Scholes off for two months since August, Hargo’s crocked too). Anyway, maybe it’ll get old after a while, but for now it is, again, next gen compared to PES.

Gameplay (the good bits): Feels about right. Pace is deliberate, slow and methodical. Ronaldo can still skin players for pace, but not always, and playing with Carrick is like controlling the Titanic. Which is realistic IMO. Passing on manual is awesome, shooting I have on semi and it’s great. You simply can’t go back to PES and tell me the shots aren’t scripted after this. I miss a lot, but when it goes in it’s right where I wanted. And to be honest, a lot of the time I’m closed down so quickly that I want the player to just put his foot through it, bugger the corners! Defending from the midfield is great, when he was fit having Hargreaves on the pitch was like a 1 goal advantage, closing down players just inside your half is realistic and key to success.

Other stuff to do: The online leagues and all that jazz are all beckoning, and there are loads of features and goodies I’ve not even touch. Great depth.

Unpredictability: This is the big one for me. I never know where my goals are going to come from. Sometimes working down the wing goes well, other games it doesn’t.
The bad:
Faces: Absolutely shocking. Vidic looks like a bad guy from Doom. Even Ronaldo looks off, and he’s rather recognisable in the footballing world. I can’t get what went wrong here, can’t be that difficult!

Gameplay (the bad bits): Maybe it’s just me, but through balls suck, and almost always result in my players stuck on rails (a phenomenon we all know and love from PES) as the defender calmly makes himself a cup of tea, calls his folks and then walks in front of the striker to get the ball. I really need to work out how the hell to super cancel.
Defensive Heading is a bit odd: Sometimes it’s great and I clear it happily, others there’s nothing you can do to get in front of sometimes quite wimpy opposition. When I see Henri Camara boxing out Vidic, I get suspicious.
Defending the cross: Maybe it’s me, but when the CPU wants to cross the ball they will beat the full back unless you double team, tis that simple. Sometimes their back is facing the box and they’ll still manage it.
Tricks: It’s wonderful that EA have given us this trick stick and a million and two possibilities with it, but I’ve yet to use it successfully once, in about 20 games. Anyone had any luck? If anything it annoys me when I’ve got one defender to beat and no easy option to try something.
Keepers: 9 times out 10 they’re fine, but in a match that features 10 shots against you, it’s a given that they’ll do something weird. My least favourite is their diving after a free kick as gone in; not moving as a lofted header floats about 2 inches above their head and the strange running forwards thing. Weird. But I support England and we’ve got robinson in goal. So maybe realistic 
Lower stat defences are still really good: Just played QPR, and they shut up shop like pool in the 80’s, against a charged up United full team. Not likely. They didn’t create jack at the other end though, so I guess it could also be seen as realistic.

Bottom Line

It’s a breath of fresh air to a PES-fanatic. Sometimes it’s beautiful, sometimes it’s ugly, sometimes it’s a bit slow and sometimes you hate it – sounds like football to me!

Seabass' team is a fucking joke!

There's 2 good things that are new in PES 2008...

1. The commentary by Jon Champion
2. The intro video

Both were made in Europe!

Back
Top Bottom