PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

just played more matches

East Sussex v east London

Pitch textures are sooooo much better

Game flows like real football at times

Much much much better game than pes 2017

This is good. If you enjoyed pes 2017 then this is better, it's slower, the cpu plays in so many different ways.
If the CPU is set up right,it's tough as hell to.
The thing I like is that you have to play this so differently from how you'd play 17 ,trying to chase or make tackling if you're not properly positioned,you're gone!

Played a few matches. Iceland is licenced again, hurray! Played a random World Cup group, got through by the skin of my teeth, gripping stuff! Huge difference between Hungary/Iraq and Equador, that is playing against them. Especially Iraq, they were dire. Then I played the "South America Cup" or whatever and accidentally saved over my Iceland progression because I somehow thought it would be in a different save place. Weird how Konami have now shoved the South American competition under cups and don't present it on a menu like the CL. So losing that Iceland save is going to haunt my soul for a bit. But I'll get over it.

Then I played a tried and tested Encounter in the Demo, Liverpool vs. Dortmund. Had a lot of fun with that one. Great goalmouth scrambles this year. 0-0 in the end but very entertaining.

Playing on top player, manual passing but basic shooting for now. I tend to rock a bit between manual and basic shooting.

About manual passing, crossing on manual is soooooooooo different from last year. In 17, you pretty much had to point the stick in the perfect direction, not a degree off, as you crossed or it would end up in the stands. And also the game threw in random bullet crosses for a laugh. Now, if you are in good position, you will get a cross in. Not always a perfect one, and also I have fluffed some crosses which I thought would be fine. So there is a random element in there. What I'm trying to say is that the crosses are really good on manual this year. Could use a bit more pressure on the crosser from the defence though.

Played a few matches. Iceland is licenced again, hurray! Played a random World Cup group, got through by the skin of my teeth, gripping stuff! Huge difference between Hungary/Iraq and Equador, that is playing against them. Especially Iraq, they were dire. Then I played the "South America Cup" or whatever and accidentally saved over my Iceland progression because I somehow thought it would be in a different save place. Weird how Konami have now shoved the South American competition under cups and don't present it on a menu like the CL. So losing that Iceland save is going to haunt my soul for a bit. But I'll get over it.

Then I played a tried and tested Encounter in the Demo, Liverpool vs. Dortmund. Had a lot of fun with that one. Great goalmouth scrambles this year. 0-0 in the end but very entertaining.

Playing on top player, manual passing but basic shooting for now. I tend to rock a bit between manual and basic shooting.

About manual passing, crossing on manual is soooooooooo different from last year. In 17, you pretty much had to point the stick in the perfect direction, not a degree off, as you crossed or it would end up in the stands. And also the game threw in random bullet crosses for a laugh. Now, if you are in good position, you will get a cross in. Not always a perfect one, and also I have fluffed some crosses which I thought would be fine. So there is a random element in there. What I'm trying to say is that the crosses are really good on manual this year. Could use a bit more pressure on the crosser from the defence though.
We Swedes would call that "tungur crossur" when trying to speak Icelandic
Yeah loads of randomness,and you have to pin point passes and crosses,I consider my self a manual passer,but it's tough in this one,16-17 were easy,this isn't!

What about Chris Davies' point about the AI hitting through balls (mostly lofted) out to the wingers? Any teams where the AI isn't doing that? If so then let Chris know so he can see for himself. I just want some empirical evidence that this doesn't always happen, as opposed to my experience with the demo & Chris' with the full game.

What about Chris Davies' point about the AI hitting through balls (mostly lofted) out to the wingers? Any teams where the AI isn't doing that? If so then let Chris know so he can see for himself. I just want some empirical evidence that this doesn't always happen, as opposed to my experience with the demo & Chris' with the full game.
I played PSG, they didn't do this at all

I played against Spurs and they didn't really do this either, just dominated the middle of the pitch with Alli & Kane playing 1-2's all the time.

This did my head in playing the demo but haven't really noticed it in the full game. Still early days, though.

If you edit teams,to short passing,there isn't a problem.
I liked Chris review,but out of the box play,and edited teams are very much two different games
Check @Lami s vids in the Pes 18 tactics thread and you be the judge

Played myclub and some online divisions.

It's definitely slowed down and especially the slowdown of passes is great. Plenty of passes go short of the intended target, yet at the same time through balls deceptively run away from your intended target.

Speedy players now do get away from you without the 'ketchup' script, but whether its my imagination, strong defenders can still muscle off the player from the ball, unless it's a tricky player like neymar twisting and turning.
I mention it because from recollection, the beta demo wasn't quite as much in favour of the defender.

Overall its great to see lack of laser pinpoint passing (even with assistance) and power of passes feeling much more manual.

At this stage, I feel advanced shooting is broken (as in, its unuseable in an online match).

Midfield really do play a far greater role and despite my concern when they mentioned about making the pitch bigger, I feel its actually more compact and makes for a more 'battle' like feel to matches.

Also thank f##k overpowered crossing and header is out. The times I seen players spam me with crosses to no avail as I punish them with passing around to find space to shoot is a great feeling.

Another thing is the goalies. My god, the amount of times i find myself in an one vs one situation and think, 'yep goal' and gets saved! Not complaining, its great to see! Shooting is a lot less accurate as well, which i think is good.

Last edited:
Surprised by the positive feedback here. The game is awesome. But need some adjustment on tactics, improve foul and reduce the effectiveness of through ball (high/ground) on the flanks as it abused a lot by the cpu

Actually... not that big of a surprise when you realize who are the people missing from this thread (compared to until a week ago). Negativity always draws more negativity in.

AhhhI feel so relieved and free, now I can finally start watching clips and videos and whatnot.

Actually... not that big of a surprise when you realize who are the people missing from this thread (compared to until a week ago). Negativity always draws more negativity in.

AhhhI feel so relieved and free, now I can finally start watching clips and videos and whatnot.
Got the game yet Chuny?

You took the words right out of mouth.
Stunning game really.
Try to go back,like I did,to Pes 17 and 15 (which I like) and a certain demo,they are pretty much unplayable now,feels old,dated,out of fashion.
Well done Konami

Right before Steam finished downloading the game, I fired up PES 2017 (which I had played until a week ago, so it was still fresh in my memory) just to get a feeling of that game before kicking-off the NEW season.
After I played PES 2017 and then PES 2018, I could not believe how people were calling it PES 2017.5 and those kind of things. Really, absolutely idiotic. If you can't tell how good and different PES 2018 is from its predecessor, you don't deserve to play it at all.

The freedom. The "anything can happen" feeling. The ball physics. The turf. THE FUCKING TURF!!!. All those little animations. And countless other sensations I get that I can't really put into words yet.

PC version is an orgasm.

Right before Steam finished downloading the game, I fired up PES 2017 (which I had played until a week ago, so it was still fresh in my memory) just to get a feeling of that game before kicking-off the NEW season.
After I played PES 2017 and then PES 2018, I could not believe how people were calling it PES 2017.5 and those kind of things. Really, absolutely idiotic. If you can't tell how good and different PES 2018 is from its predecessor, you don't deserve to play it at all.

The freedom. The "anything can happen" feeling. The ball physics. The turf. THE FUCKING TURF!!!. All those little animations. And countless other sensations I get that I can't really put into words yet.

PC version is an orgasm.
Same thoughts here,finished my ML on 17,two days ago,but tried those games I mentioned,night and day.
If people can't see that,or won't see that,their loss.
There's absolutely no need to slander this game.
Love it,fouls though,fix those and it's an absolute classic.
No one has mentioned OP shooting or lack of variations there,cus there isn't an issue
I play on -1, shooting is so heavy!

But I'll guess the usual suspects will turn up here and start spreading their crap soon enough.
Guess the fifa demo keeps them occupied.
Yeah can imagine the Pc version being cool as shit.
I love my XB version

Same thoughts here,finished my ML on 17,two days ago,but tried those games I mentioned,night and day.
If people can't see that,or won't see that,their loss.
There's absolutely no need to slander this game.
Love it,fouls though,fix those and it's an absolute classic.
No one has mentioned OP shooting or lack of variations there,cus there isn't an issue
I play on -1, shooting is so heavy!

But I'll guess the usual suspects will turn up here and start spreading their crap soon enough.
Guess the fifa demo keeps them occupied.
Yeah can imagine the Pc version being cool as shit.
I love my XB version

Yeah, gimme fouls and a proper Live Broadcast camera (like the one we have, but without the close-ups) and I'm ready to end my social life for good.

I am playing -1 aswell, overall experiencie is better than 0 I think. Advanced shooting has more missing variety. I am in love.

Only thing is we could use more fouls and that I am not full satisfied on -1. I will keep playing.

I still haven't gotten a hold of my copy yet (damn you hurricane Irma!!), But for those that have played competition and ML games. Have you noticed any scripting? Goals at the 90min? Thanks. If not it's season for me again

Lots of positive feedback in here, which is good. But I wonder if the game is really "truly amazing" and awesome" as some have described it already.:THINK:

Well, this is subject to your personal taste and whether you like the approach of PES to soccer simulation or not. For example, many sing praises about "other game" demo that was just released. I downloaded it played for 10 mins and to turned it off. I am just liking PES approach to the real game and I think it is " Truly amazing" and "Awesome" if you like.

I still haven't gotten a hold of my copy yet (damn you hurricane Irma!!), But for those that have played competition and ML games. Have you noticed any scripting? Goals at the 90min? Thanks. If not it's season for me again
To soon yet I think,only played one ML game so far,waiting for a DLC

Played myclub and some online divisions.

At this stage, I feel advanced shooting is broken (as in, its unuseable in an online match).
Could you elaborate please? Interested to know what the problem is online. Did you use it in the beta?

To be honest, if the online is like the beta and the offline is like the demo then I'd buy the game. I really want to know how the game settles down though, once more people get used to online - will they all end up playing like the CPU and exploit 1 touch passing / freedom on the wings, or will the game not be so exploitable owing to the slight button lag & lack of CPU's absurd ability to know that a pass will come off...

Yes,needs fixing
Got 100% better when I set my opponents to using "wing back" in advance instructions when defending
I've tried that and a lot of other combos like stretching out compactness and having both teams as rivals and still not much different.

Back
Top Bottom