PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Just watched the PES evoweb review video.

Its very straight to the point where the game needs improvements, and the issues are very easily notable with clips of real gamepmay footage highlighting them. The review sounds like a proper review from a hardcore PES to hardcore pes fans, and it unfortunetly made me thinking about not getting the game yet.

Hold on.. what's these problem are you guys talking about ? To me each team playing style is quite vary. At least in Exhibition Mode. Of course it is never reached the level of perfection like real life football, but I believe this is the closest we can get to that. Just look at FIFA, they struggled with the AI decade ago and never look like solving them any sooner.

This is the issue look what happens 30sec after I switch sides to CPU and change their tactics.This is a small example of what happens with EVERY team yes I have seen some beautiful goals from the AI but that does not brush under the carpet whats really going on we need this fixed

EDIT - there where a lot more similar patterns in their attack spamming chip balls to the cf but i didnt fancy creating a bigger video for something that can be shown in 40sec

Last edited:
This is the issue look what happens 30sec after I switch sides to CPU and change their tactics.This is a small example of what happens with EVERY team yes I have seen some beautiful goals from the AI but that does not brush under the carpet whats really going on we need this fixed

EDIT - there where a lot more similar patterns in their attack spamming chip balls to the cf but i didnt fancy creating a bigger video for something that can be shown in 40sec

I see what your pointing out Saintric .. . .a change of tactics usually comes into play when the ball goes out of play. . some people don't realise that. . .the last part there is normal as the forward is the only player ahead and centre forwards do drift to the outward edges of the box to lose the centre half . . in saying that yes there should be more variation. . it's very easy to make a video of something that you find a problem with in any match. . it's when the whole match is shown that gives a bigger picture and then we can judge the frequency of a problem ..i.e I could show you a match where five fouls from the centre half are not given on my striker to prove that the fouling system is broken . ..yet six other fouls would have been awarded in the meantime during the match .. nobody denies that there are problems that need fixing. . . just like there has been in every Pes edition. . even Saint 5 and 6.

Have played this a lot now.

Exhibition games are great. No fouls or penalties but they're interesting matches.

As soon as I play Master League the game stinks. It's a mess from top to bottom.

Konami are one very strange outfit.

Have played this a lot now.

Exhibition games are great. No fouls or penalties but they're interesting matches.

As soon as I play Master League the game stinks. It's a mess from top to bottom.

Konami are one very strange outfit.

Guru Ml is designed to handicap your team at the start and play stodgy matches for 3 or 4 seasons . .thats the reality of it . .most people don't have the patience for it.

Guru Ml is designed to handicap your team at the start and play stodgy matches for 3 or 4 seasons . .thats the reality of it . .most people don't have the patience for it.
I have enjoyed Master League since the good old days of pes.

There was never this lack of fouls. Stadium, poor AI, extremely unrealistic transfer system and lack of atmosphere and obvious wing exploit before.

Konami don't care about ML anymore and it offends me because us die hard by the game every single year for last 20 years nearly.

ML is now a hollow, shallow experience. It used to be the best and go to mode in all of football gaming.

There was never this lack of fouls. Stadium, poor AI, extremely unrealistic transfer system and lack of atmosphere and obvious wing exploit before.

Konami don't care about ML anymore and it offends me because us die hard by the game every single year for last 20 years nearly.

ML is now a hollow, shallow experience. It used to be the best and go to mode in all of football gaming.

I can see your point guru. .I don't have the game yet but reports are in about the ridiculous transfer system. . .hopefully patches will improve it.

Shame about ML, haven't dived in yet, waiting to get a somewhat complete option file. Mostly played Iceland In Euro and World Cups, the opponents can be quite random, I held Argentina and France at bay for two 1-0 wins, only to get murdered by Algiers, 2-5. Still having loads of fun with it. The crazyness of goalmouth scrambles is incredibly entertaining. Even with multiple shots at the goalframe in an offense which ultimately fails, it has that old feeling where you are enjoying the game even if you don't win.
I would probably have played more CL but I tried to set up the real thing last night and it nearly drove me insane. Never mind the lack of licences but how can you even have a CL license and not have all the teams participating now in the game? Maybe this will be rectified in a dlc pack.

Wow this is what keeps this game ahead of its competition. Nice details there!

Actually, there was another edition with the wing exploit some years ago... can´t really remember wich one, but I´m sure of it. Also remember that it was fixed a bit with a patch a couple months later.

Shame about ML, haven't dived in yet, waiting to get a somewhat complete option file. Mostly played Iceland In Euro and World Cups, the opponents can be quite random, I held Argentina and France at bay for two 1-0 wins, only to get murdered by Algiers, 2-5.
Unfortunately, and I've seen this flagged on Twitter a fair few times now, that's the norm rather than "random". I'll beat Man United hands-down only to get destroyed by Burnley the week after. It feels like the best teams attack you and end up being too open, whereas the worst teams seem to have 10 in defence and then, when they get possession back, 10 in attack, and their perfect counter-attack passing cuts you into ribbons.

But I'm seeing a divide as to what people think makes a great football game. I saw this on Twitter earlier: Twitter goal

I think some people will say "wow, amazing goal, well worked", whereas I just cannot get to that conclusion. If I was the opponent I'd be furious because in my opinion, there's not a great deal of skill involved on the scorer's part (and you can't really do anything to stop it). It's just so so easy to put together passing moves that only the best teams in the world can do (with such regularity, intelligence and - most importantly - never-erring pixel-perfect accuracy), by just spamming the pass button.

And just as I stopped seeing so many lofted through-balls down the wings (playing as Newcastle in the ML, set up the wing backs to stay put) - the AI starts doing lofted through-balls through the middle instead, which always put the striker through with no defenders in-front of him. It's the same patterns over and over - and I feel no difference between my players at all.

I've seen "no game will ever be perfect" a few times but it's never been about expecting perfection for me - this year, I just feel like so much of what made PES "PES" has gone.

The goal variety went a few versions ago, but for the individuality to be gone IMO (but particularly in terms of the AI's variety of approaches depending on the team)... It feels, to me, like the "soul" we all talk about has become more of a ghost. Some of us see it, some of us don't, but nobody seems to be able to prove anything and so we all just call each other names instead...

It's apparently the first step of the next three-year cycle and that's great, but you can *really* tell. Like, the AI will run full pelt one way with the ball (like it's running for its life), put the brakes on and do a complete stop, then run absolutely full pelt again in the same direction (with nobody ever being near him).

But then, the goalkeepers are INCREDIBLE. They're unbelievable. They need no more work (other than too many palm-outs and slow-mo dives). Then, after they make a save, you'll see a defender under pressure do a calm back-heel back into his own box, which is full of strikers. Because it knows how accurate the pass will be. And then a defender sliding into a tackle will result in a simultaneous 50 yard pass that lands directly at his teammate's feet as he's running down the wing, ready to receive it as soon as the guy slid in. Then four back-heels in a row (just happened to me now, no exaggeration, and all pretty much in a straight line forward).

But the really sad thing is, I do keep whacking the "other" demo on for ten minutes and then going "it's still the better game".

All just my opinion and I know others are seeing individuality etc...

Last edited:
I'm having a blast with the Asian CL, learning from the basics to play on PA0.
I had the through ball in advanced mode but it was driving me crazy to be honest, and I have never liked the advanced shooting option, so both of those are back to basic.
I win some, I lose some (SS difficulty) and every time I'm eliminated I start from scratch, this is how the ACL has been pretty much the only offline mode I've played so far.
I unlocked Legendary difficulty and it's really amazing: no robotic gameplay, but ultra offensive from the CPU. It's fun in a way since they don't defend as good as in SS because they'll leave gaps behind human-like because of the attacking.
It's just that they are too clinical at attack, very very rarely miss a shot and they play too much through balls. Any defensive mistake will very likely become a goal for the CPU.

Ehmm I'd rather keep it on SS at least with these lesser teams, we'll see in the future.
For sure this difficulty will help for training since you have to make every possession count. After a game in Legendary you'll feel superstar a lot more playable. Recommended.

Now I'm in semifinals against Hyundai as Kashima and I've won and lost on penalties, ive scored from direct FK and it was like in the old ps2 days.. oh and that camera from behind in the FKs... geez <3

Agree with Chris Davies .. Very well put and covered a lot of genuine issues.

My ML experience so far has been weird, Big teams are selling all their stars for pittance. I'm managing an EFL side and I can sign anyone I want, Just signed Messi!!

I'm at the last part of my 2nd season and I haven't seen any free kick close to the box let alone penalties!

There's no real fatigue, injuries or suspensions effect in the game and I've been fielding pretty much the same team all year.

Don't know what to say really these are fundamentals if you expect to have a challenging and realistic experience :S

Hopefully the game is in store today otherwise the official release date is tomorrow over here. But I had a quick game on the demo last night with a modified camera setting and I'm sticking to this...(pitchside, 8-4-2) :P

But Wijnaldum hit a shot from distance which went low and wide and bounced 3-4 times and was such a thing of beauty to see that kind of shot variety haha. Assisted shooting. I hope to see more of that in the full game.

I came here to ask for some help in shooting because Im having a hard time to score from outside the box but then I read that interview with the Konami developer joke and realise thats is not only me. Play on...

Good joke by the way.

This is the closest I get to score an authentic screamer.

Edit: I think Im going to buy P Cars 2 right now.

Great game, but online speed is way too fast for me. I wish they would have left it at -1 or at the beta speed.

I have also noticed that the net sound on ball impact is louder on the Xboxone version. The players pushing the ball also has a sound effect, however the PS4 version you hardly hear these sound effects.

Very good game though.

Unfortunately, and I've seen this flagged on Twitter a fair few times now, that's the norm rather than "random". I'll beat Man United hands-down only to get destroyed by Burnley the week after. It feels like the best teams attack you and end up being too open, whereas the worst teams seem to have 10 in defence and then, when they get possession back, 10 in attack, and their perfect counter-attack passing cuts you into ribbons.

But I'm seeing a divide as to what people think makes a great football game. I saw this on Twitter earlier: Twitter goal

I think some people will say "wow, amazing goal, well worked", whereas I just cannot get to that conclusion. If I was the opponent I'd be furious because in my opinion, there's not a great deal of skill involved on the scorer's part (and you can't really do anything to stop it). It's just so so easy to put together passing moves that only the best teams in the world can do (with such regularity, intelligence and - most importantly - never-erring pixel-perfect accuracy), by just spamming the pass button.

And just as I stopped seeing so many lofted through-balls down the wings (playing as Newcastle in the ML, set up the wing backs to stay put) - the AI starts doing lofted through-balls through the middle instead, which always put the striker through with no defenders in-front of him. It's the same patterns over and over - and I feel no difference between my players at all.

I've seen "no game will ever be perfect" a few times but it's never been about expecting perfection for me - this year, I just feel like so much of what made PES "PES" has gone.

The goal variety went a few versions ago, but for the individuality to be gone IMO (but particularly in terms of the AI's variety of approaches depending on the team)... It feels, to me, like the "soul" we all talk about has become more of a ghost. Some of us see it, some of us don't, but nobody seems to be able to prove anything and so we all just call each other names instead...

It's apparently the first step of the next three-year cycle and that's great, but you can *really* tell. Like, the AI will run full pelt one way with the ball (like it's running for its life), put the brakes on and do a complete stop, then run absolutely full pelt again in the same direction (with nobody ever being near him).

But then, the goalkeepers are INCREDIBLE. They're unbelievable. They need no more work (other than too many palm-outs and slow-mo dives). Then, after they make a save, you'll see a defender under pressure do a calm back-heel back into his own box, which is full of strikers. Because it knows how accurate the pass will be. And then a defender sliding into a tackle will result in a simultaneous 50 yard pass that lands directly at his teammate's feet as he's running down the wing, ready to receive it as soon as the guy slid in. Then four back-heels in a row (just happened to me now, no exaggeration, and all pretty much in a straight line forward).

But the really sad thing is, I do keep whacking the "other" demo on for ten minutes and then going "it's still the better game".

Exactly my thoughts. The essence of what makes an amazing PES game has been lost. It looks, animates, sounds, and presents like a natural evolution of PES, but it doesn't FEEL like PES. The shooting, OTT backheels, floaty keepers, exploits, ignorance of player stats, and the accurate passing, all damage the immersion.

Genuine question - if Konami re-released PES 5 with HD graphics and updated team rosters, then called it PES CLASSIC, would anyone buy it?

Online is a mess. The unsuspecting speed bursts from offensive players and lack of mobility from defenders with bad reaction time really make it frustrating. Occasionally the players feeeze and you lose a crucial ball. They need to tweak the servers. This has been the case in 2016 and 2017 as well for the first few weeks then they adjust something and it works fine. But for now it's annoying as all hell

Exactly my thoughts. The essence of what makes an amazing PES game has been lost. It looks, animates, sounds, and presents like a natural evolution of PES, but it doesn't FEEL like PES. The shooting, OTT backheels, floaty keepers, exploits, ignorance of player stats, and the accurate passing, all damage the immersion.

Genuine question - if Konami re-released PES 5 with HD graphics and updated team rosters, then called it PES CLASSIC, would anyone buy it?
No it would be too basic for today's standards. But then again would be fun to try it out for old times sakes

I am happy with the game and the challange it brings with it.
Started with a WC with the Netherlands, on Superstar and lost the Finale against Brazil.

Than got the option files and started a ML with Eintracht Frankfurt on legendary.....
5 Games = 4 Losses and a draw.
So I changed to Athletico Madrid. After 5 Games, unbeaten 2xdraws and 3x victorys.
Two of them 1:0 ...typical Athletico! Oblak has been 3x MOTM ;)

I love the challange on legend. They press and cut down passinglines.
Athletico still has to adabt to my tactics.
I wanted to sell GABI, good money for an old player.
But with GABI in the squad, as captain, Teamspirit is at 92, without him it's 72. So i had to keep him.

I am still exploring the ML, but the challange on legend is legendary. I love it.
Havn't touched MyClub yet. I soon i master legendary difficulty, i'll switch to myclub.

Chris has nailed this. My exact thoughts, I have spent a good deal of the weekend on ML and have seen everything in his post. Opposition players playing 50 yard slid tackle passes better than I can play a 10 yard ball, spammed chipped passes, the stun effect (you touch an opp player and your player is stunned), team spirit removing my players ability to run fast?! The game is so frustrating and there is something wrong when it removes your ability to do the simple things.

When it does come together it is great but that is so fleeting at the moment.

I think its time to accept that ML is a mode Konami don't want us to play anymore.

It´s hard to read up 10 pages at once here :P

Played a lot of myclub (waiting for a good OF yet) and really enjoying that game!

I could save moments and situations, animations, goals all day but I´m so damn lazy uploading all that stuff.
My settings: cam, 0, 6, 6 (actually love angle 10 but it´s quite hard for me on manual), full manual, speed 0.

A few pages I read about Watford being too hard and it really made me laugh.

Watford in my PES 2017 ML was my most feard opponent. They always kept slashing me whereas Barca or Bayern Munich been very easy to beat.
This problem is existing for years....I remember that being in even in PES 2010 and it never changed.

Sitting in the office here, reading all your impressions as it´s the only way spending time on PES....can´t wait for tonight....Mrs is giving ZUMBA classes for a couple of hours so I can play a few matches.

I see your points Shez, deffo,and I agree on a lot of them.
My enthusiasm for pes18 is based on how fluid the game feels,and how you can play this game.
If this is the first step (which I hope,most don't) then correction what's missing will make this game amazing.
Not agreeing on the SIM thing though,from a personal standpoint since I've never consider it being just that.
Good post Shez,I love (see) around this game,good or bad,no problem at all,it's just when the factory punches out the repetitive "game broken" "shooting OP" phrases,that's when I and a few others just shuts off or goes into battle mode.
Respect your views mate,and good solid points across the board.
Good post Shez,loved reading it

Couldn´t agree more...specially on the bold parts.
I love how players react and move on the pitch. Animations are really really good and ball physics as well.

About the SIM thing. I think it´s really hard finding a good balance between SIM and a game that you can enjoy.
Realism is great but not in every field.
Best example to me is when people asking for a handball implemention.
That for example is something that I personally never ever wanna have in this game as it is something only the CPU can control and not you. Now if we moan about momentum or scripting, handball should be the last thing we want to have in this game. Just my opinion.

Yesterday i have this cpu ai volley attempt one on one inside box, and it was over the bar.. nice.. lol also cpu ai has fouled me both sliding tackle and standing tackle.. also they got yellow card..fouls were there.

Regarding cpu ai not pressure enough wherln they are down.. yup would love them to gey fix.. issue was also there in 2017.

In my opinion, probably if konami want to increase foul is to make it random in specific situation.. in 2017 when heading my player sometimes make the cpu ai ass on the floor, sometimes the referee calls sometimes not.. like it that way.. probably on the body barging opponent make them random foul..,?

I´m a little scared when I read they are looking into fouls and trying to fix that in a few months.
When I play this game, I never wonder why I don´t get fouled. In fact I do get fouled more or less....maybe not often enough.
I just don´t want them to go from one extreme to another. I remember PES 2014....every little push was called and you didn´t have any gameflow, because there have been interruptions every second minute.

But if they find the right balance or better yet...adjust that on different refs or teams...I´m fine.
I hope they can...

It´s hard to read up 10 pages at once here :P

Played a lot of myclub (waiting for a good OF yet) and really enjoying that game!

I could save moments and situations, animations, goals all day but I´m so damn lazy uploading all that stuff.
My settings: cam, 0, 6, 6 (actually love angle 10 but it´s quite hard for me on manual), full manual, speed 0.

A few pages I read about Watford being too hard and it really made me laugh.

Watford in my PES 2017 ML was my most feard opponent. They always kept slashing me whereas Barca or Bayern Munich been very easy to beat.
This problem is existing for years....I remember that being in even in PES 2010 and it never changed.

Sitting in the office here, reading all your impressions as it´s the only way spending time on PES....can´t wait for tonight....Mrs is giving ZUMBA classes for a couple of hours so I can play a few matches.

Couldn´t agree more...specially on the bold parts.
I love how players react and move on the pitch. Animations are really really good and ball physics as well.

About the SIM thing. I think it´s really hard finding a good balance between SIM and a game that you can enjoy.
Realism is great but not in every field.
Best example to me is when people asking for a handball implemention.
That for example is something that I personally never ever wanna have in this game as it is something only the CPU can control and not you. Now if we moan about momentum or scripting, handball should be the last thing we want to have in this game. Just my opinion.

I´m a little scared when I read they are looking into fouls and trying to fix that in a few months.
When I play this game, I never wonder why I don´t get fouled. In fact I do get fouled more or less....maybe not often enough.
I just don´t want them to go from one extreme to another. I remember PES 2014....every little push was called and you didn´t have any gameflow, because there have been interruptions every second minute.

But if they find the right balance or better yet...adjust that on different refs or teams...I´m fine.
I hope they can...

I heard someone mention that Christiano on pesgaming has a good option file.

Ive not played ML yet, so cant comment on the gameplay differences due to the TS impact. However i think some people do exaggerate the problems a bit.

Yes there are passages where the AI will ping it about and the backheel/flick animation comes into it. But its not constant, no where near it... i dont like it when it happens, but its not unstoppable and its not all game.

The lofted balls over the top outwide, well I cant deny they try it as I see it. But in my games (top player) the AI over hits at least 1 in 3 out of play... and of the others, I can cut them out or at least be on the player the minute he brings it down. I dont see any dramatic disadvantage to the AI doing it and again its not all the time for me and believe me, im looking for this crap as im easily put off a game and will soon let it collect Hard drive dust :D

As for human ping passing, on full manual I cant do it. Im not a joypad jockey, so im sure there are players who can scratch their balls, eat a Chinese all whilst rainbow flicking the ball up and down the pitch 30 times non stop... but I cant, so none of that (if its there) affects my experience and being 'not great' at the game actually helps, as you find things more of a challenge.

I dont care if people dont like it, i wouldnt care if i was the only person in the world playing the game if i found it fun... and my comments are not for people who own the game, as you have already formed your opinion during your playtime. But for those looking for information before buying... then

- The backheel/flick ping pong passing does happen, its not constant and its not unstoppable. Infact the more you play position, rather than high tempo pressure, the less it happens as the AI dosent have players in space instantly to knock it around.

- Balls over the top out wide are attempted, again its not the only AI approach, far from it. Are they unstoppable... no. Are they 100% accurate... no.

I do not fiddle with tactics for my team or the AI, just play it as i see it so far. ML may well be different, thats another bridge for me to cross. But its good, really good imo and I didnt play Beta or Demo, wasnt even going to buy it as im burnt out, but gave it a go and here we are.

Enjoy it or dont.... but just be honest with yourself and when you post. Its not just PES owners here, haters or lovers... but there are people out there who will want an independent voice, from those who have the game, play it as it is and say it as it is.

Back
Top Bottom