PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

My oh my, this game has really clicked for me (again) after I really have worked on the fact that I have to look at where my teammates make their runs when passing, before I have mostly tried to place the ball where I WANTED, not where my teammate wanted. I guess thats the way to play when using PA 1 (just mash the X button...) etc but when playing manual that does'nt apply.
So important this. Against the AI and online I find that not every player is going to do the necessary because my tactics require it.

I must admit I enjoy this more than controlling my players style of play and areas he plays into.

My oh my, this game has really clicked for me (again) after I really have worked on the fact that I have to look at where my teammates make their runs when passing, before I have mostly tried to place the ball where I WANTED, not where my teammate wanted. I guess thats the way to play when using PA 1 (just mash the X button...) etc but when playing manual that does'nt apply.
on the back of this and i think its related i have been using directional arrows as i really need to relearn this game. It has helped me immensely as i thought your players only made forward runs but you can make them run into space. This also works to create dummy runs to create space. I wished i had filmed it but i scored a goal. Right midfielder had is out wide 35 yards from goal. I pointed for my first striker to run near post and that dragged a defender with him, i then ignored the run and whipped it in to the second striker who had lost his man in the area and had space due to the runner. Headed goal. I only realised what had happened after watching the replay so i now to try and use that method to create space

I thought your players only made forward runs but you can make them run into space.
I find manual teammate runs a double edged sword. On one hand they give you so much more control to orchestrate an attack. On the other they introduce a good deal of additional hassle into the game, and also reduce the possibility of enjoying brilliant independent (AI) runs.

I have ignored them lately, but maybe I could approach them like feints: set a limit, for example 2-4 per match.

which classic game you want to recreate?

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109113839.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109114326.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109114533.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109114808.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109115105.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109115213.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109115437.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109115705.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109115855.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109120325.jpg

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2017_20170109120533.jpg

on the back of this and i think its related i have been using directional arrows as i really need to relearn this game. It has helped me immensely as i thought your players only made forward runs but you can make them run into space. This also works to create dummy runs to create space. I wished i had filmed it but i scored a goal. Right midfielder had is out wide 35 yards from goal. I pointed for my first striker to run near post and that dragged a defender with him, i then ignored the run and whipped it in to the second striker who had lost his man in the area and had space due to the runner. Headed goal. I only realised what had happened after watching the replay so i now to try and use that method to create space

It's all about finding that balance of players with the cards they have, which range from creative playmaker, dummy runner, hole player, prolific winger advanced striker classic no 10 box to box etc they all have there running patterns, once you get that picture right it's fkn amazing, me for example with one setup I play is a 4-3-3 upfront I have advanced striker, creative playmaker, advanced striker and in the midfield I have an anchor man a classic no 10 who doesn't move and a box to box, what I try to aim for is giving that ball to my classic no 10 who then passes nice thru balls to my advanced strikers who run forward or I mix it up by giving it to a strong creative player who comes back from the front and lays it off to both my advanced strikers on each side, that's why for me this game is so addictive.

Last edited:
following on to my previous post i am now using all directional arrows to really try and learn this game. I hated advanced through ball until i put on the guides to understand it and it is fantastic you can really see with the guides how it works, how you can bend through balls. I think it was my thought process on feeling less superior by using guides lol ..put to really understand the game when you are not used to it after a 10 year gap it helps immensely and surprisingly hasn't taken the immersion out

It's all about finding that balance of players with the cards they have, which range from creative playmaker, dummy runner, hole player, prolific winger advanced striker classic no 10 box to box etc they all have there running patterns, once you get that picture right it's fkn amazing, me for example with one setup I play is a 4-3-3 upfront I have advanced striker, creative playmaker, advanced striker and in the midfield I have an anchor man a classic no 10 who doesn't move and a box to box, what I try to aim for is giving that ball to my classic no 10 who then passes nice thru balls to my advanced strikers who run forward or I mix it up by giving it to a strong creative player who comes back from the front and lays it off to both my advanced strikers on each side, that's why for me this game is so addictive.

Great post. I think player cards or IDs are important and they are overlooked by many

Great post. I think player cards or IDs are important and they are overlooked by many

Yeah I guess people that came from FIFA to play pes wouldn't understand the depth of the game, like team spirit, player cards, which for some can be frustrating, till they have a proper look, fifa is all set in its way the way players run, yeah they do diagonal side forward runs, but not player id related just random, whereas in pes it's very tactical Eventually when u find the right balance of players the flow of football can be magical. Also in the old days there was a option called teamwork whereas u click on a player and it will give a number how well he gels with that player, it's in this year but it's invisible you need to focus on the pitch to see who gels with who and who doesn't, for example I bought a player Gabriel barbosa amazing player, played him a full season but he always seemed disinterested in creating runs finding space he'd get knocked off the ball easily, then I'd replace him with dybala who I also bought and a massive difference straight away, so I was curious to why this was happening and I went into the players stats and noticed Gabriel had a very low formation bar, meaning he is gonna take a long time to understand the formation, whereas dybala had a longer bar and seemed to understand the gameplan better and dybala also had a higher passion bar than Gabriel, passion means finding the space to receive the ball, so yeah awesome stuff, combine all that with the connection between players and it's limitless what this game can do, the pes team are on the right track.

Last edited:
On the subject of player cards, am I going crazy, or was there a way to "turn them off" years ago?

The game is on another level tactically compared to the competition, but, there are occasions where I wish I could say to my full-backs "stay back, don't swap over", and turn off a midfielder's penchant to roam forward.

(I realise in reality it's not as simple as saying "stop doing this thing you've made your career doing", but I think that's where a game like Football Manager nails it - tell a high-tempo player to play a slower tempo game, for example, and they'll keep doing the opposite, until eventually they adapt.)

Doesnt Matts 5 minute fix with fluid formation make full backs stay back..in defensive tactic set full backs as center back position..forgive me it thats not what you mean :)

On the subject of player cards, am I going crazy, or was there a way to "turn them off" years ago?

The game is on another level tactically compared to the competition, but, there are occasions where I wish I could say to my full-backs "stay back, don't swap over", and turn off a midfielder's penchant to roam forward.

(I realise in reality it's not as simple as saying "stop doing this thing you've made your career doing", but I think that's where a game like Football Manager nails it - tell a high-tempo player to play a slower tempo game, for example, and they'll keep doing the opposite, until eventually they adapt.)
I can't remember being an option for the cards being turned off but then again I never used to spent that much time with PS3 era pes games to notice,as for the fullbacks, most of them have the attacking card, but if u shop around you can get the defensive card FBs that stay back, Iv got one player that plays both sides and use him only for tight games and yes it does work they actually stay back, as for the swap over situation, are they new players you've bought or have u changed tactics, cos Iv noticed they tend to go in when you set it to flexible and there not familiar with your tactical setup.

Doesnt Matts 5 minute fix with fluid formation make full backs stay back..in defensive tactic set full backs as center back position..forgive me it thats not what you mean :)
I didn't even know you could set full-backs to centre-backs. Won't that crap on the team spirit though (which is vital in the ML) as they'll be classed as "playing out of position"?

I didn't even know you could set full-backs to centre-backs. Won't that crap on the team spirit though (which is vital in the ML) as they'll be classed as "playing out of position"?
That works providing the FBS can also play as centre backs, cos if they can't they tend to run all over the place at times and yeah could effect your team spirit.

I can't remember being an option for the cards being turned off but then again I never used to spent that much time with PS3 era pes games to notice
Same here, hence why I never really played things like Master League Online and why I wish I had now (even though it had its issues)...

Just done some quick Googling and yes, in previous games you could turn off "positional cards" at least, which were amongst the "player index cards". (There's a list of the ones in PES 2010 over here.)

I wonder why they're set in stone now.

I'd guess it's because of the extra level of complication - I read a great article this morning about Assetto Corsa, a driving simulator in every sense of the word, and how they learnt that, on console, you have to make everything as accessible as possible, or you won't make any money (and how vocal their audience is). Reminded me of PES 100% of the way through. You wonder how good the game would be if they didn't have to try and get their claws into FIFA's audience (and trust me, the guys who fund development of this game are only interested in getting more customers).

That works providing the FBS can also play as centre backs, cos if they can't they tend to run all over the place at times and yeah could effect your team spirit.
That was my fear! I'll have to start using "fluid formation" as @hitmanuk suggested, that'll probably help.

Last edited:
Same here, hence why I never really played things like Master League Online and why I wish I had now (even though it had its issues)...

Just done some quick Googling and yes, in previous games you could turn off "positional cards" at least, which were amongst the "player index cards". (There's a list of the ones in PES 2010 over here.)

I wonder why they're set in stone now.

I'd guess it's because of the extra level of complication - I read a great article this morning about Assetto Corsa, a driving simulator in every sense of the word, and how they learnt that, on console, you have to make everything as accessible as possible, or you won't make any money (and how vocal their audience is). Reminded me of PES 100% of the way through. You wonder how good the game would be if they didn't have to try and get their claws into FIFA's audience (and trust me, the guys who fund development of this game are only interested in getting more customers).

Ever since bhatti came on board have to admit as much as he can be frustrating to communicate with, his definately helped with the direction of the game.
I remember a few years back in one of his interviews, he stated around 2018 to be the game he wants pes to be, looks like his on target so far.

Last edited:
Is there anything more infuriating than playing a competition on myclub where the first 3 rounds you could win with controller upside down and then losing the most studiply scripted final to Barcelona.
Aaargh

I am finding that I cannot play anything but exhibition games or the versus mode due to the cheating ai. The game lacks subtlety and quality in most areas, it is just too basic.
I don't see much cheating playing manual on regular or professional settings. I am wondering what settings you're on; Fully assisted, superstar?

In master league every team's TS is 99, except the users' team. We can see this if we use the side select tool on the pc version.
Now that explains a number of things. Like when you start a new ML, you need to play quite a few matches before your team wins an offensive aerial challenge (on superstar). I guess the variation in observed CPU strength (it does vary) is due to condition arrows and home team advantage.

I can take the torture in an ML until the TS goes up, but I understand why nobody in their right mind would do so.

Last edited:
In master league every team's TS is 99, except the users' team. We can see this if we use the side select tool on the pc version.
Can't agree on that, I'm on PS4, playing on top player, my games have varied from very easy to extreme hard, it's never consistent which I like. Maybe pc master league could be structured differently unless your referring to superstar

You could turn off the cards or change it to offensive, defensive or balanced in PES 2010 from what I remember. That kind of replaced the old arrows.

EDIT: Nevermind, you figured it out in a later post.

Last edited:
I think I finally found my preferred PES setting.
It's gamespeed -1, full manual, custom cam with max angle and max zoom, plus matt10 5 sec fix and some minor tactical changes.
It unfolds so beautiful!!
I'm still enjoying this years version (its January!!!) :) !! To me, this hasn't happened for a long time!!

After doing a massive edit job and restarting my ML,this game plays absolutely brilliant.
It did play great before to,but it's so good atm,getting rid of the long ball inferno really calms the game down.

It would be interesting to find out where the sweet spot on user TS is?
Guess having a team spirit around 90-99 will trigger some cheating in compensation for CPU,and to low 50-60 makes your good players a bit below their rating.
Any one with a idea around that.
Coming back from a month of the the other game,it's just amazing playing this again

Anyone ever had the physics mess up?

I saw something strange the other day, decided to look at a reply and... The ball teleports...

See if you can spot it during regular gameplay:

Anyone ever had the physics mess up?

I saw something strange the other day, decided to look at a reply and... The ball teleports...

See if you can spot it during regular gameplay:]
This is not a physics bug, it merely shows how the game works internally. This kind of stuff happens all the time in less obvious ways, the game places the ball where it needs it to be for the next animation. One could say that there actually aren't any physics involved at all, there is only an illusion of physics created by consecutive animations.

Back
Top Bottom