PES 2018 vs 2019 vs 2020 vs 2021?

Well until now 5 people have given a complete chart. The results until now, by Mario Kart evaluation are:
PositionPES versionPoints
1stPES 201931.pts
2ndPES 201828.pts
3rdPES 202125.pts
4thPES 202011.pts
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have been playing Pes 2018 for four years because from 2019 onwards the decline started (which led to eFootball).
Last month I tried to adapt to Pes 2021, nice graphics, lots of things with the sider, but it's not fun! slow and cumbersome. Finally the updated SP patch came out and I happily returned to 2018! I started a new master I have no more thoughts.
When you reach a high Team Spirit level, fun is guaranteed. Here are some of my old actions
What difficulty are you on mate? I've tried very hard, but on Superstar 2018 and 2019 are almost unplayable for me. :(

Well until now 5 people have given a complete chart. The results until now, by Mario Kart evaluation are:
1stPES 201931.pts
2ndPES 201828.pts
3rdPES 202125.pts
4thPES 202011.pts
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What difficulty are you on mate? I've tried very hard, but on Superstar 2018 and 2019 are almost unplayable for me. :(
Superstar. I don't even consider legend, too many scripts.
If you have difficulty, start with Champion and stay with this difficulty, for 1, 2 years of Master L. Then you move on to superstar and you will have no problem

Superstar. I don't even consider legend, too many scripts.
If you have difficulty, start with Champion and stay with this difficulty, for 1, 2 years of Master L. Then you move on to superstar and you will have no problem
I've tried millions of times. A lot hit and miss ML save test. My final state is, TopPlayer is totally un-challenging, win every match 3-0 with 70% ball domination,then on Superstar and i am playing Tetris level 99 against AI. It is either i win 1-0 or i loose 2-0, 99% of time. I am talking about hundreds of multiple season runs, usually play 5+ seasons and hitting TS of 93+.

It must be a personal thing on me, regarding my adaptability and skills. Probably this game is not for me on Superstar.

I am at 1000+ playing hours now and keep tryin' :)

Last edited:
Gotta say, PES19 was patched into a very good game and probably my fave in recent years.

I'd love to find a recent option file for PS4 but I can't find one. You'd have thought with all the editors out there, something would be knocking about.

1stPES 201931.pts
2ndPES 201828.pts
3rdPES 202125.pts
4thPES 202011.pts

Wow...was not expecting 19 out on top.

Is it much better than 18?

My experience with 19.
AI always plays it down the wing ,low cross in ,volley top shelf ,which you can't defend!
Rubbish game.
Might look different on pc with mods ,but so does every other game.

Though I enjoyed league mode which played very good Vs ML

My experience with 19.
AI always plays it down the wing ,low cross in ,volley top shelf ,which you can't defend!
Rubbish game.
Might look different on pc with mods ,but so does every other game.

Though I enjoyed league mode which played very good Vs ML
Sometimes I wish they kept the PES 17 AI. I feel like it's the best AI since fox engine.

I played more than 20 games of Pes 20 ML ,and Vs 19 which is a very dull game AI wise ,it's still better than Pes 20.

What gets me with Pes 20 is that the AI never dribbles ,hardly ever shoot outside the box (same for 19) but the backline never ever breaks up or makes mistakes ,if they do it ,the CPU quickly make sure that the hum controlled players fail to pass correctly.

I didn't have one single breakaway Vs the CPU in over 20 games.

Though I enjoyed playing Pes 20 (very tough) it's a really bad game.

Tried a ML game on my Roma save (Pes 18) regardless of issues there ,it's so responsive ,and dribbling so good ,miles better than Pes 20 on the ball.

I'm giving Pes 19 a spin as we speak ,let's see how that stands up Vs the others.
And this is ML or league mode , exhibition isn't really interesting since it doesn't say anything about the game really.

I played more than 20 games of Pes 20 ML ,and Vs 19 which is a very dull game AI wise ,it's still better than Pes 20.

What gets me with Pes 20 is that the AI never dribbles ,hardly ever shoot outside the box (same for 19) but the backline never ever breaks up or makes mistakes ,if they do it ,the CPU quickly make sure that the hum controlled players fail to pass correctly.

Tried a ML game on my Roma save (Pes 18) regardless of issues there ,it's so responsive ,and dribbling so good ,miles better than Pes 20 on the ball.

I'm giving Pes 19 a spin as we speak ,let's see how that stands up Vs the others.
And this is ML or league mode , exhibition isn't really interesting since it doesn't say anything about the game really.

I would say PES 20 is the worst game in the series next to PES 08. I find PES 14 much more enjoyable.

I would say PES 20 is the worst game in the series next to PES 08. I find PES 14 much more enjoyable.
Me on console , Pes 14 is unplayable ,I know it can be fixed on pc ,and there is a good game underneath ,but blurry (feels like 10fps) and a bit unresponsive.
Though ,could have been good.
20 Vs 21 can't be much difference though?

Me on console , Pes 14 is unplayable ,I know it can be fixed on pc ,and there is a good game underneath ,but blurry (feels like 10fps) and a bit unresponsive.
Though ,could have been good.
20 Vs 21 can't be much difference though?
21 is slightly better responsive wise and the AI doesn't constantly ping pong pass like in 20. There is much more variety. But ultimately, they aren't as fun as PES 19 for me. Even modded. PES 20 and 21 have perfect AI and stats doesn't matter that much.

21 is slightly better responsive wise and the AI doesn't constantly ping pong pass like in 20. There is much more variety. But ultimately, they aren't as fun as PES 19 for me. Even modded. PES 20 and 21 have perfect AI and stats doesn't matter that much.
Yeah I've been struggling with Pes 20 ,though it's some sort of perverse joy I get out of playing it.

Well, as i've said before i can't really understand this statement. While i don't want to start a debate, and despite i am the only person i prefer 2020 gameplay-wise over 2021, lets ignore this, i can't understand how someone hates 2020 but likes 2021. For me, below the micro-diferences, better responsiveness, etc , it it the same core of gameplay.

I can understand someone, hating both games, loving both games, but hate the one and love the other or vise-versa, i can't really feel it!

I mean i don't see so distant differences that define the one game from the other, like night and day.

It is more a duo-game like PES 5/6, PES 2012/2013, PES 2015/2016. All play different, but undernearth , all have same or very similar core.

As for the ping pong passing, to be honest i feel the same annoyed in both games, but i see another edge, IE in 2021 when the CPU wants to waste time, they start ping-pong passing in their defense line, and good luck to steal the ball back, it is almost impossible. While in 2020 thanks to the mud-effect and the less responsiveness by both sides, it is like a "blessing", there are more possibilities to claim the ball back...

Just a random detail, boths games have serious flaws.

20/21 marked a big shift in responsiveness being tuned down for “realism” and AI becomes way more sluggish.
I’m currently giving 19 a go, ands it’s way more responsive and fun. Not without its issues of course, it seems I go through phases of each iteration and change I find something becomes too annoying to ignore.

20/21 marked a big shift in responsiveness being tuned down for “realism” and AI becomes way more sluggish.
I’m currently giving 19 a go, ands it’s way more responsive and fun. Not without its issues of course, it seems I go through phases of each iteration and change I find something becomes too annoying to ignore.
Yeah there's always something that is too hard to ignore.
I played both 18 and 19 yesterday ,both good in their own way.
Kinda got stuck with Pes 20 ,despite its flaws think I'll stick to it.
I'm currently at a low TS on my ML (Pes 20) and on top of that a very bad team ,so I'm kinda enjoying the challenge

Gave 19 a few league games a go tonight (old save)
What a difference in responsiveness.
But the biggest thing that impressed me was ball control and dribbling ,that got lost completely on 20+21 ,that dribbling is awful

Still, for me PES 2019 is the scripted PES game ever. That was the pick of the Konami's gameplay manipulation even offline but mostly for all modes linked to MyClub.
Most of time in PES 2019 you do not play the game, the game plays you .
After playing around 30 games on my Pes 20 ML ,I'd say it's as scripted there ,even more tbh.

I based most of my Pes 19 info from back when it came out ,feels like a very different game now , especially with tactics setup.

Did anyone managed to port PES 17 AI into PES 18? PES 18 has the best gameplay framework but the worst AI in existence.

Did anyone managed to port PES 17 AI into PES 18? PES 18 has the best gameplay framework but the worst AI in existence.
you can try to import the values of the dt18 file (data folder) of Pes 2017 to those of Pes 2018.

When you say PES 2018 AI is worst, you mean the constant lobbed trhough ball attacking, and the extreme CPU cheating by neglecting stats, or the general Inteligence? Like decision making.

Cause regarding decision making, CPU dribbling and variation, when the game allows and they don't just hoof the ball straight forward, if find it one of the best in the most recent PES, from 2017 onwards, maybe even better than 2017.

Epecially the AI controlled teammates of mine, i love how they move to empty space in the final 3rd when i control the ball in the flanks. They usually pick very effective paths and act as HOLE-PLAYERS.

Very rare a teammate of mine, will bounce on me, or on another teammate of mine. Their awareness also is pretty awesome. IE in 2020 and 2021, they usually can't control , when i make a fast short pass with very little power gauge, they seem to struggle to locate where the ball is and let it pass out for throw in, and when i dribble in the flank and they go for the overlap, they often tend to stay in front of my trajectory like a dummy, blocking my potential cross, or still standing so we collide loosing the ball.

I think PES 2018 is like PES 2017 V2, feels like steroid version of PES 2017. Now, what kills PES 2018 for me is the player switching, that thing was awful also the lack of mod support really don't help this game.

Think there's a bit to much space on 18 ,that's probably my main concern (with physicality being bad) otherwise AI and CPU controlled team mates are top notch ,dribbling and ball physics also great.
Ive seen AI behaviour on both Pes 17 and 18 I haven't seen in other games ,like skill moves and AI taking shots from 30 m all of a sudden.

Last edited:
When you say PES 2018 AI is worst, you mean the constant lobbed trhough ball attacking, and the extreme CPU cheating by neglecting stats, or the general Inteligence? Like decision making.

Cause regarding decision making, CPU dribbling and variation, when the game allows and they don't just hoof the ball straight forward, if find it one of the best in the most recent PES, from 2017 onwards, maybe even better than 2017.

Epecially the AI controlled teammates of mine, i love how they move to empty space in the final 3rd when i control the ball in the flanks. They usually pick very effective paths and act as HOLE-PLAYERS.

Very rare a teammate of mine, will bounce on me, or on another teammate of mine. Their awareness also is pretty awesome. IE in 2020 and 2021, they usually can't control , when i make a fast short pass with very little power gauge, they seem to struggle to locate where the ball is and let it pass out for throw in, and when i dribble in the flank and they go for the overlap, they often tend to stay in front of my trajectory like a dummy, blocking my potential cross, or still standing so we collide loosing the ball.

I don't mind the constant hoofing as I can counteract that pretty easily. But it's the fact that the CPU in PES 2018 ignores passing stat for short passes. All teams can pass around ping pong with extreme accuracy. Only certain teams like Man City, Bayern and Barcelona show be allowed to play close to that. Not Sunderland, West Brom, etc.

I don't mind the constant hoofing as I can counteract that pretty easily. But it's the fact that the CPU in PES 2018 ignores passing stat for short passes. All teams can pass around ping pong with extreme accuracy. Only certain teams like Man City, Bayern and Barcelona show be allowed to play close to that. Not Sunderland, West Brom, etc.
Ah ok. On this i agree 1,000%.

I thought it was about general AI, which in comparison to 2020-2021 it looks superior from 100 years in the future.
After a long ML session, many months in 2020-2021, and i was adapted to a certain defensive approach "don't let them pass to the CF-pivot-shoot", i was shocked again last night.

I boot up my old 2018 ML save to play a match, Superstar difficulty, and i was caught out of surprise by the opponent Mario Goetze of BvB. He was about 30 meters away my goalpost, near the right touchline, between midfield and his last third. While i was trying to anticipate a pass, like he would do 99,9% of times in 2021, he does a double touch and a cut behind and turn and shoots a bander out of 30 meters away, that caught me completelly unprepared!
Thankfully the woodwork did the defending, cause my GK was like a statue!

Keep in mind that i experienced exaclty the same move by Goetze, about 1 or 2 years ago, when i was playing an ML save. Then i was familiar only with PES 2019/2020 CPU attacking patterns.

Well in the flaws, apart from the obvious bad/no-physicallity, lasser passing/backheels, i noticed again on Superstar, after many years in Top Player, that CPU GKs become even more Supermen, leaving you the only option, to either tap-in in empty net, or travel inside the goal post, carrying the ball, or do a header after a cross. Anything else is super limited to one goal, every sun eclipse.

@Topaz also give a hint, how do you fight hoofing? Cause in my case, even after a 40-meter lobbed through ball, and due to no physicality i cannot disposses them by body charge. The only way is to travel around them with super-cancel and place my self , behind them, between them and my goalpost.

Also the way a 60 OPR striker can stick the ball with super-glue and land it with one touch, despite the ball travelling speed, resulting a world class control, is something else!

Ah ok. On this i agree 1,000%.

I thought it was about general AI, which in comparison to 2020-2021 it looks superior from 100 years in the future.
After a long ML session, many months in 2020-2021, and i was adapted to a certain defensive approach "don't let them pass to the CF-pivot-shoot", i was shocked again last night.

I boot up my old 2018 ML save to play a match, Superstar difficulty, and i was caught out of surprise by the opponent Mario Goetze of BvB. He was about 30 meters away my goalpost, near the right touchline, between midfield and his last third. While i was trying to anticipate a pass, like he would do 99,9% of times in 2021, he does a double touch and a cut behind and turn and shoots a bander out of 30 meters away, that caught me completelly unprepared!
Thankfully the woodwork did the defending, cause my GK was like a statue!

Keep in mind that i experienced exaclty the same move by Goetze, about 1 or 2 years ago, when i was playing an ML save. Then i was familiar only with PES 2019/2020 CPU attacking patterns.

Well in the flaws, apart from the obvious bad/no-physicallity, lasser passing/backheels, i noticed again on Superstar, after many years in Top Player, that CPU GKs become even more Supermen, leaving you the only option, to either tap-in in empty net, or travel inside the goal post, carrying the ball, or do a header after a cross. Anything else is super limited to one goal, every sun eclipse.
After playing PES 2018 in Top Player, I am enjoying it more than PES 2019. The backheel/ping pong passing is toned down a lot in Top Player and allows attributes to shine. Unlike PES 2019, not every team plays deep defensive line so it's harder to break through an opponent. But I love the CPU dribbling and CPU doing skills. It shows the player id when certain players do the skill move and Alexis Sanchez destroyed me with his skill moves. I just love how fluid the game feels. It had the perfect balance of realism and arcade when it comes to movement. It prioritized responsiveness over realism.

@Topaz also give a hint, how do you fight hoofing? Cause in my case, even after a 40-meter lobbed through ball, and due to no physicality i cannot disposses them by body charge. The only way is to travel around them with super-cancel and place my self , behind them, between them and my goalpost.

Also the way a 60 OPR striker can stick the ball with super-glue and land it with one touch, despite the ball travelling speed, resulting a world class control, is something else!
It depends on the difficulty. I always make sure "Wing-Back" is on for my defensive tactics that way my wingers can cover the wide and my fullbacks tuck in and cover the space in the center where the hoofball normally goes. Also bad players do take very bad touch for me. But then again, I am playing with a gameplay mod that might have changed that. Players with bad first touch usually either takes a touch that goes to my keeper or they take longer to control the ball.

Back
Top Bottom