PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

They really have to fix the catch- up bug...

I don't think it is a bug. IMHO it is in there because they think the game will be too high scoring without it and people will spam use fast players as a tactic. I don't think they need it though as making a player just fast shouldn't be enough for them to be good as they need to either be able to pass or shoot as well.

The other football game doesn't have it in and it feels great hitting a long through ball down the wing for a very fast player to fly down it and get into behind them, but they are still useless if they cannot then cross or pass well

I don't think it is a bug. IMHO it is in there because they think the game will be too high scoring without it and people will spam use fast players as a tactic. I don't think they need it though as making a player just fast shouldn't be enough for them to be good as they need to either be able to pass or shoot as well.

The other football game doesn't have it in and it feels great hitting a long through ball down the wing for a very fast player to fly down it and get into behind them, but they are still useless if they cannot then cross or pass well

You're right chimps . . I've often kept in front of a defender by using a stronger player or a bit of trickery .. if they stopped the so called catch up bug .. we would have a goal fest where everybody would use speed merchant players to run on to a through ball to score. . I think it's fine as it is.

Yeah it's not gamebreaking but it's annoying when it happens. I play with lesser teams a lot online and when u get the rare breakthrough and that happens it's quite frustrating tbh. But I guess it's better than Ronaldo- theough ball- spamming...

Can't say the catch up thing bothers me at all, really. What do bother me, unless I play on manual passing, is how easy it easy to get into crossing positions and score from those crosses. But I'm trying to shake it by playing on manual passing. So bloody hard to ping fast passes around in tight spaces to create chances though! :P

Well the above annoys me at least but hey, each to their own I guess.

Not only this, but the super-human ability for 1 defender to cover 2 attackers.

rs9gbkO.png

yAGLm7q.png

psh9yLF.png

There's just no such thing as getting punished for making a rushed defensive decision in the game.

First off, the defender don't lose balance while running full speed at a trajectory and changing direction suddenly. There's no punishment for over-committing, rushing in to pressure, and running all over the field for 90 minutes.

Changing direction 3 times in a short span of time, just by holding one single button, as if the player has no weight. The defender don't need any time to react to the sudden change of ball direction either.

The recovery speed is instantaneous when making a poor defensive decision. This here, the CB covers the 2 attackers without any worry, while in a real match, he would have to track the striker and follow his run, while worrying for a final pass that might be played behind him. This is a design decision they made, because in some higher pass assistance setting, ping-pong passing is too easy, too fast, too accurate, and here they need to put something else easy in the game to neutralize it. Auto pressure, fast and simple minded.

This stuff just flattens the game severely. The value of watching for that opportunity to make that one good tackle or one good interception, is pretty much non existent in the game. Just hold [] and X and you prayers will be answered.

Similar to catch-up bug, if your priority is to keep your defense organized and to watch out for passes that might open up your defense, you know, like a good, disciplined and organized defense should, you are playing too nice and realistic. You are forgetting that catch-up bug is the savior to this situation. You should use that to your advantage and rush in, every time.

/sarcasm

Tho I think this feels worse in a manual game, because you don't have the advantage of ping pong passing it to the next guy with fast and accurate passes. [] and X (auto centering, auto guidance tools) should probably just be removed from manual, as well as catch-up bug.

I mean, take your catch-up bug video for example. Even if there's no catch-up bug, even if the game lets you run away while the other 2 defenders struggle to catch up, there's still a decent amount of difficulty for you to score from your chance, since you have manual shooting. You still have to use your time wisely to measure your final execution. That's pretty fair and balanced in that sense.

Last edited:
This is off-topic, but i had to post this, from the Guardian website:

Papu Gómez has worn a series of bold captain’s armbands this season – his back catalogue includes a Halloween special and a tribute to Japanese manga cartoon Captain Tsubasa (known in Italy as Holly e Benji) – but he topped them all with one featuring the original Pro Evolution Soccer’s Master League XI. Of course, you might have had a hard time seeing it amid the fog as Atalanta drew 0-0 with Milan.

I don't mind the catch up bug, kinda forces me to play better and smarter.

I think we should sign a petition to get a day/night selector, maybe asking people from other fora to sign it up.

It would be about friking time we do something about this madness of playing in shit night lighting.

This is off-topic, but i had to post this, from the Guardian website:

Papu Gómez has worn a series of bold captain’s armbands this season – his back catalogue includes a Halloween special and a tribute to Japanese manga cartoon Captain Tsubasa (known in Italy as Holly e Benji) – but he topped them all with one featuring the original Pro Evolution Soccer’s Master League XI. Of course, you might have had a hard time seeing it amid the fog as Atalanta drew 0-0 with Milan.
Awesome!

Ive plugged my notebook on a tv and install PES 2010 and boy, despite the hunch running animations, its a good football game. The fundamentals are all there and goal scoring feelling is spot on. Freek kick system is so intuitive. Shooting physics, keepers reaction and goal net shaking are all right. Ive bend some into the top corner with Pirlo that get me off my sit. Very nice PES experience.

Just making a correction: it was PES 2009, not 2010!

Last edited:

Well that's only true if you are equate everything about "playing" =attacking. Isn't it actually the opposite if you approach the game defensive minded? From the defending team's perspective, it encourages you to play dumber. You can concede space and use catch up bug to patch up your holes. You can push d-line as far forward as you want, and limit some amount of the risk by utilizing catch up bug. You can make defensive mistakes in the upper areas of the field, rush into tackles, bring defenders forward leaving their assigned positions, and rest easy knowing that letting a pass slice through your defense is fine, coz you can patch it up with catch up bug. I think the bug's been there since years ago, to limit the people spamming easy passes through the defense, but still, it's a band-aid fix. The real fix would be to make it impossible to successfully spam passes to begin with. Defending in this game is just not all that deep or enjoyable, rushed and panic decisions don't have enough negative consequences, kinda lowers the value of having an organized defense that holds its shape and position well.

I mean, take his video example here, those 2 defenders pushed up way too far into opponent's half, so far up that they crossed the midfield line by 15-20 yards, leaving the striker drifting behind them unmarked. They have no business being there, and there should be consequences that they have to deal with. Maybe it creates more of a challenge when you craft an attacking play, forcing you to play "smarter", but it sure doesn't encourage the same for a defending team.

So is it resonable to think PES 2017 have at least 1 more major DLC left? Probably after the transfer window (which means it will be ready in early april...). Hopefully they will update players stats, I can't remember if they did that last year (I do remember Dembele when playing for Rennes did'nt get updated for example).

Dolberg (Ajax), Thiago Maia (Santos) and Kessie (Atalanta) are all young players that deserve a nice upgrade.

I think we should sign a petition to get a day/night selector, maybe asking people from other fora to sign it up.

It would be about friking time we do something about this madness of playing in shit night lighting.

I have been playing the other football game and it's great being able to set the time of day and weather. It also has 'hazy' as a environment condition which looks a lot like the 'afternoon' setting PES used to have

For those who talk about the turf being a rubbish, faded colour and some of the graphics letting the game down... Look at these screenshots (posted yesterday) by @Chuny, from the PC game, modded (from the PES 2017 Screenshots Thread).

WoaBuGB.jpg

SpsitiA.jpg

KRt3DpQ.jpg

CvWcWQf.jpg

Man oh man, look how beautiful they could have made this game. I see that and I want to abandon the supposedly-better PS4 version, 4K and all.

I think the catch up bug does need sorting.

If you come up against a fast attack it should be down to YOU to play against it.

Set a man mark, and drop the defensive line VERY deep.

Anyone know how to turn off the auto load feature for leagues? I've started 3 leagues, but sometimes the game just decides that I want to load league 3, like 15 times in a row, and I can't load the file I want to load. :RANT:

Edit - I was in the quick menu thing!

Last edited:
Anyone know how to turn off the auto load feature for leagues? I've started 3 leagues, but sometimes the game just decides that I want to load league 3, like 15 times in a row, and I can't load the file I want to load. :RANT:

Edit - I was in the quick menu thing!

TAXIIII!!! :P

TAXIIII!!! :P

Haha, so used to slag the game off for all its little blemishes I jumped the gun a bit there. :P

Having said that, I'm playing the Brazilian league now full manual on regular. It's a bit too easy to defend, and I can't really pressure the opponents high, or I'd win the ball up high all the time, but it's great practise for full manual and a lot of fun. :)

Haha, so used to slag the game off for all its little blemishes I jumped the gun a bit there. :P

Having said that, I'm playing the Brazilian league now full manual on regular. It's a bit too easy to defend, and I can't really pressure the opponents high, or I'd win the ball up high all the time, but it's great practise for full manual and a lot of fun. :)

Im currently playing full manual on TP, but may knock it down to pro just to get back into the swing of things, I find my intricate play is almost there with players just stretching for the ball rather than running the length of the pitch for it :)

My Villareal team seem to be immense Pato Soldado and Bakambu are superb. My finishing is pretty good as I have used manual shooting since the demo, as I felt the basic shooting like FIFA was too central almost attached to the keeper at times.

This game would be pretty Amazing online (with manual passing) if the OTP-pressing where toned down, it's too easy now imo to just press X / Square + X to steal the ball from your opponent. Since it's tricky with lesser teams to string passes togheter on manual as it is it's almost impossible sometimes to get some sort of passing going when your opponent are like band- aids on you all the time.

But sure, it's also a case of the lesser teams having less technique, passing ability etc but I feel the pressing could be toned down just a notch anyway.

Last edited:
This game would be pretty Amazing online (with manual passing) if the OTP-pressing where toned down, it's to easy now imo to just press X and Square + X to steal the ball from your opponent. Since it's tricky with lesser teams to string passes togheter on manual as it is it's almost impossible sometimes to get some sort of passing going when your opponent are like band- aids on you all the time.

Agreed. It's too effective and you can basically do it throughout the game without really tiring your players.

This game would be pretty Amazing online (with manual passing) if the OTP-pressing where toned down, it's too easy now imo to just press X / Square + X to steal the ball from your opponent. Since it's tricky with lesser teams to string passes togheter on manual as it is it's almost impossible sometimes to get some sort of passing going when your opponent are like band- aids on you all the time.

But sure, it's also a case of the lesser teams having less technique, passing ability etc but I feel the pressing could be toned down just a notch anyway.

I think the effective and relentless pressure might be designed for assisted players. If the field stays open and passing lanes stay open for a number of seconds more than it does now, it is quite possible that on higher assistance, it would be too easy to tear open defenses with a simple pass, because the ball travels faster and more accurate (more snap to feet).

In manual, you got your more errors of your own measurement to worry about, the lethal passes don't come as often, and it takes a little longer to measure them properly.

Having bought this game again recently, I vowed to play only on manual passing until I made inroads with it. Since then I've kept switching back to PA1 because I was getting so frustrated with misplacing passes and not getting up the field at all. So I rested on Top Player and assisted passing for the time being.

However, yesterday we were invited to a neighbour's Xmas house party and I got pretty wasted on Prosecco and sparkling wine. I had a brilliant time and when I came home, I fired this up for a quick game. For some reason I felt like Billy Big B*****ks and I set it to manual passing, Professional difficulty. I played Leicester in my next league game and had the passion to take them apart. What followed was utterly beautiful. I was knocking passes long and short all over the grass with such precision, I couldn't believe my new found powers. I went 1-0 down early but I got it back quickly and then went 2-1 up. They changed it up whilst I pressed for a third but they came back to win 3-2. It didn't matter though - I was actually being competitive and threatening the goal numerous times. The feeling of that penny dropping is amazing. Passing assistance is dead forever.

Yeah thats what manual is all about. Once you give it a (real) chance, youll never go back to assisted, because it just feels wrong and so much worse and less enjoyable.

I still don't get why we don't have offball work-rate stats to separate the hard workers and the lazy ones.
As it stands, everyone will work hard as long as you put on gegen press, and glue down [] and X. Can't we have some players who don't listen to instructions so well?

Here's Ozil's relentless pressing this week:

Plus, there should be some difference in ball winning ability of attackers as well. And difference of stamina, of course. Press is really flattened, when do you actually feel the difference of pressing with your forwards, and pressing with a world class defender? Really just feels the same in this game (and previous ones). Kinda want to see the next level of depth, it's overdue.

Back
Top Bottom