PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Does Fulham deal mean that arsenal won't be licensed anymore?

Unless I have got it wrong, they can get access to two EPL clubs so the Arsenal license might not be impacted, unless they have opted for another club. Could be wrong on the two EPL teams thing though.

In saying that, have Arsenal featured in any of the promo stuff for FIFA18 as of yet? I wonder therefore if one of the bigger announcements is that they have acquired a partnership deal with them. Not that I particularly care for Arsenal, but could certainly see the merits in Konami sealing up a couple of multi-year partnership deals with EPL clubs. Let's be honest, for all the license talk and with more and more players playing online and getting into modes like myClub etc., then getting partnerships with bigger clubs could be a draw for a lot of fans of those clubs. I bet the amount of players of PES who are Liverpool supporters, for example, play myClub with Liverpool, at Anfield, and have a squad that is a mix of current players and Liverpool legends. What happens outside that environment regards a whle league being licensed might not matter that much to such a player.

I know if Konami announced a partnership deal with Partick Thistle (lol) and that, combined with super-duper smooth, balanced and deeply engaging online play, could see me play myClub or Online Divisions using the club I support, with me using ML for a more fantasy type experience in which I go a club in Serie B using the defaults. The actual real league in which Partick Thistle play not being in the game wouldn't matter that much, that way. I would likely stick Thistle in an edited Championship and play my up anyway.

One thing I like about not having fully licensed leagues everywhere in the game? Having the license to mess around with the game world in which ML exists.

How does having a team from EFL change the EPL two team rule. I don't think it's going to be a problem, otherwise it's a stupid move by them. Arsenal is next, I hope cuz those kind of deals is what increases sales. Bigger audience is better.

Matt you're a well learned man when it comes to watching and analysing positioning and what not and you're a decent player yourself as I've watched vids of your gameplay. . .one point that I have to make is this. . since you've become pally with B man and co. you have watered down your critiscism of the game where beforehand you would jump in with strong points and put forward your own views. . .the same goes for B man. . .he was a huge critic of Pes last year but since he became privy to the gameplay and met Adam and co. he has become rather defensive of the views that they trot out, to an observer it looks a bit strange and I'm not trying to put you or B man down or cause an argument .. . it seems that once there is contact with Adam and Asim the critisicism dies down. . .it can't be a coincidence.. .it feels like a sycophantic cosy club where each of you are afraid to take your normal stance with the new game and I don't buy the 'you have to play the game to appreciate it' routine. What's going on with the usual analysis? Both of you can fuck me from a height after this post. .I don't give a fuck what anybody says about me either way but both of your attitudes have changed. . .there is no critiscism from either of you or the other guys on the usual podcast who were also privy to the gameplay. . .nothing ..could you explain please the toning down of the critiscism of the new game?.. . .I have pointed out things which I have found worrying in the gameplay on the beta but it's only my humble opinion but they are valid points . .dribbling is overpowered when using star players and there is no support from midfield when attacking. What's going on Matt? Are you happy with it and is B man happy with the game as it stands? Give us your honest opinion please.

Hi Deco-- I met Adam and Asim 3/4 years ago. I've been speaking with them on and off ever since. So I didn't just meet Adam and Asim this past E3 and become chummy lol. I've been friends with them for years. That has never held me back from being critical has it? They actually ask me for my honest opinions when they text me because I won't bullshit them and they respect that.

Sorry you feel that I have changed just because I actually like what I played from 2018...so far

I want to be completely honest with you all on here about what though HAS changed for me...perspective.

I was privy to conversations at E3 that aren't out in the public. It's through those conversations that I developed a new perspective. How the development worked, how resources were allocated, how feedback worked etc. For years I had a single track mind. I wanted a game that had the depth of the PS2 days with updated tech and graphics/presentation. And because thats what a lot of people on forums wanted I thought that too was what the masses wanted. You find out from the feedback Konami takes on that that is not really the case. Everyone wants different things. I am also 31 years old and finally have come to accept gaming has changed. If you can't see how sports gaming in general has changed over the years then you aren't opening your eyes.

PES 2018 isn't perfect. I never said it was. I would love better presentation, better PK system, better commentary, more error in PA pass assist even though it is better than 2017, weak foot accuracy more prevalent, more shooting variety, a more sensitive shooting power bar to replicate true to life tension, new tactical system, better A.I. (though I don't know how 2018s will be yet) better in game A.I. where they change depending on the situation i.e. winning or losing late win a match. Does this all sound like I'm not being critical now?

This is shit that has been fed back to both Adam and Asim I couldn't tell you how many times! But my word isn't Gospel no matter how much I'd like to think it is. What I want may not be what thousands upon thousands of fans in South America and Asia want given how Konami takes on mass feedback.

I've come to accept that. I've also decided I don't feel like beating a dead horse over and over and over again about the same things whether on podcasts or in forums. People know my thoughts. Konami knows my thoughts. When the demo comes out I'll give honest thoughts once again.

I really like the direction of PES2018, I enjoyed the beta even though it wasn't nearly as good as offline. What I like most is the risk/reward elements. While you had problems with dribblers, I did not. While you didn't think the midfield supports you in attack I've set my team up so that they do. To each their own. We said on the podcast the beta is old code, whats the point of picking it apart when its going to be different in the demo? We'll analyze the demo for sure and give honest opinions when it comes out.

I am at a stage after doing podcasts for over 5 years where I'm fine giving my honest feedback and then playing PES/FIFA for what they are. See if I can enjoy them for what they are. And If I don't enjoy them I won't play them. I won't buy them. Life goes on. WE ARE NEVER GOING TO HAVE PS2 PES DEPTH AGAIN. It was a different era in gaming. We can either accept that gaming has changed, for which your perspective will undoubtedly change, or we can continue to sulk year after year after year. I've sulked for 10 years. I've been asking for the same shit for 10 years. The way Konami takes on mass feedback makes me think I'm def in a minority and the masses don't want the kind of depth that I want. Atleast PES 2018 feels like its trying to strike a balance for hardcore fans and casuals. Where as EA basically is all in for casual gamers.

So yea my perspective has changed. But my honest criticism and my honest feedback has not.

Unless I have got it wrong, they can get access to two EPL clubs so the Arsenal license might not be impacted, unless they have opted for another club. Could be wrong on the two EPL teams thing though.
the 2 EPL teams thing isn't what i read. If they do partnerships they have access to any team. But it's more expensive paying per team vs getting all teams in a league license. So the smart thing for Konami to do is, just get the important teams in each league. This is a way around EA's exclusive licensing deals.

Fulham blew a 1-0 lead in the last 5 minutes to draw 1-1 at home

They spent most of the game dribbling and doing tricks needlessly and aimlessly , Perfect partnership it seems with the new PES LOL

Lol, I really did laugh at this, mate.

If PES 18 plays anything like Fulham did...we're in for a world of hurt.

Complacent...lacking fundamentals...All sexy...no satisfaction.

I enjoyed FIFA 16 a lot. Even now occasionally enjoy some games. But it bothers me that with all those licenses, only the PL gets stadiums. They have that exclusivity with the Bundesliga, and I think they only have 5 or 4 stadiums. It's annoying how lazy it is.

PES would be smart to try and do what they did with La Liga in 2013, and get all Ligue 1 stadiums, and try to partner up there. Also, just add a bunch of generic stadiums!

The three things that keep me from playing an ML for more than two or three seasons is playing in the same 4 stadiums, the random home stadium for cup games, and the youth team problem

I'm gathering the whole licensing and OF legal shenanigans has disappeared into the background. Guess the deal there is you can't go telling users what they can put pictures of in their game, as it doesn't transmit that info to another user. From there, I suppose Konami have made the decision to not host the images and not to have a share function within the game.

I do get a tad nervous when I see PES Universe selling OF's though. Thats the stuff that will get FA's interested.

Agreed. I enjoyed FIFA 16 a lot. Even now occasionally enjoy some games. But it bothers me that with all those licenses, only the PL gets stadiums. They have that exclusivity with the Bundesliga, and I think they only have 5 or 4 stadiums. It's annoying how lazy it is.

PES would be smart to try and do what they did with La Liga in 2013, and get all Ligue 1 stadiums, and try to partner up there. Also, just add a bunch of generic stadiums!

The three things that keep me from playing an ML for more than two or three seasons is playing in the same 4 stadiums, the random home stadium for cup games, and the youth team problem
EA buys exclusive licensing only to hurt Konami not to give players more stadiums. They care only about money! like all companies.
They bought that Bundesliga exclusive deal just to keep Konami out. Nothing more.

Imo stadiums aren't the biggest deal. You see mostly the pitch in the game that's why not even ea bothers putting all that resource into recreating every pitch that they are able to.

There is an obsession with teams & leagues though, ask Yourselves this, " how many teams do I never use and in fact how many cups & leagues have I never bothered with".
I would happily swap out a league for stadium creator which at least gave us freedom to make smaller custom stadia.

Hi Deco-- I met Adam and Asim 3/4 years ago. I've been speaking with them on and off ever since. So I didn't just meet Adam and Asim this past E3 and become chummy lol. I've been friends with them for years. That has never held me back from being critical has it? They actually ask me for my honest opinions when they text me because I won't bullshit them and they respect that.

Sorry you feel that I have changed just because I actually like what I played from 2018...so far

I want to be completely honest with you all on here about what though HAS changed for me...perspective.

I was privy to conversations at E3 that aren't out in the public. It's through those conversations that I developed a new perspective. How the development worked, how resources were allocated, how feedback worked etc. For years I had a single track mind. I wanted a game that had the depth of the PS2 days with updated tech and graphics/presentation. And because thats what a lot of people on forums wanted I thought that too was what the masses wanted. You find out from the feedback Konami takes on that that is not really the case. Everyone wants different things. I am also 31 years old and finally have come to accept gaming has changed. If you can't see how sports gaming in general has changed over the years then you aren't opening your eyes.

PES 2018 isn't perfect. I never said it was. I would love better presentation, better PK system, better commentary, more error in PA pass assist even though it is better than 2017, weak foot accuracy more prevalent, more shooting variety, a more sensitive shooting power bar to replicate true to life tension, new tactical system, better A.I. (though I don't know how 2018s will be yet) better in game A.I. where they change depending on the situation i.e. winning or losing late win a match. Does this all sound like I'm not being critical now?

This is shit that has been fed back to both Adam and Asim I couldn't tell you how many times! But my word isn't Gospel no matter how much I'd like to think it is. What I want may not be what thousands upon thousands of fans in South America and Asia want given how Konami takes on mass feedback.

I've come to accept that. I've also decided I don't feel like beating a dead horse over and over and over again about the same things whether on podcasts or in forums. People know my thoughts. Konami knows my thoughts. When the demo comes out I'll give honest thoughts once again.

I really like the direction of PES2018, I enjoyed the beta even though it wasn't nearly as good as offline. What I like most is the risk/reward elements. While you had problems with dribblers, I did not. While you didn't think the midfield supports you in attack I've set my team up so that they do. To each their own. We said on the podcast the beta is old code, whats the point of picking it apart when its going to be different in the demo? We'll analyze the demo for sure and give honest opinions when it comes out.

I am at a stage after doing podcasts for over 5 years where I'm fine giving my honest feedback and then playing PES/FIFA for what they are. See if I can enjoy them for what they are. And If I don't enjoy them I won't play them. I won't buy them. Life goes on. WE ARE NEVER GOING TO HAVE PS2 PES DEPTH AGAIN. It was a different era in gaming. We can either accept that gaming has changed, for which your perspective will undoubtedly change, or we can continue to sulk year after year after year. I've sulked for 10 years. I've been asking for the same shit for 10 years. The way Konami takes on mass feedback makes me think I'm def in a minority and the masses don't want the kind of depth that I want. Atleast PES 2018 feels like its trying to strike a balance for hardcore fans and casuals. Where as EA basically is all in for casual gamers.

So yea my perspective has changed. But my honest criticism and my honest feedback has not.

Brian you're being oversensitive here . .I wanted to know why in this edition particularly that the silence is deafening regarding critiscism .... .I'm not a whingy ps2 pes lover for a kickoff .. you're 31 .. you're only a lad compared to me. .Daniel h in wenb won't have a word said against pes. . .don't end up like that. . .you honestly didn't see that the dribbling with top players was overpowered? Wow you must not have encountered the dudes that I played against. . .I know how to defend believe me but these shams were using my defenders as training cones and there was no support no matter what tactics I used to back up a forward on his lonesome, and the reasoning behind that is obviously that the game will be based on top players dribbling . ..as from what I encountered they could take on 5 players no probs . .I actually admired these guys for their skills but how they learned them so quickly on a new Beta is baffling. . .as you and others have said the new game is like relearning how to play Pes again .. well these guys must be absolute genius if they pick up a beta and played like they have had it for a month.

I'm a huge Pes fan and was shocked when they ditched Pes 2014 which had great potential and brought in Pes 2015 which I wouldn't play. .I thought it was a backward step to please the Pes5/6 fans who are now silent. ..15 was a bare bones back to basics game which was based around getting the ball to the centre of the opposition defence where a chasm would open which you could drive a truck through . .as for the fake computerised 15 passes at the back and launch it forward. .laughable. I don't come on here whinging about the faults of Pes games . .as a matter of fact I had great fun using the Pes 2016 Ml after the last patch and I still enjoy 17.. also Pes 2014 was revived by it's second last patch and was enjoyable until they released another patch about a week later which ruined it but nobody bothered playing it with the second last patch or Pes 2016 again because of their initial 2 month stint. . I'm not on here launching personal attacks on people. . not my style, I wanted to know why yourself and Matt and the lads have gone quiet and see no problems with the new game. . (even though they bribed Matt with the licensed Fulham) lol . .completely joking there.

We all want the best for the game . .there is silly over critiscism out there . but there are also real concerns and my concern is that the dribbling is overpowered with star players and can be abused that's all .. and I am very much looking forward to the new game which I know won't be perfect I always take from Pes what I can . . unless it's Pes 2015. .chill out buddy.

Last edited:
Brian you're being oversensitive here . .I wanted to know why in this edition particularly that the silence is deafening regarding critiscism .... .I'm not a whingy ps2 pes lover for a kickoff .. you're 31 .. you're only a lad compared to me. .Daniel h in wenb won't have a word said against pes. . .don't end up like that. . .you honestly didn't see that the dribbling with top players was overpowered? Wow you must not have encountered the dudes that I played against. . .I know how to defend believe me but these shams were using my defenders as training cones and there was no support no matter what tactics I used to back up a forward on his lonesome, and the reasoning behind that is obviously that the game will be based on top players dribbling . ..as from what I encountered they could take on 5 players no probs . .I actually admired these guys for their skills but how they learned them so quickly on a new Beta is baffling. . .as you and others have said the new game is like relearning how to play Pes again .. well these guys must be absolute genius if they pick up a beta and played like they have had it for a month.

I'm a huge Pes fan and was shocked when they ditched Pes 2014 which had great potential and brought in Pes 2015 which I wouldn't play. .I thought it was a backward step to please the Pes5/6 fans who are now silent. ..15 was a bare bones back to basics game which was based around getting the ball to the centre of the opposition defence where a chasm would open which you could drive a truck through . .as for the fake computerised 15 passes at the back and launch it forward. .laughable. I don't come on here whinging about the faults of Pes games . .as a matter of fact I had great fun using the Pes 2016 Ml after the last patch and I still enjoy 17.. also Pes 2014 was revived by it's second last patch and was enjoyable until they released another patch about a week later which ruined it but nobody bothered playing it with the second last patch or Pes 2016 again because of their initial 2 month stint. . I'm not on here launching personal attacks on people. . not my style, I wanted to know why yourself and Matt and the lads have gone quiet and see no problems with the new game. . (even though they bribed Matt with the licensed Fulham) lol . .completely joking there.

We all want the best for the game . .there is silly over critiscism out there . but there are also real concerns and my concern is that the dribbling is overpowered with star players and can be abused that's all .. and I am very much looking forward to the new game which I know won't be perfect I always take from Pes what I can . . unless it's Pes 2015. .chill out buddy.

Its all good man I'm chill lol. Must have interpreted your post wrong. You know I have a lot of respect for you we always had good chats in the past and Im sure we'll have good chats in the future. My perspective has changed but my honesty will not. I'll always tell it how it is with regards to my opinions. We'll definitely analyst things more deeply once demo is released.

Did you listen to our last podcast that was just released? We talked about some of the beta stuff.

Its all good man I'm chill lol. Must have interpreted your post wrong. You know I have a lot of respect for you we always had good chats in the past and Im sure we'll have good chats in the future. My perspective has changed but my honesty will not. I'll always tell it how it is with regards to my opinions. We'll definitely analyst things more deeply once demo is released.

Did you listen to our last podcast that was just released? We talked about some of the beta stuff.

No probs B-man. . .you are all nice guys on these forums I'm sorry if I gave you and Matt the wrong impression, I love listening to both of your views as well as the rest of the guys . . . . no harm intended. .this one is brief I see .. only 2 hours . .I'll give it a whirl tomorrow .. take it easy man.

Who is the oldest round here? No jive talk.

I'm 42. Just turned 42 on the 11th of last month, actually.

So due to a change of plans this evening I guess I can post about me and PES like I said I was going to.

So yeah, 42, so I go all the way back to Matchday on my dads Spectrum 48k, International Soccer cartridge on my own Commodore 64, and of course the Amiga days with Kick-Off/Player Manager and a certain wee game called Sensible Soccer, which would then go on to be known as SWOS.

The C64/Amiga days were crammed with attempts at capturing the beautiful game. Emlyn Hughes International Soccer was probably the peak on C64; a refined International Soccer in feel, and kept me going for ages. There was also the likes of Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona on C64 in which you played as the keeper in a highlights package style of play. Dunno what it was about that game but I played that a fair bit. Micropose Soccer was also bought, but I couldn't get into that game at all. One game which also stood out was Footballer of the Year on C64 which was a different take on things again. I could probably look up what that game was all about regards gameplay and alike, but I like my mind being fuzzy on some things.

The Amiga, before Kick-Off and SWOS dominated the scene, was awash with various takes and ideas, some faired better than others but most were PD games and perhaps a tad restricted, or offered novelty over depth. My dad would go down the Barras market in Glasgow every weekend to buy copies of games and he always bought whatever football games were on offer. I remember playing an Italia 90 manager sim that was completely in Italian, but managed to scrape by. There was another game that the name of which now escapes me that was essentially an FPS football game, again coded by somebody on the mainland continent that had found it's way into some wooden crate in a black market stall in Glasgow. Manchester United Europe was another I tried, and there were frankly tens and tens of others. Every single one got an outing, and believe me some didn't deserve it. Then of course Kick-Off and Swos happened.

SWOS and Kick-Off/Player Manager were out when I was turning 16 and also turning more to music, under age drinking and yes, the occasional bit of recreational drug use. Hey, it was the early 90's and The Stone Roses and overall Indie scene made a big impression on me and to this day is something I am thankful to have experienced, as I am also now thankful that my dad upgraded to a more powerful Amiga set-up and he gave me the 500. Up to that point I was quite a quiet, unassuming kid who loved his football, but after that it was all about combining my love of all my past times. Once my dad handed me over the 500, and with him heading to work abroad, I had a little more license and a philosophical mother, when I think back.

My mother "allowed" me to have my mates round and weekday evenings, once homework or study was complete and it wasn't a "girlfriend" night, we would play tournaments on SWOS while getting stoned and listening to music. It was perfect. I think my mum reasoned (she has never confirmed this) that we weren't hanging about the streets getting up to no good, at least all the time, and she probably liked I was close by seeing as my dad could be away for weeks at a time; guess she liked the feeling of security and the company in the house. It couldn't have been easy for her. My friends then are still my best friends now, and meeting each of our respective folks is like us meeting our "other mothers and fathers" so strong is the bond.

Then, after a couple of years of FIFA/ISS/Actua Soccer/Adidas-fucking-Power Soccer/god knows what else ISS Pro Evolution happened. Suddenly, in that haze of smoke that filled the air and quality tunes, we were being asked to think a little more. SWOS tournaments were always competitive, but this ISS Pro Evolution shit was asking for us to reach another level. This, gentlemen, was the good shit.

ISS Pro Evolution looked pretty, played pretty, and even though it might not prove the case now, not after over two decades of technological leaps and advancements and innovations in the genre, it might has well have been the real fucking thing. Man, I have such a vivid memory of my first goal with Ronarid (Ronaldo) in that game; rounded the keeper after being sent clear with a grounded through ball: "I AM RONARID!... I mean Ronaldo"

Ah, that first night (a Friday night, no less, so we all got a bit loaded) with ISS Pro was one of the best experiences in my life, when considering football videogames. That was the biggest jump I have experienced in terms of look, movement and gameplay in all my years playing football games. I remember us all sitting there, seeing cool realistic shit happening and watching replays: "Man, their heads even follow the ball" In the early hours of the Saturday morning in June 1997, around 1:30am, my mate Kenny scored a bicycle kick against Gav. We totally lost our shit...

"Alan! Keep the noise down!" was the call from my mother, who hadn't long gone to bed. "Sorry, Mrs Curdie" was the reply from my mates. We fell silent, but that was always going to happen anyway, as we watched the replay. We looked at one another and realised that shit was going to go down from here on in... and it was going to get real competitive. Magic.

There are so many memories I have from the years that followed but I simply couldn't go through them all here. One stand-out was with PES3. No, not the "Impulse sub", which was always amusing and had us in laughter at the dude doing it. You all know what I mean; Deco on a blue arrow balloons a shot miles over, early into the match; you pause the game, calmly; select Game Plan; get that useless dude "AFF!" There was no place for him on the pitch. No, it wasn't that, but what I did during EURO 2004 and edited a few teams, and didn't exactly go over the top when doing so. Just a few edits and boosts that I felt were in keeping with how the competition was panning out. A week after the tournament had finished, on a Thursday night, while we were waiting for Brazil's first match in the Copa America in the early hours of the Friday morning did we start a co-op replay of the tournament and went Portugal. We lost, in the final, against an AI Greece. The match before I scored with Maniche that wasn't entirely dissimilar to that which he scored against the Netherlands in the semi-final of the actual competition. Jesus! What a game PES3 was.

*Continued in my next post*

After me and my then girlfriend finally got a place together the PES nights were less frequent but still a weekly thing. The numbers were dwindling as folks moved from Cumbernauld due to relationships/career changes, but the core, the old school that was Kenny, Gav, Stew and I made it our mission to make sure that we got together once a month to do what we did best: a couple of beers, some weed, some chat, and plenty, PLENTY of PES. We weren't even doing that much weed any longer and was reserved mostly for those occasions. Ever played PES with like minded competitive folks who just happened to be your best mates and while a little baked? It's a wonderfully competitive, intense but most of all fun experience. Your focus on the game increases four-fold. The atmosphere generated by the one's and zero's is heightened. The commentary team will say something and you will be like "Fuck! That is true, man. The game is going down like that" before wondering if your console might be getting a hit.

I was 30 when PES5 was released and by then my girlfriend and my mates other halves were resigned to the fact that we needed that hit come new PES release, so they would plan a long weekend away together in order to allow us to get on with the serious business of PES. We'd take days off work so as to ensure we got maximum exposure for that first weekend. Lassies can get a hard time of it off us dudes at times but sometimes they can play a worldie and allow you to play a worldie... on Playstation.

In 2012 me and my long term girlfriend broke-up. Just a case of us knowing that while there was still undoubtedly love there, and that there always would be, enough of the spark had gone. Nothing ugly in the break-up and it was completely mutual, but inevitably it hit us both hard and was a very uncertain, often confusing time. Thankfully, I had WENB to keep me busy when not at work, and in early June 2012 I had my first opportunity to attend a playtest event at Konami's offices in London, for PES2013. I met @romagnoli from these boards for the first and only time on that trip down south. Smashing lad whom I thought was very chilled, easy going, but had an excellent eye for detail and of course excellent in the written word. I actually wanted to ask him if he too ever got a bit stooned when playing PES, ha!

A few months later I wrote my review for PES2013 for WENB and it was the happiest I had felt with any of my reviews for games in the series. I just thought it was a little more grown-up, more mature, more grounded. I never put a score at the end of it and some of the regulars, as well as the trolls and haters in the comments section, were saying I chickened out of scoring it. I was starting to get a bit fed-up with the community side of things, and it wasn't just WENB. I will always be thankful for Adam approaching me and asking me if I wanted to make a contribution; for him fast-tracking me and getting me on the podcast I had always listened to and enjoyed. Yes, even as a dude in his mid-30's; that little opportunity to get involved like I did in the community felt... I dunno... like all those years playing had paid off a wee bit. I'm going to sound like a dick but I felt vindicated when people started to really love PES2013 and, to this day, I do take a bit of pleasure when I read people speaking of PES2013 in flowery prose. I mean, I didn't make the game, but for whatever reason it just makes me feel a wee bit proud, as my community involvement for the year prior to the release of the game was the most rewarding, yet my private life was a bit rudderless and uncertain (I lost my Grandmother in late 2011 too which didn't help) and eventually culminated in me splitting up with my very long term partner. I dunno, just things moving to another level regards my involvement and the opportunities given to me, along with the folks I met, has me look back at that time with great fondness.

Then 2013, the year, happened.

I'm going to stop it there, for now, but will come back to this. Pretty important I come back to this, when I think about it, as it is proving very cathartic.

im really looking forward to starting up a new master league on 2018 i had an amazing team on myclub ronaldo. fat ronaldo messi but the online modes just dont interest me like trying to get a small serie b club to the champions league final by only signing young italian players and helping them grow into stars

Who is the oldest round here? No jive talk.

I'm 42. Just turned 42 on the 11th of last month, actually.

So due to a change of plans this evening I guess I can post about me and PES like I said I was going to.

So yeah, 42, so I go all the way back to Matchday on my dads Spectrum 48k, International Soccer cartridge on my own Commodore 64, and of course the Amiga days with Kick-Off/Player Manager and a certain wee game called Sensible Soccer, which would then go on to be known as SWOS.

The C64/Amiga days were crammed with attempts at capturing the beautiful game. Emlyn Hughes International Soccer was probably the peak on C64; a refined International Soccer in feel, and kept me going for ages. There was also the likes of Peter Shilton's Handball Maradona on C64 in which you played as the keeper in a highlights package style of play. Dunno what it was about that game but I played that a fair bit. Micropose Soccer was also bought, but I couldn't get into that game at all. One game which also stood out was Footballer of the Year on C64 which was a different take on things again. I could probably look up what that game was all about regards gameplay and alike, but I like my mind being fuzzy on some things.

The Amiga, before Kick-Off and SWOS dominated the scene, was awash with various takes and ideas, some faired better than others but most were PD games and perhaps a tad restricted, or offered novelty over depth. My dad would go down the Barras market in Glasgow every weekend to buy copies of games and he always bought whatever football games were on offer. I remember playing an Italia 90 manager sim that was completely in Italian, but managed to scrape by. There was another game that the name of which now escapes me that was essentially an FPS football game, again coded by somebody on the mainland continent that had found it's way into some wooden crate in a black market stall in Glasgow. Manchester United Europe was another I tried, and there were frankly tens and tens of others. Every single one got an outing, and believe me some didn't deserve it. Then of course Kick-Off and Swos happened.

SWOS and Kick-Off/Player Manager were out when I was turning 16 and also turning more to music, under age drinking and yes, the occasional bit of recreational drug use. Hey, it was the early 90's and The Stone Roses and overall Indie scene made a big impression on me and to this day is something I am thankful to have experienced, as I am also now thankful that my dad upgraded to a more powerful Amiga set-up and he gave me the 500. Up to that point I was quite a quiet, unassuming kid who loved his football, but after that it was all about combining my love of all my past times. Once my dad handed me over the 500, and with him heading to work abroad, I had a little more license and a philosophical mother, when I think back.

My mother "allowed" me to have my mates round and weekday evenings, once homework or study was complete and it wasn't a "girlfriend" night, we would play tournaments on SWOS while getting stoned and listening to music. It was perfect. I think my mum reasoned (she has never confirmed this) that we weren't hanging about the streets getting up to no good, at least all the time, and she probably liked I was close by seeing as my dad could be away for weeks at a time; guess she liked the feeling of security and the company in the house. It couldn't have been easy for her. My friends then are still my best friends now, and meeting each of our respective folks is like us meeting our "other mothers and fathers" so strong is the bond.

Then, after a couple of years of FIFA/ISS/Actua Soccer/Adidas-fucking-Power Soccer/god knows what else ISS Pro Evolution happened. Suddenly, in that haze of smoke that filled the air and quality tunes, we were being asked to think a little more. SWOS tournaments were always competitive, but this ISS Pro Evolution shit was asking for us to reach another level. This, gentlemen, was the good shit.

ISS Pro Evolution looked pretty, played pretty, and even though it might not prove the case now, not after over two decades of technological leaps and advancements and innovations in the genre, it might has well have been the real fucking thing. Man, I have such a vivid memory of my first goal with Ronarid (Ronaldo) in that game; rounded the keeper after being sent clear with a grounded through ball: "I AM RONARID!... I mean Ronaldo"

Ah, that first night (a Friday night, no less, so we all got a bit loaded) with ISS Pro was one of the best experiences in my life, when considering football videogames. That was the biggest jump I have experienced in terms of look, movement and gameplay in all my years playing football games. I remember us all sitting there, seeing cool realistic shit happening and watching replays: "Man, their heads even follow the ball" In the early hours of the Saturday morning in June 1997, around 1:30am, my mate Kenny scored a bicycle kick against Gav. We totally lost our shit...

"Alan! Keep the noise down!" was the call from my mother, who hadn't long gone to bed. "Sorry, Mrs Curdie" was the reply from my mates. We fell silent, but that was always going to happen anyway, as we watched the replay. We looked at one another and realised that shit was going to go down from here on in... and it was going to get real competitive. Magic.

There are so many memories I have from the years that followed but I simply couldn't go through them all here. One stand-out was with PES3. No, not the "Impulse sub", which was always amusing and had us in laughter at the dude doing it. You all know what I mean; Deco on a blue arrow balloons a shot miles over, early into the match; you pause the game, calmly; select Game Plan; get that useless dude "AFF!" There was no place for him on the pitch. No, it wasn't that, but what I did during EURO 2004 and edited a few teams, and didn't exactly go over the top when doing so. Just a few edits and boosts that I felt were in keeping with how the competition was panning out. A week after the tournament had finished, on a Thursday night, while we were waiting for Brazil's first match in the Copa America in the early hours of the Friday morning did we start a co-op replay of the tournament and went Portugal. We lost, in the final, against an AI Greece. The match before I scored with Maniche that wasn't entirely dissimilar to that which he scored against the Netherlands in the semi-final of the actual competition. Jesus! What a game PES3 was.

*Continued in my next post*

Great post Curdstar . .btw I'm nearly 54 but look in my thirties .. that's what the birds tell me anyway . .you're only a baby man. . .I only discovered the playstation through my nephew in the late 90's and have played Pes since the International Superstar series and then every title since that. . I used to play with a mate from a computer maintenance course in 1999 as his gaff was on the way home. . this guy had a few quid and had his attic converted into a games room, the type of attic where you walk straight into it from the stairs. . .. wide screen tv. . the works. . .used to play for hours for a few years after that up until Pes 4 until he became a copper .. he wouldn't mix with the riff raff anymore ha ha. . but have played it by myself ever since. . Curdstar the feckin stone roses? No way. . never liked them. . I was a huge smiths fan for years and still love ac/dc .. (c'mon they're Scottish really). . saw them a few times in Dublin . . and I didn't balloon that shot over on a blue arrow on purpose. Like yourself I thought that Pes 3 stood out as different at the time. . now . . where's me slippers? . .

After me and my then girlfriend finally got a place together the PES nights were less frequent but still a weekly thing. The numbers were dwindling as folks moved from Cumbernauld due to relationships/career changes, but the core, the old school that was Kenny, Gav, Stew and I made it our mission to make sure that we got together once a month to do what we did best: a couple of beers, some weed, some chat, and plenty, PLENTY of PES. We weren't even doing that much weed any longer and was reserved mostly for those occasions. Ever played PES with like minded competitive folks who just happened to be your best mates and while a little baked? It's a wonderfully competitive, intense but most of all fun experience. Your focus on the game increases four-fold. The atmosphere generated by the one's and zero's is heightened. The commentary team will say something and you will be like "Fuck! That is true, man. The game is going down like that" before wondering if your console might be getting a hit.

I was 30 when PES5 was released and by then my girlfriend and my mates other halves were resigned to the fact that we needed that hit come new PES release, so they would plan a long weekend away together in order to allow us to get on with the serious business of PES. We'd take days off work so as to ensure we got maximum exposure for that first weekend. Lassies can get a hard time of it off us dudes at times but sometimes they can play a worldie and allow you to play a worldie... on Playstation.

In 2012 me and my long term girlfriend broke-up. Just a case of us knowing that while there was still undoubtedly love there, and that there always would be, enough of the spark had gone. Nothing ugly in the break-up and it was completely mutual, but inevitably it hit us both hard and was a very uncertain, often confusing time. Thankfully, I had WENB to keep me busy when not at work, and in early June 2012 I had my first opportunity to attend a playtest event at Konami's offices in London, for PES2013. I met @romagnoli from these boards for the first and only time on that trip down south. Smashing lad whom I thought was very chilled, easy going, but had an excellent eye for detail and of course excellent in the written word. I actually wanted to ask him if he too ever got a bit stooned when playing PES, ha!

A few months later I wrote my review for PES2013 for WENB and it was the happiest I had felt with any of my reviews for games in the series. I just thought it was a little more grown-up, more mature, more grounded. I never put a score at the end of it and some of the regulars, as well as the trolls and haters in the comments section, were saying I chickened out of scoring it. I was starting to get a bit fed-up with the community side of things, and it wasn't just WENB. I will always be thankful for Adam approaching me and asking me if I wanted to make a contribution; for him fast-tracking me and getting me on the podcast I had always listened to and enjoyed. Yes, even as a dude in his mid-30's; that little opportunity to get involved like I did in the community felt... I dunno... like all those years playing had paid off a wee bit. I'm going to sound like a dick but I felt vindicated when people started to really love PES2013 and, to this day, I do take a bit of pleasure when I read people speaking of PES2013 in flowery prose. I mean, I didn't make the game, but for whatever reason it just makes me feel a wee bit proud, as my community involvement for the year prior to the release of the game was the most rewarding, yet my private life was a bit rudderless and uncertain (I lost my Grandmother in late 2011 too which didn't help) and eventually culminated in me splitting up with my very long term partner. I dunno, just things moving to another level regards my involvement and the opportunities given to me, along with the folks I met, has me look back at that time with great fondness.

Then 2013, the year, happened.

I'm going to stop it there, for now, but will come back to this. Pretty important I come back to this, when I think about it, as it is proving very cathartic.

Wow, didn't know that you were that involved with the game and the community.

Since I'm pushing 44,I'm no spring chicken either,got underwear older than you @curdstar :)
Started playing Iss on the PlayStation 1,then played This is football,luvly game on the same console
Went back to konami with Pes 3 on Pc,i remember playing Pes 5 and 6 all the way up to the release of Pes 2011, must have had 30-40 seasons on those two.
Been cheating with Fifa 15-16,but always gone back to Pes and always will,can't beat this game no matter how much I/we complain.
Loving my ML on 17 Atm,great game,and I think 18 will probably/hopefully be a step in the right direction.

Music has always been my biggest interest along with supporting my local team and of course gaming.
And on that music note,still play in a nasty punk band,can't beat turning up that orange amp to 11 and riff til you crap your pants.

One other thing that makes this game such a cool game,can't beat the community around it,not the same vibe over at "the big game" forum
Always love reading,chatting with you lot

Since I'm pushing 44,I'm no spring chicken either,got underwear older than you @curdstar :)
Started playing Iss on the PlayStation 1,then played This is football,luvly game on the same console
Went back to konami with Pes 3 on Pc,i remember playing Pes 5 and 6 all the way up to the release of Pes 2011, must have had 30-40 seasons on those two.
Been cheating with Fifa 15-16,but always gone back to Pes and always will,can't beat this game no matter how much I/we complain.
Loving my ML on 17 Atm,great game,and I think 18 will probably/hopefully be a step in the right direction.

Music has always been my biggest interest along with supporting my local team and of course gaming.
And on that music note,still play in a nasty punk band,can't beat turning up that orange amp to 11 and riff til you crap your pants.

One other thing that makes this game such a cool game,can't beat the community around it,not the same vibe over at "the big game" forum
Always love reading,chatting with you lot

I played in a band myself years ago Rock.. . guitar. . we'll have a jam someday buddy and let Back in Black rip.

Back
Top Bottom