PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

My biggest gripe about PES in recent years is the pure lack of goal variety. Scoring is just so stale and automated.
Honeymon period is most definitely over so I gave FIFA17 a go and my god is it more fun to score! Having the ability to modify your pass/shot type and having control over when and how to shield the ball is so refreshing.
I am producing some really authentic looking goals
The only aspect I am missing from PES is the close control and quick change of direction to get past opposing players

Re Tanvir & Bhatti, I've had to bite my tongue on numerous occassions so as I don't get blocked. I even had to apologise as Asim took offence to a genuinley innocent comment I made (that took some doing I'll tell you)
I don't doubt they get a lot of shit fired their way but if you take the salary you just need to take the hassle, smile and get on with it. I certainly wouldn't get away with talking to customers the way these 2 do.

Interesting how experiencing the game can be that different! I see variety of goals, headers, shots. it's not by all means automated. Do you play on full manual? and which difficulty?

i think you guys mean the way of creating a goal opportunity which is indeed varied. i think "we" mean the way the ball gets hit, the way it bubbles, on the angle it goes, how much of a factor is the body position the player hits it, his skills, other players around. these arent really matter in this game

I'm curious on how many of you use skills in your matches? It's one of the best things about the game. Playing against the AI or online, I rarely see players use it. All they do is try to cross the ball or just spam random passes. Nobody seems to appreciate it, I play against the AI on Superstar a lot, and it's one of the things that helps me stay away from them tackling me or them pressuring all the time. It's really not that hard to use, just hold the right stick in random directions and then move the left stick to whatever direction you want. It varies from one player to another.

I'm curious on how many of you use skills in your matches? It's one of the best things about the game. Playing against the AI or online, I rarely see players use it. All they do is try to cross the ball or just spam random passes. Nobody seems to appreciate it, I play against the AI on Superstar a lot, and it's one of the things that helps me stay away from them tackling me or them pressuring all the time. It's really not that hard to use, just hold the right stick in random directions and then move the left stick to whatever direction you want. It varies from one player to another.

Yeah this is a nice feature and can give u space with good players. Online it's hard ofte due to slight button lag though.

I try to use feints and general dribbling . . .great when it works.

i think you guys mean the way of creating a goal opportunity which is indeed varied. i think "we" mean the way the ball gets hit, the way it bubbles, on the angle it goes, how much of a factor is the body position the player hits it, his skills, other players around. these arent really matter in this game

On manual body position absolutely counts when shooting and passing and there is a difference between individual players shots as in power and accuracy.

On manual body position absolutely counts when shooting and passing and there is a difference between individual players shots as in power and accuracy.

If I could get only ONE answer from Asim/Adam/whoever at Konami it would be some clarification if manual passing is truly manual or if L2- passing is? I have asked this several times but just silence. I mean, why is that such a hard question to answer?

If I could get only ONE answer from Asim/Adam/whoever at Konami it would be some clarification if manual passing is truly manual or if L2- passing is? I have asked this several times but just silence. I mean, why is that such a hard question to answer?

A couple of us were experimenting with that . .one of the lads is convinced that L2 is true manual . .I'm not so sure . .all I can say is when I use L2 for headers at corners it's very effective. . . almost like using assistance.

A couple of us were experimenting with that . .one of the lads is convinced that L2 is true manual . .I'm not so sure . .all I can say is when I use L2 for headers at corners it's very effective. . . almost like using assistance.
You are probably referring to me.

I wouldn't say I am convinced that L2 is all the way true manual. What I am convinced of is that L2 crossing is closer to manual than regular manual crossing: this is easy to test in training. Short regular manual crosses are simply broken (too powerful). Otherwise in training L2 and regular manual passes feel pretty much the same. Even made a small video about it some time ago. (The little arrow is L2 direction. I am showing it even before regular manual passes to illustrate their direction.)

As for the effectiveness of L2 in headers: you would expect more shots on target from very close up on true manual when compared to scripted shots.

Last edited:
You are probably referring to me.

I wouldn't say I am convinced that L2 is all the way true manual. What I am convinced of is that L2 crossing is closer to manual than regular manual crossing: this is easy to test in training. Short regular manual crosses are simply broken (too powerful). Otherwise in training L2 and regular manual passes feel pretty much the same. Even made a small video about it some time ago. (The little arrow is L2 direction. I am showing it even before regular manual passes to illustrate their direction.)

As for the effectiveness of L2 in headers: you would expect more shots on target from very close up on true manual when compared to scripted shots.

Convinced was probably a bit OTT . .. . hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Are we talking about accuracy here because pressure on the button will decide height and power and it's hard to replicate the same pressure each time.. . .I did notice passing and crossing feels softer when using L2.

Again it may come down to your settings. If you play basic shooting u probably have 3 directions while u can hit the ball more freely with manual, hence a variety in shots. Body position is for sure important I don't see how it doesn't matter in this game.

That's exactly what I mean. Whether it be animation or ball physic related I just find it FAR more enjoyable and realistic looking in FIFA (and it pains me to say that because I'm forever trying to convince my mates to play PES instead of FIFA)
For example, last night I was running in on goal at an angle with Diego Costa I powered up the shot and pressed again for a low shot. The ball fired along the turf, clipped the inside of the keeper's foot, went through his legs and into the far corner.
It just looked.............. well, right.

the thing that is ruining the game is the no penalty situation, i ve had two today situations where the cpu kicked me or obstructed inside the box with no penalty given, this is no realism, please if u own fhe pitch give us all aspects of the game

the thing that is ruining the game is the no penalty situation, i ve had two today situations where the cpu kicked me or obstructed inside the box with no penalty given, this is no realism, please if u own fhe pitch give us all aspects of the game

Put ur team as "rival" in all other teams. You'll get more free kicks, penalties and yellow cards from AI.

^ I tried that still have had no penalties in 40 plus games and I'm not convinced it increased fouls ..some games against non rivals I've had 8 plus fouls and against rivals no fouls ..for me it's random

^ I tried that still have had no penalties in 40 plus games and I'm not convinced it increased fouls ..some games against non rivals I've had 8 plus fouls and against rivals no fouls ..for me it's random

Which option file are you using, maybe it's the different option files going around people are all having different experiences with the game, Iv got the pesuniverse file and I know that tactics have been modified for a lot of teams as well as formations and stats, usually around this time I start to lose a lot of interest playing footy games, but with this one it's gone in the other direction, I'm still smashing it hard, but I do agree that the variation of shot/pass isn't enough, hoping PES18 takes variation of all areas to another level.

Getting alot of penalties now but I carry into the box more often.

Individuality in this year's game is stupendous. Tello, Nzonzi, Canales are a few names that spring to mind. They are sublime despite their modest overall ratings.
Yeah this game definately has that feeling while your at work thinking of a move or a goal you created/scored with a particular player, even now in December individuality is still fresh.

Well what can i say. What a monumental eff up from Konami.

Firstly, updating wiped my entire data and images of all the teams, so had to reimport it all. And now for me the game feels horribly on rails. There seems to be a lack of freedom that was their when i first installed.

The shooting is also badly off and the way the a.i attacks is ridiculous. It like one touch layoffs all the way to the box. Hate it hate it hate it.

Theres no consideration from the a.i, theres no pacing, it's just rubbish. Cant be bothered to roll back updates, i'm just finished with it really, which is a damn shame but there you go.

Well what can i say. What a monumental eff up from Konami.

Firstly, updating wiped my entire data and images of all the teams, so had to reimport it all. And now for me the game feels horribly on rails. There seems to be a lack of freedom that was their when i first installed.

The shooting is also badly off and the way the a.i attacks is ridiculous. It like one touch layoffs all the way to the box. Hate it hate it hate it.

Theres no consideration from the a.i, theres no pacing, it's just rubbish. Cant be bothered to roll back updates, i'm just finished with it really, which is a damn shame but there you go.

PLACEBO

Yeah this game definately has that feeling while your at work thinking of a move or a goal you created/scored with a particular player, even now in December individuality is still fresh.

I still love it. . .I was watching Man City and Celtic last night and instead of shouting shoot at the telly when a chance came about. . . .I shocked myself by shouting 'square' as in hitting the square button on PES to shoot .. .. I really need to get out more.

Which option file are you using, maybe it's the different option files going around people are all having different experiences with the game, Iv got the pesuniverse file and I know that tactics have been modified for a lot of teams as well as formations and stats, usually around this time I start to lose a lot of interest playing footy games, but with this one it's gone in the other direction, I'm still smashing it hard, but I do agree that the variation of shot/pass isn't enough, hoping PES18 takes variation of all areas to another level.
yes definitely, there should be shot and pass variation, hopefully 2018

Patch 1.04 for 4k support is out
I'm currently testing it on my 1080p + Ps4 pro, and that's much more fluid, no more slowdown framerate issues, 60fps locked which makes replays looking very nice.
No more aliasing in game (a little bit with bilboards borders when the game is in momevement only, but nothing noticeable) and the crowd is no more pixelated.

About aliasing and pixels, i think it's certainly the 4K/1080p upscaling which make that effect.
I wonder how it looks like on 4K tv.

But the complete package seems more fluid on pro, for sure. I've got the same feeling when i play older PES 2010-13 on my actual PC in those terms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom