PES 2018 vs 2019 vs 2020 vs 2021?

Launched PES2018 at last. An remembered why I like PES2019 more )) Weak passes, weak shots, defence is a joke, chaotic corners, no free kicks during the game because all AI tackles are clear... What is really superb - goalkeeper animations.

The only PES that still is a mistery to me - PES2017 console version. Because PC version was outdated. But even this outdated version was very solid. So I guess console version of PES2017 really could be the best.

Last edited:
I skipped PES 2019, but I’ve been thinking of getting it on CDkeys after watching some videos in the last couple of days. I’ve been impressed with how much more smoother than PES 2021 it looks in terms of player movement and ball physics.

My only concern with 2019 is the potential lack of variety in attack from the CPU, especially considering the amazing gameplay mods some members of this community have created for PES 2021 (I.e. Holland, Alex).

Is anyone aware of any mod for PES 2019 that improves the overall gameplay experience against the CPU?

Thanks in advance!

I skipped PES 2019, but I’ve been thinking of getting it on CDkeys after watching some videos in the last couple of days. I’ve been impressed with how much more smoother than PES 2021 it looks in terms of player movement and ball physics.

My only concern with 2019 is the potential lack of variety in attack from the CPU, especially considering the amazing gameplay mods some members of this community have created for PES 2021 (I.e. Holland, Alex).

Is anyone aware of any mod for PES 2019 that improves the overall gameplay experience against the CPU?

Thanks in advance!
https://www.gamingwithtr.com/pes-2019-new-final-gameplay-mod-2021/

Try this one. The creator (gamingwithtr) has released a lot of gameplay mods and this is his final one! From what I've seen it improves gameplay quite a bit! :TU:

It's not a question with an objective answer. We all look for different things in football games and enjoy different things. I like slow, heavy gameplay with lots of fouls and a heavy ball, featuring slow turns and cumbersome handling. Tradeoffs between gameplay and realism make for a great football game. With those values firmly in mind:

PES 2021
PES 2019
PES 2020
PES 2018

The truth is that all four are great football games. The bottom one of my list, PES 2018, would easily stand head and shoulders above many another PES game in history. It's just that out of these 4, this is my ranking.

The platform they're played on can make a hige difference. On PC, any football game can be modded to have the values you like the best. I mainly play on console for convenience's sake and the above are console rankings.
This would be my exact ranking. Note : i play in PA1. Experience varies a lot if you play manual, especially regarding CPU awareness.

PES 2021 / Last real Konami patch have the most possibilities and added micro-stuff from any PES, the most logic in terms of physics, and to me the most balanced and varied in terms of shooting/passing, AI is the more challenging to me of the series on PS4, perhaps for some the variation is missing, but i don't see that much that AI was so agressive in the olders titles, perhaps with the same patterns but not "less" patterns, i don't believe that.
The Tight Possession and Agression brings a lot to the way we played. Before, they probably mixed stats for those "values", but even with combination it's too approximative. Like if you mix Ball Control + Dribbling for Tight possession : a player can be good in the two values but not on Tight Possession etc.
That's one of the only interesting stuff on PES 2020 but the rest for me is "stiff" as you calls it, missing animations, and even more lifeless about movement on the pitch.

2018 got too much flaws in terms of balance, there's no referee at all (really AT ALL), too fast player and bigger pitch but they didn't really calibrated the players movements/ai/physics vs big pitch. Too fast passed. Probably one of the favourite from people coming from/or preferred Fifa game style (no diss)
And i like 2019 as it's 2018 with correction (to me) even if it's more physical and slower for the balance, same goes as 2021 for physics/logics/footballistic... But in simpler, much more basic.

2020, i just didn't liked it as it was kinda like 2018 was for 2019 : a "new system" but uncontrolled. Like i said above with the new stats : they weren't as prolific as they are in 2021 : too timid to makes them important for not loosing the balance.
The pre-final patch was okay and finally playable, but the final one changed the ball physics (from what me an 2 friends observed), and they all fucked up, when it started to be enjoyable (the one with every player are "live update)

So we concluded that ball physics as changed : the one that should be in 2021... But not players awareness of the ball and animations going with it, from what we observed. It concluded to very very weird situation where the player was wtf for a simple long pass to receive and did unnatural moves, buggy pushing ball etc.
> Probably transformed that game to something unplayable or more "not totally functional" for people who says "just a Season update? i stay on 2020"

Last edited:
If we talk about PES on Fox Engine, for me PES 2019 is the best on PC and together with 2017 on consoles. It's simple decision for me.

Wanted to ask you guys (particularly PC gamers, but console gamers feel free to respond)..

How has your experience been with scripting in PES 2019?

I played a lot of this installment a few years ago when it came out, and my experience with scripting was terrible. I remember I started a league with Estudiantes de la Plata, and had to restart it several times because what I felt was awful scripting at the time. I´d be leading 2-0 and have a match under control and then all of a sudden the CPU would turn into Real Madrid and score 3 goals in the final 10 minutes.. I'd beat Boca 3-1, go on a winning streak, and then lose against a small team like Patronato who suddenly play better than Boca.. Stuff like that that was very frustrating.

I've been wanting to go back to PES 2019 lately (I applied the gameplay mod I included above to try it out but I actually prefer the original vanilla gameplay in terms of physics, etc.) but those experiences with scripting really made the game unenjoyable quite often. It's probably the most script I've experienced in a football game. It's a shame, because I remember really liking the ball physics and overall feel of the game. Maybe I've improved a bit as a PES player, and perhaps I could go back to it and find ways to neutralize the script, or find that it was a placebo to begin with. Anyway, would love to hear you guys' take on this. :TU:

Last edited:
I don't really believe in "script" as people describe it, never see a ball suddenly changing trajectory to enter on the goal or a situtation where there's absolutely nothing to do for not taking a goal. NEVER get my players completely impossible to move... Only when i took too much runs.

I also got like 3 goals a row, but i deserved it after rewatching lol : all my players where dead, and i got too much thrust in myself.

BTW, PES 2021 is the most challenging i found, never got too hard with any others version from 2015 to 2019 (did not played 2020 as much)
Also players follows a lot their "CPU Style" but also their qualities : i took a 25-30 meters bullet, then i got to see the player : he owned the card "Long range drive + CPU Long shoot)

If there was scripting as you mention it, any players could do that. I need real proof of scripting, with stats of the keeper and his form.
But one thing is sure : if you play on your Home ground, there's more chance to get good arrows, same with bad arrows on Away.

Well, there's wayyy too much parameters to include scripting. They can made a match "CPU with help" or just the hasard from the arrows on some matchs, but sincerely, to me "match that you can't do anything but loose" doesn't exist, no way.
There's already enough parameters to not include something like scripts, and i really believe that creating something like you call scripting is wayyy too hard to do. And for what purpose too... Just the strong, at Home and in form having an advantage is enough. And it's logic, nothing opposed to logic.

I saw in FIFA a lot of ball completely deviated from their trajectory to enter in the goal. But was it a script or a trajectory miscalculation bug which was corrected at the almost very last second?
There's also very small teams annoying to play on that game, doing one counter and Goal, Greece 2006 realism like, a bit less tactical lol, but it happen, as long as it's not something common and usual... Nothing abnormal.

Also, PES 2017 is part of the 2014-2017 "engine" with a smaller pitch and all. A different game to me. Faces where awfully rendered (i mean in game face) and there's again Inertia missing / but still miles from Fifa even 16 or 17 about physical logic /.

To, me, it's kinda like, in less obvious, 2008-2010 and 2011-2013 versions.

That's why i think the guy who created the thread didn't mentionned it. But i retried : it's a fun game, and it's kinda more fun/less sim but there's dynamism.
And fault, no cards or penalty, but fault lol. A bit too easy too shoot on target from long distance but overall an amusing game. But even if gameplay choice where as good or perhaps better, technically above PES 19-21 but a lot, a good improvement of PES 2015... But still FOX restrictions.
They unleashed what the engine could do starting by the 19, but the game is a bit too much physical based... While PES 2021 is also physical based yes, that's what the engine purposed on PES 2014 : a physical game, but more balanced vs reality in terms of contacts.

Well, all i said is my own perception, i don't push anyone to share it or be okay with me ;) but i try to understand the philosophy behind.
Because i think that's the most important part of the game : the phylosphical approach which will make the game more arcade, fun, balanced, offensive, based on creating chance a lot to score or less creating chance but more success on the last move etc.

That's why we love retro version : it's following a certain philosophy hard to reproduce with all the technical novelties and what is needed to make a game more realistic, human-like.
For that, as they increased tons of stuffs including the pitch twice as on PS1-2 : they should have increased games to 14-15 minutes for what they were aiming for.

@vialli82 I hope you're right bro and there's no such thing as script LOL.. Maybe earlier when I wasn't as aware of form arrows and their impact as I am now I detected it more (even if it's existent/non-existent).. All I know is that PES 2019 was very frustrating to play for this reason, especially league mode (I didn't feel an effect in exhibition). I just couldn't understand how a one star and a half rated team all of a sudden started playing like Real Madrid when losing 2-0 loool. But maybe you're right, could be perception and I need to pick it up again after more strategic and gaming experience. :TU: I think script is present in 2019 but seriously it'd be great if it's just an impression or lack of experience at the time.

I am completely with @millossobek here, and have different opinion with @vialli82 (in a friendly and polite manner of course) about scripting/handicap/CPU "cheating"/ flatting stats/make the game challenging/every game must be a fascinating story/name whatever you want.

What i find most often, we usually disagree about the term. Yes i assume we all know that scripting is a wrong word to describe what we mean about CPU cheating , but it's a term that it was established the last decade. It's not that the ball will change trajectory suddenly, or will teleport to the goal net to satisfy the CPU. It's many other little things , or big things.

Fun fact, on the pre-previous decade, the word scripting was used a lot on soccergaming forum, in FIFAvsPES/WE topic, in the era of PES 4 vs FIFA 05, and it was mostly used as "scripted" and scripting, regarding FIFA 05 , which was accused as more scripted , meaning that it had basically canned animations, and limited outcomes to actions, while PES 4 had much more dynamics and diversity.

Well the modern scripting, despite the wrong word, is something different. I leave ot here, cause i will write much more, if i am to expand, on how i have it in my mind, and the post is already huge :D

What i only can add, i stopped debating with people that don't believe in its existence, cause i see it is subjective how everyone sees things. I respect both sides either way. :)

But as I say it is always different taste for different people , for example Vialli said he finds challenge in 2021, while not in 2019. In the same time i find 2019 so much "challenging" that becomes unplayable to me, but 2021 while challenging i find it much easier on SS level, than 19 and 18.

If i had to sort them by difficulty , from most Difficult to more easy, FOR ME always, it is:

1. PES 2019
2. PES 2018
3. PES 2021
4. PES 2020
5. PES 2017

But this is always a matter of each person separately. I think I've told again a story about PES 2011 and how people can differ in same things.

My best mate and i, were rivals since ISS days to SNES, in every PES, except PES 2008 and 2009, i was always winning him, in our home tournaments. In PES 2011, we were also roommates for couple of months back in Autumn of 2010, the difference was so obvious, i could take AEK and win him while having Barcelona, so he got bored and stopped playing against me. So we were playing separately, each one to his PC, to his room.

In Master League Online i had better weekly rating than him, and was always in better division , just for the record, there were 5 divisions in MLO.

In Master League Offline, i was in the gap, winning in Professional, being hammered by the AI in TopPlayer. So i focused more in ML Online, different concept, different mentality, different age (younger me).

One day, i was tired of playing, grabbed a beer, made a pause, and went to his room, to check what he was playing.

I was amazed to find, that he was playing ML offline with PAOK Salonika, started with the defaults, bought mostly OG PAOK players and some other Good Greek Players, he had played already 10 seasons in ML, and he had won everything, every season, back to back.

And he was winning every club ,2-0, 3-0 with ease.

What i want to conclude: the same person that i was winning with ease in PvP, was toying with Top Player AI, while me in TP, i was struggling to grab an 1-1 draw.

I mean even two people who have measured and clear skill level between them, may accept the experience vsCOM, much different...

Oh fek...this was very long, imagine of i expanded on "scripting"....Bad me 😃😃😸😂

Yes we got different opinion about it also scripted was definite as predictable outcome in the past, but unpredictable got a logic. I'm still on the same rail as before regarding the old definition, about outcomes and logic.

Aswell to me i never saw something concrete in video. And the kind of scripting is like toned down for no reason your players etc., or less subtle like the ball (the issue, there's tons of example in FIFA, i don't see "clear" vids in PES. Perhaps because they added unstructured algorithm or... It's scripting

I'm sorry sincerely mate, but i got hard to understand why (call it otherwhise) AI Cheating have something to do with it 😅
Why does he win and why you don't... I don't see at all the link with scripting. I remember in the past hard player for everyone but easy for me, the way i played. And the opposite, someone not quite strong but was my "black beast" lol

Like you found 2019 more challenging than me, i play on Legendary PA1 and i got not always but easier to get the ball physically. I play pretty agressive in defense, and fast pasted. Now in PES 2021, i got probably harder to defend as i found personally that the ref. is a bit more strict regarding the way in take the ball... Well i got my part or "there's no fault" like if i was the ghost who tackled Djibril while he cracked his leg.

And that's a great thing : having the variety level to have hard against a normally easy to beat guy and/or difficulty higher, and a hard to handle one lower difficulty is for me a proof that football representation is pretty nicely done and one thing could work against someone but not against others.

As i never saw a real scripting proof... Offline at least. I don't play online, and even on FIFA (online only on that one) i never experienced that : i feel when the ball will be in or out by the timing and all without being presomptuous. I couldn't if it was so much "cheated" or i just can anticipate when the cheat will came out it's not impossible 😂

One last thing : i already talked about something that may happen aswell with you or the CPU : awareness boost.
Sometimes, because you feel very well the game during a short period : you became practically unstoppable and score 3 goals a row. Not your players are better but you. I think the CPU got the same programmed stuff, not that their player are stronger but made the very right decision during a short lap of time.
You may call it scripting and found it bad, you may see it as "it is", just that i personally don't. There's CPU awareness, way to play, and players stats, like a Barca is harder on top player than a Wycombe on Legendary etc.

For the final note : it's very very hard to found a way to get the game harder for everyone that's why some struggle in Superstar and got almost easy in Legendary. That's a bit too philosphic and complicated as sports games are from another kind as teams themselve have their own difficulty due to their players, better to avoid that debate, between philosophy and metaphysics haha

Last edited:
I am completely with @millossobek here, and have different opinion with @vialli82 (in a friendly and polite manner of course) about scripting/handicap/CPU "cheating"/ flatting stats/make the game challenging/every game must be a fascinating story/name whatever you want.

What i find most often, we usually disagree about the term. Yes i assume we all know that scripting is a wrong word to describe what we mean about CPU cheating , but it's a term that it was established the last decade. It's not that the ball will change trajectory suddenly, or will teleport to the goal net to satisfy the CPU. It's many other little things , or big things.

Fun fact, on the pre-previous decade, the word scripting was used a lot on soccergaming forum, in FIFAvsPES/WE topic, in the era of PES 4 vs FIFA 05, and it was mostly used as "scripted" and scripting, regarding FIFA 05 , which was accused as more scripted , meaning that it had basically canned animations, and limited outcomes to actions, while PES 4 had much more dynamics and diversity.

Well the modern scripting, despite the wrong word, is something different. I leave ot here, cause i will write much more, if i am to expand, on how i have it in my mind, and the post is already huge :D

What i only can add, i stopped debating with people that don't believe in its existence, cause i see it is subjective how everyone sees things. I respect both sides either way. :)

But as I say it is always different taste for different people , for example Vialli said he finds challenge in 2021, while not in 2019. In the same time i find 2019 so much "challenging" that becomes unplayable to me, but 2021 while challenging i find it much easier on SS level, than 19 and 18.

If i had to sort them by difficulty , from most Difficult to more easy, FOR ME always, it is:

1. PES 2019
2. PES 2018
3. PES 2021
4. PES 2020
5. PES 2017

But this is always a matter of each person separately. I think I've told again a story about PES 2011 and how people can differ in same things.

My best mate and i, were rivals since ISS days to SNES, in every PES, except PES 2008 and 2009, i was always winning him, in our home tournaments. In PES 2011, we were also roommates for couple of months back in Autumn of 2010, the difference was so obvious, i could take AEK and win him while having Barcelona, so he got bored and stopped playing against me. So we were playing separately, each one to his PC, to his room.

In Master League Online i had better weekly rating than him, and was always in better division , just for the record, there were 5 divisions in MLO.

In Master League Offline, i was in the gap, winning in Professional, being hammered by the AI in TopPlayer. So i focused more in ML Online, different concept, different mentality, different age (younger me).

One day, i was tired of playing, grabbed a beer, made a pause, and went to his room, to check what he was playing.

I was amazed to find, that he was playing ML offline with PAOK Salonika, started with the defaults, bought mostly OG PAOK players and some other Good Greek Players, he had played already 10 seasons in ML, and he had won everything, every season, back to back.

And he was winning every club ,2-0, 3-0 with ease.

What i want to conclude: the same person that i was winning with ease in PvP, was toying with Top Player AI, while me in TP, i was struggling to grab an 1-1 draw.

I mean even two people who have measured and clear skill level between them, may accept the experience vsCOM, much different...

Oh fek...this was very long, imagine of i expanded on "scripting"....Bad me 😃😃😸😂

Agree 100%.

I think as well on the "scripting" issue there is a problem in wording, or on the two "factions" describing the fact.

Now I may do a completely silly comparison.. I don't know if some of you guys ever played Left 4 Dead, the coop multi FPS (probably my second favourite online game ever.. non that I played that many lol). There was a recognized AI in the background named "the director" that used to spawn special enemies, hordes, weapons and objects basing itself on your path, your position, your pace etc. just to make things more random. That's an actual thing you can on google, not some urban legend of sort.

I imagine scripting in football games as something similar.. not really a tool that bends and break the "rules" of the world but rather one that conveniently (?) encourages situations by manipulating stats, chances on shot and passing and so on. My theory is that it's probably the easier (laziest) way they have to produce challenge on higher levels.

Now do I have smoking guns for this? Of course not.. there never has been an announced feature like the L4D "Director" for any mainstream football game, nor anybody ever found something similar by tweaking the various titles in the years (although you could argue football games are generally among the less gameplay moddable ones, and most of the hidden things just remains under the surface. if we had the same modding capability of completely turning the game upside down like there are for some FPS, we probably would already have a damn good, near perfect "artigianal" football sim.. with all due respect for modders, that gave us some incredible stuff, games could never change that much). That's why I wouldn't drag this discussion for posts and posts even if in my experience it's a reality. I could give practical examples but maybe I'll save it for another time as I really don't want to debate this stuff right now. Everyone may give the explanation he prefers to the phenomenon and so be it.

Abandoning a bit the scripting issue, I also totally get what you said about your friend and difficulty and how things differ from one to another. Pes 2011 it's probably one of the weirdest in this regard as for me it's really balanced (leaning on the moderately hard) but for some other it's literally piss easy. There are loads of other examples like this, must depend on approach, on individual etc.; I stopped really caring about consensus on this stuff after I saw people beating Legend on Pes 2018, which to me it's more or less the ultimate football challenge nonsense. You just have to accept everyone finds difficulty in different things and possibly try to weight it in your judgement.

We're not completely VS the same page at all, it's just that awareness is one thing, stats boost is another. I just don't believe about stats boost, more mental boost, remember that there was a mental stats before "disappeared", so i supposed it's now something introduced and common, hidden, no choice to remove it.

Also i agree it's an issue regarding description, some use it as CPU cheat, etc., well i don't see proof since i play so i put it in "possible yes, but i don't feel it and there's already enough randomness to add a X factor"

I believe much more in awareness boost yes: as a non exhaustive example i saw fast building with player who got hard to move and do what they want, but intelligently recreated : like we sometimes do as we really really want to score and sometimes when we can (it's not like you can do it all the time) up your level of concentration and it pays : you score.
Edit:
Well, just that they didn't found by exploring the game core a random stuff line... But in Fifa, there was one line with that factor "if X does X". And PES is way more turned in every ways possible than Fifa.

There's hiddens stats too, from a guys who worked on database we don't even know (growth type still exist, sad we can't even modify that or modders didn't found it) aswell as 4 or 5 hidden stats (Covering and Technical Kicking i remember, two other i think, from PES 2019, one showed up as "Agression")

I also agree with all respect that mods doesn't really change stuffs, or change one thing but unbalance another so... I think the vanilla game is the best to play, latest patch on PES 2021 and 2019. Not 2020 through for a reason i explained already.

Last edited:
Believe it or not : on my PS2 games (PES5 and 2008) there's less midfield battle overall than in your match.
Been a long time i watched or played a PS4 game so i got some recoil lol, well the way i play there's less, but more misses > direct play.
Now that i play more those games, i can say it / i will receive tomatoes / there's more midfield battle, physical and tactical in PES 2019-21 than in PS2.
It's kinda harder sometimes to found a place for a long shoot (a good one, not a Duck Hunt shoot)

Don't remember on 2017, but the physical algorithms added plays a lot on it. I didn't dare saying that in the past or tons of nostal-blind fans would fall on me. As enjoyable those games were, there was also issues! We just don't care as > deal with it (black glasses on my nose) and the fun we got take took the advantage.

Flanks were the flaws, passing at the wrong person was and it's not a matter of stats (BUT you can resolve it by playing with analog, but i don't care and stick to good old D-Pad), fortunately it's hard to score from header.
Well not in WE9 as it's closed everywhere worst than the lockdown, a bit less in PES 5 and 2008 (PS2 and PC, they said no Teamvision in PS2 so i suppose it's just AI inspired from WE9), but in all other games you got to settle tactics just for having lateral-backs usefull to something else than overlap in attack.
How many guys on tournament settled their SB to CB... Everyone practically, except when you got a Duo of Def killers or 3/5 defs.

But there's midfield battle on PS2, that's sure, just less. Also, less than WE9 but it's an anomaly in terms of defence like we said in the past when PES 5 was out and "too offensive" for relatively used to play that game since ISS pro evo 1.

Sometimes WE9 is like a game where you have to make a pass to the opposite team then they do the same to you during 45 seconds lol. ping pong passing but with the opponent 😂

Last edited:
I was mad about scripts too. But then some wise guy said me: "so don't play on legend. What is more important to you: to prove someone your skill or to enjoy the game?"

I lowered difficulty to professional and boom! Football looks like football now! AI is still challenging, but scripts are way less noticable. And I got more time on tactics and combinations instead constant gameplay abusing in desperate tries to overcheat AI.

You can use this advice too :)

I was mad about scripts too. But then some wise guy said me: "so don't play on legend. What is more important to you: to prove someone your skill or to enjoy the game?"

I lowered difficulty to professional and boom! Football looks like football now! AI is still challenging, but scripts are way less noticable. And I got more time on tactics and combinations instead constant gameplay abusing in desperate tries to overcheat AI.

You can use this advice too :)
Have you tried Top Player? How is your experience with that difficulty?

For me top player in pes 18 or 19 feels like superstar in 20 or 21. But after playing it so many times that thing is a past, now i no longer having hard time playing TP or Superstar in 18/19.

I've been having some nice games with PES 2019 Master League playing at -1 speed, Top Player, with this gameplay dt18. :)
(credit goes to @aninazare24 thanks for this nice gameplay!)

I've felt that all the matches I've played so far have yielded fair results, and I also like the pacing of the gameplay.

Last edited:
2019 was almost the perfect game for me. Just the AI cannot defend whatsoever so fixed cursor is a no go in that game.
2018 got boring real quick. Just the way the AI played perfect tiki taka, no fouls, no tempo etc. At least that's how I remember it.
2020 had issues and I ended up not playing it all that long.
2021 is the first one of these games I played on PC so I have had the benefit of mods. It's thanks to said mods, I think, that my experience has been more positive than it otherwise would have been.

2021 is ok. 2019 was almost perfect but had one fatal flaw. 2018 and 2020, I'd have no desire to revisit.

When I do play these days, it's either 2021 or 2017.

This thread is an interesting read, wondering if any of the regulars could perhaps offer some guidance. :)))

I recently reverted to PES 19 as I much prefer its fast and responsive gameplay in comparison to the two games that followed. I'm using Smoke Patch to update the squads/kits etc. which has been a god send but the transfers are now out of date and I'm horrified to discover that they've now abandoned support for PES titles and will be focusing purely on their own iteration of the game called "Football Life 2023". The trouble is, it's built using PES 21 therefore no use to me as it's the slow, sluggish and clumsy gameplay I don't like.

Are any of you aware of an up-to-date Smoke Patch alternative for PES 19? Something similar which will overhaul all the transfers/kits/likenesses in one simple, collective install?

I see plenty people here suggesting gameplay mods for PES 21... If the above isn't possible I'd be willing to mod PES 21 if there's something out there that could render player dribbling and responsiveness much like it was in PES 19.

Many thanks!

Just ordered PES2020 disc version from bol.com for a mere 11 euro, couldn't help myself. Curious how 2020 v1.0 holds up against 2021SU (which i still enjoy very much). I just want to experience a glimpse again of that mesmerising little extra bit again that the PES2020 demo contained.

Last edited:
Just ordered PES2020 disc version from bol.com for a mere 11 euro, couldn't help myself. Curious how 2020 v1.0 holds up against 2021SU (which i still enjoy very much). I just want to experience a glimpse again of that mesmerising little extra bit of freedom of the ball again that the PES2020 demo contained.
Did you like it?

Did you like it?
It's interesting. Both games offer something different and they can actually happily reside next to each other. 2020 is a lot more laid back, nearly no pressure from the CPU and players are a lot lighter and responsive, with less inertia so you can get out of a tricky situation more easily. The referee is also more prone to give you a freekick if you do happen to lose it. The player in possession definitely has an advantage and this gives each game a more playful feeling.

To illustrate, If the PES2020 gameplay would be a game mode in 2021 it would be called testimonial or recreational match. Where 2021 can sometimes feel like 'work', especially on the higher levels, it is nice to have an alternative when you are tired and not up for the challenge.

Will need to test this but i can also imagine 2020 v1.0 being more fun for a casual PvP match. Yet for a more serious tournament setting, 2021 would be a better fit because it is a lot more refined. Overall, I think i would still rate 2021 a bit higher but 2020 feels fun and fresh in a different and more arcade kind of way, less refinement but more freedom as a trade-off.

It's interesting. Both games offer something different and they can actually happily reside next to each other. 2020 is a lot more laid back, nearly no pressure from the CPU and players are a lot lighter and responsive, with less inertia so you can get out of a tricky situation more easily. The referee is also more prone to give you a freekick if you do happen to lose it. The player in possession definitely has an advantage and this gives each game a more playful feeling.

To illustrate, If the PES2020 gameplay would be a game mode in 2021 it would be called testimonial or recreational match. Where 2021 can sometimes feel like 'work', especially on the higher levels, it is nice to have an alternative when you are tired and not up for the challenge.

Will need to test this but i can also imagine 2020 v1.0 being more fun for a casual PvP match. Yet for a more serious tournament setting, 2021 would be a better fit because it is a lot more refined. Overall, I think i would still rate 2021 a bit higher but 2020 feels fun and fresh in a different and more arcade kind of way, less refinement but more freedom as a trade-off.
Ironically enough, PES 2020 final version, has less freedom than 1.0 and PES 2021, but more emphasis to physicallity and slower overall tempo. The passing lanes are almost not contained by the CPU, in 2021 the defending AI is more aggresive, meaning that their fixing faster their positioning & footplanting and intercept more passes.

In 2020 final version, it is more easy to transfer the ball around the pitch, using only :x: passing.

Also , i recenlty watched a PES 2020 DEMO video on Youtube, and i am still thinking if i will download it from my PS4 library, the DEMO version, is even more free, and the R-stick close dribbling is working as Iniesta inspired it, in the development process. ON 2020 and 2021 final versions, close dribbling with R-stick, in Superstar Level and above, is like giving for free the ball to CPU.

FInally, it was negative criticised the amount of fouls given by the referee, on 2020 DEMO and 1.0, but given the attrocius tackles that are blatanlty fouls and the referee denies them, i conclude to preffer the over-strict referee, than the lenient referee with the late colission detection.

Just to mention, i am one of the very few people, that do still like even the PES 2020 final version, despite its flaws.

P.S.: I cannot still decide if i like more PES 2021 or 2020 final versions. Both games have obvious pros and cons , in my eyes always.

Back
Top Bottom