PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

If it wasn't obvious already, my first comment was made merely to get a rise out of people. It is a fanboy fight thread after all and I was just playing the course.

Err why wouldn't any of us want it to be better? Of course we want it to be better, I want it to be better, I want the best football game possible, I want 60 leagues, extensive career mode, supreme simulation of football, if PES were to provide that for me I'd buy it in a heartbeat, comments such as "it's just met with bitterness" are simply ludicrous, you act as if you think we somehow want it to be shit, we somehow want Konami to fail, we somehow want EA to be the best and only football game developer, that's just nonsensical, what do any of us care which football game is the best? Which developer is the one developing the best football game? We're all here as football fans, we're all here as gamers, we're all here as fans of football games, we just want the best football game there is with the most depth, the best gameplay etc. etc.

Some people here are being drama queens. There's always complaints about the newest version of PES but this year it has gotten a little bit silly. No one here has played the finished version of PES2008, yet it is already being used as the punchline in a remark of mockery. They have already taken the stance that PES2008 is a failure and will defend that stance no matter what is thrown at them. At that point it no longer boils down to which game is better, instead it's about which stance is better... which is pretty sad.

The amount of personal animosity thrown around simply because one person likes one aspect of a game and not another is just a phenomenal waste of energy. If you love PES good for you, I truly hope it gives you nothing but 12 months of joy and happiness and that Konami respect such loyalty and give you the game such a fanbase deserves.

If FIFA and PES switched names, I wouldn't be praising the inferior game. The love I have has always been for the gameplay, not the name. Though I do have hope that Konami will stay as the one with the better game. As much as people like to complain about them not improving enough and taking out features, EA is far worse.

How can PES fanboys say PES 2008 will be the best game this year? It's like before Halo 3 came out and everyone is saying it's game of the year. How do you know?

Well, they have precedent on their side.

Last edited:
For the fanboys to fight over

GameSpot 10/3/2007, 8.5 out of 10, 85.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 11/1/2007, 8.67 out of 10, 86.7%
Game Informer 10/1/2007, 7.75 out of 10, 77.5%
Pro-G 9/28/2007, 8 out of 10, 80.0%
Eurogamer 9/28/2007, 8 out of 10, 80.0%
Boomtown 10/3/2007, 9 out of 10, 90.0%
ActionTrip 10/2/2007, 88 out of 100, 88.0%
Gametrailers 9/29/2007, 8.8 out of 10, 88.0%
Xbox World 360 Magazine UK, 9/27/2007, 72 out of 100, 72.0%

Good scores there really, Averaging 83% but thats because of the shambolic 360 Mag review

Yep, good scores indeed, what have other FIFA versions received? Isn't it usually low 70's?

Seems to me youve selected the higher magazine scores, didnt PSM3 give it 6.2 or something, where was that?

*edit* Sorry Coopz blaming the wrong person, you took that from game rankings didnt you, and they havent got that score up, I see why now :D And only for 360 version so obviously no PSM3!

But still thats a good ranking, PS2 one has a percent better though.

Theres the PS3 scores, still didnt have the PSM3 result though.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=810943

Its a link because I didnt know how Coopz did the funky thing he did :D

Last edited:
If it wasn't obvious already, my first comment was made merely to get a rise out of people. It is a fanboy fight thread after all and I was just playing the course.

Some people here are being drama queens. There's always complaints about the newest version of PES but this year it has gotten a little bit silly. No one here has played the finished version of PES2008, yet it is already being used as the punchline in a remark of mockery. They have already taken the stance that PES2008 is a failure and will defend that stance no matter what is thrown at them. At that point it no longer boils down to which game is better, instead it's about which stance is better... which is pretty sad.

If FIFA and PES switched names, I wouldn't be praising the inferior game. The love I have has always been for the gameplay, not the name. Though I do have hope that Konami will stay as the one with the better game. As much as people like to complain about them not improving enough and taking out features, EA is far worse.

Well, they have precedent on their side.

Precendent doesn't mean much, if precedent meant much then FIFA would be rubbish. Precedent counts for too much with fanboys, who have dismissed FIFA immediately because of precedent. Each game deserves a try, new versions are always capable of breaking the mould.

I've bought the PS3 to play PES2008, there is no PES6/PS3 ;)
For me the graphics are ok, didn't expect more.

FIFA (I really enjoy it !) isn't that much better in terms of graphics, to be honest:
- excellent lightening (at least in day matches, night matches do have too much shadow/too dark)
- animations are great in TELE view
- animations/models look crappy in close ups.
- player faces are loveless and not worthy
- lower teams' kits are loveless and not worthy
- numering and lettering are worse than PES

I'm not talking about gameplay/playability here. Just graphics.
...and most of the mentioned issues above could be fixed easily. So EA are the same lazy buggers as Konami are ;)

Last edited:
Check out that video. PES 2008 looks like it uses 1% of the PS3's power. How many people have bought a PS3 for PES 2008!? Poor buggers. :(

Seriously, why do people buy it for one game? Just one, surely you wouldnt do that? 2 maybe haha!

Anyway looks similar to 360 version, maybe not as vibrant and bright, making it less cartoony as you say, dont see whats so bad, wait till you watch it on your own screen.

Seems to me youve selected the higher magazine scores, didnt PSM3 give it 6.2 or something, where was that?

*edit* Sorry Coopz blaming the wrong person, you took that from game rankings didnt you, and they havent got that score up, I see why now :D And only for 360 version so obviously no PSM3!

But still thats a good ranking, PS2 one has a percent better though.

Theres the PS3 scores, still didnt have the PSM3 result though.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=810943

Its a link because I didnt know how Coopz did the funky thing he did :D

I dont know how i did that funky thing either haha

PS2/PC scores dosnt even come into the equation because its current gen and nothing at all like the next gen version

I know, but it got a percent more still.

The others are the PS3 scores. :D

How can you not know what you did haha! I was trying to copy and find a way for ages :(

i clicked the bit where the A/A part is at the top and then just copied and pasted

not tried it again though so it may not have been that easy

To be fair to PES the latest videos posted on the PES next gen forum looks to have slowed down the gameplay by around 25%.

looks better thats for sure.

Well Coopz, I aint trying it again any time soon :D Haha!

Good news, well not for all. Probably not apply to all either. Got back from Goals Soccer Centre after my 5 a side match, and they are doing a pro evo tourny in novemeber earlish to the middle of the month, somewhere about that time anyway. £5 entry fee, and the semi finalists the top 4 of the knockout cup basically get the prizes I think, which is money and copies of the game, also I guess others get some stuff too, there will be pes gear and shizzle, and apparently some sony people will be there and giving away PSP and stuff.

Thats what the manager told me, this is GOALS in Southampton, dunno about anywhere else, you can check the site, should say in tournaments, should have the correct date aswell haha!

fifa08_xbox360_0031.jpg

0099.jpg

I aint checked there for ages.

I actually had to scroll back up to make sure it was PES2008 compared to most of the other pictures, that looks a different class...

Crowd is better on PES, ball is better on PES, likenesses are better on PES. Everything else is worse. IMO.

Crowd is better on FIFA imo, you wouldn't be able to focus on very nearby players AND a far away crowd in the same shot!

Crowd is better on PES, ball is better on PES, likenesses are better on PES. Everything else is worse. IMO.

The funny thing is WENB has said the pace is close to Fifa 08, now just watch the fan boys try and spin that in to a positive for PES2008, after spending weeks saying that same pace is one of Fifa's flaws.

Crowd is better on FIFA imo, you wouldn't be able to focus on very nearby players AND a far away crowd in the same shot!
The FIFA shot is photoshopped, in the actual game the crowd isn't blurred. And they don't stand up or react like they do in PES2008 (get close to the goal and they stand up in anticipation - I love that).

The funny thing is WENB has said the pace is close to Fifa 08, now just watch the fan boys try and spin that in to a positive for PES2008, after spending weeks saying that same pace is one of Fifa's flaws.
LOL. I wonder what will be posted first, "when PES does FIFA's speed it's done properly", "I bet it's not actually FIFA 08's speed, Adonis is just saying that" or "okay it plays better now that it's not running at 100mph and I admit I was just being a Konami cocksucker".

I'm betting it's the first one. :) (I actually saw a post today that said "by the way Konami I've always supported you!" - like Konami is Britney Spears or something. As if they're reading this board and send out "I love you" e-cards to the people who stick up for them.)

Last edited:
To be fair to PES the latest videos posted on the PES next gen forum looks to have slowed down the gameplay by around 25%.

Yeah, seems so. But i dont think it will be enough for me to buy this years game. I dont know, im still dissapointed because PES2008 just looks old you know. Its just an Update, just the same old Engine it seems. Its just not next Gen, its not the Step i was hoping for.

I really loved this Game for so long, truly the best Franchise i ever played in my Life. But now its time for next Gen Games and im not willing to pay for an old Fashion Game. Not full Price - so this Year i wont play my beloved PES and that really hurts my Soul. But im not going to pay Konami for being lazy.

The demo did look slower, but faster than the Fifa 08 pace, which isnt a bad thing :P As I thought Fifa 08 was bit too slow, and PES was too fast, and I wanted something in between, cause then you can always slow it down or speed it up in the way you play, so hopefully the pace is perfect for me (selfish but I am the one going to be playing it for myself :D) haha!

Also the graphics I would say the same as Jack, although the faces also look amazing in that shot, the body porpotions, but I guess that comes under player likenesses. The kits dont actually look that bad from that distance, the colours are quite nice.

In fifa the crowd do clap, I know that, as I have seen it :D But yeah in the PES demo I did notice the fans, clapping, standing up, sitting down, holding the heads if it went wide, cheering for a goal, getting up if you are close to scoring. Think there was a mexican wave somewhere aswell. Cant remember, as I think my mate mentioned it.

Hi, I own a copy of fifa 08 for my ps3, I've played it everyday since I bought it on the release date, but I am really looking forward to getting pes 2008 as I believe it will be allot better than fifa gameplay wise, the shooting is too unrealistic on fifa, I score too many wonderful goals with players who really havent got the attributes to score them, and on more than one occasion.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy playing fifa thoroughly but I think Pes will be much more relistic in gameplay, like it has been since its first release.

My biggest gripe with fifa is the commentary, although its better than any pro evo commentary they do make allot of mistakes, I scored earlier on and whilst celebtrating the goal they were saying how he'd pulled off a magnificant save to deny me a goal, but there will no doubt be a fix for it.

Happy squabling, Dave.

I have come to find Fifas commentary awful and very repetitive, its got more emotion, and sounds more like how the commentators really sound, probably more because its well known commentators, but it is actually pretty awful, I had a cros come in, and they said and the ball is caught from the header from the corner. There was no header, I attempted it, but was no where near the ball, and its like thats awful defending every 20 seconds, and thats what you expect from your ball winner every 10 :(

It actually states that the 360 version is a little faster than fifa 08.

And to be honest even if the pes was the same pace as fifa it would still run rings around it as player response is quicker and ball physics are so much better.

I have Fifa 08 on XBOX 360 and it's awful, really regret buying it! But PES on the PC is outstanding graphics wise especially when you can crank the details up!

The graphics on fifa are not special at all! These promo screenshots that get banded around are not what you get in the real game!

It's a shoddy effort i'm just glad i'll have a good footie game to play come the end of this month.

I have come to find Fifas commentary awful and very repetitive, its got more emotion, and sounds more like how the commentators really sound, probably more because its well known commentators, but it is actually pretty awful, I had a cros come in, and they said and the ball is caught from the header from the corner. There was no header, I attempted it, but was no where near the ball, and its like thats awful defending every 20 seconds, and thats what you expect from your ball winner every 10 :(

I'll be doing a FIFA Commentary patch for PES2008 PC when the time comes, but i'll be using Clive Tyldsley and Andy Gray as they provide the best comments overall.

Back
Top Bottom