PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Can't agree with there being no pass "error" on PA1. Again, it is all about pass effectiveness, speed, execution, weight and spin that the individuality is to be found currently.

Kind of unrelated, I just played a match with the following settings:

- 25min match duration

- Superstar difficulty in a Konami Custom League (to boost COM competitiveness - still not ML level though)

- Gamespeed of -1

- PA1 pass settings

- Basic shooting

- I was Lanus

- COM was Napoli using edited tactics from OS forums

These were the stats after the full game. I was sloppy and was my first match of tonight and my first time playing a 25min match with this years game.

CuHfuYcWcAUpDp2.jpg:large

I enjoyed that a lot. Not perfect stats for the duration but a very good match. I need to see if my next game is not in the rain to see if pace is just a wee bit zippier. Going to try normal game speed tomorrow.

If I am happy I will play 25min matches in my ML with these settings initially. I really like the manual passing in this years game, but it is just a tiny bit snobby saying there is no error/individuality at all using PA1. Not meaning to have a go there, but just think there is a bit of hyperbole when it comes to PA1.

Can't agree with there being no pass "error" on PA1. Again, it is all about pass effectiveness, speed, execution, weight and spin that the individuality is to be found currently.

Kind of unrelated, I just played a match with the following settings:

- 25min match duration

- Superstar difficulty in a Konami Custom League (to boost COM competitiveness - still not ML level though)

- Gamespeed of -1

- PA1 pass settings

- Basic shooting

- I was Lanus

- COM was Napoli using edited tactics from OS forums

These were the stats after the full game. I was sloppy and was my first match of tonight and my first time playing a 25min match with this years game.

CuHfuYcWcAUpDp2.jpg:large

I enjoyed that a lot. Not perfect stats for the duration but a very good match. I need to see if my next game is not in the rain to see if pace is just a wee bit zippier. Going to try normal game speed tomorrow.

If I am happy I will play 25min matches in my ML with these settings initially. I really like the manual passing in this years game, but it is just a tiny bit snobby saying there is no error/individuality at all using PA1. Not meaning to have a go there, but just think there is a bit of hyperbole when it comes to PA1.
Of course there's errors in PA1, and people want to play it on PA1, fine,all the best to them.
But what I don't get is complaining about (not you,general whining) on shooting/passing/movement not being realistic on PA1-3.
Your playing assisted! want realism,play manual,or go build Lego.
There's a general ignorance of what football really is,people getting pissed off by tiny details that are fixable,if they play the game right,with and according to their game plan,and using it.

I've seen horrible examples of people going off,and the you find out,they play against their game plan "they don't run in channels centrally" yeah,you've set up your game going long on the wings.

Not directed at you mate,generally pissed of with people moaning instead of trying...

Last edited:
Going to send this on to @officialpes for consideration. Did a coach mode match last night, trying to see how teams played with custom tactics and Juve get a penalty...

The penalties look superb from standard gameplay cam. Always thought that when seeing a replay of a pen this year they looked faster and actually pretty cool. Should be a user option to take spot kicks like this. It just looks more alive and dramatic; would have them for penalty kick deciders too if I could have my way.

Last edited:
yeah, we need a better camera for set pieces and penalties.
speaking of that, i was laying in bed thinking of these things last night and my genius kicked in..

man do i have a great :! on improving set pieces and penalties, game play wise.
think i'll call Konami and run it by, for a price ......

Last edited:
I had a fantastic session last night. Started a Konami league as Arsenal and filled it up with some great teams and average ones too. First game was against some team I've never heard of, they had a low overall rating. I've settled with Top Player, -1 speed, PA1, manual shooting.

I eased past the first team 3-1. Giroud was holding play up brilliantly and bringing Alexis and Theo into the attack every time. Only my wobbly shooting kept the score down. Theirs was a last minute consolation.

Next up, home to Ajax. First half I dominated and created good chances but their keeper was having a blinder. Shortly after half time and a sucker punch, went 1-0 down with a cool finish on the edge of the box from the forward. I changed to all out attack and gegenpress for the last 25 mins. I was camped around their area but they'd put men behind the ball to frustrate. With 10 mins left a rebound span out to Bellerin on the left behind the defence. I crossed it first time for Alexis to volley home. A point saved.

Final game was away to Athletico Bilbao. Man, what a game. From the off they pressed me all over the pitch and gave me no time to settle. I was second best in every challenge and I couldn't get up the pitch. After 15 mins a high ball was cleared to their attacker about 25 yards out near the corner of the area - boom, he rifled it hard at my near post and Cech got fingers on it but not enough to stop it kissing the inside of the near post and in. I changed to a more attacking formation and soon they were 2-0 up. Game over I thought. On the brink of half time I tried a through ball to Giroud but put too much on it. I made him chase it down though as the keeper came out and kicked it first time. Giroud jumped up and turned his back and the ball came off his back and span high into the air. "This is the keepers" I thought but I went up for it anyway. The keeper tried to punch clear but got it all wrong and it went backwards into the empty net. 2-1 and game on. Second half was spent trying to break them down but they'd set up to frustrate me. With 10 left I managed a delicious passing move around their area and fed Walcott first time, as he charged into the box at an angle the keeper rushed out but I got there first. I tried poking it back and away from me into the corner but it wasn't really on and it went wide. The thing is, I knew as soon as I'd pressed shoot that I should have just lofted it. The keeper had gone down early whilst rushing out and I was just too late to realise it. It finished 2-1.

konami left us short again for 1024x1024 kit pngs, i have a workaround in mind to fix the issue
They don't. If you have no manager and stadium pics assigned, no 2048x2048 kits uploaded and there are no 1024x1024 kits uploaded that are not used ingame and you are still running out of space: you have applied too many 3rd and 4th kits.
Delete some in Edit mode and delete the image files accordingly as well and make sure no manager, stadium or 2048x2048 kits are uploaded.

yeah, we need a better camera for set pieces and penalties.
speaking of that, i was laying in bed thinking of these things last night and my genius kicked in..

man do i have a great :! on improving set pieces and penalties, game play wise.
think i'll call Konami and run it by, for a price ......

Don't leave us in suspense.. .. what is it?

Going to send this on to @officialpes for consideration. Did a coach mode match last night, trying to see how teams played with custom tactics and Juve get a penalty...

The penalties look superb from standard gameplay cam. Always thought that when seeing a replay of a pen this year they looked faster and actually pretty cool. Should be a user option to take spot kicks like this. It just looks more alive and dramatic; would have them for penalty kick deciders too if I could have my way.

Yep, spot on. At least there should be an option to have penalties in game view (your selected camera view). Im surprised the current system has gone on for so long. I do remember that pes2011 had an 'in game type of view', and you could pretty much manually select how hard, and how high, and the direction of each shot, based on how long the various button/stick presses were:

and from about 9:07 on the following clip:

You'd think this view for penalties would work particularly well for pes 2017 since you can now play the game on full manual... Itd be perfect.. and imagine functions like r2 being able to work as well...

Last edited:
When those screenshots of the DB editor were posted before release by the volunteer editors, there was an option that specified that a player was on loan from a parent club. why is it then that in ML loan players are still permanently at your club after a season ends???

*Screenshot snipped*
Aaahhh, I saw this on Twitter this morning, now I can put the face to the forum-name! :D

Not directed at you mate,generally pissed of with people moaning instead of trying...
Well here's a thing. I've tried, enjoyed the extra fouls (which there is), but I've gone back to PA1 now - and frankly, without trying to start a riot (and not aiming this at you), I'm also "pissed off" that everyone's answer to everything is "do you play manual". That shouldn't be the solution, with any game - the option is great, and I'm glad it's there and works so well, but it's not for the majority who don't have the time for it.

After being amazed at the difference, but frustrated that I was getting hammered by equal opposition, I had a long play-session last night, and here are my thoughts (and I'd hope the videos I've uploaded over the last couple of weeks etc. give me some credit here)...

• On PA0, I held down the "manual pass" shoulder button permanently and passed the ball around for 25 minutes (game-time), then let go and passed around until the end of the half. I did this over the course of four games (eight halves). I saw no difference whatsoever. I tried hitting them slightly off-course and way off-course, and no PA0 "correction" or "finesse" took place. (I was convinced, to start with, that there was - in-fact, that's what I set out to prove rather than disprove - but after more than an hour of trying to back that up, I couldn't.)

• On Professional, I'm still drawing with the big teams and (now) getting smashed by the others. With a better team spirit than before, I drew against Man City, and then Swansea put three past me in the first half alone. I swear I had it easier on Top Player - but I haven't tested that yet. I'm guessing my style of play is just more easily countered by the AI's Professional instructions than what it concentrates on using Top Player.

I didn't have much fun last night, especially on PA0 - more fouls, yes, but very few chances in games (I'm talking about 1 shot here and 2 shots there, against the bottom teams in the league - I tried altering match-length up and down too).

I'm back to PA1 and sticking with it (and hoping it's patched to add more fouls), but I'll have to figure out what's going on with the difficulty levels. It feels wrong to be totally outplayed by Swansea and barely bothered by Man City.

Last edited:
Aaahhh, I saw this on Twitter this morning, now I can put the face to the forum-name! :D

Well here's a thing. I've tried, enjoyed the extra fouls (which there is), but I've gone back to PA1 now - and frankly, without trying to start a riot (and not aiming this at you), I'm also "pissed off" that everyone's answer to everything is "do you play manual". That shouldn't be the solution, with any game - the option is great, and I'm glad it's there and works so well, but it's not for the majority who don't have the time for it.

After being amazed at the difference, but frustrated that I was getting hammered by equal opposition, I had a long play-session last night, and here are my thoughts (and I'd hope the videos I've uploaded etc. give me some credit here)...

• On PA0, I held down the "manual pass" shoulder button permanently and passed the ball around for 25 minutes (game-time), then let go and passed around until the end of the half. I did this over the course of four games (eight halves). I saw no difference whatsoever. I tried hitting them slightly off-course and way off-course, and no PA0 "correction" or "finesse" took place. (I was convinced, to start with, that there was - but after more than an hour of trying to back that up, I couldn't.)

• On Professional, I'm still drawing with the big teams and (now) getting smashed by the others. With a better team spirit than before, I drew against Man City, and then Swansea put three past me in the first half alone. I swear I had it easier on Top Player - but I haven't tested that yet. I'm guessing my style of play is just more easily countered by the AI's Professional instructions than what it concentrates on using Top Player.

I didn't have much fun last night, especially on PA0 - more fouls, yes, but very few chances in games (I'm talking about 1 shot here and 2 shots there, against the bottom teams in the league - I tried altering match-length up and down too).

I'm back to PA1 and sticking with it (and hoping it's patched to add more fouls), but I'll have to figure out what's going on with the difficulty levels. It feels wrong to be totally outplayed by Swansea and barely bothered by Man City.

I agree with your thoughts regarding manual passing. I simply don't have time or the patience to pour hours of practise into manual passing just so I can compete with the AI. I play assisted because it offers me more fun and a gentler learning curve. However, it doesn't make my criticisms any less valid just because I don't use manual. If I think the AI defence snaps into perfect shape to cover all angles too perfectly, that's got nothing to do with manual passing. Telling me to move over to manual passing is as good as telling me to give up and play something else.

Been playing a lot of full manual online matches recently against people I have added to my PSN.
Every game is a pure joy!
Absolutely loving it.
With full manual it´s hard to play blind passes, tiki taka or ping pong ball and the outcome is ALWAYS (at least from all the online FM games I played) a beautiful thrilling match.

I just wish this was possible with myclub teams, but no one there is playing manual.

Been playing a lot of full manual online matches recently against people I have added to my PSN.
Every game is a pure joy!
Absolutely loving it.
With full manual it´s hard to play blind passes, tiki taka or ping pong ball and the outcome is ALWAYS (at least from all the online FM games I played) a beautiful thrilling match.

I just wish this was possible with myclub teams, but no one there is playing manual.

Agree completely. Like I wrote yesterday; online vs offline is two different conversations really if we talk about manual passing vs PA1. If you want to play something that is close(er) to real football online the only way is manual passing. If you don't, stick with PA1. And thats of course fine, each to their own. I'm sure PA1 is a different thing for offline but when applied online it really is a ping pong- party. So I Think we need to separate online and offline when talking about manual vs PA1.

Agree completely. Like I wrote yesterday; online vs offline is two different conversations really if we talk about manual passing vs PA1. If you want to play something that is close(er) to real football online the only way is manual passing. If you don't, stick with PA1. And thats of course fine, each to their own. I'm sure PA1 is a different thing for offline but when applied online it really is a ping pong- party. So I Think we need to separate online and offline when talking about manual vs PA1.

Agreeing here, but well depends.
Even offline against the AI I have a lot of more joy playing PA0. Went back to basic shooting though as it´s too hard to compete with them, at least with my myclub shit team.
But basic shooting is fine.
Also 1vs1 on one console I would play PA0....I never wanna go back.

They don't. If you have no manager and stadium pics assigned, no 2048x2048 kits uploaded and there are no 1024x1024 kits uploaded that are not used ingame and you are still running out of space: you have applied too many 3rd and 4th kits.
Delete some in Edit mode and delete the image files accordingly as well and make sure no manager, stadium or 2048x2048 kits are uploaded.

its ridiculous in 2016 with a 500 gb hard drive i have to pick and choose the bare minimum files , konami are a disgrace

After being amazed at the difference, but frustrated that I was getting hammered by equal opposition, I had a long play-session last night, and here are my thoughts (and I'd hope the videos I've uploaded over the last couple of weeks etc. give me some credit here)...

• On PA0, I held down the "manual pass" shoulder button permanently and passed the ball around for 25 minutes (game-time), then let go and passed around until the end of the half. I did this over the course of four games (eight halves). I saw no difference whatsoever. I tried hitting them slightly off-course and way off-course, and no PA0 "correction" or "finesse" took place. (I was convinced, to start with, that there was - in-fact, that's what I set out to prove rather than disprove - but after more than an hour of trying to back that up, I couldn't.)

Of course that shouldn't be the solution,but right now,playing manual is the closest.
And also I believe that using your different tactic options on your d pad gets your game variation.
If you have two defensive and offensive tactics setup,then all four are in play when you start,they can mess a lot up,clicking them off,or using one or the other depending on opposition,plus increasing or decreasing attack/def levels.
I know how you feel,struggled a lot to.
I strongly believe all the answers are right in front of you,and using these things right will sort your problems,
Otherwise,there's always Lego Chris:) ( hope you know I'm only kidding right)
Keep at it

Otherwise,there's always Lego Chris:) ( hope you know I'm only kidding right)
Keep at it
I know, I know. :)

I'd just be interested for other people to do the same tests I did, in terms of holding down the manual button for passes for half-a-half, then letting go and doing normal PA0 passes for the other half-a-half (you need that instant contrast or it's easy to let the half-time break fool you).

Because after doing that, I'm pretty sure in my own mind that they're identical, and that the only stats difference with the passes is how they're received (and not how they're made) - and with that being the case, I think PA1 is the way to go.

As I said, I set out to prove the opposite point to myself (because I was convinced there was a difference between manual and PA0) but... Put it like this - as Hull, Henriksen is my most creative player, and on PA1 I rely on him for everything. On PA0, I'm hitting hard direct passes from my defenders and they're just as incisive - if not more so, because trying to get a pass to a midfielder proves 10x more difficult once the AI defenders back and blocking what should be simple passes (and unless I start playing 20 minute matches I don't get enough chances to get more than ONE decent shot off per game)...

Last edited:

I'd just be interested for other people to do the same tests I did, in terms of holding down the manual button for passes for half-a-half, then letting go and doing normal PA0 passes for the other half-a-half (you need that instant contrast or it's easy to let the break fool you). Because after doing that, I'm pretty sure in my own mind that they're identical, and that the only stats difference with the passes is how they're received (and not how they're made) - and with that being the case, I think PA1 is the way to go.
Hear what your saying pal.
The thing that gets me playing PA0, is that the game just plays differently,to me,less on rails.
Could be a placebo,who knows.
But yes,agree that PA1 should have more errors built in,like the other game has.
To me this game has always played best on PA0,and on Proffesional difficulty( even though I'm on TP) and the other game is probably played best on proffesional aswell.
Tricky balance,and I don't think we can have it all.
Each difficulty and each level of assisted or non assisted has its benefits/cons,and key is to find some that suits you.
Mine is TP and PA0,not just because how my players play,but mostly how CPU plays.
Tough,holding good lines,and also not getting over 80-85 in passing %
We all now how frustrating it is chasing down teams with insane passing

Hear what your saying pal.
The thing that gets me playing PA0, is that the game just plays differently,to me,less on rails.
Could be a placebo,who knows.
But yes,agree that PA1 should have more errors built in,like the other game has.
To me this game has always played best on PA0,and on Proffesional difficulty( even though I'm on TP) and the other game is probably played best on proffesional aswell.
Tricky balance,and I don't think we can have it all.
Each difficulty and each level of assisted or non assisted has its benefits/cons,and key is to find some that suits you.
Mine is TP and PA0,not just because how my players play,but mostly how CPU plays.
Tough,holding good lines,and also not getting over 80-85 in passing %
We all now how frustrating it is chasing down teams with insane passing
i play PA0 with broadcast camera and professional level was killing me...4-0 2-0
so i switched back to regular level until i get much better, but i like this level because the cpu doesn't make perfect crosses, headers, shooting and speed of cpu players doesn't catch up to you as fast like top player.

this camera with manual is hard but addicting.

Don't leave us in suspense.. .. what is it?
patenting it:LMAO:

Last edited:

I was on Top player and started to get very unfair odd scorelines . . so I switched to professional and found it too easy for the first 5 matches . . .. but now I'm also taking a couple of beatings and draws. I went to AC Milan's ground and beat them in the Tim cup but went out on aggregate .. . ... but the next couple of matches in Serie B I lost 1 and was lucky to draw another against mediocre teams .. so I don't think it's your personal tactics.

i play PA0 with broadcast camera and professional level was killing me...4-0 2-0
so i switched back to regular level until i get much better, but i like this level because the cpu doesn't make perfect crosses, headers, shooting and speed of cpu players doesn't catch up to you as fast like top player.

You're winding me up . .aren't you?

I dont find either PA0 or PA1 satisfying. I dont normally play manual on any football game because, while I can do it, it always feels a bit empty to me.

I now play PA0 just because there is a bit more variety to what happens in terms of receiving the ball and where the pass will go, but to me a player like Kroos doesnt feel much like Kroos on PA0. Sometimes I misplace the pass, but that was me. I can also play a tricky 50yard diagonal when under pressure just as well with Kroos as some random Serie B player, but again it feels like it was me that did it.

On PA1 Kroos does feel exactly like Kroos, but then so does the random serie b player as well.

Its annoying because I love the game, so many elements are fantastic, I just cant find much satisfaction in the passing play. Just more stat based error in PA1 would to me be great.

Lower difficulties are always the best.
If I could start over,id play with a team that has an ovr of 70 something,that would make proffesional and under be a challenge.
I'll think you'll get back to proffesional and above once comfy
I've edited the touch line camera into a broadcast view,so I play with something similar to yours

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a pack for all default team logos, kits and names on PS4? These are the only things I want to change, because I only play online so no need for OF (if the kits, namesand logos arent part of the OF, I dont know :( ). Thanks.

Last edited:

I'd just be interested for other people to do the same tests I did, in terms of holding down the manual button for passes for half-a-half, then letting go and doing normal PA0 passes for the other half-a-half (you need that instant contrast or it's easy to let the half-time break fool you).

Because after doing that, I'm pretty sure in my own mind that they're identical, and that the only stats difference with the passes is how they're received (and not how they're made) - and with that being the case, I think PA1 is the way to go.

As I said, I set out to prove the opposite point to myself (because I was convinced there was a difference between manual and PA0) but... Put it like this - as Hull, Henriksen is my most creative player, and on PA1 I rely on him for everything. On PA0, I'm hitting hard direct passes from my defenders and they're just as incisive - if not more so, because trying to get a pass to a midfielder proves 10x more difficult once the AI defenders back and blocking what should be simple passes (and unless I start playing 20 minute matches I don't get enough chances to get more than ONE decent shot off per game)...

I don't know about the experience playing the COM, I play almost 100% online. I've heard a lot of other complaints, from manual players who play vs COM, that the defensive prowess from AI is inhumanly reactive in last ditch situations.

About the difference in difficulty of playing passes with defenders and with midfielders, I feel the same as you do. It feels like the game is designed so that in open areas, your players stats don't make much difference - they can play long, short passes without much errors. But as you put defenders near them, close down some lanes, and maybe even apply pressure, the accuracy of passes start to differ, from player to player. I've put Verratti in a midfield role, and then I've put Ousmane Dembele in the same position. Verratti doesn't seem to be flustered by playing passes when contained in tight space and tight passing windows, while Ousmane messes up and loses the ball a lot more. That's when I see the stat difference. This was in manual, I haven't tried it in assisted passing, but I think it's probably similar. Out in open areas, there's really not much passing stats difference I can feel from any player.

Another situation. I have Ruben Semedo, 66 low pass, 57 lofted pass, as my CB. He plays short and long passes without any errors. But somehow, when placed under pressure, he under-hits passes A LOT. Passes to teammates next to him, or passes back to goal keeper, just kept stopping short of arriving. I've been losing possession a lot like this. Out in the open, I don't really feel he's not reliable.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like the motto to play this year, is "do not attempt anything that is not part of your player's skill set". But this feeling only kicks in, when you put some defenders between my passing lanes, or if you place a player close to my ball carrier. Out in the open, I feel absolutely no difference.

About manual vs assisted, my earlier response was directed at your fouls video, a lot of those fouls are instigated by how your initial pass was slightly off-angled, and your player has to adjust and move a little, so as to meet and control the pass. It looks like it sets the COM in motion, trying to close you down, as you are moving, they are moving too. And then the tackle occurs. I'm just wondering, if all of that happens, if the pass was not initially slightly off-target. Because it's really about all the interaction that gets set into motion, from the initial off-target pass. From what I see, the slightly off-target passes don't occurs as much (that's the gradation I mentioned before) in PA1. If it's slightly off-target in PA1, there's a higher percentage of them that will snap to feet, because of computed correction. That's the way I understand the situation.

Good question about the L2 modifier vs manual PA0 setting.

It used to be, in 16 and before, that L2 is the true "manual manual" pass, where it overrides the PA0 behavior and it becomes exact to your inputs. But L2 doesn't feel like that anymore. It still feels different from PA0, but I'm not sure what constitutes the difference.

There's heavy stats limitation this year, half of the response I've heard from manual players are saying they can't do the things they want (they think the game plays for them). The other half just thinks that the stats matter more this year. They also feel that the stats override in L2 manual-manual is gone, you can no longer override stats from finger inputs, in L2. Not quite sure about all this, everyone is still exploring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom