PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

1. I've admitted to being a PES fanboy, I love PES2008, FIFA 08 bores me. Have I missed something?

2. I think passing in FIFA is probably just as good as in PES now. It's the dribbling, which is nothing but primordial at best (unless you LIKE having to hold down L2 and fiddle with the right stick, all whilst trying to move and play quick passing football).

3. I've been saying for the past 2 years FIFA has far better shooting than PES, this probably goes unnoticed because people on here lately only want to read the posts they can use against me.

very very simply. when i LOOK at PES2008, it looks arcadey.
the movement is no better than virtua striker...

Just played pes 2008 demo, man what the fuck. I kinda like pes 6, not because it was realistic but it was a good game, but this shite 2008 I mean what the fuck? It's far more arcady than pes 6 and everything is in fast forward as everyone already said. For me PES has just been worse and worse after Winning Eleven 9 LiveWare Evolution (korean). That game was slow paced and a lot of free kicks, it was great. You could build up the attack and protect the ball when defenders came in with to much force. This just sucks and I'll probably end up buying a 360 just for fifa 08 even if I haven't even played it yet. Can't be fucking worse than pes 2008. And this TeamVision can't be in the demo or it's fake because the AI is as bad as in previous versions.

Which game has the correct Spanish kit? They have their numbers on different parts of the shirt.

Yeah, I know the PC version is still last-gen, but seriously, even taking that into account, the game looks really poor.

I have to agree with those two flaws as well, though I don't really care about that kind of stuff (I mean I'm not the kind of guy who would rather have a good looking game over a game with better gameplay), it's clearly noticeable in close shots and replays. EA has definitely a lot of work to do when it comes to appearances - mainly faces and hairs; on the other hand, Konami have managed to make that part of the game perfect (hence the 18 months of hard work...). :|

After playing FIFA 08 since 9am this morning all I can say is that PES 2008 will have to pull out all the stops and have a completely revamped game engine to beat this. It is a seriously good football game. EA: Thanks for the listening to the fans. For once, you really deserve LOTS of credit.

After playing FIFA 08 since 9am this morning all I can say is that PES 2008 will have to pull out all the stops and have a completely revamped game engine to beat this. It is a seriously good football game. EA: Thanks for the listening to the fans. For once, you really deserve LOTS of credit.

Read this review of Fifa, it basically sums it up..

There's no denying that Pro Evolution Soccer was the undisputed title-winner on PS2. EA's FIFA series never matched the realism, precision or unpredictability of Konami's champion - regardless of how many times they refreshed the gameplay engine - although last year's FIFA 07 (PSM3#80, 84%) came close. On next-gen, EA are out of the tunnel first (Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is due on October 26th), but like Man United grinding out another 1-0 win, and despite impressive, yet baffling, claims of AI players making 1000 decisions a second - scrape away the surface gloss, and EA have stuck to their tried-and-tested formula with depressing predictability.

Advertisement:
Plus points? The TV-style presentation is on par with anything you'll see on Sky, with players limbering up prior to kick-off, beautiful panoramic views of the packed stadiums and, of course, the spot-on commentary stylings of Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. As the action gets underway you're left marvelling at how beautifully authentic it looks - the official licenses for kits, players and teams deliver undeniably satisfying glitz. Of course, these are purely aesthetic - after 15 years of trying, despite clear advances in animation and AI, FIFA doesn't come close to Pro Evo. The argument, of course, is that it's trying to be something else - but it's an alternative that fails to appeal.

On the bawl
The game is slow. Remarkably slow. EA might claim it's 'realistic', but the sluggish pace is jarring - after playing the new, 'more deliberate' Pro Evo 2008, FIFA 08 still feels like playing in treacle. Short, unnopposed, passes in midfield are reasonably fluid, but balls inexplicably go awry as you try to break into the last third, or as the opposition applies moderate pressure. The pace of the ball is really sluggish, so even top-class players like Fabregas struggle to direct simple one-touch passes to team-mates - you'd be quicker running towards the ball sometimes than waiting for it to arrive. Cross-field balls are more of a hoof than a Beckham-esque guided pass, seeing the sphere balloon skywards - giving the opposition plenty of time to wait for it to land and regain control of the match. The same can be said about crosses into the box - they simply float like bubbles towards the area.

All this does is create needless switching of possession and, because FIFA 08's players all feel so alike, it can descend into a gritty, physical tackling game of Sunday league quality - especially, though you could argue realistically, when playing with lower league e.g. Championship sides. Replace Hargreaves with, say, Tevez in the middle of the park for Man Yoo and both players will perform the same job to the same standard. The only time you really feel like you're playing with someone unique is when you're using the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry or Rooney - and even then it's all relative to the low-grade players around you. In Pro Evo, you can feel the individual strands of a player's attributes i.e. his unique blend of shooting, passing, strength, crossing or dribbling stats, but in FIFA 08 you can only discern the broader brush stroke i.e. a player is 'good' or 'bad'.

The shooting? Totally average. EA claim you'll never see the same shot twice - which is maybe true, since you can't hit the ball with any consistency. It's not terrible, but your shots are more likely to trickle wide or clear the bar. You can score stunning strikes, but can't help but feel like it was a fluke effort, or that the game has just decided to 'give' you a goal.

FIFA's tricks and flicks system (hold the shoulder button and move the right stick in different directions, Skate-style) might be organic - in terms of animation blending - but it's far from seamlessly integrated into play. Granted, you won't find this sheer variety of skills in any other game - Cristiano Ronaldo has his signature 'heel chop', Ronaldinho can flick the ball over his head from back to front -and overall there are more deceptive skills at work here than an illusionists' convention. But pulling these showboating moves is way too complex - you have to hold the shoulder buttons and then flick the right stick while remembering to move the left stick to keep control of your player. Phew. And doing this against another human player is easily read by your opposition and they're able to just step in and take the ball away. Rob an AI player, however, and he will theatrically fall to the floor as if shot with a sniper's bullet, which is presumably meant to give you a sense of achievement, but it doesn't. It just leaves you cold.

Face of spades
Player likenesses are chilling up close. Zoom in using the replay function and you'll see Wazza Rooney in all his pudding-faced glory, but the rest of the players look like they've been carved out of plastic and left too close to a bonfire - their faces look like they're melting. We're not sure whether they're supposed to look shiny, if this effect represents sweating or if EA just can't 'do' footballer's faces, but it all looks a bit strange and out of place compared to the rest of FIFA 08's slick presentation.

Fan's favourite
FIFA 08 fails to take advantage of the generous window of opportunity before PES 2008's debut, but maybe the blame doesn't just lie at EA's door. Right after FIFA 07 - via an open forum at www.fifplay.com - the developers offered the chance for fans to shape this latest iteration with their own suggestions and constructive criticism. Out of 5000+ responses, about 75% of them requested obscure club teams to be included - the Argentinian league and the Iranian team among other cosmetic fixes. When all EA need to do to shift thousands of copies is focus on team rosters and tick list features, is overhauling the core gameplay their real priority? In fairness, they've tried to create a slower, arguably more 'realistic' game than Pro Evo - but it's simply less intuitive, consistent... or fun. The PS2 version is superior - perhaps because it's bitten the bullet and near-as-dammit xeroxed Pro Evo's play mechanics.

Time will tell, and this mass-market game may, oddly, garner cult support on account of it's uniquely different feel from PES - crudely, the gap's as wide as, say, Tekken vs Virtua Fighter - but the sad fact is, we're not sufficiently encouraged to persevere and find out. Until next year, then...

So basically u must be playing a completely different game to what ive been playin..
But w/e, u can enjoy ur sub par Fifa game while im kicking ass on the beloved PES series.. :)

What more is there to say..

Last edited:
There's no denying that if you want fast arcade action you'd go with PES. And that is what the reviewer wants. So there isn't much more to say.
PES - arcade
FIFA 08 - simulation

There's no denying that Pro Evolution Soccer was the undisputed title-winner on PS2. EA's FIFA series never matched the realism, precision or unpredictability of Konami's champion - regardless of how many times they refreshed the gameplay engine - although last year's FIFA 07 (PSM3#80, 84%) came close. On next-gen, EA are out of the tunnel first (Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is due on October 26th), but like Man United grinding out another 1-0 win, and despite impressive, yet baffling, claims of AI players making 1000 decisions a second - scrape away the surface gloss, and EA have stuck to their tried-and-tested formula with depressing predictability.

Advertisement:
Plus points? The TV-style presentation is on par with anything you'll see on Sky, with players limbering up prior to kick-off, beautiful panoramic views of the packed stadiums and, of course, the spot-on commentary stylings of Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. As the action gets underway you're left marvelling at how beautifully authentic it looks - the official licenses for kits, players and teams deliver undeniably satisfying glitz. Of course, these are purely aesthetic - after 15 years of trying, despite clear advances in animation and AI, FIFA doesn't come close to Pro Evo. The argument, of course, is that it's trying to be something else - but it's an alternative that fails to appeal.

On the bawl
The game is slow. Remarkably slow. EA might claim it's 'realistic', but the sluggish pace is jarring - after playing the new, 'more deliberate' Pro Evo 2008, FIFA 08 still feels like playing in treacle. Short, unnopposed, passes in midfield are reasonably fluid, but balls inexplicably go awry as you try to break into the last third, or as the opposition applies moderate pressure. The pace of the ball is really sluggish, so even top-class players like Fabregas struggle to direct simple one-touch passes to team-mates - you'd be quicker running towards the ball sometimes than waiting for it to arrive. Cross-field balls are more of a hoof than a Beckham-esque guided pass, seeing the sphere balloon skywards - giving the opposition plenty of time to wait for it to land and regain control of the match. The same can be said about crosses into the box - they simply float like bubbles towards the area.

All this does is create needless switching of possession and, because FIFA 08's players all feel so alike, it can descend into a gritty, physical tackling game of Sunday league quality - especially, though you could argue realistically, when playing with lower league e.g. Championship sides. Replace Hargreaves with, say, Tevez in the middle of the park for Man Yoo and both players will perform the same job to the same standard. The only time you really feel like you're playing with someone unique is when you're using the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry or Rooney - and even then it's all relative to the low-grade players around you. In Pro Evo, you can feel the individual strands of a player's attributes i.e. his unique blend of shooting, passing, strength, crossing or dribbling stats, but in FIFA 08 you can only discern the broader brush stroke i.e. a player is 'good' or 'bad'.

The shooting? Totally average. EA claim you'll never see the same shot twice - which is maybe true, since you can't hit the ball with any consistency. It's not terrible, but your shots are more likely to trickle wide or clear the bar. You can score stunning strikes, but can't help but feel like it was a fluke effort, or that the game has just decided to 'give' you a goal.

FIFA's tricks and flicks system (hold the shoulder button and move the right stick in different directions, Skate-style) might be organic - in terms of animation blending - but it's far from seamlessly integrated into play. Granted, you won't find this sheer variety of skills in any other game - Cristiano Ronaldo has his signature 'heel chop', Ronaldinho can flick the ball over his head from back to front -and overall there are more deceptive skills at work here than an illusionists' convention. But pulling these showboating moves is way too complex - you have to hold the shoulder buttons and then flick the right stick while remembering to move the left stick to keep control of your player. Phew. And doing this against another human player is easily read by your opposition and they're able to just step in and take the ball away. Rob an AI player, however, and he will theatrically fall to the floor as if shot with a sniper's bullet, which is presumably meant to give you a sense of achievement, but it doesn't. It just leaves you cold.

Face of spades
Player likenesses are chilling up close. Zoom in using the replay function and you'll see Wazza Rooney in all his pudding-faced glory, but the rest of the players look like they've been carved out of plastic and left too close to a bonfire - their faces look like they're melting. We're not sure whether they're supposed to look shiny, if this effect represents sweating or if EA just can't 'do' footballer's faces, but it all looks a bit strange and out of place compared to the rest of FIFA 08's slick presentation.

Fan's favourite
FIFA 08 fails to take advantage of the generous window of opportunity before PES 2008's debut, but maybe the blame doesn't just lie at EA's door. Right after FIFA 07 - via an open forum at www.fifplay.com - the developers offered the chance for fans to shape this latest iteration with their own suggestions and constructive criticism. Out of 5000+ responses, about 75% of them requested obscure club teams to be included - the Argentinian league and the Iranian team among other cosmetic fixes. When all EA need to do to shift thousands of copies is focus on team rosters and tick list features, is overhauling the core gameplay their real priority? In fairness, they've tried to create a slower, arguably more 'realistic' game than Pro Evo - but it's simply less intuitive, consistent... or fun. The PS2 version is superior - perhaps because it's bitten the bullet and near-as-dammit xeroxed Pro Evo's play mechanics.

Time will tell, and this mass-market game may, oddly, garner cult support on account of it's uniquely different feel from PES - crudely, the gap's as wide as, say, Tekken vs Virtua Fighter - but the sad fact is, we're not sufficiently encouraged to persevere and find out. Until next year, then...

So basically u must be playing a completely different game to what ive been playin..
But w/e, u can enjoy ur sub par Fifa game while im kicking ass on the beloved PES series.. :)

that PES looks and plays like a bunch of robots trying to kick a ball:0

Advertisement:

On the bawl

Face of spades

Fan's favourite

It sums up about as much as your avatar does about women.

This review from computer & Video games sums up absolutely nothing. Its an arrogant, harsh, hypocritical and contradictory review. Mainly, it shows that the reviewer either has deep inset hatred for FIFA... or alternatively just doesn't like simulation football games, either way (and I'm sure its the fact hes a total fanboy), he shouldn't have been reviewing this game.

He says its SAME OLD FIFA. Thats laughable, its changed more than any other year transition, and yet its STILL same old? Lol

They've always praised PES for its realism, for the fact that no two shots are the same, but by Christ when FIFA does it it should be the other way round!

The idea that FIFA is sub par, when it mimicks realism closer than ever, incomparison to PESpeed2008, is hilarious.

To you, the poster who quoted this crap, you're just as idiotic if you think this review has anything fair to say. Its not so much that he didn't like it, as the fact that all of his faults were basically things I want, and therefore totally opinionated, he spent the whole thing harping on about bullshit.

EUROGAMER's review is good, this is shit.

It sums up about as much as your avatar does about women.

This review from computer & Video games sums up absolutely nothing. Its an arrogant, harsh, hypocritical and contradictory review. Mainly, it shows that the reviewer either has deep inset hatred for FIFA... or alternatively just doesn't like simulation football games, either way (and I'm sure its the fact hes a total fanboy), he shouldn't have been reviewing this game.

He says its SAME OLD FIFA. Thats laughable, its changed more than any other year transition, and yet its STILL same old? Lol

They've always praised PES for its realism, for the fact that no two shots are the same, but by Christ when FIFA does it it should be the other way round!

The idea that FIFA is sub par, when it mimicks realism closer than ever, incomparison to PESpeed2008, is hilarious.

To you, the poster who quoted this crap, you're just as idiotic if you think this review has anything fair to say. Its not so much that he didn't like it, as the fact that all of his faults were basically things I want, and therefore totally opinionated, he spent the whole thing harping on about bullshit.

EUROGAMER's review is good, this is shit.

:applause:

There is still no competition for me. I have played this for three days solid now and it is a really enjoyable, well presented football game. I am still getting to grips with it and have scored a total of 8 goals (yes EIGHT) but I am LOVING IT! I feel like I did when I had just bought PES 1 on the original PlayStation. The PES 2008 demo was shocking (so bad I deleted it) and the PES 2008 videos all look "same old, same old". I think that Konami don't know what to do with the Next-Gen consoles. I think they are so used to making the game for the last-gen audience that they don't know what to give the next-gen audience. I can imagine Seabass sitting at his desk, twiddling his thumbs thinking "What shall I add this year? I cannot be bothered to add a proper single-player career mode, more stadiums and a new gameplay engine. I know, I'll speed it up and add a ridiculous Japanese drum & bass soundtrack. The kids will still buy it, the silly mugs do every year. Right, where shall I book my holiday this year? Barbados or Florida?"

There is still no competition for me. I have played this for three days solid now and it is a really enjoyable, well presented football game. I am still getting to grips with it and have scored a total of 8 goals (yes EIGHT) but I am LOVING IT! I feel like I did when I had just bought PES 1 on the original PlayStation. The PES 2008 demo was shocking (so bad I deleted it) and the PES 2008 videos all look "same old, same old". I think that Konami don't know what to do with the Next-Gen consoles. I think they are so used to making the game for the last-gen audience that they don't know what to give the next-gen audience. I can imagine Seabass sitting at his desk, twiddling his thumbs thinking "What shall I add this year? I cannot be bothered to add a proper single-player career mode, more stadiums and a new gameplay engine. I know, I'll speed it up and add a ridiculous Japanese drum & bass soundtrack. The kids will still buy it, the silly mugs do every year. Right, where shall I book my holiday this year? Barbados or Florida?"

"about konami' i feel the same bout MGS I think the pressure is to much

I can't believe how much some members get so excited about the players' faces but don't seem to worry about the gameplay. Watch Spurs v Villa at 8pm on Sky Sports 1 and then play the PES 2008 demo. You'll notice that it's become nothing more than an arcade footie experience now. It looks, sounds and plays like a typical Japanese game which is great if I actually liked that sort of game. It just isn't for me.

PES 2008 isn't even out yet. We can not judge the gameplay from the demo.
I like PES6/360 pace and gameplay. If the final 2008 will be close to it, it'll be fine for me (the demo plays a bit too fast for me)
Of course the final PES will be far from perfect. There's too much space too improve (gameplay, modes and presentation)
Hopefully Konami realizes that EA does not sleep anymore. Maybe some good FIFA reviews/average only PES reviews will push them.

I really enjoy FIFA08 (check my posts in the FIFA thread), but there are also some glitches that could ruin the long time motivation:
- to complex controls (even if it's a sim now, a player should concentrate on how to built up a play and not on how to use controls)
- I don't feel that much difference between different players/teams (yet)

As mentioned in another post, I hope Joe Booth will continue to produce the FIFA series. He did a good job with this years PS3/360 and last years PS2/PC version.

Aye, demo's are pretty much the final game anyway and any improvements can't change a whole engine.

minor tweaks can affect the whole gameplay experience ! And as the WENB guys reported, there are tweaks in later builts.

I can understand that many PES fans are dissapointed with this years PES, we have had (too) high expectations.

Maybe Konami spent too less effort into a new engine/gameplay enhancements, but they put effort into player liknesses/edit mode. This is what they have been asked for over the last years ("gameplay is top, graphics need to be improved")

What we can say so far: we've got a (very) good FIFA, so let's wait for PES. There shouldn't be a problem having two good (but different) football games.

Thing is though jeblo gameplay hasnt been top for some time now. Not really. Its just we havent had a serious challenger to PES until FIFA next gen this year has turned the heat up a bit! You can now see PES's flaws. Robotic movement, stiff control of players, 100% assisted passes and scripting still apparent and you can really see how dated the game engine is. Its a tweaked version of a tweaked version etc etc...

PES gameplay still is very good. (I've played uncountable great and exciting matches) Of course there is lot of space to improve it. Unfortunally Konami does know that they have a good gameplay engine and therefore they don't see a reason to change it drastically.

That's the second reason (next to having a good game to play) I'm happy there's finally a good FIFA: Komani is forced to put even more effort into the game...

Back
Top Bottom