PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Zee, I haven't found constant/consistent enjoyment that I had Pre-PS3. Since PS360 it was hit and miss. I'm just tired of all the same deja vu videos, impressions, talks, posts, responses, playtests, you name it, every friggin' year. I've seen the exact same issues in the videos that I've disliked in 2016. I'm just tired of it all.

I'll accept it for what it is and kill any expectation from now on or just leave it altogether.

In both cases I'm not happy.

So please allow me this one opinion to have, coming from me after a decade of waiting. I think I've been more than patient enough.

I'll retweet after I've played the demo. Just wait a little.

You are getting old :LOL:

I get you, I know exactly how frustrating it is. Knowing that when any Konami affiliates say this is the best PES ever it's probably bullshit. But honestly speaking very few games these days spark my interest and usually turn out to be duds.

The romance we had with gaming is gone and the problem we have is that us older generation guys aren't the target market anymore. We are also more offline or online players and won't have long weekend sessions or tournaments with friends so our needs have changed.

But writing the game off without playing it is obscene. I get that you are much more pessimistic but I am an eternally hopeful person.

You understand pace, balance, AI collisions how things feel far better than how they look.

I still have this feeling after doing alot of research lastnight that this game is very different to last year's. Yes there will be issues like there has been with every PES or WE game ever released. Crab walk Ala PES5 anyone?

Else it means more guitar for me for 2016 / 2017.did I mention that I am becoming pretty good at it :BAND:

I wanted to refrain from posting my reaction here. Like you said, and like I always do as well, it's always wiser to wait for the demo. That said, I can't help not feel deja vu and disappointment. Like you, I've been waiting for that realistic looking and playing game since the jump to PS3/360, and I'm still waiting. I'm 36 now, and don't want to sound too dramatic, but I'm honestly tired of waiting now. Waiting too long isn't healthy, and I should just accept the fact it will not happen. So either I move on and forget football games altogether, or just play them for what they are. That era (mid 90s - mid 2000s) will never leave my memory, and it is responsible for all my high hopes and expectations, but it was a different generation, and I guess I should just accept that I'm not the target audience and don't belong to the one we have now, and just move along.

Sorry for this sort of depressing post everyone. I really didn't want to post, but I guess I couldn't help it. It's the one forum I belong to and been on for 9 years after all. Just don't take my words as gospel or anything. I'm just one person among millions. I have my expectations and you have yours.

Will still play the demo. But, anyway...

I hope the rest enjoy this game.

This.

I'm 41 and if you showed me PES17 when PES1 was out (or 20 years ago) id be amazed. Its ironic the game is called Evolution because there isn't any.
PES or ISS beauty was gameplay. The AI was so good. Way ahead of its time and we loved a hard fault 1-0 whereas fans of the other game loved a 7-6 with goals from halfway line.

I just cant believe that PES is as the state it is now. Its always a case of next year for Konami.

I'm trying not to make a judgement without playing it but all the flaws (bar keepers) are still there which means again its probably a non purchase for me.I'll have to settle for Fifa again which part of me hates doing as if youd told me 20 years ago id buy Fifa I wouldn't believe it.

This.

I'm 41 and if you showed me PES17 when PES1 was out (or 20 years ago) id be amazed. Its ironic the game is called Evolution because there isn't any.
PES or ISS beauty was gameplay. The AI was so good. Way ahead of its time and we loved a hard fault 1-0 whereas fans of the other game loved a 7-6 with goals from halfway line.

I just cant believe that PES is as the state it is now. Its always a case of next year for Konami.

I'm trying not to make a judgement without playing it but all the flaws (bar keepers) are still there which means again its probably a non purchase for me.I'll have to settle for Fifa again which part of me hates doing as if youd told me 20 years ago id buy Fifa I wouldn't believe it.

yeah, if Fifa is much better than last year i might buy. Maybe because i play NBA 2K and Pro Yakyuu Spirits Baseball my expectations are to high for football games of today. Because these two football games are behind baseball and basketball games.

Last edited:
Sometimes i think about You in EvoWeb. What do you want for god sake? Some facts for You:

1. You wanted slow pace than in Pes 2016. You have slow pace in Pes 2017

2. You wanted better refs. You have better refs in Pes 2017.

3. You wanted better keepers and their animations. You have in Pes 2017.

4. You wanted better atmosphere. You have better atmosphere.

5. You wanted better night lighting. You have better lighting.

6. You wanted better crowd. You have better crowd in Pes 2017.

7. Fetishists nets ( like me :D) wanted better nets. You have better nets in Pes 2017.

8. You wanted sharing option files. You have sharing in Pes 2017.

9. You wanted better tactics. You have better tactics in Pes 2017

10. You wanted more animations. You have more animations in Pes 2017.

WTF? It's sick! I tell you your problem. You don't want good game you want perfect game!

Well, I want it to look close to the real game overall. Player movement, tactics, shape, everything. But you can just ignore me.

You are getting old :LOL:

I get you, I know exactly how frustrating it is. Knowing that when any Konami affiliates say this is the best PES ever it's probably bullshit. But honestly speaking very few games these days spark my interest and usually turn out to be duds.

The romance we had with gaming is gone and the problem we have is that us older generation guys aren't the target market anymore. We are also more offline or online players and won't have long weekend sessions or tournaments with friends so our needs have changed.

But writing the game off without playing it is obscene. I get that you are much more pessimistic but I am an eternally hopeful person.

You understand pace, balance, AI collisions how things feel far better than how they look.

I still have this feeling after doing alot of research lastnight that this game is very different to last year's. Yes there will be issues like there has been with every PES or WE game ever released. Crab walk Ala PES5 anyone?

Else it means more guitar for me for 2016 / 2017.did I mention that I am becoming pretty good at it :BAND:

If it's age then I would get bored of other games as well. I still spend a lot of time on other games. I clocked in around 40 hours in Saints Row IV around 2 weeks ago and enjoyed every bit. Currently playing on Vita and Wii U and still having fun. PES though, I've had enough of it all. More of the same over all. Sick of the yearly hyperbole. I'm turned off. I'd demand a reboot (like anyone cares), or some other company chime in with their philosophy.

I'm still playing the demo nevertheless. If it doesn't push me into buying the game, I'm sticking to PES 2015 and waiting for Next Year™ .

This.

Well, I wouldn't say there isn't any evolution. It's just minuscule imo. At this point though, I'd want a revolution, revamp, reboot.

Last edited:
Sometimes i think about You in EvoWeb. What do you want for god sake? Some facts for You:

1. You wanted slow pace than in Pes 2016. You have slow pace in Pes 2017

2. You wanted better refs. You have better refs in Pes 2017.

3. You wanted better keepers and their animations. You have in Pes 2017.

4. You wanted better atmosphere. You have better atmosphere.

5. You wanted better night lighting. You have better lighting.

6. You wanted better crowd. You have better crowd in Pes 2017.

7. Fetishists nets ( like me :D) wanted better nets. You have better nets in Pes 2017.

8. You wanted sharing option files. You have sharing in Pes 2017.

9. You wanted better tactics. You have better tactics in Pes 2017

10. You wanted more animations. You have more animations in Pes 2017.

WTF? It's sick! I tell you your problem. You don't want good game you want perfect game!

hehe well said. :)

i'd love for 2K to come in this market. There's room. They make tons off NBA.
Something else is what everyone needs. I bet it would put a jolt into EA and Konami..
The more competition the harder they'll work for the sale.. Better for us.

Last edited:
Maybe it's better if we try the demo first? Before we pass judgement and start asking for changes.

I agree with this. Although it doesn't look like there is much changes to shooting I have to at least see how it feels first. they really need to tweak the way shooing power up works. if you go over say 2/3 of the power bar it should go over if you're more than 12 yards out (depending on context)

Because it's cheating :LOL: Highest difficulty levels in PES/FIFA are pure cheat. It always has been like that.

There are 4 games I've played at highest difficulty level. PES 6, FIFA 06, PES 2011 and FIFA 15. You can obtain the skill to beat it easily but it's not fun anymore. AI cheating is so annoying that I prefer to play on Professional in both of them. It's a balance between fun and AI cheating on this level.

Well, he also talked about the difficulty to go through defenses. He says it's already difficult on professional. If they fixed that, it's a great improvement over Pes 2016, since i found it to be estremely easy to just go through defenders.

If it's age then I would get bored of other games as well. I still spend a lot of time on other games. I clocked in around 40 hours in Saints Row IV around 2 weeks ago and enjoyed every bit. Currently playing on Vita and Wii U and still having fun. PES though, I've had enough of it all. More of the same over all. Sick of the yearly hyperbole. I'm turned off. I'd demand a reboot (like anyone cares), or some other company chime in with their philosophy.

You aren't judging Saints Row with the same sort of scrutiny though. You're not holding it to the same standards. When you continue to play Saints Row you're simply asking yourself whether or not you're having fun. What you're not doing is asking whether this is an authentic and accurate simulation of an alien invasion being single-handedly fended off by some guy who was formerly a member of the world's most powerful street gang and is now the President of the USA who also has superpowers. Does this fit my philosophy of how a President should be able to drive tanks to fight off zombie hordes? Is the AI of these alien armies true to the alien armies I've seen fighting American street gangs in real life?

When you play PES you don't ask yourself if you're having fun anymore. And even if you do ask yourself that question, there are so many more factors which impact whether or not you're having fun that it really isn't the same question at all.

And fact is, if you're still playing PES 2015, you're getting a ridiculous number of hours out of one title. 40 hours of Saints Row? Some people probably hit 40 hours playing the PES demo every year.

Last edited:
No offence but when last have you watched Barca and Atletico play? The tiki taki style when you a barca fan is stroke inducing. They teeter on the brink with such a compact style in real life. Also realise that these teams are setup to play a certain way.

So you're claiming that this is due to team id?

You aren't judging Saints Row with the same sort of scrutiny though. You're not holding it to the same standards. When you continue to play Saints Row you're simply asking yourself whether or not you're having fun. What you're not doing is asking whether this is an authentic and accurate simulation of an alien invasion being single-handedly fended off by some guy who was formerly a member of the world's most powerful street gang and is now the President of the USA who also has superpowers. Does this fit my philosophy of how a President should be able to drive tanks to fight off zombie hordes? Is the AI of these alien armies true to the alien armies I've seen fighting American street gangs in real life?

When you play PES you don't ask yourself if you're having fun anymore. And even if you do ask yourself that question, there are so many more factors which impact whether or not you're having fun that it really isn't the same question at all.

And fact is, if you're still playing PES 2015, you're getting a ridiculous number of hours out of one title. 40 hours of Saints Row? Some people probably hit 40 hours playing the PES demo every year.
hit-the-nail-on-the-head-hit-the-nail-on-the-head-english-idioms-bridger-jones-com.jpg

No offence but when last have you watched Barca and Atletico play? The tiki taki style when you a barca fan is stroke inducing. They teeter on the brink with such a compact style in real life. Also realise that these teams are setup to play a certain way.

Against each other? Probably the Champions League game.

Im not saying things dont get chaotic at times in any game of football, but that scenario shown in PES looks plain silly. Not only are they all congesting into one tight area, almost warping into each other as there is not enough space... but its Atletico attacking and their full back, giving them width (im assuming its a full back here) for whatever reason whilst Atletico have the ball, turns around and runs away.

The width is gone, the 2 defenders that Barca do have in position are static and as soon as the Atletico forward got that ball, there was no urgency or no chance in all honesty that the defenders would do anything useful.

Barcelona may play tika taka in tight spaces, but that defending and the way that all played out was dire. You can defend the game, im going to defend the game.. I love PES, I always get sucked into buying it and this year will be no different. But when blatant stuff like that happens, it just sticks out and needs to be questioned.

In all fairness comparing sports games and other kind of games is rather pointless..these games pride themselves and advertise themselves as simulations . You could compare say PES to say EA golf would be acceptable I suppose. I'm guessing golf fans wouldnt be happy if every club could hit it 400 yards for example as they would expect clubs to be close to reality as football fans wouldn't expect all players to be able to dribble round 4 defenders ..just a thought

In all fairness comparing sports games and other kind of games is rather pointless..these games pride themselves and advertise themselves as simulations . You could compare say PES to say EA golf would be acceptable I suppose. I'm guessing golf fans wouldnt be happy if every club could hit it 400 yards for example as they would expect clubs to be close to reality as football fans wouldn't expect all players to be able to dribble round 4 defenders ..just a thought
It's funny you should say that... Because all of EA's golf games over the last 4-5 years have been the exact same piece-of-piss game requiring no skill to hit a straight shot 350 yards and with MID-FLIGHT (!) shot adjustment options.

Imagine hitting a shot and then being able to bend the ball when it was half-way towards the goal, SWOS style, in a serious football game... Ridiculous.

It's needed a reboot for a long time, but it sells regardless - the last one sold entirely based on the switch to Frostbite, which gave it fantastic graphics - so they're not going to take it seriously for a long time. It took an indie developer to come up with The Golf Club, a realistic golf game, and give the first real alternative golf game for years.

I wonder if we'll ever see an indie developer achieve success with a more realistic alternative to PES and FIFA... I think both games need more competition to force them to try harder. Judging by the videos we've seen of both so far, they have a lot of the same core issues, be that supershots and no fouls, or no tactical variety.

Last edited:
Pes just isn't as good as it was..period!

I'm 41 too and I share the same frustrations and yerning many pes/Iss vets do.

Its not age because I still love mixing and many pursuits I enjoyed in my twenties as well as gaming and other games..

The depth and replay value pes once had is gone.Im going to try the demo and I hope I'm blown away,if not its back to the guitar for me too..

Last edited:
Another good gameplay footage vs A.I, this is where PES shine playing against computer. The gameplay looks great it's not perfect, yes. But good enough to enjoy playing master league.

Good find, lots better. My only niggles (and im pointing them out and not the positives as overall I liked it... 1 - the AI runs blind at times straight into a player, 2 - The Torres volley, that should feel special if someone controls it on their chest and volleys home. But there, it looked cheap and harped back to the old laser in the corner issue. 3- 5 shots, 5 on target for Atletico, again small sample size so its not a big thing.

The more I see of the AI, the better I feel about things being tweaked enough for me to not be letdown this year.

Against each other? Probably the Champions League game.

Im not saying things dont get chaotic at times in any game of football, but that scenario shown in PES looks plain silly. Not only are they all congesting into one tight area, almost warping into each other as there is not enough space... but its Atletico attacking and their full back, giving them width (im assuming its a full back here) for whatever reason whilst Atletico have the ball, turns around and runs away.

The width is gone, the 2 defenders that Barca do have in position are static and as soon as the Atletico forward got that ball, there was no urgency or no chance in all honesty that the defenders would do anything useful.

Barcelona may play tika taka in tight spaces, but that defending and the way that all played out was dire. You can defend the game, im going to defend the game.. I love PES, I always get sucked into buying it and this year will be no different. But when blatant stuff like that happens, it just sticks out and needs to be questioned.

Okay see now you saying I am defending the game. I am opening your mind up to the possibility that you may be presumptuous on judging the game on the videos.

If this is deemed as defending Konami then so be it.

Nothing special. Nets looks like in 70's. Animations and physics much worse than in Pes 2017. Pace similar to Pes 2017. In my opinion Pes 2017>Pes 2011.

You clearly didn't play PES 2011. I wasn't talking about animations. Or that it's a better game. The goal nets and shooting is clearly way better than PES 2017. In 2017 it still looks like a spider web and shooting is like a rocket launcher. From what I saw the pace is fast and then there are matches that the pace is actually good in PES 2017, it's inconsistent.

Anyways I found this match too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mq53kB20g4

Anyone that is worried about the AI you should watch this. It's very good and active. This had a really good pace to it, realistic if I might say, passing looks great, everything looks good visually and gameplay wise but the shooting is still ridiculously fast and they still have some of those awkward shooting animations. They always have something to mess up.

I've been riding my hobbyhorse through the few single-player vs AI vids that have appeared.

I've been comparing the fouls/free kicks ratio to my experience with PES2016. Nothing has changed, and it's a damn shame.

That one Barca-Atletico match where the final foul-count was 3-2 (pitifully low, but at least better than nothing) was an anomaly.

All the others end either 0-1, 1-0 etc., in fouls. At halftime it's almost always 0-0 in fouls.

I would ask what the testers who assured us that 'refs are fixed now' make of the lack of fouls committed by the AI. But of course they didn't play the AI.

This nonsense about some refs deliberately being more lenient than others is just spin. 'Hmmm, we can't restore fouls and free kicks to the game or the online players will have too many and start screaming at us. Let's keep everything exactly as it was in PES2016, but put a narrative gloss on it!'

No matter how good PES2017 is otherwise – and every PES game is in some sense good, always value for money, always many tens of hours of enjoyment – this fouls-free gameplay is a massive stain on the series.

But as many have remarked already, us oldies are no longer the target demographic.

Last edited:
That video looks like there's lots of space and easy to pass through the AI ..after the france goal it was ping pong perfect passing from kick off until there was a chance..maybe higher difficulty and manual might prevent that

No matter how good PES2017 is otherwise – and every PES game is in some sense good, always value for money, always many tens of hours of enjoyment – this fouls-free gameplay is a massive stain on the series.
My biggest disappointment personally is the super-shots. I was thinking we were going to see the back of them given the word on the street, but then I see this in my Facebook feed:

1C9vl00.jpg

Oh.

Okay see now you saying I am defending the game. I am opening your mind up to the possibility that you may be presumptuous on judging the game on the videos.

If this is deemed as defending Konami then so be it.

Making a comment based on a video showing the game is valid. Its not presumptuous to state a fact that is there to see.

I await your next smart alec retort.:SMUG:

That video looks like there's lots of space and easy to pass through the AI ..after the france goal it was ping pong perfect passing from kick off until there was a chance..maybe higher difficulty and manual might prevent that

What video are you watching? I have seen so many passing mistakes. Obviously the great passers are gonna have accurate passing, guys in what sense for example seeing Iniesta miss passing during the game so much, certain players have great passing accuracy, that's from the stats, and it should show in the game. That's the reality of it.

Back
Top Bottom