PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

aside from a few minor niggles im loving this game alot, i understand people can get frustrated cos long range shots are hard to go in let alone try and create space for a shot depending on difficulty, from what iv learned so far, dont even bother trying a long range shot with a player under 80 for kicking power its not enough to get by the keeper, and i honestly love that, what iv done and does work and they do go in from time to time is any player with usually over +80 kicking power and with the long ranger card, providing there is a player in my team, i focus only on them to unleash, but you also have to have +80 finish if you are chance to put one through as well in the upper left/right corner, and they are very very hard to pull off and they should be, long gone are the previous versions where you could shoot with ease with anyone nice top left hand corner shots, i had no excitement with that at all and in the end you quickly lose interest playing, with this game when one does go in from far its an awesome fist pumping feeling, which has been missing for me for a very very long time and it also provides playing this game longer than 2/3 months, welcome back pes.

aside from a few minor niggles im loving this game alot, i understand people can get frustrated cos long range shots are hard to go in let alone try and create space for a shot depending on difficulty, from what iv learned so far, dont even bother trying a long range shot with a player under 80 for kicking power its not enough to get by the keeper, and i honestly love that, what iv done and does work and they do go in from time to time is any player with usually over +80 kicking power and with the long ranger card, providing there is a player in my team, i focus only on them to unleash, but you also have to have +80 finish if you are chance to put one through as well in the upper left/right corner, and they are very very hard to pull off and they should be, long gone are the previous versions where you could shoot with ease with anyone nice top left hand corner shots, i had no excitement with that at all and in the end you quickly lose interest playing, with this game when one does go in from far its an awesome fist pumping feeling, which has been missing for me for a very very long time and it also provides playing this game longer than 2/3 months, welcome back pes.
i agree about this, im playing the pc version after i modded the pitch and got the bundesliga teams, game looks so good now at least for my taste, ultra hd pitch, and the lighting looks really good in day matches, i ve suffered a lot to make long range shots especially on superstar difficulty and playing manual passing.

Right, I think I've finally found my level (hint: not at all high!)

Previously I was playing Top Player with passing and shooting assist turned on and it was pissing me off. No fun at all. However, last night I dropped it down to Professional and switched on manual shooting - I will never go back to manual passing after dabbling with it a bit more recently. Way too frustrating. The biggest change I made though was dropping the game speed to -1. Wow, this has made such a big difference to me; I actually have a little more time to assess the pitch and decide my next move. I can now string passages of play together and get shots away. I'm still poor at shooting manually but it'll come.

Much, much better.

Previously I was playing Top Player with passing and shooting assist turned on and it was pissing me off. No fun at all. However, last night I dropped it down to Professional and switched on manual shooting - I will never go back to manual passing after dabbling with it a bit more recently. Way too frustrating. The biggest change I made though was dropping the game speed to -1. Wow, this has made such a big difference to me; I actually have a little more time to assess the pitch and decide my next move. I can now string passages of play together and get shots away. I'm still poor at shooting manually but it'll come.

Much, much better.

Good to hear your enjoying it again, even playing on regular till you get used to the manual passing is nothing to be ashamed about mate, still provides a decent challenge till you get the hang of the passing, regular isn't as easy as you think.

Much, much better.
This game is not designed to be played at less than zero, everything is in slowmotion when u play at -1 the animations of shooting the shot speed and the keeper animation all suffer from the diminished gamespeed, u should get used to 0 coz its what the game was designed to be played at.

I have such a hard time understanding people saying that manual passing takes away players individuality. For the fun of it (and to test this) I played with PSG online yesterday one match and with Sunderland one match. I tried constantly to use Veratti to play killer through balls and and fast passes to wingers etc and it was pure joy, I felt in control and his passing stat really showes despite me using manual passing (which, as many has pointed out, isn't really fully manual this year, L2+X is). Then switched to Sunderland and trying to force Cattermole to do the same. Do I have to tell you I didn't have the same success?

I Think other stats and the players individual traits (like Build up, Weighted pass or One touch pass, which Veratti posses for example) plays in as much as the "low pass"- stat. Or rather, the combination of them all (or lack of) makes a player a better or worse passing player.

Also, I switched to PA1 and then went online and it was horrible. Then u could really talk about lack of individuality when people blindly one touch- pass their way through midfield.

^ have to agree to disagree I got to the semi final of a cup on full manual and when I made a sub it was simply for pace and not much else..feels like any player can do any cross the same if you get it right equally a simple cross from messi can be skied ..does manual require more player skill..yeah most definitely but it doesn't make it more realistic

Semi-Assist : The cursor will switch automatically on attack but must be done manually on defense.----------BULLSHIT!---------- It's killing me!!.......Switching my player on defense at the worst possible times..........When on corners it switches to the player behind the player that's heading the ball leaving you defenseless.

Why hasn't this been fixed?

Last edited:
My main problem is that the difference between manual and PA1 is too big, PA1 is way assisted and therefore also takes away individuality. I guess it's up everyones own preferences but since I'm a online- player there is no doubt to which makes the game great, offline it might be a different story.

I find manual is still Stat based

One thing though and I challenge any manual player

The little layoff pass. Is it even possible? I want video evidence.

I struggle the most with the simplest of passes. It seems that the game corrects long passes better than the short passes.

This game can be very difficult and frustrating at times if you don't intimately know the strengths and weaknesses of the players on your team and how to use them effectively.:SMOKIN:

I find manual is still Stat based

One thing though and I challenge any manual player

The little layoff pass. Is it even possible? I want video evidence.

I struggle the most with the simplest of passes. It seems that the game corrects long passes better than the short passes.

Zee did you ever tap x twice? It takes the pace from the pass if your player is close.

I read someone say something along the lines of "when you play the stronger teams you win or draw, then you play the weaker teams and they beat you, which shows how the scripting works".

I didn't give it much thought, but in my last 6 games (as Hull) I've drawn 0-0 and 1-1 with Man Utd and Arsenal, whilst getting beat by West Brom (2-1), Burnley (2-0), Sunderland (2-0) and Stoke (2-1).

I mentioned difficulty levels in the ML thread - I'm playing on Top Player because it reduces the instant psychic passing by the AI (which I can't accept), but in the Arsenal game, the minute I scored, that seemed to come back. Using "Advanced Tactics", I packed the box and went on all-out defence, and it took them three minutes game-time to equalise.

I don't want to drop the difficulty yet (and I don't want to win against Arsenal with Hull!) - I'm still experimenting (I'm waiting for the perfect option file before taking it seriously), but... I do find that weird, the better results coming against the (much) better teams.

I read someone say something along the lines of "when you play the stronger teams you win or draw, then you play the weaker teams and they beat you, which shows how the scripting works".

I didn't give it much thought, but in my last 6 games (as Hull) I've drawn 0-0 and 1-1 with Man Utd and Arsenal, whilst getting beat by West Brom (2-1), Burnley (2-0), Sunderland (2-0) and Stoke (2-1).

I mentioned difficulty levels in the ML thread - I'm playing on Top Player because it reduces the instant psychic passing by the AI (which I can't accept), but in the Arsenal game, the minute I scored, that seemed to come back. Using "Advanced Tactics", I packed the box and went on all-out defence, and it took them three minutes game-time to equalise.

I don't want to drop the difficulty yet (and I don't want to win against Arsenal with Hull!) - I'm still experimenting (I'm waiting for the perfect option file before taking it seriously), but... I do find that weird, the better results coming against the (much) better teams.

In my ML I comfortably beat Chelsea 0-5 away from home. Could of been more. So easy. Then lost 3-0 to Crystal Palace. Every shot I had at goal was either meh or wide. Every attack they had they looked like scoring from it. Its so random. I was doing fine at the start of the season, then we started drawing and losing really stupid games that I never really felt I could prevent. I didnt change my players around, formation or tactics during this period, to keep spirit high. However I've won the last 8 or 9 games in a row. How I beat Arsenal away during that run I'll never know in a month of sundays, the rubberbanding was seriously unreal, worst I've experienced so far. I actually got a penalty in that game....and they even dived for one and got one just 2 minutes after mine. 2-3 to me it finished. I literally just held onto the ball for the last 5 minutes.

In my ML I won 7 games, drew 8 and lost 19 of the 34 I played... didnt bother with the last few as this was more of a test the waters effort.

Thats in Serie A, Top Player, full manual. I wasnt a big team myself and my wins came against Pescara (x2), Udinese, Bologna, Empoli, Chievo and Genoa. I did manage to draw with Roma, AC Milan and Napoli, but lost in the main to the bigger teams. Never got thumped, 3-0 was my worst defeat in all that, flipside I think my best win was 2-0.

Made the Coppa Italia Q/F losing to Inter in the end.

I mean im not arguing what you say above as if thats what happened or you feel, then thats it. But this is from my experience (albeit just 1 season), the big teams felt tougher overall, the only noticeable difference is that they played more openly and maybe a bit more possessive, which gave me a bit more freedom at times. Smaller teams went direct and probed alot more quickly, without gambling at the back.

I have such a hard time understanding people saying that manual passing takes away players individuality. For the fun of it (and to test this) I played with PSG online yesterday one match and with Sunderland one match. I tried constantly to use Veratti to play killer through balls and and fast passes to wingers etc and it was pure joy, I felt in control and his passing stat really showes despite me using manual passing (which, as many has pointed out, isn't really fully manual this year, L2+X is). Then switched to Sunderland and trying to force Cattermole to do the same. Do I have to tell you I didn't have the same success?

I Think other stats and the players individual traits (like Build up, Weighted pass or One touch pass, which Veratti posses for example) plays in as much as the "low pass"- stat. Or rather, the combination of them all (or lack of) makes a player a better or worse passing player.

Also, I switched to PA1 and then went online and it was horrible. Then u could really talk about lack of individuality when people blindly one touch- pass their way through midfield.
Of course there's player individuality in manual.
All of us who play ML manual knows that.
Most claims that it t doesn't,comes from people who usually play PA1-3 and can't handle manual,or wants a easy way out by saying that.

no as close to as way they play as possible, ive taken chimps ideas on global stat editing(from when we worked together on pes2011) and had great success working with the german phoenix team on pes 6 using the same method, so I'm hoping knowing konami the same designers have made the same fixable errors , I watch a shit load of football anyway so it should be decent

Good to hear what you are planning to do. Have you found a global editor then? I know I asked before and you said there wasn't .

Much, much better.

Pleased you are enjoying it a bit more. Yes Prof is still difficult especially on manual. Yes and even the drop in speed is good. I dropped it down but gone back to 0 now,

long pass accuracy is ridicules and obviously over power ... specially in crosses.
I am not manual player, but it shouldn't be 30-40% goal score chance even on assisted passing.
they should reduce all players long ball accuracy stats by 20-30% ...
it's really easy to solve this problem by a simple coding to make stats 95 do a job like current 75 ... (even I can do it on edit mode manually but it's really time consuming for a user)
it's a huge shame to Konami if they don't solve it in next update !

I think by next year or two PES will be the best football game ever made. Gameplay needs some new additions, PES 2017 still isn't there yet, it's the best PES for me or FIFA if that even matters, but there are still things I would like them to add, change or fix. Animations needs a big improvement especially off the ball players. It's also time for a footplanting system. Next year needs to be evolutionary. I think we should have had this PES last year, they learned from their mistakes at least and they need to keep that going. So far PES 2017 is such a blast to play in ML.

Yeah I´ve been saying that either. Keep the gameplay as it is, only make minor little tweaks were it´s necessary and concentrate on the bells and whistles.
But then you know, it´s KONAMI.
How many times did they release a good PES and the next year was something different in a negative way?

Penalty shoot outs are awful ..feels so scripted..scored 4 out of 5 same as the AI then in sudden death both ai and myself missed first 4 each then they scored the 5th ..on my last pen I tapped the power button and it skied it ...rubbish

I don´t like them either. In fact I don´t like penalties in general no matter PES or FIFA. It looks awkward in both games.
The only ones I like have been on PES 2010 (or was it 2011?) where you had the normal game cam from the side (not from behind) and had to move the stick to aim, up or down.

The biggest joke about pes online is im the only person ive met so far who players possession football. In over 100 matches i havent met one person who is anything other than front pressure and counter attack

I´ve had one of my best online game with a mate I know from several PES forums. We had full manual matches...the best I had ever. So exciting, every little mistake could cost you a goal. I´d recommend to look for communities or link up with people from this forum. We even have an Evo web community on PS4, but there´s hardly anyone playing.
Want some game (full manual), hit me up, my PSN: chief_rakeem

Weird, not sure why this would be a problem. I would be happy if the default Dynamic wide- camera was zoomed out just a tad bit more though.

I hate that either. If you have an online match and try to get into the cam setting menu, you see the levels greyed out and there you see they aren´t even zoomed out to the max.

To drive that home, I spoke to a member of these forums from years ago yesterday - Tim7, if anyone remembers - and his comments were along the lines of "PES runs like shit online so FIFA is the better game".

I can't really argue with that, having only played it online a few times and not having the smoothest of experiences at least 33% of the time.

This and it´s FUT vs myclub. I think that the myclub mode was one of the worst decisions taken by KONAMI.
My son just started FUT 17 and is saving FIFA points, so he can buy the players HE wants to have.
In myclub you have that roulette system and never know what player you´ll get. That´s a) counterproductive to youngsters who just don´t have that patience spending thousands of GP´s until they get players they like and b) in my opinion it just supports micro transactions that way.
They should have kept MLO, work on it and on more stable servers to have a slight more chance to keep up with EA.

i've had one bad online game in about 15. it can't just be me? why does everyone say online is shit? granted the modes are poor but it runs well for me

Worked fine for me either...even I´m playing via WIFI. It´s just myclub online which is laggy sometimes when you have a special GP game.

I've now settled on PA1 and manual shooting ..I have no problems with manual passing other than it reduces individuality too much ..for me this is what PES was all about..bringing a player into the game that can change it..I don't get that enough on manual passing ..on PA1 I brought rooney on and the impact on the game stood out

Tbh, is there any individuality on assisted passing? I doubt that. When playing assisted, every pass goes directly to the players feet, no matter whom I chose to pass. The only stats where I see a difference between players is pace, body strength, agility, kicking power and height.
But not really in passing. Also not on manual. Passes are either well aimed or not and if not, an opponent might have his foot in between.
Couldn´t ever go back to assisted passing. The only stat on manual passing that matters is my aiming.
And then it´s me when like I have Iniesta or Kroos, I automatically strain myself to perfoem a nice pass.
Pulled off a beautiful throughball between two opponents which I doubt that I had ever managed to do on assisted.

Game still plays very well. It´s about time looking for an OF to finally start a ML.

I remember PES14 I was Wigan on ML and lost my first 5 games to the dregs like Sunderland & WBA yet went to Liverpool and beat them 7-0.

I applied that tactics patch and played as West Ham v Stoke and as Arsenal v Sunderland.

Not sure if its placebo but I seemed to given a lot more fouls - 5 in one game. Still 0 pens despite Sanchez having his head kicked off his shoulders.

I remember PES14 I was Wigan on ML and lost my first 5 games to the dregs like Sunderland & WBA yet went to Liverpool and beat them 7-0.

I applied that tactics patch and played as West Ham v Stoke and as Arsenal v Sunderland.

Not sure if its placebo but I seemed to given a lot more fouls - 5 in one game. Still 0 pens despite Sanchez having his head kicked off his shoulders.

Is the tactics patch the one from PES Universe?

Been reading the discussion about passing with some interest.

Honest opinion: I think we are barking up the wrong tree regards pass error. Yes, there should be error and in my experience with the game it is there, but it isn't implemented in a fashion that that the code goes "Pass error! Pass will miss target" It sometimes does, and maybe could be a touch more prevalent at PA1, but hopefully that is what feedback can help bring about. I know, "BUT IT SHOULD BE LIKE THAT ANYWAY!" which is fair enough, but the game needs to lure. FIFA's defaults are all Auto, unless you are a returning player, but even then EVERY SINGLE YEAR I am dicking about with pass support options in that game, and I am sure I am not the only one.

Currently, PA1 offers a fluid experience which I'm sorry, is not as simple as press X and pass accuracy guaranteed. Direction of pass? Yeah for the most part. Effectiveness? Most effective execution? Most effective speed? No. Just no. That is driven by stats and other factors as me toiling with ML Defaults in Serie B highlights. Come out ML and pick a more capable team, even just slightly more capable, then the difference is vast. Move up through the quality of teams and it becomes more and more apparent that the design choice here is to prioritise pass effectiveness and execution over accuracy. I don't have a problem with that.

The accuracy, the precision of the passing found in the game, is dictated more by quality of in execution in delivery, speed of delivery, weight in delivery, spin on delivery, than it is direction/error. Countless times last night I was being found out in my passing game by the AI not because it was cheating me, but because I was playing, for the individuals at my disposal, what might as well be termed "hollywood balls" even if they weren't always exactly that. I was playing a way in which my players couldn't execute in the same way a superior team could. I was trying to do that, and sometimes it would work, but that would again be because of realistic influences: I caught a recipients marker out of position this time; markers momentum caught him flat footed; my player passing the ball was shaped to make that pass and the chances of it being effective had increased. On top of all that, my players stats were such that their awareness and movement impacted on their ability to control, or that their body position and simply making the right angle to recieve a pass was not always as it could be, thus a great deal of the time the recipient would come under close attention before the pass was being recieved. My long ball game was atrocious because I was forcing it and both passer and recipient just weren't in tandem.

I kinda like it being like that, though that is not to say that now the lure stage is complete, they shouldn't try patch just a tiny bit more error on PA1.

PS - ML with ML Defaults and manual passing on Superstar is like the Dark Souls/Bloodborne of football videogames. Brutal but so rewarding. Have went back to PA1 for the moment on Top Player but once my team gets stronger will bump up the difficulty and then after that re-introduce manual passing. On manual passing, I honestly feel it is the best implementation of manual passing I have ever experienced in a football game.

Last edited:
Good Points curdstar. I Think we have too remember that when playing online most people pick the strongest teams, and the strongest team have the best passing players. And when that happens, and set too PA1, the game becomes the classic ping- pong party. Add high pressure and people playing insanse formations with ONE midfielder and the rest attacking players we no longer have a football game.

So online, manual passing is a must f u want to have some enjoyment (imo).

Offline, playing the AI, is of course something else.

Last edited:
i sit there and play online competitions with the likes of ireland and burnley with my manual passing and shooting. I barely win a game but the challenge is so enjoyable and it's complete rewarding when you score. sure my online record is now disasterous but i've never cared about winning that badly anyway!.

made the knockout of an online comp yesterday and came across an 880 rated player playing as germany. just one touch L1+X ping pong stuff and he only scraped a 1-0 win, how he gets any satisfaction playing a game like that is beyond me

Good post! Completely agree

Quick question:

If I download and apply the live update, but choose not to save to overwrite my edit data, will the update changes still apply and show in edit mode? Like we were instructed to do with the pack updates, from previous PES's.

I want to make sure the live update changes apply in my teams without the need to overwrite my edit data. If the changes do apply, I can then go into edit mode and save manually to keep the changes.

Back
Top Bottom