PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I'm mostly a online player and what you describe is crucial there as well. Even more so maybe. Give tactics some time and you will be rewarded. I'm waiting for the patch and DLC but then I'm gonna perfect 3 teams (isn't weird we can't have more tactics saved??) tactics and immerse myself online. Atalanta is surely one of them, love Papu Gomez.:)

Btw Rock. I'm not gonna mention the Bajen - Peking game...;)
Ha ha you're a kind man sir:)
Congrats mate
Yes I'm waiting for a DLC myself,even though I'm editing the teams in Serie A to Play a bit more compact.
Have Atalanta in my next ML game

Haha thanks! Camera is Custom:
zoom 1, height 0, angle 0

Thanks! Another question though:
When making custom camera settings like zoom, height and angle doesn't it make a difference what default camera you start customizing from? I imagine your setting would look different depending on whether you start from wide or dynamic wide for example.

Thanks! Another question though:
When making custom camera settings like zoom, height and angle doesn't it make a difference what default camera you start customizing from? I imagine your setting would look different depending on whether you start from wide or dynamic wide for example.
Looks like pitchside 1 - 0 - 0 from the video!

So I was playing on a different setting with my controller. I disabled the next player cursor and I must say the gameplay has changed immensely. I found myself being able to player switch better, pass better, and more importantly play better defense against AI. No more frequent lobbying and I can intercept passes more. As a result I have been on a winning streak against Top player which came to an end when in a game where I got a red card and conceived a penalty. Also I noticed that I am getting some fouls by the AI. I will continue to try this new setting out and report back but if folks want to try please let me know. I am of course playing Xbox 1

@Anth James

Nice bit of gameplay there, great lobbed ball to set up the first goal!
What camera angle is that in the video?

How do you mean less varied? Animations?

Less varied and less useful. I will explaing myself: Timo Werner is making a run through 2 defenders, and Ceballos want to pass him the ball. With PA0, the pass will be in a straight line, while on PA1, Ceballos will introduce swerve, curve, I don't know the English word, so the ball goes first to the right of the defender, and then to the left. That's imposible to make on PA0 :/... I tested it yesterday. The game plays much better for me.

Less varied and less useful. I will explaing myself: Timo Werner is making a run through 2 defenders, and Ceballos want to pass him the ball. With PA0, the pass will be in a straight line, while on PA1, Ceballos will introduce swerve, curve, I don't know the English word, so the ball goes first to the right of the defender, and then to the left. That's imposible to make on PA0 :/... I tested it yesterday. The game plays much better for me.
Advanced throughball is what you’re after.

Well I think Konami have succeeded in advancing this game towards a more sim-style game.

Pes 2017 while having still great balanced gameplay (defensive vs attack) lacks in the player collisions, where Pes 2018 allows more control in the tight tussles. Also, able to build more fluent gameplay in tight spots which is a product of this.

It's like there is more 'resolution' for the user to control players, or more player control and less game engine interference. Pes 2017 player movement can seem kinda clunky and rigid in comparison regards to gameplay.

Defending has been the main challenge for me, and it seems many others. I also thought player switching was the problem, but Ive concluded that it more about learning Pes 2018 defending and not using all of the Pes 2017 defending. Once I started using the new 'next player cursor' indicator I'm starting to like it and it's making more sense. It allows you to basically control two defenders.

I dont know what this player switching patch will do, but hopefully this baseline is not changed and it just slightly tweaked. It works fine for me as is. However, will still have to make some positioning changes.

I don't get it. Everyone including Adam complains about player switching and that it's broken but the only problem I have is in Co op mode where it a bit messy more so because it's 3 players trying to select a player.

I am also really enjoying the secondary cursor thing that shows you who your next player is going to be. It's a great tool for defending.

It's because Ceballos has the "outside curler"- skill. The passes you describe is contextual, the better players can use them when the opportunity comes along. I see little flick passes and players using the outside of the foot often when using manual passing, but always with the better players. Veratti (he has weighted pass, outside curler, low lofted pass as skills so he is brilliant) for an example is a joy to control in that regard.

The stats in manual when it comes to passing mean less but instead the player traits/skills is more important, which, for me balance the passing.

For me PA 1 is to assisted in the way that less gifted players can make quick, (almost always) perfect passes to often, the margin of error is too small.

I'm not saying manual passing is perfect (my hope would be somewhere in between manual and PA 1, maybe the patch...oh never mind...) but between two evils it's the one that makes the game most realistic imo. :)

Haven't bought the game yet, becuase of all the negative posts I've been reading here regarding broken ML and AI always play the same way (lofted through balls). Since I'm mostly an offline player this bother me a lot and I fear the game will get boring pretty quickly if all the teams play the same.

Now that the game has been in stores for a couple of weeks, I just wanna check if people thinks this is an issue or are you still enjoying the game?

Well I think Konami have succeeded in advancing this game towards a more sim-style game.

Pes 2017 while having still great balanced gameplay (defensive vs attack) lacks in the player collisions, where Pes 2018 allows more control in the tight tussles. Also, able to build more fluent gameplay in tight spots which is a product of this.

It's like there is more 'resolution' for the user to control players, or more player control and less game engine interference. Pes 2017 player movement can seem kinda clunky and rigid in comparison regards to gameplay.

Defending has been the main challenge for me, and it seems many others. I also thought player switching was the problem, but Ive concluded that it more about learning Pes 2018 defending and not using all of the Pes 2017 defending. Once I started using the new 'next player cursor' indicator I'm starting to like it and it's making more sense. It allows you to basically control two defenders.

I dont know what this player switching patch will do, but hopefully this baseline is not changed and it just slightly tweaked. It works fine for me as is. However, will still have to make some positioning changes.

more sim style ??? i dont consider tiki taka perfect back heels from ridicolus angles sim style, they need to sort that shit out in the next patch if there serious.

Haven't bought the game yet, becuase of all the negative posts I've been reading here regarding broken ML and AI always play the same way (lofted through balls). Since I'm mostly an offline player this bother me a lot and I fear the game will get boring pretty quickly if all the teams play the same.

Now that the game has been in stores for a couple of weeks, I just wanna check if people thinks this is an issue or are you still enjoying the game?

I'm actually loving the game at the moment and haven't experienced the constant long ball to the wing problem. .if a teams set up is 4-3-3 of course they will use the wings. . it also depends on how you set up your defense, I'm using a deep defense and rarely get caught out by a ball over the top ,there is a lot of scripting in Ml certainly but I have seen plenty of variation in the way the A.I attacks and some of it has been amazing .. of course there will be repetition just as a lot of users play the same way all of the time. . . .the deeper I go into the gameplay the more I see new things happening . . .at the end of the day it's up to the user as to how the game plays.

Dont get me wrong, there are annoyances in the game... lofted through balls, yes it happens... its it constant? Nope... is it overpowered/gamebreaking...Nope. You can defend against it and the AI will not always attack that way.

Ping pong passing... is it there? Yes... does it look silly, yes it does at times as its not in context.... is it constant? Nope... is it overpowered/gamebreaking... Nope. Again you can defend against it and its not all the time, it happens and it will grate you I cant deny that. BUT its not like as soon as the AI get the ball, they ping pong up field with backheels, to then loft it into hte corner before scoring.

There is variety in there, those 2 things are part of that... however they stick out like a sore thumb as they probably dont look the most realistic (back hell passing especially). I think the gameplay is that good, thats the reason why these smaller annoyances are more pronounced as with a bit of tuning, the rewards will be greater.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Fregens whole response and would just like to add that I personally use basic throughball. I've never really understood why most full manual players consider advanced through ball as a must because in the game's settings when you place the "curser" on normal throughball the explanation at the top of the screen says something along the lines of "pass support will be reflected accordingly". And when you get into a game throughballs on those settings are definitely more free in terms of power and direction than PA1. At the same time normal throughballs on PA0 behave like throughballs in the sense that they slow down quicker than normal passes but whether they also swerve like on PA1 I'm not sure to be completely honest. I will have to test this...

I understand your concern but in terms of overall gameplay variation I would say that what you gain by playing manual greatly outweighs what you might loose on the throughballs. On manual passing (and shooting) it's like a whole new game opens up with more varied animations and randomness because balls are not played straight to players feet and players have to react to that. I think the AI even make more fouls because balls end up in some in between places where the AI will sometimes go for it with clumsy tackles.

I cannot recommend manual enough if you are looking for some more depth in gameplay. It really is beyond me why Konami haven't introduced a semi-manual setting in the game because it would make the game look and feel so much more true to life than PA1 and it would be a great balance between the control of the game being too easy (PA1) and too hard (manual).

PS: check out what you still get on manual settings.

Iniesta with a throughball slowing down perfectly for Dembélé:

Suarez with a throughball that's actually just executed with a regular x-pass. Pretty shure this would be impossible on PA1:

It's because Ceballos has the "outside curler"- skill. The passes you describe is contextual, the better players can use them when the opportunity comes along. I see little flick passes and players using the outside of the foot often when using manual passing, but always with the better players. Veratti (he has weighted pass, outside curler, low lofted pass as skills so he is brilliant) for an example is a joy to control in that regard.

The stats in manual when it comes to passing mean less but instead the player traits/skills is more important, which, for me balance the passing.

For me PA 1 is to assisted in the way that less gifted players can make quick, (almost always) perfect passes to often, the margin of error is too small.

I'm not saying manual passing is perfect (my hope would be somewhere in between manual and PA 1, maybe the patch...oh never mind...) but between two evils it's the one that makes the game most realistic imo. :)

Yeah, I know Ceballos has that skill card, but he never made that pass on manual with me. Yeah, I can see that flicks with high skilled passers, too, but when I played PA1 I saw some passes I had never seen on PA0.

When I make a high throughball, Kroos, for example, should make it weighted every now and then, and with PA0 I don't see this.

Yeah, PA1 may be too assisted, but is more varied and "beautiful".

I'm pretty much in agreement with Fregens whole response and would just like to add that I personally use basic throughball. I've never really understood why most full manual players consider advanced through ball as a must because in the game's settings when you place the "curser" on normal throughball the explanation at the top of the screen says something along the lines of "pass support will be reflected accordingly". And when you get into a game throughballs on those settings are definitely more free in terms of power and direction than PA1. At the same time normal throughballs on PA0 behave like throughballs in the sense that they slow down quicker than normal passes but whether they also swerve like on PA1 I'm not sure to be completely honest. I will have to test this...

I understand your concern but in terms of overall gameplay variation I would say that what you gain by playing manual greatly outweighs what you might loose on the throughballs. On manual passing (and shooting) it's like a whole new game opens up with more varied animations and randomness because balls are not played straight to players feet and players have to react to that. I think the AI even make more fouls because balls end up in some in between places where the AI will sometimes go for it with clumsy tackles.

I cannot recommend manual enough if you are looking for some more depth in gameplay. It really is beyond me why Konami haven't introduced a semi-manual setting in the game because it would make the game look and feel so much more true to life than PA1 and it would be a great balance between the control of the game being too easy (PA1) and too hard (manual).

Yeah, I know how the game plays on manual, but I still see less variation than PA1 + Adv. Shooting. And I tried the full manual package for hours, only to see if I could to the same things with PA1 + Adv. And I couldn't. And I'm not that hardcore to play full manual: yeah, the manual pass feels more rewarding, but it got outdated quickly for me ("quickly", after 50h+ I mean).

I never had more variations on manual shooting, while on Advanced I can put the ball wherever I want; even I can make the ball go far, far away, not like on PES 2017.

And totally yes: we need semi-manual setting for passing.

Yeah, I know Ceballos has that skill card, but he never made that pass on manual with me. Yeah, I can see that flicks with high skilled passers, too, but when I played PA1 I saw some passes I had never seen on PA0.

When I make a high throughball, Kroos, for example, should make it weighted every now and then, and with PA0 I don't see this.

Yeah, PA1 may be too assisted, but is more varied and "beautiful".

You a online- player? Because I think that is important to take in to account. I can't speak for offline since I don't play it but online PA1 is nothing similar to football, and variation in passing just means fast- paced- laser- guided- back heel- perfect passes. It might look beautiful, but it's zero rewarding.

I'm not criticising what your saying or your experience but for me offline and online is two very different things when we talk about manual vs PA.

Also, I have seen much variation in passing when using manual, most of the time with better teams and players though. So I can't say I agree with you on that note.

Yeah, I know how the game plays on manual, but I still see less variation than PA1 + Adv. Shooting. And I tried the full manual package for hours, only to see if I could to the same things with PA1 + Adv. And I couldn't. And I'm not that hardcore to play full manual: yeah, the manual pass feels more rewarding, but it got outdated quickly for me ("quickly", after 50h+ I mean).

I never had more variations on manual shooting, while on Advanced I can put the ball wherever I want; even I can make the ball go far, far away, not like on PES 2017.

And totally yes: we need semi-manual setting for passing.

Hey Ianni. I find really interesting what you're saying about adv. shooting. So they actually changed it compared to 2017? Does it give this significant more freedom? I haven't even tried it thinking it was the same as last year..

I don't get it. Everyone including Adam complains about player switching and that it's broken but the only problem I have is in Co op mode where it a bit messy more so because it's 3 players trying to select a player.

I am also really enjoying the secondary cursor thing that shows you who your next player is going to be. It's a great tool for defending.

Maybe you don't play manual passing, but i can tell you in manual passing cursor switch is really broken. It choses wrong players all the time if you make a passage longer than few meters, i'm adapting, but it shouldn't be like this.

Anyway, it's so frustrating reading that Fifa released few days ago is already receiving a patch for its issues, while Pes released almost a month ago and we are still waiting for an extremely important patch.

I know, smaller team and all, but they really should be quicker than this.

Hey Ianni. I find really interesting what you're saying about adv. shooting. So they actually changed it compared to 2017? Does it give this significant more freedom? I haven't even tried it thinking it was the same as last year..

Yeah, it's even impressive to say the least. I can't score a long-range goal to this day, even tho I try everygame, but the ball goes high almost everytime, because you need to adjust it perfectly: the situation, the body position, etc. You should give it a try!

You a online- player? Because I think that is important to take in to account. I can't speak for offline since I don't play it but online PA1 is nothing similar to football, and variation in passing just means fast- paced- laser- guided- back heel- perfect passes. It might look beautiful, but it's zero rewarding.

I'm not criticising what your saying or your experience but for me offline and online is two very different things when we talk about manual vs PA.

Also, I have seen much variation in passing when using manual, most of the time with better teams and players though. So I can't say I agree with you on that note.

I only play ML. And PA1 on ML means the players can make the ball go higher of the pitch, because on manual almost every pass is sticked to the pitch, and always go straight. The only passes on manual with some curve are the high passes when made by a good player. But the throughballs are all the same, being this player Ceballos or not.

When I talk about "beauty" is because there are more animations, more variety. I don't think they are fast-paced every time. They are too assisted, that's true.

I only play ML. And PA1 on ML means the players can make the ball go higher of the pitch, because on manual almost every pass is sticked to the pitch, and always go straight. The only passes on manual with some curve are the high passes when made by a good player. But the throughballs are all the same, being this player Ceballos or not.

When I talk about "beauty" is because there are more animations, more variety. I don't think they are fast-paced every time. They are too assisted, that's true.

Ok, well then I think we just have to stop comparing. Online vs Offline is so different. The basic flaw is that PA 1 is too assisted, even if manual is less varied or not. No one of manual or PA 1 is perfect and you lose something regardless of which of them you choose (imo).

It's crazy when you know there is PA 2 and PA 3 as well.

This has been said before but the casual (online)-gamer wants to score nice looking goals and doesn't care about realism. We are the minority.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom