PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I've really grown fond of basic,I can place,control the elevation with power and hit those low dippers.I generally always used manual last year.I feel my feet have a greater impact now,plus timing,where the ball is in relation to my feet when I strike it to add a little curl.Same with crossing there not strait arrows on pa0 and I can slightly turn my players body and feet to create some curve,just as I'm executing the button command.Last year it felt like the ball only ever curved on assisted because it was always guided to the player,hence the physics would adjust to find the player.

Edit..There's also error on basic,still plenty of miss hits and overpowering,and like the passing players ability factors in.

It's so frustrating all this "manual, advanced, basic- stuff", just find ONE universal (stat- based) shooting system for Gods sake.

With that said, probably gonna go with Advanced shooting but need me some time in the training ground first...;)

Side note; I'm happay Malmö FF is the worst team among "Other european teams"...

I totally understand when people don´t want to play manual. I switched to it last year this time when I was playing the PES 2017 demo.
The reason wasn´t that assisted was too easy.
It rather was a cosmetic thing.
I like what´s going on on the pitch, animations etc....I just like when real football is resembled.

But what really put me off was that every pass rolled directly to the player´s feet on PA1. It looked awful to me, that´s why I switched to PA0. Looks more natural to me.
If PA1 on PES 2018 has more error, that´s great....but since I mastered PA0, I don´t wanna go back no more.

(I really miss PES 2011 passing)

Looks fine!
Lovely movement from Messi when he brings in the cross!

The more I play this game, the more it´s growing on me.
Still haven´t mastered defending but it´s getting better.
Yes sir,remember having that conversation with you around manual or no manual last year chief,good that you stuck with it.
played a few PA 1 games when restarting my 17 a month or so ago.
I can understand people's frustration with Pa 1-3,it's horrible,and should really be better.
At the same time,no offemce folks,can't understand why people dont play manual.
Good to hear that you made it pal:)

I gave PA1 a go last night... I was stringing passes with ease and it felt too easy for me personally. Plus I don't have that freedom of putting the ball everywhere (playing a lot of passes in front of the receiving player with regular pass button). Another thing I found when playing with PA1 is I get more hectic. I tend to play faster, ping pongy... and I don't want that. I want slow build up play with rare chances on goal (opposite of what the game seems to head for, the other one too).
When I crossed the first or second ball into the penalty area and scored with a manual volley... I instantly changed it to manual passing again.
Guess there is no turning back for me ever again... hm...

have been watching some live streams of the retail game and i still see a big lack of fouls.
It still seems to be very easy to barge into the cpu player and just get the ball. Cpu does it to the human player as well.

Such a shame as the rest looks very very good. I remember playing pes5 and being frustrated the first 10 games because my tactic of press X and take the ball resulted in a foul a lot.
It made my change my approach and i loved that.
I'm really not expecting a change in that with a patch but it's definately what the game needs!

I don't like the demo and I'm waiting for the full game.

IMO restricting the tactics is counter productive and the Advanced Instructions issue shouldn't have been allowed to happen. I do think False Winger works well with Germany though.

When I see a player not playing like his real-life self, it takes me out of the moment and bugs me. Messi and Mane playing like a hug the touchline wingers is just :BRICK:

Anyway, I'm trying to adjust to manual passing but I feel someway when I lose possession and Argentina ping the ball up the pitch with accurate and perfectly weighted (blind) back heels in addition to a lofted pass to the renowned hug the touchline winger Lionel Messi.

Why can't the CPU be on the same settings as the user? If it was, I'd consider playing single player more often.

Regarding Advanced Shooting, I've tried but it's just odd. NBA 2K has the standard shoot button (Square) but if you want to be more intricate and or do certain things in a more natural way, you use the right stick and it just works.

I have no idea how to translate this to a football game but I sincerely hope Konami comes up with a way to make Advanced Shooting more contextual because right now it's anything but IMO.

@chiefrocka4real the GK just takes a step to the corner that the wall is covering. its like a mini game in game! so you can try to predict the direction of the ball and take a step in that direction.

letting the wall jump last night made me laugh. 2 AI player at the spot. one runs over the ball, i jump. wall gets down to the ground again. the second player kicks the ball, ill try to jump again... but its to late. nice goal by the AI. they fooled me and i love that little detail! :D

But how? Only by moving the left stick? I don´t get why they can´t keep some stuff as it used to be??

I don't like the demo and I'm waiting for the full game.

IMO restricting the tactics is counter productive and the Advanced Instructions issue shouldn't have been allowed to happen. I do think False Winger works well with Germany though.

When I see a player not playing like his real-life self, it takes me out of the moment and bugs me. Messi and Mane playing like a hug the touchline wingers is just :BRICK:

Anyway, I'm trying to adjust to manual passing but I feel someway when I lose possession and Argentina ping the ball up the pitch with accurate and perfectly weighted (blind) back heels in addition to a lofted pass to the renowned hug the touchline winger Lionel Messi.

Why can't the CPU be on the same settings as the user? If it was, I'd consider playing single player more often.

Regarding Advanced Shooting, I've tried but it's just odd. NBA 2K has the standard shoot button (Square) but if you want to be more intricate and or do certain things in a more natural way, you use the right stick and it just works.

I have no idea how to translate this to a football game but I sincerely hope Konami comes up with a way to make Advanced Shooting more contextual because right now it's anything but IMO.
Good thought about the "stick shooting" that both 2k and NHL has,that could/should be a feature,of course with an option to go the "old way" as well.
It crosses my mind when I play those games to

Manual shooting is too much for me, I can´t have fun with it, because honestly, I need some fun on that, not pressure to make sure I´m aiming perfectly. I feel that on manual shooting I´m always "shooting in the dark", and praying for a goal. That´s why I use PA0 and assisted shooting. PA0 won´t let me create that many chances anyway, and GK´s are awesome this year, so assisted shooting makes sense to me. I still miss lot´s of shots, even with top players.

Also, I´m loving the shooting system! The variation is not properly on the direction we choose, but also on how much we press the button... I´ve seen all sorts of shots on assisted and the game keeps showing nice details here and there. Really enjoying this!

Only thing I´ve been noticing is the awkard pass system, most times I can´t make short close passes, The game thinks I´m always passing to the player far from me, and I´ve lost posession several times because of that. Still, can´t stop playing it now...

But how? Only by moving the left stick? I don´t get why they can´t keep some stuff as it used to be??
guess its down to timing and direction:
"Drücken Sie
icon_button_y.png
, wenn Ihr Gegner schießt, damit Ihr Torwart einen Schritt macht.
Wenn Sie die Richtung erahnen, haben Sie eine bessere Chance, den Schuss zu halten."

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/manual/xbox-one/de/top.html
ill test this tonight again just to get clarification on that!

btw: i remember you switching to manual controls last year too. good move. :D

Last edited:
It's so frustrating all this "manual, advanced, basic- stuff", just find ONE universal (stat- based) shooting system for Gods sake.

With that said, probably gonna go with Advanced shooting but need me some time in the training ground first...;)

Side note; I'm happay Malmö FF is the worst team among "Other european teams"...

Why I've gone with basic,and use pa0..That way all the stats factor in.

If people like advanced,manual.Then more power to them.

Short 2 feet passes even on pa0 aren't wild or loose,just how it should be for me.

Like I've said before I feel pa0 is how the game is designed and meant to be played.That shouldn t upset anyone and ultimetly what set-up they use is there choice,it's there game.Just don't complain it's to automated and restrictive,because pa0 is still stat based and varies depending on a teams overall passing attributes.

They have created the middle ground because pa1 or above players are restricted by passing channels and lanes that are easy to intercept,aswell as not really be able to play the ball away from players that opens more possibilities.You can really use it to your advantage.The cpu isn't also passing to a player you don't want the ball to go to breaking up a killer bit of play or reverse move.

For me the best solution is to just drop assistance,especially with passing.Force people to feel how good it is now,this isnt pes17.Once you get used to it,the feeling is intuitive and natural just like the ps2 games felt.Its not something that you think to much about when it clicks because it's consistent and completely balances the game out imo.You have every angle the cpu has and feel completely free.

Last edited:
guess its down to timing and direction:
"Drücken Sie
icon_button_y.png
, wenn Ihr Gegner schießt, damit Ihr Torwart einen Schritt macht.
Wenn Sie die Richtung erahnen, haben Sie eine bessere Chance, den Schuss zu halten."

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/manual/xbox-one/de/top.html
ill test this tonight again just to get clarification on that!

btw: i remember you switching to manual controls last year too. good move. :D

Ahhh yes, I remember reading that but those tips disappear too quick :P

Dankeschön^^

Ahhh yes, I remember reading that but those tips disappear too quick :P

Dankeschön^^
bitte! ;)

i just found this and i dont know if this was known to others: you can transfer you cup and team emblems from 2017 to 2018 (for the 360 and ps3 that is). on ps4 and xboxOne you cant transfer anything.
https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/faq/2018/eu/de/ps4/item?no=3 (in german)

edit: all online manuals on one site, make it sticky!!
https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/manual/ps4/

Last edited:
Nothing special about this video,I haven't played the game in over a week,but blown away with the pace.
Afterwards I found out it was on reg difficulty.
Anyway,what stands out is that I played with manual cursor change,and my two first goals was all my "AI" scoring,since I didn't switch over to that player.
I usually play semi assisted cursor change

Think I'll keep playing manual cursor change

That´s what the assist settings are for. Problem is, PA1 is too assisted and after a while it removes the excitment from the game. Personally, I believe this is the rigth edition to start playing PA0. People are affraid of it, but to be honest, now is the time. CPU teams don´t press like crazy, they usually play a positional defense, wich gives us time and space to think, and pass. Besides, PA0 still has some assisting, no matter what people might say/think.

Yesterday I may have found my sweet settings, PA0 and Professional. Superstar becomes too frantic and with a heavy feel of scripting. Top Player is better, but still hard for me, and this is only a friendly match, we all know how the game can be on Master League mode. Pro is very, very balanced, CPU still attacks (yesterday I lost 3-0 against Liverpool), and the PA0 makes challenging, but not frustrating.
you misunderstand my post my friend, it's not just a passing error increase but all errors in football. Like shooting, first touch etc. Pure simulation at level 5 difficulty. AI would play simulation at level 5 also.

Last edited:
PA0 certainly feels like it is not entirely manual. Using the manual trigger and seeing the difference is proof of this I think.

Yes, of course pa0 is still assisted a little. We aim with an extremely short, cheap analog stick. People overestimate their precision in picking an exact angle. There're 360 degrees and I would be generous if I said that we can pick more than 16 angles reliably. The best thing about pa0 is that it definitely solves the "but I didn't want to pass to that guy" complaints.

Anyway the problem is not the user controls. It's that with pa0 you can play something closer to football (but only you, not the cpu, so it's close to useless. I would use pa0 if I could also nerf cpu passing, really), and with pa1 you can play ping pong. I think it's fair to say that the game should resemble football more than ping pong, regardless of the input method. There's nothing revolutionary about the concept that if a pass looks really hard or the player has crappy stats then the pass maybe should be a bit off. More variety this way as well.

Some people may still like ping pong, and that's ok. There's still pa2 and pa3. :)

i knew it, they probably did some scanning of the stadium too. Now i suspect a partnership with AS Monaco FC
Yes the stadium too.

"KONAMI will use its proprietary 3-D scanning systems to create the in-game models to ensure they are virtually photo realistic and will also be given extensive access to capture the San Siro stadium. KONAMI has also captured a wealth of audio content to recreate the sounds, cheers and chants heard during a home game to reproduce the electric atmosphere of an Inter match.

Additionally, KONAMI will also enjoy a high level of visibility within Inter’s ground. The club will enjoy prominence across the San Siro’s match-day LED sponsor boards, and PES 2018 will also be promoted via the ground’s giant LED screen. Additional promotions will take place in official partner zones in the ground, and KONAMI and Inter will also work closely across their official social channels to extend awareness of future cross-promotions."

https://t.co/HTzhPKVybr

The difference between FIFA and PES btw EA and KONAMI in one sentence: KONAMI made a exclusive partnership with Fulham and EA now with the complete league.

Mentioning things that others have been pulled up for saying.Its been made clear there can't be references to...well everybody knows what.

Cant be a rule for one and not everybody.

I mean, I get what people are trying to say when they say they wish the CPU used PA0, but, who do you think is assisting your passing when you use PA1 or above?

Spot on rom..The pa0 setting gives you as much flexibility/accuracy as the cpu if you master it,you can't expect to be able to do that in a week(there's no secret sauce or super boosting just for the cpu ai)..Longevity and having ai that's still challenging when youve mastered the game.If your already hammering the cpu on superstar with pa0,then there's something wrong..

If anyone has prove it..I'd love to see that!..against a evenly matched team of course,not Barca against flamengo.

Last edited:
I mean, I get what people are trying to say when they say they wish the CPU used PA0, but, who do you think is assisting your passing when you use PA1 or above?
I'm assuming that's aimed at me as I don't recall anyone else saying it (although what I actually said was "the AI doesn't play PA0", not "I wish the AI used PA0" - so maybe I'm wrong, but)...

My point was that the AI doesn't misjudge pass direction and end up kicking the ball too far to the side of a player for them to reach it, or kick the ball out of play. They hit nothing but perfectly-aimed passes, and at worst they'll underhit a pass, allowing you to intercept it - which is how PA1 works for the user, too, from what I can see (perfect aim, underhit when an interception is required based on the attributes of the passer and the defender).

In short: the AI, for all intents and purposes, is "using" PA1, and it only makes sense for me to do the same, because that creates a level playing field (though attributes still matter, and therefore, the better team should win).

Playing on PA0, your pass accuracy depends either entirely on your input, or at the very least, depending on who you believe, almost entirely. It doesn't make sense to me to do that, when you could potentially make a terrible team play like superstars (if you're incredibly skillful), or a great team play like a Sunday League team (if you're me). That's why I said you're handicapping yourself, rather than giving yourself some new world of realism to explore.

Total freedom doesn't equal realism if you're aiming for each player to perform like their real counterpart (and that is the entire point, to me - what's the point in playing a Master League and buying/selling players, otherwise).

Last edited:
Manual shooting is too much for me, I can´t have fun with it, because honestly, I need some fun on that, not pressure to make sure I´m aiming perfectly. I feel that on manual shooting I´m always "shooting in the dark", and praying for a goal. That´s why I use PA0 and assisted shooting. PA0 won´t let me create that many chances anyway, and GK´s are awesome this year, so assisted shooting makes sense to me. I still miss lot´s of shots, even with top players.

Also, I´m loving the shooting system! The variation is not properly on the direction we choose, but also on how much we press the button... I´ve seen all sorts of shots on assisted and the game keeps showing nice details here and there. Really enjoying this!

Only thing I´ve been noticing is the awkard pass system, most times I can´t make short close passes, The game thinks I´m always passing to the player far from me, and I´ve lost posession several times because of that. Still, can´t stop playing it now...

Yeah that's exactly why I play manual. The # of chances I can create on PA1 is way too high, even with the lesser clubs I use in ML. I'm not one of those people who think manual is the "right way to play". It just works for me.

Back
Top Bottom