PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

You are way way more critic towards the game than it deserves, talking about gameplay.

There are issues in every game, but the most complained things are not so game breaking as you make it sound.

Well, there is one element that is really flawed, fouls, but they are going to fix those.

Free runs on the flanks are there, but that doesn't mean the game is broken because of it, simply because playing at reasonable difficulty levels (Top player,Superstar and Legend) it's very difficult to score with an unrealistic frequency. I would call it gamebreaking when you just had to go to the flanks, cross, header, goal. Thankfully crosses are not so OP anymore.

CPU players doing backheels: i have seen them, but they are nowhere near as frequent as some of you say. I would say the CPU in Pes 2018 is more human even at highest levels.

I also read that stats don't matter. Well, that's just not true. In Pes 2018 you can feel if a player is faster or a slower dribbler, if he has a great header scorer, if he has a good kicking power or not. Especially, the kicking power is the most obvious improvement. In Pes 2017 whenever i made a shot that seemed like a rocket with a player that had like 70 or so rating i felt depressed. In Pes 2018, while shots variety is still not there, power is much better represented, and feels realistic. Besides, not every shot now is a rocket straight to the goal. There are shots with more dipping, shots that are very powerful and some shots that are just not poweful enough. Again, not so much variety as in Fifa, but it's an improvement.

This game is a great evolution to Pes 2017, a big evolution, and with few tweaks coming from fouls being actually called for me it will be the best it has ever been in gameplay department.

I agree so much with you. Of course there are issues but, for me at least, they are not game breaking or inmersion killer, at least the on-the-pitch issues. I understand the Master League problem, but I trust next year they will revamp it from scratch.

But I'm really tired about the "stats don't matter". I also think there are too many backheels so the game don't force an animation that could be seen as "slowing the gameplay" (because it would be seen as that, I'm almost sure haha), and yeah, sometimes flanks are easy to run through. But I see this every day when watching football: Real Madrid are too much compact and they leave flanks unprotected.

So far I'm really liking the gameplay. Modes needs a revamp ASAP, but I can see through that ^^

General backheels would be fine if they were contextual. How many backheels IRL do you see go for 10-15 yards...forward? Honestly.

Crosses. Literally by default every single one of the attacks could be a cross. Do you know how outside backs are taught to defend? Well it's certainly not run into the box as soon as the SMF gets the ball...that's for sure.

Do we think GK's wouldn't be pissed off that their defensive line has retreated into their line of sight, and are literally in the way?

Football, or any sport, is about the battle of field position. By default, PES does not deliver that concept. What it delivers is great entertainment to produce the very rare moments that happen in real life, and make that the entire theme.

I say be critical and don't settle. It doesn't mean the critics don't like the game. If anything they show how much they care about the game's direction more. I have had several discussions with well respected critics of the game, and these guys are busting out hours and hours of testing to try to find workarounds for the fundamental flaws.

So far I'm really liking the gameplay. Modes needs a revamp ASAP, but I can see through that ^^

I also think they will work more on ML next year, but i really hope it's a revamp, and not just an improvement. Master league in next Pes needs a reboot like the one they did with Pes 2010/11 when they made it so much better than it was compared to Pes 2009. Reviews talk about that too, so hopefully the team will understand offline modes are still extremely important.

General backheels would be fine if they were contextual. How many backheels IRL do you see go for 10-15 yards...forward? Honestly.

Crosses. Literally by default every single one of the attacks could be a cross. Do you know how outside backs are taught to defend? Well it's certainly not run into the box as soon as the SMF gets the ball...that's for sure.

Do we think GK's wouldn't be pissed off that their defensive line has retreated into their line of sight, and are literally in the way?

Football, or any sport, is about the battle of field position. By default, PES does not deliver that concept. What it delivers is great entertainment to produce the very rare moments that happen in real life, and make that the entire theme.

I say be critical and don't settle. It doesn't mean the critics don't like the game. If anything they show how much they care about the game's direction more. I have had several discussions with well respected critics of the game, and these guys are busting out hours and hours of testing to try to find workarounds for the fundamental flaws.

Pes (and Fifa) are first and foremost videogames, arcade games with simulative elements. There is a reason why at Gamescom Pes won the Best Sports Game award (Fifa was in the same category) and not the Best Simulation Game (Project Cars 2 won that).

In fact i would say the reason i loved Iss Pro Evolution and Pes was because it was fun, accessible, but still realistic enough. It still has that aim: to be fun and to be realistic enough.

I'm with you about improving the realistic elements ingame with tactics but at one point you have to accept: Pes is not a simulation game. You can't really replicate the midfield battle, you can't expect Pes to be like exactly like the real thing if that's not what the team wants to achieve.

Anyway i say, be critical, but respect people that settle, respect people that make their point, give their feedback and then try to enjoy the game. It's not true that people that don't complain every single post in here are not true fans or they don't care about the direction of the game.

Backheels should only happen in the odd attack situation with certain players . .that's a given. .backheeling in normal play is nonsense . . .regarding the other points Matt has made Konami can't be that thick to not realise these faults.. it's obviously deliberate .. entertainment seems to be the name of the game but one thing I have found in these forums is the attitude is different towards Fifa compared to Pes. . Fifa is excused for it's faults because of licensing etc and very little energy is expended tearing it asunder whereas it's open season on Pes every year. .some people will go out of their way to highlight things like goalkeepers dribbling through the opposition to "prove" that the game is broken or other fixable situations and the feeling Pes fans get is one of come over to Fifa and we'll cure all your ills with sliders. . .which cures it for 3 weeks and then it gets tweaked again . .. Matt and the "top boys" are right in that we shouldn't accept the faults but there is never going to be a game that will please everybody . .e.g if we really got a simulation with everything perfect the complaint would be a lack of fun .. "I can't score" or the defence is too good. . . .I'm fuckin lost as to how we can implement the perfect fundamentals and bring back that special "feeling" when you score whatever the fuck that is.

Pleas explain to me what the perfect game is. . btw I'm well aware of the faults in the latest Pes.

It's an evolution. A good one, imo.
Sure there are some flaws but I enjoy it for what it does good! Maybe it's because it's new... ya know, but it feels right. I don't want to rate it like "best PES in..." terms.
I currently just enjoy the game! :)

Same. Just played first ten games. Definitely fresh and seemingly more variety in moves etc. Playing on FM passing & Top Player, game speed 0.

One point I was disappointed was this. Played against Barca and they seemed relatively tame. Messi on the wing was easily dispossessed and breaking them down in the counter was easy and eventually beat them 3-2, me creating 10+ chances and them clinical on the 3 chances they had.

Still lots to find out though.

Any idea how to use pace to actually beat a man? I keep isolating Martial against a full back rated in the 60s for speed but for some reason can't beat him in a simple foot race.

I'm ok generally beating a man by manipulating the left stick but surely there is a way where you can also rely on pace. I'm all for creating a more technically challenging game but it's ridiculous if John Terry can keep up with Theo Walcott

Wrong footed them.. an ingredient of RT with RB.. and RB (twice)

Backheels should only happen in the odd attack situation with certain players . .that's a given. .backheeling in normal play is nonsense . . .regarding the other points Matt has made Konami can't be that thick to not realise these faults.. it's obviously deliberate .. entertainment seems to be the name of the game but one thing I have found in these forums is the attitude is different towards Fifa compared to Pes. . Fifa is excused for it's faults because of licensing etc and very little energy is expended tearing it asunder whereas it's open season on Pes every year. .some people will go out of their way to highlight things like goalkeepers dribbling through the opposition to "prove" that the game is broken or other fixable situations and the feeling Pes fans get is one of come over to Fifa and we'll cure all your ills with sliders. . .which cures it for 3 weeks and then it gets tweaked again . .. Matt and the "top boys" are right in that we shouldn't accept the faults but there is never going to be a game that will please everybody . .e.g if we really got a simulation with everything perfect the complaint would be a lack of fun .. "I can't score" or the defence is too good. . . .I'm fuckin lost as to how we can implement the perfect fundamentals and bring back that special "feeling" when you score whatever the fuck that is.

Pleas explain to me what the perfect game is. . btw I'm well aware of the faults in the latest Pes.

Very true. PES achieves brilliance in a number of ways that FIFA will never come close to. We can't and never will have a perfect game. Sure our expectations should be higher and we should have the feeling of what we should have had in 2017 from Konami for a football game, but this is reality, and acceptance should be of that.

It's impossible to run faster than the CPU, it's pathetic, CPU can out muscle and tackle with whoever they like, 2 week trial with this until FIFA comes out, I hope there is a patch update by then, not one player of mine has a burst of energy with 1 v 1 or even a clean run 1 v 1 with the keeper, the CPU catch up no matter what and just shrug players off

Very true. PES achieves brilliance in a number of ways that FIFA will never come close to. We can't and never will have a perfect game. Sure our expectations should be higher and we should have the feeling of what we should have had in 2017 from Konami for a football game, but this is reality, and acceptance should be of that.

Fair enough marty. . Pes 2017 was very playable if people explore the game properly and enjoy it's merits . .constant moaning about even slight problems will sway the ordinary user and make them believe that it's rubbish and stop people from giving it a chance. . .2 weeks in and they buy the criticism and stop playing it. . I've played every Pes that ever existed and Pes 2017 was probably the best so far . .I don't care what the experts say.. .I make my own mind up.

It's impossible to run faster than the CPU, it's pathetic, CPU can out muscle and tackle with whoever they like, 2 week trial with this until FIFA comes out, I hope there is a patch update by then, not one player of mine has a burst of energy with 1 v 1 or even a clean run 1 v 1 with the keeper, the CPU catch up no matter what and just shrug players off

So if you can piss by players everytime and score and win you would be fine with that? Scripting is there for a balance otherwise every match would be a victory for the user.

Agree totally with @Deco and his very good post.
It's always open season on Pes.
It's not sim,it's broken etc.
While it's always curable with sliders on FIFA,making that game play"correct"
It gets old fast as fuck with that logic,yeah we want the closest thing we can get to a sim.
But sometimes hearing criticism about it not being a "SIM" from people who play fully assisted games in 5-10 min games is ridiculous.
This game has a shitload of flaws,just like every other sports game has.
Which game do people compare with when they say they want a sim?
Pes has never been a sim,and God knows neither had FIFA.
So which game is it that we cry SIM about?
2k? NHL? Madden? FM?
Are we/you crying for something that never actually has existed!
The open season on Pes is so fu***ng old and tiresome

So if you can piss by players everytime and score and win you would be fine with that? Scripting is there for a balance otherwise every match would be a victory for the user.

Somewhat agree with you but when Ronaldo is sprinting with the ball and gets caught by John Terry it is a bit stupid

What you on about? Watch football in real life and you'll see players like vardy can beat someone pretty easily in a leg race, especially when he's already in front, but oh wait, that unknown player with half pase starts catching up with ease and skinny as you like pushes him off like he's the hulk

Basically the game lacks real attacking momentum , unless you forever loft the ball over which just kills the game and makes it boring, also crosses are 100% effective all the time from.both sides

Agree totally with @Deco and his very good post.
It's always open season on Pes.
It's not sim,it's broken etc.
While it's always curable with sliders on FIFA,making that game play"correct"
It gets old fast as fuck with that logic,yeah we want the closest thing we can get to a sim.
But sometimes hearing criticism about it not being a "SIM" from people who play fully assisted games in 5-10 min games is ridiculous.
This game has a shitload of flaws,just like every other sports game has.
Which game do people compare with when they say they want a sim?
Pes has never been a sim,and God knows neither had FIFA.
So which game is it that we cry SIM about?
2k? NHL? Madden? FM?
Are we/you crying for something that never actually has existed!
The open season on Pes is so fu***ng old and tiresome

Yes Rock you are right .. I'm fed up with these people analysing Pes just for its faults .. .these people actually get the game and study it for faults which is all they do, and then preach to the rest of us who are actually enjoying the game. . .why don't they go over to the Fifa thread and spend their time running it into the ground with all it's faults?

Yes Rock you are right .. I'm fed up with these people analysing Pes just for its faults .. .these people actually get the game and study it for faults which is all they do, and then preach to the rest of us who are actually enjoying the game. . .why don't they go over to the Fifa thread and spend their time running it into the ground with all it's faults?

You do realise FIFA isn't out yet ..

Same here mate,that's why you and I and a few others have a ML thread instead of this asylum.
It's so tiresome,"I score on 100%on all my crosses,and so does the CPU"
No you F... don't!
Same thing last year,and the year before that.
The fuffa crowd is a tiresome bunch of shit kickers.
Don't like the game,fine,want to give your opinion about it,fine,wanna give some more criticism,fine!
But just crapping on everything,not cool!

So every great dribbler should beat 3 players and score? It's called scripting to balance the game . .it's not real life.

Lol strange comment, all I said was Ronaldo should not be able to be outpaced by John Terry nothing about dribbling past 3 players. If I want to do that I'll just dribble down the wing since AI wingbacks never close down.

The game is good and I'm enjoying it but no one can deny the AI has some serious flaws, crossing is ridiculously overpowered against the AI.

Lol strange comment, all I said was Ronaldo should not be able to be outpaced by John Terry nothing about dribbling past 3 players. If I want to do that I'll just dribble down the wing since AI wingbacks never close down.

The game is good and I'm enjoying it but no one can deny the AI has some serious flaws, crossing is ridiculously overpowered against the AI.

Strange comment? strange how? so every forward who can score with his head should score when it lands on his head? Ha ha ha

I agree with the old guard here.. Deco, Rockstrongo etc.. I think sometimes people (not pointing fingers to anybody in particular) is just happy to destroy Pes regardless.. "this is completely broken".. "that is unbalanced".. "the game is unplayable like that".. and so on.. and on and on and on..

I mean.. maybe you guys hold unrealistic expectations? This game has problems.. sure.. but if this problems surpass all the magnificent work Konami did gameplay wise on this Pes 2018.. I really don't know what to say.. a DECENT truly realistic soccer simulation is far from happening anytime soon.. I'd learn to appreciate more what we have if I was in you..

I agree with the old guard here.. Deco, Rockstrongo etc.. I think sometimes people (not pointing fingers to anybody in particular) is just happy to destroy Pes regardless.. "this is completely broken".. "that is unbalanced".. "the game is unplayable like that".. and so on.. and on and on and on..

I mean.. maybe you guys hold unrealistic expectations? This game has problems.. sure.. but if this problems surpass all the magnificent work Konami did gameplay wise on this Pes 2018.. I really don't know what to say.. a DECENT truly realistic soccer simulation is far from happening anytime soon.. I'd learn to appreciate more what we have if I was in you..

Well said madmac.. .don't be intimidated by any of them.. .always voice your opinion.. .they do it all the time.

You're right on the money Mac,well put.
I had great expectations,then the week it was released (this week,feels longer ago) ,the nay sayers started to crawl in again,making me doubt if I should buy it or not.
Bought it,started to play at 00:01 Thursday night,and I love it,made some adjustments myself,love it even more,and if konami can fix the issues it really has, fantastic,then I love it even more.
And as long as I do,I don't care what others think

Wrote a post a few days before the release of the game,that I wouldn't take any advice on purchasing this game,except from people I trust in here,pretty much my ML mates who have been loving the ML and Pes for quite a long time.
If they say this game is shit,then I'd believe that and the other way around.
What others say...

I had great expectations,then the week it was released (this week,feels longer ago) ,the nay sayers started to crawl in again,making me doubt if I should buy it or not.
Bought it,started to play at 00:01 Thursday night,and I love it,made some adjustments myself,love it even more,and if konami can fix the issues it really has, fantastic,then I love it even more.

Wrote a post a few days before the release of the game,that I wouldn't take any advice on purchasing this game,except from people I trust in here,pretty much my ML mates who have been loving the ML and Pes for quite a long time.
What others say...

haha calm down man :)

What others say...

What adjustments you made?
Current sweet spot i find is Top Player, manual passing, 0 game speed. Can't decide on camera. Like live broadcast but its near impossible to adjudge a pass when its on manual

Back
Top Bottom