PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

R I P=Peter Brackley.
Yesterday i played "cup mode" (think it was called konami cup) and the game played great, much better than league/master league mode. Anybody try this mode?

i was in a ML & i have stop playing it because of the repetative robotic AI.I then went back to Fifa & my carrer mode & had great time.Cpu AI plays so much better.Shoots , dribbles tries a lot of things and plays so much better generally & most of all they try to react according the way you defend them.This is the most important that Pes 19 can’t do.In Fifa they will try to find a way to score depending from what defense gives them.On Pes19 they just do the same thing over and over even when you defend this succesfull all the time (low or normal cross attempt).After 3 weeks I played Pes19 after applying Live update hoping that this could change sthing on gameplay (which does not).From the first game (continuing) my ML I felt like “damn Pes will always has sthing special,sthing great.Player movement , ball physics & everything else we know that makes Pes so good was there”.I kept playing 5 matches & in the end I end up to close the game & return to the other game with disappointment.From last third of the pitch the game is pathetic vs cpu.All goals they scored is “guess how”? hahaha But the issue is not that they scored.Of course they must score on us somehow but they just kept doing this idiotic way of play that in the end becomes so tiring that makes you bore to death & don’t want to continue.It is like there is nothing else to keep you playing if you play with cpu.I went back to fifa because playing offline is very very different & keeps your interest. I really hope they fix this with the patch.I mean to make cpu play more like human.Make some dribbles.Pass the ball back & change sides like they do in fifa when you shut them.Try to play 1-2 and open defenses and shoot from outside of the box when they find solid defense.Is this so difficult to do after all so many years creating soccer games?Make it play like soccer .Because if they do, I believe that this could be a game that you just wont stop playing

I really think if the patch fixed a lot of the issues it could be the best pes's for nearly a decade.
I really enjoy the game when the AI isn't spamming low crosses, forwards turning back on goal etc.
But this is konami so I have no faith in them. Prove me wrong konami!!

I don't play offline but you really think that the patch change AI? Of course it will be some fixes but don't expect much in particular different AI playing.....
Of course it can change it. Pes18 had decent AI, where AI was dribbling and shooting from distance. Adjusting and looking for options. 18 wasnt a boring game. The only thing wrong with 18 was lack of fouls, injuries and overpowered through balls. 19 fixed them and somehow broke the AI making them boring to bits.

At first I thought that AI has to be more clinical and ruthless, as they never tried to shoot from distance and sometimes they werent trying to score, even on 1on1, choosing to go to the wing instead.

Now I think that AI is actually too clinical. They dont take risks and they will not try to shoot unless its an easy tap in goal or a 100% goal scoring opportunity. AI keeps looking for those. And when they shoot its always a sniper top corner shot. Its too obsessed by goal probability calculation. They actually need to dumb it down a tiny bit, to make them interesting. Let them try to shoot from distance or bad position. Let them take risks by trying to dribble pass few players. Make them less cold blooded robots and more fun.

I really think if the patch fixed a lot of the issues it could be the best pes's for nearly a decade.
I really enjoy the game when the AI isn't spamming low crosses, forwards turning back on goal etc.

Which issues except glued keepers and AI low crosses?

I thought the same the other day and kept playing it.

The issue with pes these days is that it’s empty and soulless. There is nothing to do. It’s great for a quick match but the master league is so boring and shallow, it gets boring quick.

It’s a shame because like you, I also think this has potential to be best since pes 5. But off the pitch, like the reviews say, it’s an abomination.

Its not only low crosses. Its crosses in general. And low through balls from the wing. Everything is laser guided in the final third. They changed animations and player movements, which resulted in lesser response of your players. You cant just turn quickly anymore. Your position, body ballance, momentum, everything is taken into account. Which is good, because its realistic.
But when it clashes with perfect laser guided pass from AI it becomes frustrating. There is a lot of goals, where there is absolutely sweet fuck all you can do to prevent them. Doesnt matter if you press, secondary press, mark, or jockey. There will be a rocket pass followed by a sniper shot.

Even corners. I dont know about you guys, but I have an awful troubles defending corners on superstar. 9/10 times they have a shot or a header. Im not loosing many goals from it but only because they miss or my GK saves it. But I cant get the ball out in most cases. And its reàlly frustrating.

AI plays great up to the final third. They make mistakes, they play ball, its really enjoyable.
But once they get closer to the goal they turn into Terminators and goal calculation takes complete control.

Additionally we have the last 10mins in which they bounce a ball like crazy till they score.
So we have super realistic player movements and ball physics Vs arcade, laser guided shots and passes from crazy robotic AI.
And together it brings nothing but frustration.

I thought the same the other day and kept playing it.

The issue with pes these days is that it’s empty and soulless. There is nothing to do. It’s great for a quick match but the master league is so boring and shallow, it gets boring quick.

It’s a shame because like you, I also think this has potential to be best since pes 5. But off the pitch, like the reviews say, it’s an abomination.

Yeah the Master League is boring but to be honest its the same dull experience in the other game - just more depth. Nothings majorly changed.
Im fine with firing up PES, having a few games and turning it off. Thatll do me. Im a (really) casual gamer. I only buy PES or FIFA so as long as I get half hours fix every other day im fine with that.
The last few weeks ive been going from one to the other looking to really get into one of them - hopefully both - but Im not that guy anymore. I dont have time. Im looking for something in me that isnt there any more. Back in the day Id play ML for hours a day every day but not now.
What I fail to understand is people who really dont like the game continually playing it then moaning about it (not you directly). I dont like sticking nails in my eyes - so I dont do it!
Both games need to invest in the respective career modes but they wont as it earns them zero money.

Forwards running towards goal then either turning back and going wrong way or getting ball on 6 yard box and rather shoot they take a touch and another touch and another while drifting further and further away from goal ending up in a goal kick.
Plus laser guided back heels. I conceded a move that had 3 in that just looked stupid.

I agree with Emroth post and as other have stated, the problem with the AI is not only low crosses.The cpu on offense plays very good up to medfield.When they pass it ,its bad.i can mention a lot but there is no need.We ALL play and we all know (offline players) & it gets really bad when on ML.For me the biggest issue is their logic.It is like they don’t want to attempt some things unless they believe that they will have success.That is why on ML you play so many matches and human has sthing like 6,7-8 shots with 1-2 goals and cpu has 1 shot 1 goal or 3 shots 3 goals. They don’t take chanches ,they don’t play “normaly”, they don’t risk anything that is why the games vs cpu are so repetative! Also,regarding the low cross, there is an explanation (for me) why they do it constantly.If you defend the crosser with your player(s) and they managed to cross it will almost always be a goal because you cpu defenders will watch the ball pass their feet or they do nothing ,go to other side sometimes, so the cpu attacker can score.But if you send 2nd defender to defend the cross and control a defender in the box you will almost always stop the cross if it is low and the worst is that it is obvious that you will stop it because you have a proper position but the cpu will keep doing this because they believe that the ball will pass as when your defender is controlled by cpu!

Same goes when they attempt long high balls from 1/3 of the pitch to bypass the defend because with the default settings on D they can scucceed. If you adjust (with a Deep D line) this play wont work but they just keep doing this.These things are crazy considering the AI that we have seen in the past from Pes. Their logic is dummy this year and it is like they don’t react to what is happening but they are about to execute what they have been coded.

But if you send 2nd defender to defend the cross and control a defender in the box you will almost always stop the cross
Thats what I do and up to 80th minute it works. Then AI is getting this insane boost and their crosses are becoming unstopable. Thy either send a rocket low cross that you cant block (as your defender is slow to adjust his position), or apply some crazy spin on the ball that just goes around you.
Its cool when you play against Barcelona, but not when you play against Leipzig. And every COM team does that.

Thats what I do and up to 80th minute it works. Then AI is getting this insane boost and their crosses are becoming unstopable. Thy either send a rocket low cross that you cant block (as your defender is slow to adjust his position), or apply some crazy spin on the ball that just goes around you.
Its cool when you play against Barcelona, but not when you play against Leipzig. And every COM team does that.
i know my friend, i know

The only way to measure whether a game with is "good" or not is by the number of seasons you play ML on it (as a offline player)

Can you tolerate what bothers you for 5-10 seasons?
I've returned to my old pes 17 Milan save,7 seasons in on it (7-8 on a different save)
I think I can see past the its flaws,I can certainly see past 19s flaws,the only reason I'm not playing more ml on it is because when a patch hits,I might have to restart it.
Theres a comparison thread Vs FIFA so I'm not gonna compare,but I gave up on that game for a good reason,I can't see myself playing 38-46 league games season after season and never get a freekick.
I can't see past that,the things I couldn't see past in Pes 18 broke it for me as well (like it more now though).

Recently finished my last season of PES 18 and I'd say at least 50% of the goals I conceded came from the AI kicking off from the centre circle. They can spend the whole match doing nothing but get an insane superhuman boost when kicking off and walk the ball straight into the net without me touching it.

Just played my first game of PES 19 and it's already happened. This ridiculous game breaking bug needs to go Asap.

PES 18 final stats - 11 seasons, 5 penalties, 0 AI red cards.

I just can't see Konami fixing PES 2019 without breaking something else....the company is clueless these days.

They have been getting battered on Twitter of late. They even had the cheek to tweet out "Who's enjoying PES today?" on Saturday. The replies are extremely telling!

PES 18 final stats - 11 seasons, 5 penalties, 0 AI red cards.
:LOL:
My final stats - 5 seasons, 1 penalty and 1 AI red card.
Penalty and red card (from a deliberate foul in penalty area to stop me being 1on1 with GK) came a week before Pes19 release. :LOL:
Hope this year we wont have to wait to have the game fixed and enjoyable till the week before Pes20 release.
Altho, Im not planning on buying Pes20 till following Xmas at least. Not making this mistake again.

I've just started a league and just wondering why 6 out of my first 7 games are away from home. If Konami can't replicate the real fixture list like the other game does then what's wrong with alternating home/away matches?

You can go back nearly 30 years to find games with accurate fixture lists so what's the excuse?

The game is slower from today?

I thought it was casual lag in an online match, but then played an exhibition against cpu, and it is very slow.

First it was too fast, now it is too slow.

Plus, so many stupid behavior of my teammates.

1. Utterly stupid positioning,
2. always making some weird extra touch,
3. when needed a full run, they always stop for a second, for no reason.
4. And this is new: when defending, it is very hard just to stop them from headless running in wrong direction. It seems that they start running when I switch to a player, and wile selected, player starts to run, no matter of my input, in some shitty direction which comp decided. I regain control after a second, but it is too late.

What kind of people work on this? Demo was fine, and now this whole crap.

Last edited:
Fregen: Manual R2 low finish from outside the box in MyClub challenge cup vs Sao Paulo professional. Admitted, lot of space due to deep defensive line, Ai attack +1 and 4/5 of my players in attack.

Forwards running towards goal then either turning back and going wrong way or getting ball on 6 yard box and rather shoot they take a touch and another touch and another while drifting further and further away from goal ending up in a goal kick.
Plus laser guided back heels. I conceded a move that had 3 in that just looked stupid.

Agree.

One that I hate (and it won't get fixed) is when cpu is defending, when they clear the ball, it always goes with 100% laser-guided accuracy to attacker standing on half-way line, who is always unmarked, and who always controls it 100% perfectly.

I've even seen occasions where the cpu slide-tackle me from behind in their box (never a penalty, of course) and the ball flies straight to cpu attacker on halfway line direct from the slide-tackle. Also seen it where they are facing their own goal and somehow, without even looking, kick it clear 180 degrees straight to attacker on half way line ... I mean, come on, at least try to hide how scripted it is.

And if I man-mark the attackers, the marker (even with man-marking trait) just keep a good distance to ensure the scripted pass is 100% successful.

Then a few cpu first-time ping-pong passes and backheels usually ensues.

I really liked PES2018 so I am giving 19 a good go, but when I see this same routine from every team about 5-10 times per match, I'm at the stage where I regularly just have to turn it off.

And a few tests showed me how broken the attacking AI can be. For example, playing exhibition matches, when I feel the "scripted momentum" (that has been in the game for years) is making my team play bad and the cpu is getting all the scripted "luck", I sometimes switch sides and it usually takes about 30-60 seconds before the game "realises" what's happened and switches the bad luck over to the team I'm now controlling. So now, for about a minute, the cpu has all the bad luck (and my guys are unbelievably good). So during this time, I've deliberately set up chances for the opposition attackers to score by making all my defenders run away from the ball. But the cpu attackers just stop and don't know what to do....the ball lying there about 18 yards from goal, no defenders near, and they stand and do nothing for about 5 seconds. Eventually they move to the ball and then usually run off to the side of the box hoping to do a low cross.

A stupid test but it showed me how ridiculous the AI can be, particularly when the scripted momentum kicks in against my team and so I switch sides, meaning the cpu has a minute or so with the bad momentum.

Back
Top Bottom